Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
How do you deal the pressure of everyday life?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Duronva Sol

High-functioning Allegiant

7,000 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:00 pm
This question came to mind while ending a study that was first focused on 1 John 2: 1-14. The footnotes on the bottom of the pages made a reference to John 13: 34-35, which led to what you might call an Bible easter egg hunt. How do each of each deal with the pressure of everyday life?

What I mean by this question is: What kind of television shows do you watch? If so, what kind? These kind of things.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:09 am
I'll put the verses up so others can easily read it:
1 John 2:1-14 (ESV)

Christ Our Advocate
2 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

The New Commandment
7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard. 8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because(a) the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. 9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him(b) there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

12 I am writing to you, little children,
because your sins are forgiven for his name's sake.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
I write to you, children,
because you know the Father.
14 I write to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God abides in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.

Footnotes:
(a)1 John 2:8 Or that
(b)1 John 2:10 Or it

John 13:34-35 (ESV)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

I am actually confused with the connection of John 13:34-35 --> easter egg hunt (pagan celebration) --> pressure in life and television shows. But I'll try to address as I can:

I do not watch television show much lately but when I do, it is important to watch show which is appropriate and building-up our characters.
If you watch too much shows on bad news. How about turn it off and read the good news (Bible) instead? It will give us more perspective to see God's work in every problem.

Phil 4:8 ESV
Finally, brothers, whatever is true , whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

joeychips

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:36 am
To prepare for the pressures of life, what helps me is this:
- Waking up early to stretch
- Praying my heart out
- Reading the Bible
- Applying what I have learned in the Scriptures

As to your question about TV shows, we don't have a TV so I rarely watch TV. But we try to watch one or two online shows a week, but they need to be generally pure-hearted stuff like The Flash or Columbo or Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:52 am
Sullen SnowAngel
This question came to mind while ending a study that was first focused on 1 John 2: 1-14. The footnotes on the bottom of the pages made a reference to John 13: 34-35, which led to what you might call an Bible easter egg hunt. How do each of each deal with the pressure of everyday life?

What I mean by this question is: What kind of television shows do you watch? If so, what kind? These kind of things.

Whatever pressures or anxieties I have, I give to God. Praying to him about it, listening to his Word. There is an inward dialogue with him about everything that crosses my eyesight (and ears), whether we agree with it or not, what should we do about it, if I am in a position to help or is praying the most I can do? And that happens with whatever information or circumstance that crosses my path; so, if it's causing anxiety in me, it's now my nature to quickly hand that off to him in prayer and pray about it until I get peace about the situation.

• Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

• Psalm 55:22 (NIV)

22 Cast your cares on the Lord
        and he will sustain you;
        he will never let
        the righteous be shaken.

TV is not something I watch for mere pleasure anymore. But as a talking point so I can help others recognize—by virtue of what happened in the scene—what sin or love looks like. And help them sympathize and put themselves in another's shoes (i.e. the villain is human too, put yourself in their shoes; what would make them grow up to be this way). Put simply, I'm seeking to leave a short comment that reflects YHWH's perspective on what just went down, and with that comment leave an impact on the spiritual walk of other people (if not, ignite the spiritual walk in that living soul). Online or offline, we're interacting with people's minds, the unseen, their heart. That comment is usually left in the comment section of the video or, as some websites/apps provide, timed-comments to pop-up during the "moment" of the scene you're watching.

It's not something that I do often because some shows take too much of an emotional toll on me, or I disagree with what they're doing and don't want to give them my support by continuing to watch; I want them to know the exact moment I left the video and why. If it's a variety/reality game show, like Running Man, there's just so much idle talk, disrespect of the human body (temple of God) and needless flirtation—adultery/fornication in spirit—going on that it's virtually impossible to enjoy. It doesn't alleviate stress, it causes it. And if I'm feeding myself that type of information regularly, I start walking in their sinful attitudes. I've programmed myself to be like them. But for the sake of reaching the lost (and this glimmer of hope in me that they will change), I'll watch and make a comment on something (not to mention pray for the talent involved on the show).

That said, a word of warning: be careful because, like I said, some shows actually cause the anxiety in you in the first place (they leave you worrying about the characters, hours—even days—after the episode ends. Reminding yourself, intellectually, that they're just actors, this person isn't real, doesn't actually help because your heart is manipulated by emotions and involved in their storyline at that point. You'll have to spend time in prayer and meditation, worshiping God in song, to snap out of it. So I don't even bother if the show doesn't reflect selfless love, redemption of evil characters who develop a heart later, after recognizing their evil. Or is a light hearted variety show, but again, there is so much idle words and hate that I barely tolerate the latter anymore).

Careful not to turn TV shows into an idol (replacement God) and be the one that saves you from your anxieties. The peace that the world gives is only a mere distraction. It won't last as soon as the show/distraction is over (and it might actually add to your anxiety, inner-turmoil and breed sinful attitudes within you). And if you model your behavior after the protagonist, chances are, unless the character is modeled after Jesus, they will lead you wrong. But your heart will be so swayed to "idolize" the character, because of how it's edited and written (your heart recognizes when something is being portrayed as good—whether it actually is or not, the Word of God has the final say—but your heart will be swayed to copy them); you will start acting and talking (if not merely parroting) things they say, or gestures they make. Ergo, you can say you don't have idols, but your heart, emotions and inner-man, what you end up mimicking, says otherwise.

So, do not become dependent on TV-shows to resolve anxiety or be your Savior in any way. It is a snare. And definitely not something you watch with your guard down. Pray to God and feed on his word to alleviate the anxiety.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Duronva Sol

High-functioning Allegiant

7,000 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:28 pm
Thank you for the advice, guys.

I am trying to watch family and kid friendly channels like Nick (the 90s), TVland and DisneyXD. It's going to take time to keep myself from turning on the television since I can hear the news from my open door, the source of the stress. Forgive me for referencing John 13: 34- 35 as an easter egg hunt, that's the only way I could think of it at the time.

However, I am also making an effort to go back listening to WayFM full time. Admitedly, I've been slipping and that scares me.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:36 pm
Sullen SnowAngel
Thank you for the advice, guys.

I am trying to watch family and kid friendly channels like Nick (the 90s), TVland and DisneyXD. It's going to take time to keep myself from turning on the television since I can hear the news from my open door, the source of the stress. Forgive me for referencing John 13: 34- 35 as an easter egg hunt, that's the only way I could think of it at the time.

However, I am also making an effort to go back listening to WayFM full time. Admitedly, I've been slipping and that scares me.

Do you get a channel called MeTV? It's like TVLand, but is more appropriate and puts more focus on older shows (like how TVLand used to be...).

WayFM is an excellent radio station. I listen to it with my mom when she takes me to school on fridays.  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces