Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
styles of communication

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SARL0

Quotable Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:52 pm
When someone goes on and on and on and on no matter if it's text, or a written letter, or a phone conversation, a face to face conversation or a lecture in any given venue, it can be overwhelming, boring, tiring and just plain annoying. And people usually develop a reputation for how they communicate.

"she's so easy to talk to"
"He never looks you directly in the eye"
"they're very disrespectful"
"i can't get a word in edgewise"
"they're so upbeat and encouraging"
"all they do is cuss and insult my beliefs"
and yea.....
"they're so longwinded, i fell asleep and couldn't pay attention"

I really dont think it has anytihng to do w/ not conforming to the world. it's just our styles of how we communicate and interact with others.

The Bible doesn't grab us, hold us hostage and demand we spend a whole day reading it from cover to cover. Normally, ppl who regularly read their Bible read it in chapters or verses at a time.

It's not wrong for our mediums of communication to evolve as the worlds technology evolves. I'm sure in the Bible times it was much more practical to send one ginormous letter instead of several short letters.

just my thoughts on how we communicate with one another. Because it is through communication and how we present truth to others that we can have an impact for the cause of Christ.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:56 am
Reading the whole bible (66 books) from cover to cover—in one sitting—is an exaggeration though lol, not to mention impossible to do in one day. Of course God does not demand that.

But reading a whole book, at times, was expected—and even commanded by God, to be read to the entire community that was capable of understanding.

For example (and I'll provide two examples that existed many generations apart):

• Deuteronomy 31:10-12 (NIV)

10 Then Moses commanded them: “At the end of every seven years, in the year for canceling debts, during the Festival of Tabernacles, 11 when all Israel comes to appear before the Lord your God at the place he will choose, you shall read this law before them in their hearing. 12 Assemble the people—men, women and children, and the foreigners residing in your towns—so they can listen and learn to fear the Lord your God and follow carefully all the words of this law.

• Nehemiah 7:73-8:3 (NIV)

73 The priests, the Levites, the gatekeepers, the musicians and the temple servants, along with certain of the people and the rest of the Israelites, settled in their own towns.

When the seventh month came and the Israelites had settled in their towns,
        8 1 all the people came together as one in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the teacher of the Law to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

These people are standing and listening attentively from daybreak to noon (a good six hours), listening to the commands of God. Even children. The "too long; didn't read" attitude is of the world, not a trait that belongs to the people of God, especially when the subject matter is God, words that came directly from His mouth. Some books should be read all at once. You can go in to dissect more in-depth later if you have a bible for personal study. But what goes on in the gatherings of believers for teaching purposes is lengthy.

Like I mentioned previously, not only did the church in Colossae read the letter to the Colossians, they then read the letter of the Loadiceans as well (Colossians 4:16), in one gathering.

• Colossians 4:16 (NIV)

16 After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea.

Also in these gatherings, they would read several chapters from the law (these collections of chapters are called "Parasha") and portions from the prophets (called "Haftarah"); the portions from prophecy were related to the chapters from the Law that had been read. This practice is alluded to vaguely in the book of Acts:

• Acts 13:15 (NIV)

15 After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

The word of exhortation would then be something different from the chapters previously read: that could be one of those several-chapter-long letters from the apostles, or the apostle themselves in person speaking and informing them of what God is doing in their ministry—and speaking for hours.

• Acts 20:7 (NIV)

7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

• Acts 21:19 (NIV)

19 Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry.

So, whether ancient Israelite or early Christian, people regularly ingested large amounts of information all at once in their gatherings with other believers—because they're either teaching or being taught.

That said, as long as what you do is righteous according to God's definition of what is right—thus what you're doing is obedient to what He commanded—then you shouldn't fear people getting tired of you every time you do open your mouth, or when they start dreading your appearance. Most of the prophets had to deal with that.

For instance, the prophet Micaiah / Mikayah:

• 1 Kings 22:8 (NIV)

8 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, “There is still one prophet through whom we can inquire of the Lord, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah.”

“The king should not say such a thing,” Jehoshaphat replied.

The King of Israel (Ahab) was an idolatrous king. He wanted to do worship his own way instead of living in true adherence to God's commands. According to the commands of God, such idolatry would only invite judgment / calamity from YHWH. So, the only righteous prophet around would speak the truth to save the people from the calamity that YHWH warns about—a message which Ahab ignored, dreaded, and didn't want to listen to. But Micaiah had to speak the truth. All true prophets must speak the truth regardless of how people start viewing them.

The prophet Jeremiah as well, and he in particular wrote lengthy scrolls pronouncing YHWH's judgment—including judgment upon YHWH's own set-apart people. The scroll was to be read at their gatherings too (and read all at once, not a chapter today, a chapter tomorrow).

• Jeremiah 36:1-10 (NIV)

36 In the fourth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, this word came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Take a scroll and write on it all the words I have spoken to you concerning Israel, Judah and all the other nations from the time I began speaking to you in the reign of Josiah till now. 3 Perhaps when the people of Judah hear about every disaster I plan to inflict on them, they will each turn from their wicked ways; then I will forgive their wickedness and their sin.”

4 So Jeremiah called Baruch son of Neriah, and while Jeremiah dictated all the words the Lord had spoken to him, Baruch wrote them on the scroll. 5 Then Jeremiah told Baruch, “I am restricted; I am not allowed to go to the Lord’s temple. 6 So you go to the house of the Lord on a day of fasting and read to the people from the scroll the words of the Lord that you wrote as I dictated. Read them to all the people of Judah who come in from their towns. 7 Perhaps they will bring their petition before the Lord and will each turn from their wicked ways, for the anger and wrath pronounced against this people by the Lord are great.”

8 Baruch son of Neriah did everything Jeremiah the prophet told him to do; at the Lord’s temple he read the words of the Lord from the scroll. 9 In the ninth month of the fifth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, a time of fasting before the Lord was proclaimed for all the people in Jerusalem and those who had come from the towns of Judah. 10 From the room of Gemariah son of Shaphan the secretary, which was in the upper courtyard at the entrance of the New Gate of the temple, Baruch read to all the people at the Lord’s temple the words of Jeremiah from the scroll.

Baruch read every prophecy that Jeremiah had received from YHWH up until that time. These prophecies spanned across the reigns of different kings that had risen to power in Judah (Jeremiah is still there, unlike them; out of the kings, Josiah was a righteous king, but the other three kings that followed were not and thus were exiled by God). Jeremiah had been locked up by the corrupt / lawless authority for speaking the unadulterated truth the way YHWH commanded. So because Jeremiah had been confined, Jeremiah himself is not walking to the temple, but sending his scribe / his disciple in his place to read the whole scroll. Jeremiah is still communicating the very same words that got him locked up in the first place. So, even when people hate you for speaking YHWH's word, if YHWH says "speak and explain throughly", then you speak and explain thoroughly—even if it takes six hours to read. And if it takes six hours to simply read, then imagine how much longer it took the prophet to write. He still had to do it though. YHWH wanted truth communicated to His people, and those who fear God obey and listen, no matter how long it takes.

edit:

Just wanted to add, it's the same 24-hour day, whether we're looking at Adam and Eve's day or today. Having enough time is a matter of priority. People will sacrifice sleep and responsibilities in order to watch a 12+ hour marathon of their favorite show, non-stop. Whatever you cherish is what you make time for, even if other things have to get sacrificed that day so you can wholeheartedly dedicate yourself to that activity/person.  

cristobela
Vice Captain

Lady Vizsla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:46 pm
Do you mean that as a general thing with people communicating or Christians specifically?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:45 pm
Lady Kariel
Do you mean that as a general thing with people communicating or Christians specifically?

i mean both actually.

i can sit and listen to good preaching for a long time, but i'm not going to read through a long, boring post. just not gonna happen. im Christian and have a desire for the things of God and am drawn to truth.

anyhow, i just think it's wise to take in to consideration the length of our posts if we want to be effective communicators.  

SARL0

Quotable Dabbler

SARL0

Quotable Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:32 pm
cristobela
Reading the whole bible (66 books) from cover to cover—in one sitting—is an exaggeration though lol, not to mention impossible to do in one day. Of course God does not demand that.

But reading a whole book, at times, was expected—and even commanded by God, to be read to the entire community that was capable of understanding.

For example (and I'll provide two examples that existed many generations apart):

• Deuteronomy 31:10-12 (NIV)

10 Then Moses commanded them: “At the end of every seven years, in the year for canceling debts, during the Festival of Tabernacles, 11 when all Israel comes to appear before the Lord your God at the place he will choose, you shall read this law before them in their hearing. 12 Assemble the people—men, women and children, and the foreigners residing in your towns—so they can listen and learn to fear the Lord your God and follow carefully all the words of this law.

• Nehemiah 7:73-8:3 (NIV)

73 The priests, the Levites, the gatekeepers, the musicians and the temple servants, along with certain of the people and the rest of the Israelites, settled in their own towns.

When the seventh month came and the Israelites had settled in their towns,
        8 1 all the people came together as one in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the teacher of the Law to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

These people are standing and listening attentively from daybreak to noon (a good six hours), listening to the commands of God. Even children. The "too long; didn't read" attitude is of the world, not a trait that belongs to the people of God, especially when the subject matter is God, words that came directly from His mouth. Some books should be read all at once. You can go in to dissect more in-depth later if you have a bible for personal study. But what goes on in the gatherings of believers for teaching purposes is lengthy.

Like I mentioned previously, not only did the church in Colossae read the letter to the Colossians, they then read the letter of the Loadiceans as well (Colossians 4:16), in one gathering.

• Colossians 4:16 (NIV)

16 After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea.

Also in these gatherings, they would read several chapters from the law (these collections of chapters are called "Parasha") and portions from the prophets (called "Haftarah"); the portions from prophecy were related to the chapters from the Law that had been read. This practice is alluded to vaguely in the book of Acts:

• Acts 13:15 (NIV)

15 After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

The word of exhortation would then be something different from the chapters previously read: that could be one of those several-chapter-long letters from the apostles, or the apostle themselves in person speaking and informing them of what God is doing in their ministry—and speaking for hours.

• Acts 20:7 (NIV)

7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

• Acts 21:19 (NIV)

19 Paul greeted them and reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry.

So, whether ancient Israelite or early Christian, people regularly ingested large amounts of information all at once in their gatherings with other believers—because they're either teaching or being taught.

That said, as long as what you do is righteous according to God's definition of what is right—thus what you're doing is obedient to what He commanded—then you shouldn't fear people getting tired of you every time you do open your mouth, or when they start dreading your appearance. Most of the prophets had to deal with that.

For instance, the prophet Micaiah / Mikayah:

• 1 Kings 22:8 (NIV)

8 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, “There is still one prophet through whom we can inquire of the Lord, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah.”

“The king should not say such a thing,” Jehoshaphat replied.

The King of Israel (Ahab) was an idolatrous king. He wanted to do worship his own way instead of living in true adherence to God's commands. According to the commands of God, such idolatry would only invite judgment / calamity from YHWH. So, the only righteous prophet around would speak the truth to save the people from the calamity that YHWH warns about—a message which Ahab ignored, dreaded, and didn't want to listen to. But Micaiah had to speak the truth. All true prophets must speak the truth regardless of how people start viewing them.

The prophet Jeremiah as well, and he in particular wrote lengthy scrolls pronouncing YHWH's judgment—including judgment upon YHWH's own set-apart people. The scroll was to be read at their gatherings too (and read all at once, not a chapter today, a chapter tomorrow).

• Jeremiah 36:1-10 (NIV)

36 In the fourth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, this word came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Take a scroll and write on it all the words I have spoken to you concerning Israel, Judah and all the other nations from the time I began speaking to you in the reign of Josiah till now. 3 Perhaps when the people of Judah hear about every disaster I plan to inflict on them, they will each turn from their wicked ways; then I will forgive their wickedness and their sin.”

4 So Jeremiah called Baruch son of Neriah, and while Jeremiah dictated all the words the Lord had spoken to him, Baruch wrote them on the scroll. 5 Then Jeremiah told Baruch, “I am restricted; I am not allowed to go to the Lord’s temple. 6 So you go to the house of the Lord on a day of fasting and read to the people from the scroll the words of the Lord that you wrote as I dictated. Read them to all the people of Judah who come in from their towns. 7 Perhaps they will bring their petition before the Lord and will each turn from their wicked ways, for the anger and wrath pronounced against this people by the Lord are great.”

8 Baruch son of Neriah did everything Jeremiah the prophet told him to do; at the Lord’s temple he read the words of the Lord from the scroll. 9 In the ninth month of the fifth year of Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah, a time of fasting before the Lord was proclaimed for all the people in Jerusalem and those who had come from the towns of Judah. 10 From the room of Gemariah son of Shaphan the secretary, which was in the upper courtyard at the entrance of the New Gate of the temple, Baruch read to all the people at the Lord’s temple the words of Jeremiah from the scroll.

Baruch read every prophecy that Jeremiah had received from YHWH up until that time. These prophecies spanned across the reigns of different kings that had risen to power in Judah (Jeremiah is still there, unlike them; out of the kings, Josiah was a righteous king, but the other three kings that followed were not and thus were exiled by God). Jeremiah had been locked up by the corrupt / lawless authority for speaking the unadulterated truth the way YHWH commanded. So because Jeremiah had been confined, Jeremiah himself is not walking to the temple, but sending his scribe / his disciple in his place to read the whole scroll. Jeremiah is still communicating the very same words that got him locked up in the first place. So, even when people hate you for speaking YHWH's word, if YHWH says "speak and explain throughly", then you speak and explain thoroughly—even if it takes six hours to read. And if it takes six hours to simply read, then imagine how much longer it took the prophet to write. He still had to do it though. YHWH wanted truth communicated to His people, and those who fear God obey and listen, no matter how long it takes.

edit:

Just wanted to add, it's the same 24-hour day, whether we're looking at Adam and Eve's day or today. Having enough time is a matter of priority. People will sacrifice sleep and responsibilities in order to watch a 12+ hour marathon of their favorite show, non-stop. Whatever you cherish is what you make time for, even if other things have to get sacrificed that day so you can wholeheartedly dedicate yourself to that activity/person.

actually, i know ppl personally who have read through their bible in 24 hours. i have no reason to think they're lying about it. matter of fact, one of them is a Pastor. i trust that he's done it and believe it can be done.

i guess, i just see your posts as sermons and lectures. and i dont feel many ppl are looking for that style of communication in any form of medium altho i'm sure there's some. i think lots of ppl are interested in seeing individual personality come through and how they show their personality in their style of communicating with others. more so than a sermon or a lecture.

i think it's important to be as effective as we can when trying to reach out to others and communicate with them. for any reason when we're communicating with people. but the cause of Christ is the most important reason that we can use our communication skills. i know i dont want ppl looking at my posts and then deciding not to read it because it's too long. where's the effectiveness in that? the communication is lost.

communication with others wasn't as easy to come by back in the old days as it is today. So i can understand how they were less likely to get bored or annoyed with long letters. now days we have much more at our fingertips to keep us interested or distract us. i think it's wise to take the reality of the world that we live in and how it's affected others in to consideration when we communicate with them. And i certainly do not look at your or others ppls posts as being of equal interest or importance, edification or spiritually nourishing, source of wisdom or beautifully written as that of the word of God. Of course a Christian should be willing to devote large amounts of time reading & studying the Bible, but i dont expect anyone to give the same consideration to what i or other ppl say as they would the word of God.
Which btw, i believe the King James Version is Gods perfect word and feel that other versions are corrupt.

i dont see any sinfulness or it being and attitude of the world in not being interested in someone else's long posts. nor do i see that it makes someone more spiritual because they post in such a manner or are willing to read long blocks of texts from others.

edit: If for some reason you believe your long posting style makes you less worldly and more spiritual then i can totally understand why you post the way you do.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:03 am
SARL0
Lady Kariel

i mean both actually.

i can sit and listen to good preaching for a long time, but i'm not going to read through a long, boring post. just not gonna happen. im Christian and have a desire for the things of God and am drawn to truth.

anyhow, i just think it's wise to take in to consideration the length of our posts if we want to be effective communicators.

That's true, I don't like drawn out posts unless it's necessary to explain several concepts to someone.  

Lady Vizsla

The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff