Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Don't wait for the Lord?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:53 am
The background for this is that I have an uncle who makes claims that God speaks directly to him. One of his recent messages directed at me from the Lord reads in Norwegian:

EG VIL IKKE HØRE DITTA MASET TIL JORDBOARANE AT EG SKA KOMME TILBAKE. DRA DERE UT OG BRUK HENDENE DERES TIL NOE GODT. EN DAG KJEM EG AT. DEN DAGEN FÅR DERE OPPLEVE.

Translation:
I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU EARTHLINGS/EARTH DWELLERS NAG ABOUT ME RETURNING. GET OUT THERE ARE USE YOUR HANDS FOR GOOD. ONE DAY I AM GOING TO RETURN. YOU WILL NOT GET TO EXPERIENCE THIS DAY.

I am reacting to this message from the "Lord" with distrust. Why scold those who have a hope in His return? Why does He not scold anyone in the New Testament for expecting His immanent return if it is such a bad thing? Why is He using terms like earthlings/earth dwellers which I would say is something I would expect more from a science fiction writer? What are your thoughts? Shouldn't we be eagerly expecting the Lord at any time and be concerned with His coming?

Romans 8:23-25
Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved; but hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he can already see? But if we hope for what we do not yet see, we wait for it patiently.…

Revelation 22:7
"Look, I am coming soon!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:44 pm
Depends on what your uncle is referring to. Is he referring to people just hiding in a hole, doing nothing, not looking to serve people and fellow believers, not praying, not making any disciples as we wait, not crucifying the misdeeds of the flesh through the power of the Holy Spirit—but just sitting there saying, "Jesus better come back"? In which case, yeah, he's resonating with truth in that respect.

But we do look forward to His return as we live godly lives. It's not one or the other, but both: we live holy and godly lives and wait for His coming—or else, His return will not be a happy experience for the believer.

• 2 Peter 3:11-13 (NIV)

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.[a] That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Footnotes:

a. 2 Peter 3:12 Or as you wait eagerly for the day of God to come

• Revelation 22:20 (NIV)

20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

• 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9 (NIV)

6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might

• Matthew 24:48-51 (NIV)

48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

• Matthew 25:31-46 (NIV)

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

---

About the phrase "earth dwellers"/"earthlings", it resonates with the Old English more than modern English; maybe his mind is associating the modern day phrase with these verses:

• Revelation 3:10 (KJV)

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

• 1 Kings 8:43 (KJV)

43 Hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for: that all people of the earth may know thy name, to fear thee, as do thy people Israel; and that they may know that this house, which I have builded, is called by thy name.

cristobela
Vice Captain

CherieBunnie

Sugary Hourglass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:13 pm
Garland-Green
The background for this is that I have an uncle who makes claims that God speaks directly to him. One of his recent messages directed at me from the Lord reads in Norwegian:

EG VIL IKKE HØRE DITTA MASET TIL JORDBOARANE AT EG SKA KOMME TILBAKE. DRA DERE UT OG BRUK HENDENE DERES TIL NOE GODT. EN DAG KJEM EG AT. DEN DAGEN FÅR DERE OPPLEVE.

Translation:
I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU EARTHLINGS/EARTH DWELLERS NAGE ABOUT ME RETURNING. GET OUT THERE ARE USE YOUR HANDS FOR GOOD. ONE DAY I AM GOING TO RETURN. YOU WILL NOT GET TO EXPERIENCE THIS DAY.

I am reacting to this message from the "Lord" with distrust. Why scold those who have a hope in His return? Why does He not scold anyone in the New Testament for expecting His immanent return if it is such a bad thing? Why is He using terms like earthlings/earth dwellers which I would say is something I would expect more from a science fiction writer? What are your thoughts? Shouldn't we be eagerly expecting the Lord at any time and be concerned with His coming?

Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved; but hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he can already see? But if we hope for what we do not yet see, we wait for it patiently.…

"Look, I am coming soon!

Always trust your gut. Because it's not just your gut that makes you distrust things like that.. The Holy Spirit plays a part in that type of discernment, too.

It does sound strange. If God was truly speaking to him, I don't feel like he would be using the word "earthlings," but that could just be a language thing? You might not know what's really going on over there.. But I always tell people - take anything that anyone says about God and the Bible with a grain of salt.

We might not know for sure whether or not we will personally experience that day in our lifetimes, but we sure as heck know the Bible tells us to watch and be sober, and to pay attention to the signs of the times.

1 Thess 5:1-6 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:34 pm
A message before the first one I posted. The first one I have received that I still have on my phone on this particular subject;

Når alle folkeslag har fått forkynt evangeliet kjem Gud igjen. I Afrika har dei 7000 unådde spårk. Borneo har dei like mange unådde i jungelen. Hvor mange år greier dei det på? 50 år. 100 år. På 2000 år har dei nådd bare delvis.

Translation: When all the people of the world are told the Gospel God will return. In Africa there is 7000 unreached languages. In Borneo they have just as many unreached in the jungle. How many years will it take before they manage this? 50 years. 100 years. In 200 years they have only reached a small part.

My reply:
Har tenkt litt på det og det står i grunnen ikke noe i Bibelen om at den skal oversettes til alle språk... Det står bare at gospelet skal spres til alle verdenshjørner og så skal enden komme.

Ellers så er den ingen som sier at det skal ta lang tid for Jesus kommer tilbake i det nye testamentet. Jeg tror det er fordi Gud vil vi skal tenkte at det er kort tid slik at vi ikke sovner på post. Dersom noen tror det er lang tid kan det være at de venter med omvendelse eller at de blir lei av å vente. Sikkert ikke lurt å gå rundt å si til folk at det er mange hundre år til siden ingen andre gjøre det i Bibelen.

Translation:
Have thought about it a little and there is nothing in the Bible really about it being translated into all languages... It only says that the gospel is going to be spread to all corners of the earth and then the end will come.

Besides there are no one who says that it will take a long time before Jesus returns in the New Testament. I think that it is because God wants us to think it is a short time until so we don't fall asleep on our post. If someone thinks it is a long time til it could be that they put off repentance or that they get tired of waiting. It is probably not a good idea to go around and tell people that it is going to be many hundred years in the future since no one else in the Bible does it.

It is after these messages that the original post on the top of the page followed.

Comment.

There are roughly 6,500 spoken languages in the world today.
Source.

There is an estimated 1500-2000 African languages.

List of languages in Borneo. Many of which are spoken elsewhere in the world and already have had the gospel available in that language for some time;

Languages
Acèh
Afrikaans
العربية
Azərbaycanca
বাংলা
Bahasa Banjar
Bân-lâm-gú
Basa Banyumasan
Башҡортса
Беларуская
Беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎
Bikol Central
Български
Bosanski
Brezhoneg
Català
Cebuano
Čeština
Chi-Chewa
Cymraeg
Dansk
Deutsch
Eesti
Ελληνικά
Español
Esperanto
Euskara
فارسی
Føroyskt
Français
Frysk
Gaeilge
Gàidhlig
Galego
客家語/Hak-kâ-ngî
한국어
Հայերեն
हिन्दी
Hrvatski
Ido
Ilokano
Bahasa Indonesia
Ирон
Íslenska
Italiano
עברית
Basa Jawa
ქართული
Қазақша
Kernowek
Kiswahili
Кыргызча
Кырык мары
Latina
Latviešu
Lietuvių
Limburgs
Lumbaart
Magyar
Македонски
Malagasy
മലയാളം
मराठी
მარგალური
Bahasa Melayu
မြန်မာဘာသာ
Nederlands
日本語
Nordfriisk
Norsk bokmål
Norsk nynorsk
Occitan
Oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча
پنجابی
Tok Pisin
Polski
Português
Română
Русский
Scots
Seeltersk
Sicilianu
Simple English
Slovenčina
Slovenščina
Српски / srpski
Srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски
Basa Sunda
Suomi
Svenska
Tagalog
தமிழ்
ไทย
Тоҷикӣ
Türkçe
Türkmençe
Українська
اردو
Tiếng Việt
Winaray
吴语
粵語
Žemaitėška
中文

Source.

A link showing which languages the Bible has been translated into. This however does not account for individual presentation by missionaries/travelers of the Gospel in languages to people who doesn't have the Bible available so the figure could be much higher.

I see that I am wrong and that:
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 24:14)

However all it takes is one person who knows the language or one person speaking that language but who also speaks another language - and it doesn't have to be in a written form. It also says all nations - not all tongues. To estimate then how many nations are reached is nearly impossible unless we can somehow track every individual Christian or even non-Christians who having heard/read it somewhere recount what they have heard/read and what they are saying. For all we know the Gospel could already have been presented in all nations, perhaps even in all languages/tongues. 2000 years is a long time, and a lot has happened during that time that we don't have a record of.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:23 am
cristobela
Depends on what your uncle is referring to. Is he referring to people just hiding in a hole, doing nothing, not looking to serve people and fellow believers, not praying, not making any disciples as we wait, not crucifying the misdeeds of the flesh through the power of the Holy Spirit—but just sitting there saying, "Jesus better come back"? In which case, yeah, he's resonating with truth in that respect.

But we do look forward to His return as we live godly lives. It's not one or the other, but both: we live holy and godly lives and wait for His coming—or else, His return will not be a happy experience for the believer.

• 2 Peter 3:11-13 (NIV)

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.[a] That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Footnotes:

a. 2 Peter 3:12 Or as you wait eagerly for the day of God to come

• Revelation 22:20 (NIV)

20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

• 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9 (NIV)

6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might

• Matthew 24:48-51 (NIV)

48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

• Matthew 25:31-46 (NIV)

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

---

About the phrase "earth dwellers"/"earthlings", it resonates with the Old English more than modern English; maybe his mind is associating the modern day phrase with these verses:

• Revelation 3:10 (KJV)

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

• 1 Kings 8:43 (KJV)

43 Hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calleth to thee for: that all people of the earth may know thy name, to fear thee, as do thy people Israel; and that they may know that this house, which I have builded, is called by thy name.

I totally agree with what you are saying that it is possible to both live godly lives and look forward to the day of the Lord.

It is really hard to say what he means with 'jordboer'. Contextually I am inclined to think in terms of flying saucers and little grey men since he often speaks favorably of these. Not too long ago he said to me that God use UFO's to send angels to earth. So I am wary of the language he is using... It could be like you said that it only means those who dwell on the earth as they would use in old English (though it is not probable because he doesn't read English Bibles or old Norwegian translations of the Bible), but it could also be that he is channeling something. If he was he wouldn't know, or want to consider it a possibility.

It is the same voice who told him there was going to be a flood coming. That a mountain out here would fall into the ocean and it would cause a tsunami where many would die, and that this event was imminent - right around the corner. Going to happen in a the course of couple years. He went around and told this to everyone, and even wrote into to Christian magazines dealing with prophecy. Then God told Him He changes His mind. That it wasn't going to happen when He said it was going to happen.

Naturally I am wary of anything he says God has said. From what I gather God isn't flaky...Normally when God delays/cancel such things it is because of national or regional repentance? There has been no such thing here.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:38 am
CherieBunnie
Garland-Green

Translation:
I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOU EARTHLINGS/EARTH DWELLERS NAGE ABOUT ME RETURNING. GET OUT THERE ARE USE YOUR HANDS FOR GOOD. ONE DAY I AM GOING TO RETURN. YOU WILL NOT GET TO EXPERIENCE THIS DAY.

"Look, I am coming soon!

Always trust your gut. Because it's not just your gut that makes you distrust things like that.. The Holy Spirit plays a part in that type of discernment, too.

It does sound strange. If God was truly speaking to him, I don't feel like he would be using the word "earthlings," but that could just be a language thing? You might not know what's really going on over there.. But I always tell people - take anything that anyone says about God and the Bible with a grain of salt.

We might not know for sure whether or not we will personally experience that day in our lifetimes, but we sure as heck know the Bible tells us to watch and be sober, and to pay attention to the signs of the times.

1 Thess 5:1-6 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

From what I gather God wants us to think that it could happen any time so we don't become complacent, and He doesn't want us to think that He won't return because it may take longer than we think.

Even the martyrs under the altar in Revelation 6 are not scolded and told to stop nagging (met with anger) when they plead on God to come fast, only told that they had to wait a little longer. I don't see why God would be angry with someone for desiring justice... With someone wanting Him to come back. Why He would consider it nagging.

Revelation 6:9-11
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, were killed just as they had been.

It could be that it is just me reading something into the word he decided to use, but with how he has talked about UFOs and angels/grey men - it is hard not to read something like that into his choice of words.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

CherieBunnie

Sugary Hourglass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:37 pm
Garland-Green
CherieBunnie
Garland-Green

Translation:

"Look, I am coming soon!

From what I gather God wants us to think that it could happen any time so we don't become complacent, and He doesn't want us to think that He won't return because it may take longer than we think.

Even the martyrs under the altar in Revelation 6 are not scolded and told to stop nagging (met with anger) when they plead on God to come fast, only told that they had to wait a little longer. I don't see why God would be angry with someone for desiring justice... With someone wanting Him to come back. Why He would consider it nagging.

Revelation 6:9-11
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, were killed just as they had been.

Yep! The Bible absolutely never says that it is wrong to hope or to wonder when it will happen, never. But just like you brought up, Romans 8 says we should hope & wait eagerly for it! That's exactly how I feel, too. Even though I know that the world is going to become a rough place in the end times, and I know that some people will have to go through tribulation to find their faith... The Bible says that tribulation refines us and makes us better. And that the sufferings of the present time are nothing to be compared to what we receive in the end.

Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Garland-Green
It could be that it is just me reading something into the word he decided to use, but with how he has talked about UFOs and angels/grey men - it is hard not to read something like that into his choice of words.

Trust your gut. You can feel right from wrong in your heart when the Holy Spirit is guiding you. The Bible says specifically that our senses can be exercised to discern both good and evil.

Hebrews 5:13-14 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

I know it's hard when it's a family member that you care about... But I have family members that delve into weird things like that, too. My grandma and an aunt of mine are into psychic stuff. My grandma seriously claims that she has spoken to dead relatives... And this is a woman who is not Christian whatsoever. I personally believe that, if she's talking to anything, she's talking to demons.  
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games