We have the great privilege again tonight of looking into the future. And I want you to take your Bible or one that is nearby, perhaps you don't have one, there's one in the pew there, and turn to the sixth chapter of the last book in the Bible, the book of Revelation, the sixth chapter. And tonight we're going to look at verses 9, 10 and 11 in our ongoing study of this great chapter. Let me read these three verses, Revelation chapter 6, beginning at verse 9. "And when He broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the Word of God and because of the testimony which they had maintained. And they cried out with a loud voice, saying, `How long, O Lord, holy and true, wilt Thou refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" And there was given to each of them a white robe and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been should be completed, also."

As we begin an examination of this fifth seal and this most significant passage, it suits us to examine the thought of vengeance for a moment, because what this seal is all about is vengeance It is a cry on the part of these souls identified here for the Lord to avenge our blood, to bring about judgment. It is not inconsistent with God to make such a plea, although you would imagine in the world today that such a God does not exist, people have recast God in the form that pleases them, and, of course, have eliminated any thought of His being a vengeful God. But the God of Scripture is a God of vengeance. He Himself says in Deuteronomy 32:35, "Vengeance is Mine and retribution." Twice more in that same chapter, verses 41 and 43, He says, "I will render vengeance on My adversaries."

The psalmist affirmed the same truth about God when he wrote, "O Lord, God of vengeance, God of vengeance shine forth, rise up, O judge of the earth, render recompense to the proud." That's from Psalm 94. And the psalm ends this way, "The Lord our God will destroy." There are a number of what are called imprecatory psalms where the inspired writer of the psalm is calling for God to destroy the wicked, he's calling for God to bring about vengeance, the longest of those imprecations are found in Psalm 35 in Psalm 69 and in Psalm 109, and there are other portions of the Psalms with similar prayers for God to bring vengeance on the wicked.

Continue reading.

Read also real eyes realizes' comment on the rapture here.