Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
Ark Encounter’s Impact—Responding to Misinformation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Vizsla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:10 pm
by Ken Ham

The anti-God, agenda-driven secular media often try to fulfill their own (negative) prophecies about this Christian ministry. A good case in point was an item in our local Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper, a publication that has recently printed a few articles with misinformation about Answers in Genesis, the Creation Museum, and now the new Ark Encounter. The Enquirer article is quoted below, along with my comments.

Impact of NKY’s Giant Ark Felt Near but Not Far [NKY=Northern Kentucky]

Even the newspaper headline suggests a negative! What does it even mean? The economic impact is certainly being felt in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati region at hotels, restaurants, other businesses, and so on, as expected. And the impact of the biblical messages of the Ark is far and wide, as people visit from all across the United States and other parts of the world. Guests often comment on the enormous variety of license plates they see on cars in the parking lot, reflecting that people are coming here from all across America.

Tour buses, not animals, have lined up outside the giant ark in Grant County.

Yes, many tour buses have come loaded with people, though most such tours will increase in the fall (as our advance group bookings show). However, tens of thousands of cars have also brought multi-thousands of visitors. And no, we wouldn’t expect animals to be coming—that only happened with the original Ark in Noah’s day!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Anytime you plop a 500-foot-long Noah’s Ark in the middle of farmland, it’ll have an impact. But its initial impact has surprised Grant County residents.

Many secular reports claim the Ark is in the middle of farmland—as if it’s in the middle of nowhere! However, the Ark is located on 800 acres right at exit 154 on Interstate 75—the second busiest north/south interstate in the United States. The 4,000-space parking lot (built to accommodate increasing numbers of visitors as additional phases are added to the Ark Encounter) is just a few hundred yards off I-75 on Route 36.

People from all over the country have flocked to the Ark Encounter since it opened a month ago on July 7.

Yes—that’s true—and not just from all over the country, but from all over the world. Anytime I visit the Ark and meet visitors, I will ask where they are from, and every time I’ve met people from a variety of countries.

It’s brought more people than many expected, but they’re not venturing into the towns in the numbers some locals had hoped. Now that the national publicity has died down, Grant Countians are evaluating how this curious attraction built by people who take a literal interpretation of the Bible will fit in with the small town feel.

Yes, the visitor numbers have been outstanding. Of course, we need to get a year behind us to understand all the attendance trends. At present, indications are that attendance will be well over the minimum of 1.4 million per year predicted by America’s Research Group—the research estimated 1.4 million to 2.2 million per year. And certainly, visitors are pouring into the town of Dry Ridge, two exits north of the Ark exit, filling the hotels there and impacting restaurants, and other businesses. For instance, Beans Cafe & Bakery (my favorite stop for a latte and a maple-glazed donut or a sandwich) is enjoying a significant increase in the number of visitors on a daily basis. Many of the visitors tell them that they are from out of state and are staying in the area to visit the Ark and Creation Museum 40 miles away.

Richard Hayhoe, owner of Beans, told us, “We appreciate the steady stream of patrons that fuel up in the morning with our fresh baked items or relax later in the day with lunch or dinner.” Beans is a local, independent cafe, bakery, and ice cream spot with an excellent reputation for fresh food served by friendly faces (located at 21 Taft Hwy just off I-75 at exit 159).

Now it is true that Williamstown itself hasn’t seen the impact that Dry Ridge has, but that’s simply because there are no major hotels or restaurants in Williamstown, and there is no “anchor” facility in the town. However, over time, as development occurs, I predict there will be a great impact on this town. But it’s going to take developers to come in and get things going. I believe this will happen, for entrepreneurs will notice there are not enough hotel rooms in the area, and the Ark visitor numbers will continue to grow as the park expands!

It hasn’t created the traffic snarl some feared, but it also hasn’t led to the real estate boom some expected, said Dry Ridge Mayor Jim Wells.

First, the reporter should be saying, “Thanks to the Ark Encounter remaining open until midnight for the first 40 days during the summer busy period, this strategy has helped space out the vehicles coming to the attraction and alleviated traffic.

“Also, thanks should go to the Ark Encounter for working out a system where vehicles can come straight into the Ark’s parking lot without being stopped to pay for parking.

“And thanks to the Ark Encounter for paying $500,000 to put in the turn lanes on Route 36 to help with traffic flow. All this has helped alleviate traffic problems with those coming off the interstate at exit 154.”

In regard to real estate values, I don’t know what the Dry Ridge mayor may have said to the reporters about the Ark after being open for only a month. Much of what we say to these secular media is twisted or taken out of context. So I wonder if this quote is accurate—particularly since it’s not in quotation marks! I think most people realize that real estate values will increase over time as demand for property and development occurs. That’s true of any area when a major development occurs. Also, I’ve seen some properties for sale at prices that are not in accord with current demand—though prices may well increase down the road as development occurs. Once development begins to grow, I’m sure real estate values will go up.

Property owners have held onto property hoping the ark will drive values up, [Dry Ridge Mayor Jim Wells] said. That’s delayed three developments, Wells said, one a restaurant, another a “theme-based” hotel. The third project he wouldn’t release any details on, citing a confidentiality agreement.

“There are people that still believe their property because of the ark opening is worth so much more of than the cost can prove,” Wells said. “That is the no. 1 hindering factor for any new development.”

Certainly, the prices wanted for some properties are exceeding current values—one cannot expect values to rise immediately. This can take time—and should begin to increase exponentially depending on demand.

Grant Countians on the whole don’t seem bothered by the theology of the creationists behind the Creation Museum in Boone County and the Ark Encounter. Answers in Genesis, the organization which built both, proclaims the earth is 6,000 years old and people lived alongside dinosaurs.

Many reporters have a fixation on what we believe about the age of the earth and dinosaurs. The Ark has three massive decks of world-class exhibits (and a zoo, petting zoo, and other facilities), mainly emphasizing aspects of the Ark, the animals, Noah’s life on board, and so on. And yes, we do take God’s Word in Genesis literally as it is written as historical narrative. (By the way, we don’t take the whole Bible literally since some passages are poetic and Jesus spoke in parables and so on.) But reporters who don’t understand biblical interpretation will often make statements as if they are theologically trained. And reporters usually neglect to mention that the exhibits are presented in a very professional way.

Furthermore, we don’t try to force people to believe all of our interpretations. But surely people can be challenged to rethink what they believe about the ancient past. We live in a society that allows the free exercise of religion! Yet often, secular reporters try to marginalize us as being on the fringe! Keep in mind that 43,000 families/individuals donated to the Ark project, knowing clearly what the messages would be in the Ark’s exhibits—and AiG has over a million people total in its database.

The Ark Encounter represents economic potential as much as religion for [Grant Countians]. Hotel managers in the area see the ark as a godsend.

Of course they do! Many people tell us they have had trouble finding rooms because hotels were booked out! The website of a third party that the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum link to for lodging has reported thousands of hotel rooms being booked—way beyond their expectation.

It’s filled hotel rooms along Interstate 75 in the past month. That’s unusual for an area that’s mostly farms and didn’t allow liquor sales until this year.

And if the hotels are filled, then restaurants will have lots of extra patrons, gas stations will sell more fuel and other items—and so it goes! Local residents have told me they’ve never seen waiting times like they now see at the Cracker Barrel at Dry Ridge.

Managers of the Microtel Inn and Suites and Hampton Inn in Dry Ridge both said they’ve been at or near capacity since July 7. Reservations have increased 45 percent this July compared to last at Microtel, said manager Malish Patel. Every room has been filled every day this month, he said. That’s not normal.

So yes, the impact is great! We’re glad the reporter acknowledges this. It’s almost as if the reporter wanted to write a negative story but has to acknowledge the impact of the Ark Encounter has been actually phenomenal.

“I see mostly churches, lots of groups, that fill in our rooms,” Patel said. “They’re really great people and have come from many different states.”

Yes, many hotel clerks tell us they host a wonderful clientele who are here for the Creation Museum and Ark—with so many children who are so well behaved. Christians are having an impact.

Ark a potent draw

The operators, Answers in Genesis, won’t release attendance figures to the media, but told Kentucky State Police 8,000 people went through the ship on a recent Saturday.

We need to have a year behind us to correctly interpret the numbers of Ark visitors and the trends. It is true that right now indications (and with future bookings) are that attendance will be way beyond the minimum (and closer to the higher figure) predicted by America’s Research Group. And if we did release daily attendance figures, we will find that they will get twisted and misquoted by secularists anyway. And most tourist attractions don’t release their figures for many reasons. But I can say that between the Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter, combined visits since opening are well above a quarter of a million.

That’s not far-fetched based on the crowd there at noon on Thursday. At least 500 cars from 20 different states and Canada sat in the lot in front of the ark.

So the Ark is impacting not just near but far! The unique aspect of the Ark and Creation Museum is that most visitors come from outside our tristate area of Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky—bringing new money into the state of Kentucky.

Many people don’t make the trip to the region just for the ark. Conventions in Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati bus people in to see the ark then bus them back out. That means many of these people aren’t traveling around the countryside.

First of all, the majority of people come to the Ark in cars (some fly in and then rent cars). Some conventions do bus people in and out of the Ark—but many of these conventions also take people to other attractions too.

A banjo convention in Cincinnati on Thursday brought a couple dozen banjo pluckers from around the country to see the ark. They boarded a bus after their tour back to Cincinnati.

“This was on the program we could do,” said Sydney Aronis, a banjo player from Kansas. “I just thought it was out of this world, something you’ll never see again.”
Williamstown still a sleepy town

As a result, towns see some additional foot traffic but not much.

So because a couple of dozen people (out of thousands daily) came in a group and left, that’s supposedly why there’s not additional foot traffic in the local town?

A few miles from the ark, Williamstown’s streets could still be described as sleepy.

Williamstown does need some development and some anchor attractions downtown to get people to come—and it also needs some new hotels so people will stay in the area and search out what the town offers. It’s not the Ark’s fault that Williamstown has not seen an increase in traffic: new development is needed. I can see Williamstown becoming a quaint tourist town—but it needs some development itself for this to happen.

Part of the problem is that there’s nothing much to see in Grant County yet. Residents in December just voted to allow alcohol sales countywide. They still await to see any of the hotels and restaurants they hoped that would bring. For now, there are only a handful of restaurants, mostly fast food, along I-75, mainly in Dry Ridge.

And therein lies a problem. Exit 154 and downtown Williamstown need some new development. The reporter implies negatives against the Ark for not causing a bump in real estate prices and impact on the town of Williamstown—but then actually states a major part of the problem later in the article!

“We do have some (tourists) exploring downtown,” said Williamstown Mayor Rick Skinner “As the merchants are getting more advertising with the ark, we’re picking up traffic, but it’s not been as immediate as we thought it might be.” Kentucky State Police said they’ve had no traffic problems or protests since the Ark Encounter opened.

We have agreed to hand out flyers, along with Ark tickets, that advertise Williamstown and Grant County as a whole (and any attractions/businesses). Williamstown officials are working on this brochure, which could help promote the area. The potential problem of traffic is why the Ark Encounter worked to bring vehicles into the parking lot so easily and quickly! The strategy worked—particularly while there were extended hours (until midnight) for the busiest part of the portion of summer the Ark was opened.

Exit 154 off Interstate 75 in Williamstown has returned to normal aside from the giant ark nearby. It was a different sight July 7; hundreds of atheists picketed on the exit and confronted some intrepid creationists that ventured into the protest. Traffic backed up onto the interstate.

Ah, no! There were not hundreds of atheist protestors! At the peak time of the protest, there were about 120 people, and reliable sources told me that probably up to half of these were Christians who went to witness to the atheists!

Northern Kentucky benefiting more

For now, Boone County to the north and Scott County to the south have seen the most residual business from the ark. Clegguart Mitchell, his wife and eight children traveled from Iowa to see the ark and are staying in Boone County. They’re camping in Big Bone State Lick Park [sic], a park known for its bones of mammoths that died there more than 10,000 years ago . . . at least according to conventional science.

Regardless of when the last mammoths died, the Mitchells will be spending money throughout Northern Kentucky during their stay. “Any attractions where you have people coming from all over the place, everybody around is going to benefit,” Mitchell said.

Even though it’s 40 minutes south of the Ark Encounter, creationists have stopped off in Georgetown where there are more restaurants, hotels and attractions. Gretchen Soards has seen many church groups in her antique shop in downtown Georgetown, Heirlooms & Gretchen’s. “I’m tickled to death it’s open and getting such a good following,” Soards said of the ark.

Actually, it’s not just “creationists” who have stopped off in Georgetown and other places. A variety of people from different cultural and religious backgrounds are coming to the Ark—including many nonchurched people.

Answers in Genesis expects the Ark Encounter to get only bigger. They’re planning to build an 800-seat theater this fall and winter behind the ark to do a variety of animal shows and lectures, said Mike Zovath, chief action officer for Answers in Genesis and project director for the Ark Encounter.

We do predict next summer will be bigger than this successful summer. I really trust developers and businesses will listen to us and not listen to the continual stream of negative, false information from the secular media and atheist bloggers. In a way, I think much of the secular media is responsible for part of the issue regarding the impact on the surrounding area, as they have spread so much false information about the Ark Encounter.

After that, Answers in Genesis wants to build on the site a recreation of an ancient walled city, what they conceive one would look like during Noah’s time. “I think we’ve been benefitting from the national publicity,” Zovath said. “People who were not planning to visit saw the big ark and thought it was worth coming to see. Ours is continuing in a good direction.”

Construction will be ongoing for years at the Ark Encounter. We have many additions coming soon, and many new phases are being designed right now. Also, 40 miles away, we are building a much larger parking lot for the Creation Museum and expanding this facility that has seen a 70% increase in attendance since the Ark’s opening (as local hotels can testify to!)

Here’s the bottom line: Answers in Genesis has spent over $100 million in private funding (yes—all of it has been private, despite the continued false information spread by secular blogs and secular media) to build a world-class attraction (using many local contractors and purchasing from local businesses). Not one cent of government money has been used to build the Ark. Even the tourism sales tax rebate that we won doesn’t start kicking in until July 2017.

This themed attraction is bringing in thousands of visitors daily from across the nation and around the world. The local community will see increased tax revenues in this year and a growing impact in years to come. Hundreds of people have been employed at the Ark Encounter, and many more jobs have been created in the surrounding communities.

AiG has marketed the Ark on major TV networks, in Times Square, on billboards throughout the nation, and we used a variety of other media to promote the attraction. We have worked hard to ensure the Ark Encounter is of the standard and quality of a Disney attraction—in fact, as one secular reporter stated to me, “it’s beyond Hollywood” in quality.

The Ark Encounter can’t be held responsible for what others (businesses/developers) do or don’t do in the region. I challenge business owners and developers to take advantage of this big influx of visitors into the region to help their local communities prosper.

And how about the local secular media (like the Cincinnati Enquirer) acknowledge and thank Answers in Genesis for promoting the many tourist attractions in the region on our Ark Encounter and Creation Museum websites—even though most attractions do not reciprocate. In fact, most tourist attractions don’t promote other attractions as we do.

Also, how about the local media thank Answers in Genesis for employing over 400 full-time and 350 seasonal workers at its two attractions—and for creating thousands of other jobs in the local community!

Yes, Answers in Genesis is invested in the community. And we are thrilled to provide jobs and economic impact to families and businesses in the area. I challenge others in the region to help build on the impact the AiG ministry, Creation Museum, and Ark Encounter are having.

By the way, are the other tourist attractions in our area being held accountable by reporters for their economic impact as the Ark Encounter is held accountable by the media? Frankly, I’m tired of the obvious double standard. Many attractions in Kentucky have received the tourism tax rebate incentive, but have they been held accountable for impacting their communities, as many in the media are doing to the Ark Encounter? Unlike the Ark Encounter, which is totally privately funded, other museums in the area have received tax money to subsidize them (e.g., the Freedom Center1)—are they being held accountable by the media, as is being done with Ark Encounter? And actually, it’s ridiculous to write an article about supposed economic impact in our region including real estate values after an attraction had been open for just 30 days!

As I already stated, AiG has done what we promised to do with the Ark Encounter. It’s now up to the local communities to take advantage of the Ark’s presence! It’s not the Ark Encounter that should be held accountable for what happens locally!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:02 pm
I was reading with so much joy until...

Quote:
The operators, Answers in Genesis, won’t release attendance figures to the media, but told Kentucky State Police 8,000 people went through the ship on a recent Saturday.

Then a question popped into my mind: "what are their hours?"

So, I looked into their hours:

EXTENDED HOURS                                                                      STANDARD HOURS
            THROUGH OCTOBER 2016

Monday to Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 8 p.m.                           Monday to Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Sunday: Noon to 8 p.m.                                                             Sunday: Noon to 7:00 p.m.

[...]

Park is closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.

https://arkencounter.com/hours/

They're clearly not taking everything in the historical narrative literally.

And they are are giving more respect / honor to some self-imposed tradition, even barring people from work on those two days, out of merely human rules (the latter of those two celebrations being idolatrous anyway), but not barring people from work when it is Commanded by God?

• Matthew 15:3 (NIV)

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?

• Exodus 20:8-11 (NIV)

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

You can make them work the rest of the 6 days, but not the seventh. They themselves are working and/or making others work on the Sabbath (and not that it's Sunday, but clearly they're making it look like it is, but even then, going with their erroneous definition of the Sabbath, they're not even observing the Sabbath the way God commanded—you don't go to work; it's a 24-hour Sabbath). They're not honoring God's Commands. All the more unfitting for a museum that preaches the truth of how God created in six days, and rested on the seventh day of the week.

A shame because God does bless us when we keep the Sabbath.

• Isaiah 58:13-14 (NIV)

13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
              and from doing as you please on my holy day,
            if you call the Sabbath a delight
              and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
            and if you honor it by not going your own way
              and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
        14 then you will find your joy in the Lord,
              and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
              and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
                  For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

And according to Scripture, it's not just native-born Israelites keeping it, but foreigners outside of Israel too.

• Isaiah 56:6-8 (NIV)

6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
            to minister to him,
        to love the name of the Lord,
            and to be his servants,
        all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
            and who hold fast to my covenant—
        7 these I will bring to my holy mountain
            and give them joy in my house of prayer.
        Their burnt offerings and sacrifices
            will be accepted on my altar;
        for my house will be called
            a house of prayer for all nations.”
        8 The Sovereign Lord declares—
            he who gathers the exiles of Israel:
        “I will gather still others to them
            besides those already gathered.”

These foreigners, in Isaiah 56, are living outside of Israel while keeping the Sabbath.

Then these foreigners will be brought to His house of prayer along with the exiles of Israel (whom were scattered across the nations, but are now being regathered), into Israel.

In Isaiah 66, all mankind, not just Israelites, going to worship from one Sabbath to another, one New moon to another.

• Isaiah 66:22-24 (NIV)

22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord. 24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

The future is not calendar-less, but based on YHWH's reckoning of time. What people are doing essentially is saying, "it might be tuesday for you today, but not for me; it will be tuesday for me tomorrow" despite living in the same town and same time zone. That's crazy talk. burning_eyes

I know it's only due to unstable handling of Paul's epistles that people walk away with such interpretations, as Peter warned i.e. 2 Peter 3:15-17. So, I'm not that surprised, but it's frustrating to come across. And it's because I wish them well in this endeavor, that I don't want them to break God's Commands on purpose. Yes, there is a general principle of seeking people's well-being by not overworking them, by not making them work more than 6 days continuously. But, yes as well, Biblically, "when the Sabbath day occurs" is not a multiple choice answer. We don't even collect money for God's purposes when it is still the Sabbath; it is collected on the first day of the week /or when it becomes dark on the seventh day of the week, since that's when the first day begins (1 Corinthians 16:2).

• 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NIV)

2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

In line with:

• Nehemiah 10:31 (NIV)

31 “When the neighboring peoples bring merchandise or grain to sell on the Sabbath, we will not buy from them on the Sabbath or on any holy day. Every seventh year we will forgo working the land and will cancel all debts.

It's not Sunday (the first day of the week a.k.a. the day Jesus rose) that is the Sabbath. Sunday (the first day of the week) is the day after the Sabbath.

• Matthew 28:1 (NIV)

28 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

The tradition of meeting up on the first day of the week, does not supplant the Sabbath.

What AiG is doing is not an emergency—e.g. emergency medicine, that needs to be bought, emergency rescue. This is pre-meditated, deliberately seeking to work / do business on the Sabbath, and making it look like a regular week day. People can try to use their own reasoning and twist Paul's epistles to say otherwise, but they are profaning what God called Holy.

• Ezekiel 22:26 (NIV)

26 Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.

note for anyone reading this: the interpretation that Jesus declared all animals clean is ignoring details in the very passages and chapters they're quoting from which I highlighted here [Details in the New Testament that Get Ignored]; Thus why He still recognizes certain animals as unclean in the Book of Revelation.

• Revelation 18:2 (NIV)

2 With a mighty voice he shouted:

“‘Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great!’[a]
            She has become a dwelling for demons
        and a haunt for every impure spirit,
            a haunt for every unclean bird,
            a haunt for every unclean and detestable animal.

Footnotes:

a. Revelation 18:2 Isaiah 21:9

We can't let seminaries blind us towards these details.

cristobela
Vice Captain

The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces