Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Should Christians vote?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ButterFlyCross89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:11 pm
This video in my opinion is very informative. It gave me one of those, "I never thought of it that way" moments and "oh I didn't know that" moments. One of the points I got from the video is not to involve ourselves with the political process.

I feel it comes down to trusting God and doing what he said we should do.

Should Christians Vote?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:17 pm
I share his stance on a lot of things (pledging allegiance to God's Kingdom, Laws, and rule, not an earthly kingdom [and the contrary-to-God philosophies it stands for]. I'd respect the authorities and obey the laws [as long as they don't keep me from living holy], and would rather pray for the leader than be politically active, etc). But he's Biblically-incorrect for insinuating that Christians can't drink an alcoholic beverage (I personally don't drink alcohol, but Biblically, it's not forbidden) nor is it Biblicaly-correct that a Christian cannot be involved whatsoever in government / in making the laws. By saying such things, he's not honoring that, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Tim 3:16 [NIV]), unless he's just not aware of certain examples.

Alcoholic Beverage

• Deuteronomy 14:26 (NIV)

26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

• Ecclesiastes 9:7 (NIV)

7 Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do.

• Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

6 Let beer be for those who are perishing,
            wine for those who are in anguish!
        7 Let them drink and forget their poverty
            and remember their misery no more.

Though I will say, this is for the common person, not while operating in a position of high responsibility where you need to keep your discernment as sharp as possible or else there will be dire consequences.

• Proverbs 31:4 (NIV)

4 It is not for kings, Lemuel—
            it is not for kings to drink wine,
            not for rulers to crave beer,

• Ezekiel 44:21 (NIV)

21 No priest is to drink wine when he enters the inner court.

• Leviticus 10:8-11 (NIV)

8 Then the Lord said to Aaron, 9 “You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the tent of meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, 10 so that you can distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, 11 and so you can teach the Israelites all the decrees the Lord has given them through Moses.”

Operating in the Government—not just suggesting policies/laws, but even enforcing them and working as a govt. official.

Joseph

• Genesis 41:25-27 (NIV)

25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good heads of grain are seven years; it is one and the same dream. 27 The seven lean, ugly cows that came up afterward are seven years, and so are the seven worthless heads of grain scorched by the east wind: They are seven years of famine.

• Genesis 41:33-43 (NIV)

33 “And now let Pharaoh look for a discerning and wise man and put him in charge of the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh appoint commissioners over the land to take a fifth of the harvest of Egypt during the seven years of abundance. 35 They should collect all the food of these good years that are coming and store up the grain under the authority of Pharaoh, to be kept in the cities for food. 36 This food should be held in reserve for the country, to be used during the seven years of famine that will come upon Egypt, so that the country may not be ruined by the famine.”

37 The plan seemed good to Pharaoh and to all his officials. 38 So Pharaoh asked them, “Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God[a]?”

39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. 40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.”

41 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” 42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. 43 He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command,[b] and people shouted before him, “Make way[c]!” Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt.

Footnotes:

a. Genesis 41:38 Or of the gods
        b. Genesis 41:43 Or in the chariot of his second-in-command; or in his second chariot
        c. Genesis 41:43 Or Bow down

Joseph could've rejected, and said, "no, for me to do so would be against the God I serve, thanks but no thanks". But that's not what happened.

The Israelites exiled in Babylon

• Daniel 2:48-49 (NIV)

48 Then the king placed Daniel in a high position and lavished many gifts on him. He made him ruler over the entire province of Babylon and placed him in charge of all its wise men. 49 Moreover, at Daniel’s request the king appointed Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego administrators over the province of Babylon, while Daniel himself remained at the royal court.

• Daniel 3:8-12 (NIV)

8 At this time some astrologers[a] came forward and denounced the Jews. 9 They said to King Nebuchadnezzar, “May the king live forever! 10 Your Majesty has issued a decree that everyone who hears the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe and all kinds of music must fall down and worship the image of gold, 11 and that whoever does not fall down and worship will be thrown into a blazing furnace. 12 But there are some Jews whom you have set over the affairs of the province of Babylon—Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego—who pay no attention to you, Your Majesty. They neither serve your gods nor worship the image of gold you have set up.”

• Daniel 3:28-30 (NIV)

28 Then Nebuchadnezzar said, “Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king’s command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. 29 Therefore I decree that the people of any nation or language who say anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego be cut into pieces and their houses be turned into piles of rubble, for no other god can save in this way.”

30 Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the province of Babylon.

• Daniel 8:27 (NIV)

27 I, Daniel, was worn out. I lay exhausted for several days. Then I got up and went about the king’s business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding.

In both cases, an Israelite in Egypt or an Israelite in Babylon (a servant of God out in the world, in a foreign government, where they are not a citizen), the servant of God starts out as a humble servant, just obeying the authority they're under, then gives spiritual advice when there's a need, but ultimately the government head naturally wants to appoint us to positions of authority because of the wisdom from God that we submit to and that comes out of our mouths. I don't think people are seeking positions of power in either case though. But if you find yourself appointed to such a position, it's not a sin to accept it and be of aid to the people of that nation and to your own nation exiled within it as well. In both cases, Joseph and Daniel (and co.) were not in their home country (the country they were "citizens" of—Jerusalem, and Jerusalem being a shadow of the New Jerusalem, the city that will come down from Heaven, ergo our citizenship being in Heaven is not a deterrant).

• Revelation 3:12 (NIV)

12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.

• Revelation 21:10-27 (NIV)

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia[a] in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits[b] thick.[c] 18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.[d] 21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Footnotes:

a. Revelation 21:16 That is, about 1,400 miles or about 2,200 kilometers
        b. Revelation 21:17 That is, about 200 feet or about 65 meters
        c. Revelation 21:17 Or high
        d. Revelation 21:20 The precise identification of some of these precious stones is uncertain.

All that to say, just because we're citizens of another place, that does not mean we can't be of aid to the governments of earthly kingdoms if we find ourselves in a position to do so, and can do so righteously (though it's usually by someone else's force / obligation on us that we find ourselves in such positions...Daniel was exiled and selected by the king's court officials to go through training [Daniel 1:3-6], Joseph was sold as a slave, then was imprisoned and summoned out of prison by Pharaoh to interpret a dream [Genesis 37:28, Genesis 41:9-14], so they're not out to conquer the world's governments in some ambitious political aspiration. The opportunity to lead, govern and advise, just falls into their lap). Another big difference is that these were monarchies. Not elected officials by the populace. But, regardless of the government type, God made it very clear that we should not be relying on some government leader to save us, but relying on Him.

• 1 Samuel 8:4-9 (NIV)

4 So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. 5 They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead[a] us, such as all the other nations have.”

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

Footnotes:

a. 1 Samuel 8:5 Traditionally judge; also in verses 6 and 20

• 1 Samuel 12:19 (NIV)

19 The people all said to Samuel, “Pray to the Lord your God for your servants so that we will not die, for we have added to all our other sins the evil of asking for a king.”

• Jeremiah 17:5 (NIV)

5 This is what the Lord says:

“Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
            who draws strength from mere flesh
            and whose heart turns away from the Lord.

• Psalm 118:8 (NIV)

8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
          than to trust in humans.

I'd rather pray that God moves the hearts of the people in a way that would be most beneficial to His Kingdom and His purposes, because we might think electing one person would be conducive to that, but God sees something else. I can't foresee what a person will do. But God can. And God can change a man's heart and put ideas into his head for our favor.

• 2 Chronicles 36:22-23 (NIV)

22 In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to make a proclamation throughout his realm and also to put it in writing:

23 “This is what Cyrus king of Persia says:

“‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and he has appointed me to build a temple for him at Jerusalem in Judah. Any of his people among you may go up, and may the Lord their God be with them.’”

cristobela
Vice Captain

ButterFlyCross89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:05 am
cristobela
I share his stance on a lot of things (pledging allegiance to God's Kingdom, Laws, and rule, not an earthly kingdom [and the contrary-to-God philosophies it stands for]. I'd respect the authorities and obey the laws [as long as they don't keep me from living holy], and would rather pray for the leader than be politically active, etc). But he's Biblically-incorrect for insinuating that Christians can't drink an alcoholic beverage (I personally don't drink alcohol, but Biblically, it's not forbidden) nor is it Biblicaly-correct that a Christian cannot be involved whatsoever in government / in making the laws. By saying such things, he's not honoring that, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Tim 3:16 [NIV]), unless he's just not aware of certain examples.

Alcoholic Beverage

• Deuteronomy 14:26 (NIV)

26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice.

• Ecclesiastes 9:7 (NIV)

7 Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do.

• Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

6 Let beer be for those who are perishing,
            wine for those who are in anguish!
        7 Let them drink and forget their poverty
            and remember their misery no more.

Though I will say, this is for the common person, not while operating in a position of high responsibility where you need to keep your discernment as sharp as possible or else there will be dire consequences.

• Proverbs 31:4 (NIV)

4 It is not for kings, Lemuel—
            it is not for kings to drink wine,
            not for rulers to crave beer,

• Ezekiel 44:21 (NIV)

21 No priest is to drink wine when he enters the inner court.

• Leviticus 10:8-11 (NIV)

8 Then the Lord said to Aaron, 9 “You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the tent of meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, 10 so that you can distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, 11 and so you can teach the Israelites all the decrees the Lord has given them through Moses.”

Operating in the Government—not just suggesting policies/laws, but even enforcing them and working as a govt. official.

Joseph

• Genesis 41:25-27 (NIV)

25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good heads of grain are seven years; it is one and the same dream. 27 The seven lean, ugly cows that came up afterward are seven years, and so are the seven worthless heads of grain scorched by the east wind: They are seven years of famine.

• Genesis 41:33-43 (NIV)

33 “And now let Pharaoh look for a discerning and wise man and put him in charge of the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh appoint commissioners over the land to take a fifth of the harvest of Egypt during the seven years of abundance. 35 They should collect all the food of these good years that are coming and store up the grain under the authority of Pharaoh, to be kept in the cities for food. 36 This food should be held in reserve for the country, to be used during the seven years of famine that will come upon Egypt, so that the country may not be ruined by the famine.”

37 The plan seemed good to Pharaoh and to all his officials. 38 So Pharaoh asked them, “Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God[a]?”

39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. 40 You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you.”

41 So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt.” 42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph’s finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. 43 He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command,[b] and people shouted before him, “Make way[c]!” Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt.

Footnotes:

a. Genesis 41:38 Or of the gods
        b. Genesis 41:43 Or in the chariot of his second-in-command; or in his second chariot
        c. Genesis 41:43 Or Bow down

Joseph could've rejected, and said, "no, for me to do so would be against the God I serve, thanks but no thanks". But that's not what happened.

The Israelites exiled in Babylon

• Daniel 2:48-49 (NIV)

48 Then the king placed Daniel in a high position and lavished many gifts on him. He made him ruler over the entire province of Babylon and placed him in charge of all its wise men. 49 Moreover, at Daniel’s request the king appointed Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego administrators over the province of Babylon, while Daniel himself remained at the royal court.

• Daniel 3:8-12 (NIV)

8 At this time some astrologers[a] came forward and denounced the Jews. 9 They said to King Nebuchadnezzar, “May the king live forever! 10 Your Majesty has issued a decree that everyone who hears the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe and all kinds of music must fall down and worship the image of gold, 11 and that whoever does not fall down and worship will be thrown into a blazing furnace. 12 But there are some Jews whom you have set over the affairs of the province of Babylon—Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego—who pay no attention to you, Your Majesty. They neither serve your gods nor worship the image of gold you have set up.”

• Daniel 3:28-30 (NIV)

28 Then Nebuchadnezzar said, “Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king’s command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. 29 Therefore I decree that the people of any nation or language who say anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego be cut into pieces and their houses be turned into piles of rubble, for no other god can save in this way.”

30 Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the province of Babylon.

• Daniel 8:27 (NIV)

27 I, Daniel, was worn out. I lay exhausted for several days. Then I got up and went about the king’s business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding.

In both cases, an Israelite in Egypt or an Israelite in Babylon (a servant of God out in the world, in a foreign government, where they are not a citizen), the servant of God starts out as a humble servant, just obeying the authority they're under, then gives spiritual advice when there's a need, but ultimately the government head naturally wants to appoint us to positions of authority because of the wisdom from God that we submit to and that comes out of our mouths. I don't think people are seeking positions of power in either case though. But if you find yourself appointed to such a position, it's not a sin to accept it and be of aid to the people of that nation and to your own nation exiled within it as well. In both cases, Joseph and Daniel (and co.) were not in their home country (the country they were "citizens" of—Jerusalem, and Jerusalem being a shadow of the New Jerusalem, the city that will come down from Heaven, ergo our citizenship being in Heaven is not a deterrant).

• Revelation 3:12 (NIV)

12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.

• Revelation 21:10-27 (NIV)

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia[a] in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits[b] thick.[c] 18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst.[d] 21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Footnotes:

a. Revelation 21:16 That is, about 1,400 miles or about 2,200 kilometers
        b. Revelation 21:17 That is, about 200 feet or about 65 meters
        c. Revelation 21:17 Or high
        d. Revelation 21:20 The precise identification of some of these precious stones is uncertain.

All that to say, just because we're citizens of another place, that does not mean we can't be of aid to the governments of earthly kingdoms if we find ourselves in a position to do so, and can do so righteously (though it's usually by someone else's force / obligation on us that we find ourselves in such positions...Daniel was exiled and selected by the king's court officials to go through training [Daniel 1:3-6], Joseph was sold as a slave, then was imprisoned and summoned out of prison by Pharaoh to interpret a dream [Genesis 37:28, Genesis 41:9-14], so they're not out to conquer the world's governments in some ambitious political aspiration. The opportunity to lead, govern and advise, just falls into their lap). Another big difference is that these were monarchies. Not elected officials by the populace. But, regardless of the government type, God made it very clear that we should not be relying on some government leader to save us, but relying on Him.

• 1 Samuel 8:4-9 (NIV)

4 So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. 5 They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead[a] us, such as all the other nations have.”

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

Footnotes:

a. 1 Samuel 8:5 Traditionally judge; also in verses 6 and 20

• 1 Samuel 12:19 (NIV)

19 The people all said to Samuel, “Pray to the Lord your God for your servants so that we will not die, for we have added to all our other sins the evil of asking for a king.”

• Jeremiah 17:5 (NIV)

5 This is what the Lord says:

“Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
            who draws strength from mere flesh
            and whose heart turns away from the Lord.

• Psalm 118:8 (NIV)

8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord
          than to trust in humans.

I'd rather pray that God moves the hearts of the people in a way that would be most beneficial to His Kingdom and His purposes, because we might think electing one person would be conducive to that, but God sees something else. I can't foresee what a person will do. But God can. And God can change a man's heart and put ideas into his head for our favor.

• 2 Chronicles 36:22-23 (NIV)

22 In the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord moved the heart of Cyrus king of Persia to make a proclamation throughout his realm and also to put it in writing:

23 “This is what Cyrus king of Persia says:

“‘The Lord, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth and he has appointed me to build a temple for him at Jerusalem in Judah. Any of his people among you may go up, and may the Lord their God be with them.’”

Thank you for more details on the matter. While I also do not drink, i did find it weird that he said we weren't supposed to drink. Especially when one of Jesus's miracles was turning water into wine. John 2: 1-11
Also i cant remember when was the last time a President in the USA had a Christian Adviser, if they ever did.  
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games