Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
Fox Accused of Disrespecting Christianity Airing Show ‘Luc

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:06 am
Fox Accused of Disrespecting Christianity by Airing Show ‘Lucifer’  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:21 am
edited

The reaction is well-deserved. But I'm just sitting here wondering where was the religious offense when "Supernatural" did it (and quite possibly still does; I stopped watching)—and not just limited to portraying Satan as a likeable, misunderstood guy. Witches, liars, adulterers, blood eaters (vampires), men having sex with animals (Sam and his sexual relations with a werewolf), men having sex with angels (Dean and fallen angel Anna). They're all portrayed as likeable. Even demons.

They even twisted Cain's story, that he was just trying to protect Abel. That the truth is nothing like how it is written. One of the show's main characters, Castiel, has said, "[...] your Bible gets more wrong than it does right." (Season 5 Episode 4). That was / is the spirit of the show. All of these little twists added up and I couldn't watch further.

"Supernatural" is very much like the "coexist" philosophy. Take a bit from all religions, even myths, and urbans legends, and then, on top of that, the creative license of the writers. It's one giant piece of "epic" fanfiction. As I'm sure "Lucifer" is as well—in mere title alone, it is further peddling the misunderstanding that "Lucifer" is a personal name for the devil, when it is not. The same word gets applied to Jesus in 2nd Peter 1:19 in the Latin Vulgate.

Needless to say, the more of the truth I consumed, the less I could tolerate being entertained by twisted portrayals of biblical truth. I can't comment on the plot of the show "Lucifer" because I haven't watched. But based on the article alone: although, yes, the devil does work for God to test what is inside of people, he desires to see your destruction and lies to get you to take the bait. God didn't make him a liar, God didn't assign the devil to be a tester or to accuse people. He chose to be that.

• Luke 22:31 (NIV)

31 “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.

• Revelation 12:9-10 (NIV)

9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say:

“Now have come the salvation and the power
        and the kingdom of our God,
        and the authority of his Messiah.
        For the accuser of our brothers and sisters,
        who accuses them before our God day and night,
        has been hurled down

• 2 Chronicles 18:19-21 (NIV)

19 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab king of Israel into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’

“One suggested this, and another that. 20 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’

“‘By what means?’ the Lord asked.

21 “‘I will go and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.

“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

Free will is always honored.

I think the solution is to teach people the truth, so they fall in love with it, instead of the lies. It is because of my experience with Supernatural—discovering how much it lies / twists—that I avoid shows like these. If people learn the truth, then shows like this one will have no audience—assuming they choose to love the truth. Sigh. There will always be those who reject the truth anyway and continue with the lies/fanfiction. gonk

cristobela
Vice Captain

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces