Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply News with a Christian perspective
The Temple Of Baal Coming To New York

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:16 am
The Temple Of Baal Coming To New York Will Be Followed By Hundreds More

The reproductions of the 50 foot arch that stood at the Temple of Baal in Palmyra, Syria that will be erected in New York City and London next month will only be the first of many.

The article makes it sound like the whole temple, brick by brick will be raised in New York. It is a replica of an arch. Just to clear things up. I personally would still not want in due to what it has been made in connection with.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 am
If you ask me, the guy who wrote the article is exaggerating; it's just the arches of the temple and it's just for the sake of historic replicas; it's not like suddenly people are going to start worshiping Baal or even know what the arches represent.  

King Shining Heaven

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100

cristobela
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:42 am
Young King under Heaven
If you ask me, the guy who wrote the article is exaggerating; it's just the arches of the temple and it's just for the sake of historic replicas; it's not like suddenly people are going to start worshiping Baal or even know what the arches represent.

"For the sake of historic replica", however, is not an excuse to reproduce the objects of pagan religion. The very desire to want to preserve this as "heritage", wanting replicas of it made, is saying, "this has value"; it gives honor to Baal, even if others are ignorant of the meaning.

It shows the state of America: "let's remove the Ten Commandments, but let's put up arches of Baal".

[10 Commandments removed from Okla. Capitol]

edit: idea this exchange—of what's to be displayed publicly in the country—is only a visible expression of what the people have been valuing in their hearts and what they've been living by this whole time: not God's instructions, but pagan ways of being, thinking, doing.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:08 pm
cristobela
Young King under Heaven

"For the sake of historic replica", however, is not an excuse to reproduce the objects of pagan religion. The very desire to want to preserve this as "heritage", wanting replicas of it made, is saying, "this has value"; it gives honor to Baal, even if others are ignorant of the meaning.

It shows the state of America: "let's remove the Ten Commandments, but let's put up arches of Baal".

edit: idea this exchange of what's to be displayed publicly in the country is only a visible expression of what the people have been valuing in their hearts and what they've been living by this whole time: not God's instructions, but pagan ways of being, thinking, doing.

I don't see it as giving honor to Baal; I see it as giving honor to the architecture, cut off from any religious meaning.  

King Shining Heaven

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100

sassiebrat

Hitched Partner

18,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm
They're reproductions of the antiquities ISIS blew up.

God does not care what the reason.

But, again, we have to live in a pagan world JUST as the first believers did. Paul did not go around picketing the temple of diana or any place else. He taught us how to live in a world filled with pagan temples.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:32 pm
Young King under Heaven
cristobela
Young King under Heaven

edit: idea this exchange of what's to be displayed publicly in the country is only a visible expression of what the people have been valuing in their hearts and what they've been living by this whole time: not God's instructions, but pagan ways of being, thinking, doing.

I don't see it as giving honor to Baal; I see it as giving honor to the architecture, cut off from any religious meaning.

That's not how God sees it though:

i.e. King Ahaz taking architectural inspiration from the altars in Damascus.

• 2 Kings 16:10 (NIV)

10 Then King Ahaz went to Damascus to meet Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria. He saw an altar in Damascus and sent to Uriah the priest a sketch of the altar, with detailed plans for its construction.

How did YHWH view King Ahaz?

• 2 Kings 16:1-2 (NIV)

16 In the seventeenth year of Pekah son of Remaliah, Ahaz son of Jotham king of Judah began to reign. 2 Ahaz was twenty years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem sixteen years. Unlike David his father, he did not do what was right in the eyes of the Lord his God.

King Ahaz loved the ways of the nations, not the way of his God—who tells us to destroy traces of demon worship in our lives, not keep it alive (let alone make replicas of their demon worship).

Ahaz even went a step further and tried using that altar in God's very own temple (v. 11-14). But we don't have to go that far (dedicating the pagan thing to YHWH), to give honor to ways of the nations.

If it originated to honor pagan beliefs, it always continues to link back to those beliefs and thus gives honor to those gods/demons, whether we're ignorant of it or not, whether we're viewing it in a religious context or not. That altar of Damascus did not become acceptable to build just because it was taken out of its original religious context.

cristobela
Vice Captain

News with a Christian perspective

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces