Reply 24. ✿ - - - Life Issues
Finding a stable job VS the urge of traveling

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:37 pm
Hi Gaians, you might have noticed that I post a lot here.

I was feeling down for a few months. I checked up symptoms of depression. I'm not depressive because I can still function and there are things in live I still like to do. When I read the symptoms of depression, there was one about losing interest in everything (you’ve lost interest in friends, activities, and things you used to enjoy). So, I thought what do I enjoy what makes me happy ?

So here came the idea of traveling. I want to travel so badly that I decided I will and probably travel alone.

Why alone ? Because my friends are already traveling with either their boyfriend, family or don't want to travel. So, I am left alone.

I found a endless interest for traveling, everyday after work I would look up online, reading travel blogs, videos, looking at price.

My job is unstable, it's on call, they can only give me 2 weeks of vacations off. The company can cut down my hours (did it before). therefore, my income is unstable and I should find another job. That's what my little voice tell me : Why do you want to travel, when you don't have a stable income ? Why don't you focus on your future career?

Then, I have opposite thoughts. I am so sick of my life. I've never travelled, people around me keeps visiting places they love or dreamed to visit. I am stuck in a city that I am so bored of. All my life I spent my time studying for a better future, when my education was completed, it was hard finding a job, I had a low income, and I was doing a job of someone who can only own a high school diploma but I have a bachelor degree. I want to do something to make me happy. (OK I stop my ranting here it would be just too long).

I want to travel but at the same time I feel bad about not having a good career and that I should focus on that.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm
Work the job you have now the one with unstable income, put a little of each pay-check into a savings account, slush fund, ect. And then set a goal of a place or a couple places you would like to visit. When you have enough savings to take the trip you want, and cover a few months of expenses Go.

As you are doing this keep looking for more stable work, or work related to your education. Even with unstable work you can save enough for a trip, and if you have a few months of expenses stored away after you will be able to look for another job.

While you are young you need to go on the adventures because you can do more, and you have the rest of your life to work 9-5 every day and have little vacation.

Travelling gives you perspective of the world that the you do not see in your own town, it provides valuable experience towards a career you'll one day love.  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:35 pm
cool4
Work the job you have now the one with unstable income, put a little of each pay-check into a savings account, slush fund, ect. And then set a goal of a place or a couple places you would like to visit. When you have enough savings to take the trip you want, and cover a few months of expenses Go.

As you are doing this keep looking for more stable work, or work related to your education. Even with unstable work you can save enough for a trip, and if you have a few months of expenses stored away after you will be able to look for another job.

While you are young you need to go on the adventures because you can do more, and you have the rest of your life to work 9-5 every day and have little vacation.

Travelling gives you perspective of the world that the you do not see in your own town, it provides valuable experience towards a career you'll one day love.
Thank you Cool4, you always have good advice. Did you travel? If so, where?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 pm
XxAriaxX
cool4

I took a trip to New York with my mother, last september one of the places I've always wanted to go.. As for where I am now, I am in the transition of finished university and started working full time. So the world is still new and unexplored..ect.  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:31 pm
cool4
XxAriaxX
cool4

I took a trip to New York with my mother, last september one of the places I've always wanted to go.. As for where I am now, I am in the transition of finished university and started working full time. So the world is still new and unexplored..ect.
OOh... Well me too the world is still new... I question a lot of things. What did you study ?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm
XxAriaxX
cool4
XxAriaxX
cool4

OOh... Well me too the world is still new... I question a lot of things. What did you study ?

Computer Science  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:26 pm
cool4

Computer Science Would you like to share why you picked computer science ? What were you looking for in a career that this fitted you ?

I'm still as confused as before in my career decisions.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:34 pm
XxAriaxX
cool4

Computer Science
Would you like to share why you picked computer science ? What were you looking for in a career that this fitted you ?

Both my parents are engineers, So I grew up with a lot of math and science based activities. When I went to University I started off with First Year Engineering, but set myself up to take all the first year software courses. When I got to the end of the year, I found I enjoyed programming, more then the other engineering courses. As well I also failed a few courses that I would have to take again if I continued with Engineering. But My courses transferred to nearly all of a first year Computer Science Degree, So at the end of first year I handed in my final project and switched programs. Graduated almost 2 years ago now.

I'm not the most social, so jobs with high levels of customer service, and interaction with others are not my idea of fun. Computer Science fits my love of solving logic puzzles. With it I get moments of being so absorbed into what I am doing that I even go to bed and have dreams of how to fix the problems from earlier in the day, my subconscious thinks it's a programmer to.

Computer Science gets a bad rap because of the ratio of women to men in it. But it's more about whose suited for that environment and who isn't. About 1 in every 5 men finish with an engineering degree, which also correlates to 1 in 5 men are high functioning autistic. High functioning Autism is one of the factors that can make it easier to think like a machine or computer. Which is the key to the program.

The faster you can get your brain working logically the easier and quicker you pick up the field.  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

Miss_XxAriaxX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:35 am
cool4
XxAriaxX
cool4

Computer Science
Would you like to share why you picked computer science ? What were you looking for in a career that this fitted you ?

Both my parents are engineers, So I grew up with a lot of math and science based activities. When I went to University I started off with First Year Engineering, but set myself up to take all the first year software courses. When I got to the end of the year, I found I enjoyed programming, more then the other engineering courses. As well I also failed a few courses that I would have to take again if I continued with Engineering. But My courses transferred to nearly all of a first year Computer Science Degree, So at the end of first year I handed in my final project and switched programs. Graduated almost 2 years ago now.

I'm not the most social, so jobs with high levels of customer service, and interaction with others are not my idea of fun. Computer Science fits my love of solving logic puzzles. With it I get moments of being so absorbed into what I am doing that I even go to bed and have dreams of how to fix the problems from earlier in the day, my subconscious thinks it's a programmer to.

Computer Science gets a bad rap because of the ratio of women to men in it. But it's more about whose suited for that environment and who isn't. About 1 in every 5 men finish with an engineering degree, which also correlates to 1 in 5 men are high functioning autistic. High functioning Autism is one of the factors that can make it easier to think like a machine or computer. Which is the key to the program.

The faster you can get your brain working logically the easier and quicker you pick up the field. OOOh !!! It's nice that you were able to find something to pursue. I'm also not the most social. I'm an introvert. When I was completing my Bachelor in chemistry I thought I was in the right program because the career in science seems to fit my personality. I doubted about it every semester till I graduated. In my last semester I took an elective class in microeconomic just to know if I belongs in another field. It was interesting, but I wasn't good at it... I've studied so much pure sciences that taking that class, it was really different, but I was just not good at it xp .  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:09 pm
XxAriaxX
OOOh !!! It's nice that you were able to find something to pursue. I'm also not the most social. I'm an introvert. When I was completing my Bachelor in chemistry I thought I was in the right program because the career in science seems to fit my personality. I doubted about it every semester till I graduated. In my last semester I took an elective class in microeconomic just to know if I belongs in another field. It was interesting, but I wasn't good at it... I've studied so much pure sciences that taking that class, it was really different, but I was just not good at it xp .

I took electives in other fields as well. I have a minor in ethics from the philosophy department. I took courses in biomedical ethics, environmental ethics, as well as on war and terrorism. I also took course on the impact of technology on society, mostly cause that relates it back to my degree. Actually most of my electives are in the philosophy department.

I took a macroeconomics course but it was so poorly done, that I couldn't really tell if I would enjoy the field. We had a TA who basically stood facing the board and wrote the (wrong) answers from the back of the textbook on the board, and then the head of the department came to our class and blamed us for not understanding the TA or attempting the material before the lecture. My Math training at that point was enough to figure out the problems, get the right answer and understand that I did it correctly without going to the lecture that did basically the same thing.  

cool4

Buggy Glitch

24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces