Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Sermons
The Supremacy of Christ and Truth in a Postmodern World

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:57 pm
The Supremacy of Christ and Truth in a Postmodern World  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:42 pm
Three things I noted that were a bit off:

#1. At 52:16, he says:

"On the one hand, you are left empty and hopeless. On the one hand, man is left worthless. On the one hand, you are left to pursue your own satisfaction and never find it. And on the other, you're precious, you have purpose, but you are powerless. But it's okay, because you were purchased".

Uh.. what? question question question Powerless?

• Romans 15:13 (NIV)

13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

• 1 Corinthians 2:4 (NIV)

4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,

• 2 Timothy 1:6-7 (NIV)

6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

• Romans 8:7-9 (NIV)

7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

• Galatians 5:22-25 (NIV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

• 1 Thessalonians 5:19 (NIV)

19 Do not quench the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit gives us power—to overcome our sinful nature that's in rebellion against God's law. We are not left powerless. Not unless you quench him / abandon him after receiving him.

#2: I don't think he clearly emphasized how the assurance we have, we only have if we stay in Christ until the end and don't quench the Spirit (and come to think of it, there was no mention of the Holy Spirit in his sermon, if I recall correctly—unless I zoned out when he mentioned him). I would add that there is no assurance as well if you blaspheme the Holy Spirit afterwards because that is the unforgivable sin afterall (Matthew 12:31), unfortunately for Ananias and Sapphira (i.e. Acts 5).

#3, lastly, the passover lamb type wasn't fully applied to the New Covenant when describing Jesus' sacrifice: we're just like those covered by the passover lamb in Moses' day (every single individual that came out of Rameses with the Israelites, including the Israelites), but if they rebelled afterwards, then they didn't make it to the promised land, despite their justification—their belief in a lamb dying in their place and their believing in that lamb and its blood to save them as God had spoken and instructed through his prophets. He's leaving it at Jesus' sacrifice as if there's no such thing as rebellion after that, as if there's no such thing as trampling his blood underfoot, yet in scripture there is. It may have disrupted the pathos he was going for, but it would've been more helpful and truthful to fully flesh-out the Lamb of God / passover lamb type. At least, going by the comments left under the video, the listener's walked away believing..."I've been purchased so that's it, hallelujah". >_>;

That said, Jesus Christ is supreme; thank God for absolute truth. We certainly must be relentless. heart

cristobela
Vice Captain

Sermons

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces