Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Midwest Conventions
Youmacon 2016 - Downtown Detroit Michigan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:41 am
Greetings Everyone,

It's my favorite time of year again. Being born on Halloween and Fall being my favorite season I look forward to everything that happens in October. The "winds of change", changing colors of leaves on the trees, and frost on the pumpkins. All of this and more is why I Love living in Michigan and the Midwest.

I live a short ways away from both Detroit Metro Airport and a half hour drive from the city that I was born in. Detroit, Michigan!! One thing that we are really good at in Downtown Detroit is throwing a party!!

Youmacon 2016 is celebrating it's 12th year this year. This year will mark the 8th time that I've been to Youmacon with my Brother "Obiwan82" who is now a member of this Guild. This will also be my 13th Con overall. Last year I had the privilege and honor of meeting of Kyari "kyari cloudcakes" one of our Guild Members at Youmacon 2015. It was a special day because she got married that day and spent part of her honeymoon at the con. I can't think of a better thing to do to show your Love of Cosplay, Anime, etc.

This year Youmacon 2016 is from Thur Nov 3rd, 2016 through Sun Nov 6th, 2016. My brother and I will be their on Sunday Nov 2016. It would be my honor to meet any Guild members who are going to Youmacon on Sunday. Being this Guild's main Cosplay Photographer I offer a chance for anyone interested to have a photoshoot done of them for free and for the fun of it!! Like last year I would post any photos from a photo shoot done of a person from this Guild in this Sub Forum. So think it over and let me know if you are interested.

Sunday this year at the con is at the end of Daylight Savings Time, which means that all of the times that I'm going to list is all in Eastern Standard Time. Make sure to set your clocks back 1 hour.

Dates - Thur Nov 3rd, 2016 through Sun Nov 6th, 2016
Location - Renaissance Center and Cobo Hall, Downtown Detroit, Michigan
Con Registration (Tickets to get into the Con) - 9am - 2pm
Dealers / Artist Alley Room - 10am - 4pm. Note: The Con itself ends at 6pm.
Tickets / Badges at the door for Sunday only - $25 (Cash only)
Website - Youmacon 2016

My brother and I hope to get an autograph from one of the Voice Actors / Actresses this year. Some of the Guests that I'm interested in - Cristina Vee (She does the voice for Sailor Mars), Monica Rial, and Vic Mignogna.

Please let me know who is going to Youmacon 2016 this year and especially if you are going to be their on Sunday during the day. Even if I don't do a photoshoot of you I would still like to meet any members of this Guild. smile

Smithers456 (Ron)
Guild Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:38 pm
I'll be there~~  

IchiLoveTan

Unsealed Buddy

10,925 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:41 pm
IchiLoveTan
I'll be there~~

Greetings IchiLoveTan,

Thanks for letting me know. It would be nice to meet you on Sunday of the convention. I'm going to be Cosplaying Syaoran again from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. My Avi is dressed up like him right now. Most of that day I will be buying "Swag" stuff and taking Cosplayer photos like usual.

So who are you be Cosplaying this year. I'm not sure yet of my exact schedule for the day but I would make time to see you. So please let me know if you would like to meet. If not that's fine no pressure.

Take Care,
Smithers (Ron)
Guild Captain  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm
smithers456
IchiLoveTan
I'll be there~~

Greetings IchiLoveTan,

Thanks for letting me know. It would be nice to meet you on Sunday of the convention. I'm going to be Cosplaying Syaoran again from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. My Avi is dressed up like him right now. Most of that day I will be buying "Swag" stuff and taking Cosplayer photos like usual.

So who are you be Cosplaying this year. I'm not sure yet of my exact schedule for the day but I would make time to see you. So please let me know if you would like to meet. If not that's fine no pressure.

Take Care,
Smithers (Ron)
Guild Captain

Ah! I am cosplaying Sakura from cardcaptor maybe sunday. We should meet at the big stairs at Cobo :3  

IchiLoveTan

Unsealed Buddy

10,925 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 am
IchiLoveTan
smithers456
IchiLoveTan
I'll be there~~

Greetings IchiLoveTan,

Take Care,
Smithers (Ron)
Guild Captain

Ah! I am cosplaying Sakura from cardcaptor maybe sunday. We should meet at the big stairs at Cobo :3

Oh, I recently found a copy of part of the Uncut Japanese Version of CardCaptor Sakura the series, I have Episodes 9 through 12!! I got a few years ago CardCaptor Sakura the movie. The Characters were changed some and are in the Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles series. A series that you know that I like a lot.

So which version of Sakura are you going to Cosplay. Her School Girl Uniform. CardCaptor Version, or the Kawaii version of her wearing the Pink Dress that I see in the series credits? Please let me know.

I'm only going to be at the con on Sunday. Meeting at the stairs at Cobo Hall is a great idea. It's near where the Dealers Room is. Both my Brother and my friends will be in the Dealers Room around 11am Sunday. 1pm or 2pm would be good times to meet. I could even do a mini photoshoot of you for the Guild and for the pure fun of it. Just like I did for Kyari last year. Once again please let me know about your plans and if meeting at 1pm or 2pm works for you.

Oh what name do you prefer to be called by. It doesn't have to be your real name. An Internet Alias is just fine. For me my real name is Ron, though you can call me Smithers of course or even Syaoran.

Take Care,
Smithers (Ron)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:44 pm
I'll be there! I'm currently still working on my cosplays right now lol. They are almost done though. I will be fem America from Hetalia and a crossover cosplay that my cousin and I made up; Pokemon breeder sailor scouts! I will be Sailor Mercury~ My cousin will be going as Sailor Moon as well as fem Canada from Hetalia. I'm so excited! This will be my 5th year going.

Ghost Girlfriend

Mewling Vampire

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 am
Amethyst Wallflower
I'll be there! I'm currently still working on my cosplays right now lol. They are almost done though. I will be fem America from Hetalia and a crossover cosplay that my cousin and I made up; Pokemon breeder sailor scouts! I will be Sailor Mercury~ My cousin will be going as Sailor Moon as well as fem Canada from Hetalia. I'm so excited! This will be my 5th year going.

Wow, that's really cool that you are doing Crossover Cosplays. Something that I had not heard of before. Being a big fan of both Sailor Moon and Pokemon it would be nice to see how the Crossover Cosplay outfits turn out. Feel free to post photos on this thread. If you are going to be at the con on Sunday it would be nice to meet you. Please let me know if you are interested.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:45 am
I'm still reflecting on what I did and saw at Youmacon 2016. Here are some of my "Convention Moments":

Meeting Voice Actors for the First Time Ian Sinclair and Joel McDonald.

Ian is a great guy who was the voice of characters from series that I like a lot including Dragonball Z, Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and especially Fairy Tail!! Instead of Cosplaying this year I wore my Fairy Tail series shirt instead. I know that Ian got a kick about that. One of the things that caught my eye is that Ian had small drawings showing off many of the characters that he did the voices for.

In addition to Voice Acting Joel McDonald has done adaptive scriptwriter work on other series that I like a lot including Dragonball Z Kai, Fate/Stay Night, and especially Claymore.

I always enjoy checking out the artwork in the Artist Alley. Without the Creative Genius of Artists we would not have Manga and Anime to enjoy. I spend a lot of time talking to the different artists and critiquing their work. I bought a beautiful Princess Serenity print done by the artist Alexis Royce. You can check out her work at http://alexisroyce.deviantart.com/

I met my friend Courtney who did a fem Ichigo Kurosaki cosplay from the Bleach Anime series. She did a great job on her second Cosplay Outfit.

I hope that our Guild Members Amethyst Wallflower and IchiLoveTan had a wonderful time at the con.

If you get the chance check out Youmacon 2017 next year in Downtown Detroit. Youmacon is one of the largest Anime / Cosplay cons in the United States!!  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Midwest Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers