Submit

Should I stay or should I go?
  Stay and work it out
  Give him the boot
View Results

Haiku

Bashful Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Hello ladies! Today I've been in a bit of a depressive fit. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today and have just felt a bunch of negativity around me. There's something that has been weighing on my mind as of lately. My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly five years, and when ever it comes to talking about getting married, or having kids, he always just brushes it off. I'll try asking little questions like "what kind of baby names do you like?" or "when will we get married?" and I always get an "I dunno" "it's whatever" kind of answer. I've been pretty down today because I can't help but think about it. I'm not getting any younger here, and I feel like this is truly someone I want to grow old with. Sometimes I feel like my partner secretly doesn't want to be with me. I was his first girlfriend, so maybe he'd like to try dating other people?

Here's a little about us:
We met in high school a couple of years back. Right now we're 21(me) and 22(him). We both work for the same company and live together with our two dogs.

The extent of my boyfriend's future seems to be buying an arcade cabinet. He seems to have no interest in furthering his education, or doing anything productive to our future. Honestly I'm not quite sure what to do. I try to help him better himself, but you know how the saying goes "I can't help you, If you can't help yourself". Right now I feel like we're in a tight spot. I want to travel the world, and do fun exciting things I've never done before but my boyfriend seems so content with the way everything is now. I need a little advice if you can. Thanks~

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:52 pm
Chemism

I understand how you feel, I went through this. Its hard, i know. But you got to think of the pros and cons. Your situation sounds a lot like mind did. I have a good head on my shoulders, i want to live comfortably and travel but my boyfriend (well...ex) was interested in just chilling all the time. Didn't want to work because he hated being told what to do. And he wasnt interested in going to college at all. (it was honestly the biggest fight to get him not to drop out)
I sat down and thought of the good things. Sure, we had great times together, and I loved him. But that wont pay bills. That will keep me struggling running after a man that isnt thinking about the future. You shouldn't do all the thinking, because like you said, it leaves you slightly depressed. In my situation, I called a break for a week. We both sit and think about what we really want. Just think. And during the break it was hard, love this man but i didnt want to be the one pushing for the relationship to work. it takes time, but it does work out in the end.

My opinion is to take a small break, to really think. Distance yourself slightly.
I hope I somewhat helped at lease by sharing my bull xD  

iKinkii d a n c e r

cool4

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:58 pm
Marriage might not mean anything to him. You should try and get him to talk about the future plans, see if they fit with yours...ect.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:59 pm
There is more to this than him just not being interested in marriage or kids. It doesn't seem like he envisions the same future you do. He thinks about short term goals, doesn't want a higher education, is pretty okay with how things are when you're not. The two of you aren't on the same page. If he brushes off the next steps in a relationship you wish to have, then it sounds like you really need to sit down and consider if the two of you even want the same future.

If you were his first girlfriend, then he could possibly be feeling like he hasn't had enough experience to make those kinds of decisions and that could be one reason he brushes off your questions. Those are huge steps to make, and really, the both of you are still very young. Even if you're ready for marriage or even kids in the near future, it doesn't mean he will be or will ever really consider doing either. Some people never get married or have kids even though they plan to live out the rest of their lives together. It's best to get some concrete answers out of him. If you're concerned about whether or not he still wants to be with you, then you need to ask him. You need to lay out that you're thinking about the future and see if he's just not interested now but will in the future, or if he just doesn't want those things at all. The only way you'll know if it'll work is if he can talk to you about these things, because if he's not willing to talk, then there wont be much you can do about it.

Yokies

Crew

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • I Won the Titles the Titles are Mine! 500
  • Couple of Time 500

Sakaiden

Ruthless Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:54 pm
Disclaimer: I'm making some generalizations here since we haven't met. Perhaps that means I shouldn't weigh in, but I thought I'd give it a shot. If any of it is in any way rude I don't intend for it to sound that way. heart

Agreed...it sounds like you guys need to level with one another. Not in any way that could be mistaken as confrontational, of course, that won't make for a productive conversation. xd

Some people are terrified of commitment, especially if they haven't been through many relationships. It could be that you two are in separate places emotionally in regards to subjects such as this...some guys take forever to decide what they really think when it comes to marriage, and kids, and so on. It can become a quickly overwhelming topic for many. The argument could even be made that some don't possess the maturity level for that kind of discussion, y'know? (I've had many a brokenhearted girlfriend crying on my shoulder over immature men who don't/don't want to understand a damn thing.)

Now, does any of that mean he isn't worth the effort of working it out? Perhaps, but then again, perhaps not. I think that decision is best reserved for after you have a heart-to-heart with him. Maybe just try having that serious conversation with him, no brushing it off, no squirming away, no raised voices, none of that...just facts on the table, and figure yourselves out. If nothing else, and you really wanna work things out, compromises could be made in both your favor and his, no?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:59 pm
I agree with those who have said you need to sit down and talk to him. Lay the cards down on the table and see what happens. I married at 20 to what I thought was the love of my life, and turns out it wasn't, ending in a nasty divorce not even a year later. That experience taught me something I hope to share with others.

1. Trust your gut. If you feel something is off in your relationship, there very well may be something off. If you and he have different goals, conflict will arise sooner or later when one of you starts to walk a path that is no where near where they are going. It probably wont be intentional, but if your goals are way different, unless some sort of compromise is made, give and take, all give/all take, Even if your goals seem similar that does not mean you both desire to take the same path there. So don't be afraid to talk and figure out what's up, which leads me to #2.

2. Value yourself. Don't belittle all your goals and dreams just because they are different than his. They are different because they are your own. They don't have to be the same, they can be way different. That doesn't make them worth any less. So don't let you goals and dreams be pushed aside for his. It doesn't make you worth any less either if you choose to go on with out him. That being said, if he starts to put you down for any reason, that would be when I would end things. If that's how things are then, how would things be once you'd tie the knot?

3. Know when its over I'm not saying its over with you and your boyfriend. But take it from a girl who spent over half a year trying to salvage a marriage that was beyond a lost cause; when its over, its over. It is the unfortunate truth. Hopefully your boyfriend and yourself have the maturity my ex didn't have. Fighting, provoking each other, emotional abuse with mal-intent will only poison and lead to miserable days. I hope you never see this stage. If you do, know that there IS a way out, those who will listen and help if they can. (I apologize for getting dark all of a sudden, but when I tried to level with my ex, things didn't go so well. I hope that if/when it comes to it, you have better fortune. Don't let this discourage you from trying to figure things out! >.<).

Talk to your boyfriend and figure out what's going on. Where both of you want to be in life. Even guys who's goal is to buy an arcade cabinet should have a bigger goal.

Communication is key to a good relationship. So talk to him. See what's going on. Poke around if your questions aren't being answered. And don't be afraid of the facts, accept them for what they are.

I hope my rambling is of some use to you. Take out of it what you'd like. I wish you good luck!  

Cereza2000

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Popular Thread 100
26. ✿ - - - Boys

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items