Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Online Dating

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TayoSensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:01 am
Has anyone here ever tried online dating? Whether through an app, website, or Gaia? I'm just interested to hear people's stories on how that worked out for them.

Also, I feel like venting about my online dating "attempts". Let me just say that my first serious girlfriend I met on myyearbook and we dated for almost a year or so I think during my sophomore year in high school. She wasn't my first girlfriend all together, just my first serious one.

Anyways, nowadays that I'm single after my second serious girlfriend, I've finally decided to go out and meet new people and browse through apps. What bothers me a lot is when people like your profile/pics or say they're interested but NEVER MESSAGE YOU even if you message them first! Like what the f. Why say you like me if you're not going to talk to me!?

Yes I've talked to plenty of people online and even went on a few dates here and there. I think I'm just super picky on girls. I always go after the ones that look "straight" if you know what I mean.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:44 am
I can't date most people our age. Lots of shallow/self-absorbed personality going on.
Just gotta talk to as many people as you can. Romance will happen more easily if you're not trying; less room for people to feel awkward.  

LatinBsnDude

Savvy Cub

Whoopix

Feral Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:16 pm
I actually met someone on gaia here back around 4 years ago. We were friends for about a year or so. We dated over the internet for a year, then he moved to the area I was in for college.
We started dating in real life then. But we broke up this year since I was done with his bs.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:38 am
User Image

Oh yes. I had quite a few boyfriends and girlfriends online, although back when I was a bit younger it wasn't as big of a deal. These days, though, I have to thank the internet for the most successful relationship I've ever been in. whee

It's not easy though. Communication is incredibly important, so if you can't talk openly and honestly with your partner, then it's likely it won't work out. Even if you do find someone you can talk to easily, being apart for long periods of time (or not seeing each other at all) can be really hard on you. However, if things are meant to work out, then surely the plans to visit each other and possibly move in together one day will come along. But in the meantime, just be happy and enjoy the company of the person who interests you, no matter how far away they are! It's silly to assume the right person lives in your own town... Online dating just makes it easier to find someone who's a great match!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Jazz-senpai

Beloved Kitten

4,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Married 100

Karmerruk
Crew

Dangerous Lunatic

6,475 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:14 am
TayoSensei

Met my SO online in May of 2013, met him IRL July of the same year, spent a year living together October of that year, got Engaged January 2014, and got married July 2014. I am currently spending the next four months with him, and although it's difficult having to be apart from him we're making it work. Immigration won't get off their asses until September of next year, so we've still got another two years to go before we're together permanently. Almost three years into the relationship, and 1 1/2 years of marriage I can definitely say it can work out. A lot of work is needed in LDR, but it isn't impossible. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:00 pm
i met my husband thanks to online dating. i put up a dating add on myspace years ago and we talked for a month before meeting and got engaged a few months later. just had our 4th anniversary

i got really lucky, hubby was my first try with online dating  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

FloralStardust

Shy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 pm
I tried online dating and it never worked out.. So far all of the men I met have some type of psychosis [IE the guy drinks blood or believes he's a demon spawn from hell], or they have little to no commitment just wanting a lay, and no goals in life. I have bad luck. :c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:07 am
I've tried things like tinder but never turn out well from my experiences.  

bellamyclarke

Friendly Consumer

9,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Consumer 100

linkisi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:38 pm
I've kinda come to the conclusion that chances are I will be alone... Every time I meet someone online it ends up being we be "friends" or the "oh he's nice but..." So nothing goes on from there and everyone I've met in person I have to keep this mask on about me. I guess I have an irrational fear of being rejected...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 am
Story time! So I met my fiancee right here on this site 7 years ago. We were best friends for about a year before we both admitted we liked each other. We started dating online then finally last year we were finally able to meet in real life, and now we're getting married. though not anytime soon.

I know that stuff like my story can happen, but i want to warn you that there are some jerks out there that love to screw with people. So i say go for it! Just be careful!  

Ghost Wolf15

Dapper Werewolf

6,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

blue burrow

Fashionable Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:59 pm
I actually met my first serious girlfriend in an LGBT guild on Gaia, I think it was an intro thread? We were together on and off for almost four years but it didn't work out due to some issues on her part (drugs, cheating, blah blah blah).

I think it's definitely doable, but a solid relationship is built on friendship. I've found that if you just kinda stop trying you tend to meet people you jive with. I don't bother with dating sites for that very reason.

Just be patient and you will meet people you can connect with on that level; trying to force it does absolutely nothing.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games