Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Transfiguration I (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:44 pm
Transfiguration
Professor Richard Drage

User Image
Everyday 1:00 PM - 1:45 PM
(Updated on Sundays)

This classroom is set up with rows of desks facing the front. A large chalkboard is situated at the front of the class with various equations, and a bookcase filled with books on the subject of Transfiguration set in the corner. A doorway at the front of the classroom leads to a storage closet for the various materials required for transfiguration. The professor's desk is situated in front with a book and several groups of papers neatly arranged on top of it. Lastly, the only odd bit is a stand for birds that is sitting in front of the class next to the desk. The room itself is well-lit, and while simple in design, is set up in a way that is conducive for learning the art of Transfiguration.

Rules of the Classroom
Wands will be present and visible at all times, whether on your desk or in your hand.
Horseplay and fighting is forbidden in the classroom unless you wish a detention and/or loss of house points.
No spells will be directed at another person in the classroom.
Be on time for class.
Talking will only be permitted before class begins and after class is over, otherwise you will stick with the topic at hand during class.
You will bring your supplies to class everyday or you will be forced to sit out the lesson.

Supplies
Wand
Quills and parchment (or their muggle equivalent)

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

First Year
[ ] Match to Needle
[ ] Snail to Teapot
[ ] Mouse to Snuffboxes
[ ] Teacup to Rat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:40 am
On The Board:

Basics of Transfiguration

What is Transfiguration?
    Transfiguration is, at it's most basic, transforming one object into another. This is usually accomplished by magical means. However, it is not simply changing something's appearance into something else's, it is actually changing the very item into the its intended target. This very act changes its structure even down to the molecular level, so that when you transfigure a bird into a cup, you are taking that bird and turning it into a cup on an atomic level.

What kinds of Transfiguration are there?
    There are actually four different branches of Transfiguration: Transformation, Vanishment, Conjuration, and Untransfiguration. All four of these branches of transfiguration you work with if you wish to master this branch of magic, but you may not see all four during your course of study at Hogwarts.

What is Transformation?
    Transformation is at its core turning one object into another. This is the most basic form of transfiguration. There are three different subcategories of transformation known as Human Transfiguration, Switching, and Trans-Species. Human transfiguration however is the most difficult form of Transformation.

What is Vanishment?
    Vanishment is the act of taking an object and willing it out of existence. The Vanished item will simply cease to be, and instead you will have nothing. As such, this is the most difficult form of transfiguration you will probably encounter on your OWLs.

What is Conjuration?
    Conjuration is the act of bringing things into existence. This is much harder to do than simply willing something to appear. This area of Transfiguration you will learn about in your NEWT-level class should you get that far.

What is Untransfiguration?
    Untransfiguration is the act of reversing a transfiguration. The branch is considered both Transfiguration as well as a counter-spell. This branch is generally the very first one encountered when you are learning the subject of Transfiguration

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:04 pm
User Image
                                                I had a dream the other night
                                                About how we only get one life
                                                Woke me up right after two
                                                Stayed awake and stared at you
                                                So I wouldn't lose my mind

User Image

════════════════════════

Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Aʟᴜᴍɴɪ || Tʀᴀɴsғɪɢᴜʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Pᴏᴛɪᴏɴᴇᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rick leaned against the desk as he waited for students to file in. He vaguely wondered sometimes if he ever looked as small as the first years in this class, but dismissed this idea and instead decided to focus instead on the class at hand. When the students all filed into the classroom, he checked the time and closed the door with a flick of his wand before turning to address the first years. "Hello, and welcome to Transfiguration. I'm your professor Richard Drage. For those of you wondering if there is going to be some form of spellcasting right off the bat in this class, that would be a yes, and a no. Yes, because you will be casting spells in this lesson, and no, since there will only be one spell you will learn today. However, this spell is probably the most important one you will learn in your entire study of the subject, so that would be why it is the very first one you learn about today."

He turned to the board and gestured to it, already well aware of the brief overview written upon it. "Transfiguration, by its very nature, is one of the most, if not the most, difficult disciplines of magic there is. We are taking an object and changing it fundamentally at the molecular level. This in itself makes the practice at once dangerous as well as complex, however is probably one of the very rewarding branches of magic there is in my opinion. After all, you can look at something you've transfigured and know that you've managed to succeed or fail, and by itself is a very rewarding feeling." He then turned back to the board and wrote something underneath his notes and pointed it out for people to see.

Professor Drage
                                                User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"This, by the way, is one of the reasons why transfiguration is so difficult. Yes, it is a mathematical equation, one that is applied every time you try and cast a transfiguration spell. Can anyone enlighten me as to why that is?" He crossed his arms and waited, taking a deep breath and hoping he hadn't confused the heck out of the first years yet. It would be his luck, wouldn't it? To be the first professor in Hogwarts history to basically make a mess of his first lesson and the students learned nothing? He hoped not.

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Here's to first impressions being good...
                                                OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And I had the week that came from hell
                                                And yes I know that you could tell
                                                But you're like the net under the ledge
                                                When I go flying off the edge
                                                You go flying off as well

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:28 pm
User Image
Fianna Grey
Gryffindor First Year Eleven Years OldSingle

Fianna was not looking forward at all to her first Transfigurations class. Hannah told her it was the most difficult of any of the classes she took, though her cousin informed her it wasn't as tough as her older sister made it out to be. Fianna had flipped through the book shortly after getting it at the bookstore, and put it aside as just trying to read it made her head hurt. Now she was in the class, and there was no avoiding it. What was worse, the teacher was one whom neither Linny nor Hannah heard of previously, and so it was likely he was a brand new teacher.

Looking at the equation on the chalkboard caused Fianna's mind to empty out anything approaching a coherent thought. Math was hard for her, and this was math. When Professor Drage asked his question of the students, all she could do was stare at him like a deer whose eyes were caught in the headlights of an oncoming car.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  We are legends, every day"
                  That's what she told me

Under this pressure, under this weight
                  We are diamonds"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Mephis Inferni

Hilarious Smoker

4,975 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:32 pm
User Image
                                                                They're gonna 𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔫 𝔲𝔭 your looks
                                                                With all the 𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔰 in the books
                                                                To make a 𝔠𝔦𝔱𝔦𝔷𝔢𝔫 out of you

┏━━━━━━━━━┓
                                                                Where? Transfiguration
                                                                Who? Other First Year students.
                                                                Thoughts?THIS IS IT, THE ONE I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!

┗━━━━━━━━━┛

xxx

Jack took a seat next to the Gryffindor girl that he'd seen several times before, figuring if he didn't like her, he'd just move somewhere else next time around. Looking at the board and listening to the professor, Jack's hand shot up. "Professor Drage, I'm James Rich of Slytherin House. The text book answer to your question is that there are a number of factors a wizard must take into account when carrying out Transfiguration spells. The intended transformation (t) is directly influenced by bodyweight (a), viciousness (v), wand power (w), concentration (c) and a fifth unknown variable (Z)." He paused, looking around the room at his fellow students. "To put it in easier terms to explain, these factors break down into multiple parts depending on the caster and target."

"First is always the spell attempted to be cast and that signifies T. Wand power is a measure of balance between wand wood and core, signified by the W variable. Concentration is just that, the amount of focus you put into using the spell in question and is marked by C. Viciousness is one that I'm not exactly the clearest on, but I'd assume that it means the intent of the witch or wizard in question and is marked by V. And bodyweight would be the mass of the intended target for the transfiguration."
                                                                Taking a deep breath, he finished his rant. "Z, the random variable has something to do with Astronomy, the position of various heavenly bodies. Thus the spell requirements are the power of your wand times your concentration, divided by your intent times weight of the object, times the random variable that is always changing. Due to this complication alone, transfiguration can be viewed as the most difficult of the magical arts."
                                                                ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                                                                OOC: Weeeeeeee! I went overboard.

Quote:

Quote:

Because they 𝔰𝔩𝔢𝔢𝔭 with a gun
                                                                And keep an 𝔢𝑦𝔢 on you, son
                                                                So they can 𝔴𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥 all the things you do

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:51 pm

User Image __________

User Image User Image

Aria took an empty seat near the front row; she had heard about how hard this class could be, and decided she would pay extra special attention. Not like it helped, because as soon as the professor started spewing something about an equation being required to use magic, she froze. Like, what? Excuse me? This is magic, not math class. So what the hell? She didn't sign up for this. Did she walk in the wrong room maybe? Aria blinked sporadically, glancing left and right to ensure her peers were just that—her fellow first years—and that she didn't just walk into a second or third year class. So confused now, she was flipping voraciously through her textbook and stared wide eyed at James when he began trying to explain the problem written up on the board. It was all she could do to stop the drool from sliding down the side of her chin with her mouth hanging open wide enough for an owl to nest in.

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷
                ATTIRE:: house robes 】 【STATS:: 4' 8” and 98lbs

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷

Quote:

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:57 pm

User Image

User Image
                              first year x ;; ravenclaw x ;; muggleborn x ;; beater xx

Transfiguration is a really a*****e of a subject. First day, and the professor was already talking about a complex math equation with five variables. Five! He was barely introduced to functions last year! And those only had a single variable. Fay squinted at the board. He heard that the Chinese learned calculus at the ripe age of 10, but this was just ridiculous. And it didn't help Fay that everything Jack spoke was pure nonsense to him. Damn. He was already behind.

oocx ;; { short post is short }

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:30 pm
User ImageUser Image
User Image

-YEAR // First
    -AGE // 11
    -APPAREL // Schooling Robes, and the stubborn cowlick on the back of his head.
    -ITEMS // Pack, Magical Wristwatch and Wand
    -COMPANY // Fellow First Years
    -RELATIONSHIP // Schooling Friends
    -THINKING // 'This will either be one of my best or worst subjects.'
    -FEELING // Unprepared
    -LOCATION // Transfiguration Classroom

══════════════════════════════════════════

XXXBenjamin ran into class, late again for another of his first classes. 'This is an omen...' he thought sourly to himself, hoping that now he would be able to find the correct classrooms, dungeons and field from now on. He saw where Jack and Fianna, a Gryffindor girl, whom he had not yet introduced himself to yet, sat. It was near-ish to the front, which was where he tried to frequent in most of his classes, but being that transfiguration was a very hard subject, he figured that sitting apart wouldn't do himself any good. He took the seat next to Jack, smiled to him and Fianna, and another Gryffindor girl with beautifully curly and wild hair. 'Aria, Erica, Erin, was it?' he remembered her face from all the introductions that they'd had to do so far throughout this week, but he was awful with names.

He had been able to catch most of the Professor's introduction and at the sight of the formula, he had to consider it for a second. Like with most of his books, he had reviewed a few of the chapters beforehand while on the train, and miraculously remembered what the "W" and "C" stood for. When prompted, his hand shot into the air, but was too late. Jack had answered first, and went on a fully detailed explanation on the formula. He was going to just answer with wand and concentration for the two that he remembered, but felt it would be redundant if he repeated it.

Instead he opted to take out his parchment, quill, and inkwell and make a short notation on the formula, knowing that he would need to memorize it until he was incanting it in his sleep.

((OOC:_))

Graydon Ironshield

Mephis Inferni

Essy ze Ninja

User Image

Scurd_Tito

Familiar Seeker

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
      • Rufus' Gratitude 100
      • Team Jacob 100
      • Married 100
      PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:27 pm
      User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Rick looked over the students, noting who was zoning out and who was paying attention. Obviously he lost numerous people with his discussion about the equation, but he figured that he'd probably get them back as soon as he explained the equation itself. Which, one student seemed to have the basics from the textbook, his memory of the equation itself needed a bit of work. "You are almost right, Mister Rich. Z happens to apply to the way that you say the incantation itself. Ten points to Slytherin for your memory, however."

He decided to write out the variables completely on the board, to better illustrate his point. "When you are doing any spell in transfiguration, whether it be transfiguring a needle into a matchstick or, one of the most advanced forms of transfiguration to date, becoming an animagus, you have to keep this formula in mind. You have the incantation itself and how you say it, Z, times your wandpower W multiplied by your concentration C, over the viciousness or your will V and your bodyweight A to get the desired result, T. All of these factors need to be present to successfully transfigure something, and you have to find the correct balance to accomplish this. Every transfiguration is going to require a mixture of these factors in just the right amount to accomplish your intended target. Any of these off in any way will result in the spell failing, and the object or creature you're casting it upon being stuck halfway between the two forms." He pointed to the board to look over the class, waiting for them to copy down the notes he just provided.

"Thankfully there is a spell to reverse said transfigurations when they happen to be stuck. This is the spell that you are going to be working on today. This spell can reverse most simple transfiguration mistakes, and is extremely useful for beginner witches and wizards. This spell is called Reparifarge." He quickly wrote out all of the information necessary on the board and then turned to the rest of the class.

Professor Drage
                                                    Reparifarge
                                                    (re-par-ee-far-je)
                                                    t= Fixes Transfiguration mistakes
                                                    a= caster must be heavier than the object
                                                    v= intent must be at least medium-mild
                                                    w= any wand power
                                                    c= moderate
                                                    Z= well-spoken, as clear as possible

"Now, I am going to pass out items that have been transfigured halfway for you to work on. Don't worry about any of the creatures left in the state they are currently in, since I can turn them back into what they were originally. What I want you to do is try and untransfigure these items for practice. I will be walking around the classroom to observe your progress and give assistance where needed. When I get to you, please state your name and house, so that way I can start connecting faces with names." Rick then proceeded to walk toward the cupboard to retrieve a box. He then started passing around items that the students could work on for their first spell attempts.

════════════════════════
                                                    Location: Transfiguration Class
                                                    OOC: Students, please be aware that the items being passed around are any of those listed under the first year Transfiguration List of Knowledge. That can be found in the first post of the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 am
      User Image
      Fianna Grey
      Gryffindor First Year Eleven Years OldSingle

Fianna swallowed hard as she tried very hard not to panic, as Professor Drage came around with mistakes for them to fix. Even having her cousin coaching her as far as the subject was concerned wasn't too helpful for the little red-haired witch. When it came to math she had this nasty mental block, and Transfiguration was an unholy marriage of math and magic.

Dutifully, the little Gryffindor had put pen to parchment and noted down what was needed for the class discussion, and hoped she could do this. The only positive here was the fact this teacher didn't know her or Hannah or Linny, like the way Professor Hill did, so she could afford to flub spells without it reflecting poorly upon them.

"Um, Fianna Grey, Gryffindor House, sir," she said nervously as the professor loomed over her desk when her turn came around, and her eyes bugged out when a half-Transfigured rat was produced from the box. It squeaked and screamed at her while attempting to move about with two working limbs it had left, as its mid-section had taken on the shape of a cup, while its naked tail formed the handle. She gestured with her wand a couple times, and practiced the incantation before having a go at the exercise.

"Reepareefarjee!" she said, trying hard to pronounce the word properly, and she was rewarded with a flash of light at the tip of her wand. The rat, on the other hand, was rewarded with being turned into a furry tea cup, with a nose and whiskers twitching at the lip of the cup. Thankfully, the rat had stopped screaming, as it no longer seemed to have a mouth. With wide eyes, Fianna stared at the fusion of rat and tea cup, and said hesitantly, "That wasn't supposed to happen, was it, professor?"

OOC:
      Username

User Image
                      We are legends, every day"
                      That's what she told me

Under this pressure, under this weight
                      We are diamonds"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
      • Gaian 50
      • Dressed Up 200
      • Statustician 100

Scurd_Tito

Familiar Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:54 pm
      User ImageUser Image
      User Image

-YEAR // First
        -AGE // 11
        -FEELING // Unprepared

XXXBenny jotted down the new information quickly, and then set aside his writings.
          Benjamin Bates, Hufflepuff sir. He said as he was given a similarly transfigured rat-to-teacup as Fianna.

He took out his wand and placed it next to the squirming formation before him. He noticed thankfully that the creature before him didn't seem to make as much noise.

'Reh-pahr-eh-fahr-juh, repaireefairge, Reparifarge, Reparifarge.' He practiced, trying to get down the phonetics of the incantation.

After a good butchering of the word, Benny picked up his wand and decided he had to be ready by now.

'Reparifarge.' He said, concentrating on the image of a whole rat. The tip of his wand glowed momentarily and then he saw that the tail relaxed from being a handle. He watched the tail move freely and lazily. Well, it's progress, he thought to himself.

Quote:

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:13 pm
          User Image
                                                      Although I would like our world to change
                                                      It helps me to appreciate
                                                      Those nights and those dreams

User Image

════════════════════════

ℱḯґṧ⊥ ¥ℯαя |ᛊ| ℋυḟƒℓε℘υƒḟ |ᛊ| ℝℯṧ℮я♥ε Ḱεερεґ

════════════════════════

Balder had hurried into class and was staring at the professor who had started talking about maths and equations and transfiguration. Balder wrote down all of the information presented and blinked as he was instructed to practice the spell on the board. Wait, what? He looked over the information on the board and looked back to the professor. Okay, so they had to practice untransfiguring objects. Well, it was a necessary spell, he thought. Only, he didn't think Transfiguration was as difficult as the professor was explaining. He sighed, looking at the thing that was set out in front of him. It looked kind of like a pot, but was slimy and disgusting all over. Great. He swallowed, looking at the professor who had set it down. "Balder Borson, Hufflepuff, sir." When it came to actually performing the spell, he looked carefully at the creature and swallowed, practicing the pronunciation over and over with the wand movement. When he actually got around to casting the spell, he pointed it at the item and screwed up his face. "Re-par-ee-far-je." The spell worked slowly, and Balder winced as when it was finished, he still had a teapot-like snail in front of him. The shell certainly still had a handle on it, and the head still emitted puffs of steam. It was better than some of his classmates, he figured, who still had barely transfigured anything.

════════════════════════
                                                      Location: Transfiguration class
                                                      Thinking: Man, this stuff looks hard!
                                                      OOC:

Thor

But, my friend, I'd sacrifice all those nights
                                                      If I could make the Earth and my dreams the same
                                                      The only difference is
                                                      To let love replace all our hate

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
          • Rufus' Gratitude 100
          • Team Jacob 100
          • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
          • Rufus' Gratitude 100
          • Team Jacob 100
          • Married 100
          PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:34 pm
          User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Rick observed the spells being cast around him, frowning as one kid seemed to be doing the opposite of what he was supposed to do and cocked an eyebrow. Well, this was going to take a lot of work. He stepped back to the front of the class and clasped his hands behind his back. "Miss Grey, your untransfiguration is fine, you just need to practice more. It does take a lot of work to actually get to the right combination of spells and effects, so don't feel bad it didn't work fully on your first try. Mister Borson, you seem to be doing fine as well, and like Miss Grey, just need a bit more practice." He then glanced at the other who had managed to try and continue the transfiguration of what the cup was supposed to turn into rather than untransfigure it. He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Mister Bates, you didn't focus on untransfiguring the rodent back into a teacup. Don't focus on either a rat or a teacup, instead focus on undoing the spell on the object. Focus on it no longer having a spell on it. That's how you successfully untransfigure something." Deciding to demonstrate, he nodded to the object on Benjamin's desk and tapped it, stating the incantation clearly. The teacup-like rat suddenly stiffened, before melting back into a teacup seamlessly. Rick nodded, and then lifted up the untransfigured teacup for everyone to see.

"Now yes, I know there's going to be complaints, but you all will have homework. Practice the spell pronunciation as well as look over the equation and variables for the spell Reparifarge. This is going to be the only class time devoted specifically to this spell, as the rest of your time in this class you will be working on actually transfiguring items. However, despite the focus on other spells, we will be practising this spell throughout the year when you work to untransfigure what you have worked on when you make a mistake. Therefore, this spell should be one that I expect you master over the course of the year." He grinned at that point, a bit lopsided as he scratched the back of his head. "As for now, you're dismissed."

════════════════════════
                                                        Location: Transfiguration Class
                                                        OOC: Next lesson will be posted in a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:29 pm
          User ImageUser Image
          User Image

-YEAR // First
            -AGE // 11
            -FEELING // Unprepared

XXXBenny set down his wand and watched in amazement as the professor correctly transfigured the teacup from the mangled mess that it had been before. He took in the professor's explanation of transfiguration, and then grabbed his notes and quill. He made a side note on them: "Don't focus on either the original or intended forms: Form A or form B, instead focus on undoing the spell on the object. Focus on it no longer having a spell on it."

'Whoa. Oh I see! Can I try it again?' He said, as enthusiastic about magic as ever. It still made him grin madly whenever he saw it; albeit he had seen transfigurations by his parents almost a dozen times before. He eyed the teacup and wondered if the professor would oblige to another go.

He glanced at his notes again to make sure that he had the pronunciation down again, and then traded his wand for his quill on the desk.

Diamond Wales

User Image

Scurd_Tito

Familiar Seeker

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
              • Rufus' Gratitude 100
              • Team Jacob 100