Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prince Darialan

1,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm
Anyone have a problem with a song known as "Come Sweet Death?" It's from "End of Evangelion." I never actually liked the 3 episode alternate ending that that was, mostly due to what Shinji becomes.

I don't have a big problem with sad songs, too much. I avoid sad songs more lately, but not entirely. This song is a little different. I feel downright depressed when I hear it and it really rubs me the wrong way. The lyrics have absolutely no hope in them. There's mention of wanting suicide. I'm sure I've heard other songs not much different than this, but this one...I don't know.

I hear this song a little too often, because I have become close friends with a twitch.tv streamer and this is like his "goodbye for now" song.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:06 pm
Never watched anything from Evangelion or heard the song before. Decided to look it up on youtube to see what you were talking about and personally, I thought it was hilarious because the tone of the music and the lyrics don't match up at all. The melody, vocals, and instruments are all done in a cheerful, kind of playful manner where as, like you said, the lyrics themselves have absolutely no hope for the future. As I see it, this song is likely the result of Gainax's weird sense of humor, which I'm into, so it doesn't at all register on an emotional level with me as far as saddness and depression goes.

An actual depressing "Come Sweet Death" would be the J.S. Bach ones. The choir arrangement particularly gives me chills (at least until they start going into some weird attempt at a canon which doesn't at all match up and just sounds like a bunch of noise. Could do without that part... kind of ruins the whole thing.) Much less lyrics, but basically the same message as the Evangelion one and I have no doubt the Evangelion one was influenced by Bach's.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Music Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces