Submit

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:09 pm
I thought this was a very interesting article. http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/technology/weapons-of-math-destruction/index.html

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 pm
That sadly is how it is, companies assume that your background tells everything about you. When you can't get a job, you sink further, making you less likely to get a job.  

delasislas

Friendly Gaian

18,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:01 am
And now you understand why prob and stats is one of my least favorite maths.
Not because I'm bad at it (quite the opposite, actually), but because I know how such things are used, and often it's not in a fair or proper manner.
And it's so very easy to skew a scale and make things appear in a certain light to someone not looking closely enough.
(And, spoilers, most people don't look closely enough.)
Terribly frustrating, really.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:23 am
I can't get involved in these conversations anymore xD I just make people extremely depressed and inadvertently herd them into a nihilistic void .  

Gear Bush

Eternal Lunatic

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 am
Queen Spazzy
And now you understand why prob and stats is one of my least favorite maths.
Not because I'm bad at it (quite the opposite, actually), but because I know how such things are used, and often it's not in a fair or proper manner.
And it's so very easy to skew a scale and make things appear in a certain light to someone not looking closely enough.
(And, spoilers, most people don't look closely enough.)
Terribly frustrating, really.

I do understand xD you have quite the point.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:29 am
I thought it was used as an excuse so they wouldn't have to pay more people.>.>;  

Speedira Windira

Mind-boggling Bookworm

Mera1506

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:11 am
First of all, math on itself is NOT racist. It is a tool people can use for both good and bad things. In this case it is used for business to squeeze as much money out of everyone as absolutely possible and screwing over the customer and employees.

I do not believe in racial bias much at all. The peoverty rate per capita is higher in black communities, but so are the number of single parent(and with that single income) households. Those two are related. This doesnt make it racist, it shows there are issues that need be addressed in the community. Like bringing the fathers back in the lives of their kids...

But the rich elite happily screw over everyone else, they do NOT care about your skin color.  
Randomness is a Virtue!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games