Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Christian Advice
Reaching out to my family

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a

Timid Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:19 am
Hello everyone,

I don't post regularly, but if anyone remembers me from a previous thread all of it worked out fine and I was worried over nothing.

I've been a Christian for 5 years, and I am part of a college ministry. My family is non-religious, and my mother is the heavy supporter of atheism (or.. more specifically anything except Christianity).

My sister recently came to know Christ, and that was a major win. A long time ago someone outside the family (before I was a Christian) shared the gospel with my brother and he also accepted Christ. However, my mother ridiculed him very harshly for it and drove him to hate religion. My sister becoming a Christian is a secret (she's only 12).

I think when my brother is no longer as influenced by our parents it will be easier to share about Jesus with him.

Sharing with my parents is like hitting a brick wall though. We're originally from the soviet union, and they lived their entire lives under Soviet propaganda against religion (particularly Christianity).

My mother is very interested in politics and political history. She takes it personally that Russia was historically a hodge-podge of different faiths and then the royal family was heavy handed in introducing Christianity (and having it become the only acceptable faith).

Whenever controversial things happen in politics or news, she's usually the first to sympathize or blow it up as a topic of discussion in our family. Neither of my parents want to talk about the shooting that happened recently. Neither of them sympathize or care. (They talked about every other recent shooting, especially when it happened to children. I don't think it's racial bias, but the fact that it happened to Christians that's keeping them silent.)

[facepalm] This morning during breakfast she said that she believes in a Sun god, apparently a pre-Christian deity in Russia, and that she is convinced that aliens have something to do with early human civilizations developing. All of the summers prior she would say that she's an atheist and she doesn't accept any belief system.

Now she claims that since childhood she has had an aversion to blessed objects from the Russian church.

I don't know how to approach my mom in talking about Jesus. When she wavers between beliefs like that, I don't know if I'm speaking to an atheist, an agnostic, or a neo-pagan / spiritualist. When she makes claims like the above, I'm not sure if I'm dealing with demonic possession or just a woman that wants to pit herself against Christianity in whatever way she can.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:21 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your mom and brother. It's great that your sister has come to Christ. Your family will be in my prayers.  

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

Pickled Cactus

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:33 am
                i've prayed for your family situation. it really is great about your sister though. God bless heart

Christian Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games