Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Charms I ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 am
CHARMS I
Professor Elsbeth Shoichet

User Image

Tuesday 8:00 AM - 8:45 AM
((This class updates on Saturdays in real time; students posted on or after Tuesday of that week will be considered late to class.))

SUPPLIES

- Your wand

- A quill and plenty of parchment and/or notebooks

- Your textbook

CLASS RULES

- Be on time; detentions will be given if you are consistently late.

- Come prepared; if you don't have what you need, you will not participate at all. It's as simple as that.

- Wands should be out and laid on your desks; do not attempt any charm until you are given the go-ahead to do so.

- Remain in your seats, and keep your hands and feet to yourselves. When magic is involved, showing some self-restraint and being aware of your surroundings is crucial.

- Raise your hand; no one can learn if everyone is talking over each other. There is a time and a place for idle chatter, and it's not when your professor or one of your peers is addressing the class.

- Do no harm. Unless specifically instructed to by the professor, no charms or spells of any sort should be directed at another person. If you attempt to injure someone else in this class, you will be removed from the class.

- Bullying, mocking, and/or ostracizing other students is not permitted in this room. Keep your personal disagreements out of this class; this is a learning environment, not somewhere for you to air your feuds. Anyone found to be bullying another student will face very harsh consequences for their actions.

LIST OF KNOWLEDGE

[ ] Wingardium Leviosa
[ ] Reparo
[ ] Incendio
[ ] Spongify

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:06 am
Listen to me, please sit down and stay-
I'm gonna build a house and hide away!
Gather timber from the ground...
I'll build a castle that won't fall down.
And when I'm done the clock will stop and from,
Our heads will come bright flowers.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

BLOOD TRAITORFORMER HUFFLEPUFFCHARMS PROFESSOR

It was Tuesday morning, which marked Elsie's second day of classes. Luckily, her only class today was the first years, and if she'd handled the second and fifth year yesterdays, she was sure she'd be fine. She rearranged her desk for the millionth time, made sure the door hadn't swung shut on her, and began to write on the board as students began to file inside; the 8 o'clock bell was sure to begin to toll within a minute or two, marking the beginning of the first period of classes. When she was done writing she turned to face the class, wiping a bit of errant chalk dust off of her jeans. In one corner of the board the class rules were neatly outlined; in another the homework assignment, in yet another the supply list, and in the final corner, a doodle that looked like it had been scrawled by a student and smudged over. In the center WHAT IS A CHARM? was written in bright yellow chalk, and underlined. Twice. "Good morning everyone," Elsie said brightly, hoping she didn't sound condescending or as if she expected them all to chorus 'good morning' back. "I hope you enjoyed your first day of classes yesterday. This is Charms, and I will be your Charms instructor for the rest of your time here. My name is Professor Shoichet. I have a list with all of your names, but I'd like to put names to faces, so if you could all go around the room and tell me who you are and your house, that would be excellent. No need to stand, just be loud and clear. And ten points to the house of anyone who can tell me what a charm is while they're at it, alright? The tall blonde woman sat rather casually on the desk, long legs easily touching the floor, as she went down the list with her wand, looking up at the sound of each student's voice.

OOC:
Username

I don't know, I can't contain my heartbeat-
I am dancing, shrouded by green trees!
I am whirling, wearing my sun feet;
And humming children to sleep.
I love to watch the light you spread to the room...
See how it dances from you to me to you.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Mood: Ready to go but nervous
Companions: other first years and Professor Shoichet
Thoughts: wait I read that before, didn't I?

User Image

════════════════════════
I keep falling down, I keep on hitting the ground
I always get up now to see what's next
Birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Hikaru came in the the classroom right after eating breakfast in the great hall. He made sure to have a good breakfast so he wouldn't be sleepy. he was one of the first few to arrive so he got to choose his spot at the far front corner of the classroom. He read the board to see what he would need to know right away. everyone else made their way in and they began class. The teacher ask them to introduce themselves and a chance to earn house points. "My name is Hikaru, I'm in Ravenclaw" He started "And a charm is a spell that changes certain things of something?" He said sounding like he was hoping he was right.

I won't give up, no I won't give in
'Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail

════════════════════════

Ooc:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:25 pm
User Image
User Image

Oh, I don't know what you've been told
But this gal right here's gonna rule the world
Yeah, that is where I'm gonna be, because I wanna be
No, I don't wanna sit still, look pretty

Mood:
Companions:
Thoughts:

════════════════════════

Jillian came in finishing off a blueberry muffin and dusted off her robe before finding her seat behind the boy from the train who later introduced himself as Hikaru. When it was her turn to introduce herself she did so eagerly. "I'm Jillian and I'm in Gryffindor! And for what a charm is...." She said trailing off for a second not really sure how to answer it. "...What he said!" She said pointing to Hikaru. She hadn't really touched her book till classes had started, now she felt like she should have.

════════════════════════

OoC:

I know the other girlies
Wanna wear expensive things
Like diamond rings
But I don't wanna be the puppet
That you're playing on a string
This queen don't need a king

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

MsKiwiness

Demonic Divorcee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Kungfudemoness

Put Name here

Put Name here

Put Name here

A bright mind and a brighter smile.
Better be...
Hufflepuff!

User Image
Wearing: Hufflepuff Cutiness/ Thinking: First class of the year /With: First years

Lauretta floated into class all ready for her first Charms of the year. She spotted her friend Hikaru and decided she would sit next to him for the class. "Hello Hikaru, can I sit with you for the class?" Lauretta smiled and turned a little red. The professor asked the class to introduce themselves to earn house points. "I'm Lauretta and I'm in Hufflepuff," Lauretta said to the professor. "A charm is something that cam be used in a every day wizard or witch household." Lauretta guessed that answer.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:51 pm
User ImageUser Image
Julius Devereux
First YearSlytherin
Family Heir

Location : Charms - Tuesday @ 8:00am

Julius had already made it through one day of classes. History was okay and Astronomy was just plain boring. It was early but like the day before the Slytherin was up and ready to go the moment the sun came up. Making his way up to his Charms classroom, Julius walked in and found himself a seat away from anyone he thought might be unpleasant (or rather undesirable). He saw all the stuff written on the board and found himself scanning it. What was Charms? ‘Everyone should know that.’ He thought to himself but remained silent.

As his Charms professor spoke, Julius folded his arms on the desk. As Professor Shoichet’s asked for their names, he waited his turn politely. “Julius Devereux, Slytherin. Charms are used to change or add to an existing object. This differs from transfigurations due to the fact you aren’t changing what the object actually is.” He spoke as if he should have been a Ravenclaw. Julius wasn’t afraid to speak up.

With : Class...

Attire : Slytherin Uniform

OCC : - - -

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Mood: Ready to go
Companions: other first years and Professor Shoichet
Thoughts: yay Lauretta!

User Image

════════════════════════

"yea totally!" He said happy his friend could sit with him. It was awesome that they got classes together. They could help each other on homework and even just hang. "i think your answer was better than mine" he whispered to her so they wouldn't disturb the class.

════════════════════════

Ooc:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:38 pm
I thought of angels,
Choking on their halos-
Get them drunk on rose water;
See how dirty I can get them.
Pulling out their fragile teeth;
And clip their tiny wings!

T R E V A
A N N E S T
W A R L O W

slytherin │ first year │ halfblood

Treva slunk into Charms unabashedly late, rolling her eyes as an equally late Hufflepuff rushed by her to get to a seat. "I'm whoever you haven't checked off yet," she informed the professor, yawning, and was coolly nodded towards a seat for her complete lack of remorse. She did not look like she'd been wandering around lost for ages; she was still chewing on something as she took her seat. "Treva Warlow," the Slytherin mumbled around the last bit of toast in her mouth when the very young professor gave her another look. Treva swallowed her breakfast and was pleased to discover that they didn't seem to be doing much of anything- Charms was notoriously easy, so she didn't foresee any real issues with the class.

OOC:
Username

Letting people down is my thing-
Baby, find yourself a new gig!
This town ain't big enough for two of us.
I don't have the right name;
Or the right looks...
But I have twice the heart.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:51 pm
If you listen just right, you can almost hear it;
The symphony of secrecy, life, and fear...
The search for love, but finding fear-
Like a moth to the flame we become helpless,
To the beautiful ghost that true love sheds.

𝚕𝚢𝚍𝚒𝚊
𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚎
𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛

muggleborn │ first year │ hufflepuff

Liddie was horrifically late to Charms, to her mortification. She'd gotten turned around, twice, and the bell had long since rung by the time she rushed in and took a seat, hardly daring to glance the way of the teacher. She might not have been particularly eager to get to class, but her parents had always said the early was on time, and on time was late. Punctuality was important; it showed you were considerate of other's time. "Lydia Spencer, Hufflepuff," the strawberry-blonde murmured in embarrassment, and having no idea what a charm was, beyond something worn on a bracelet, kept mum.

OOC:
Username

We all are running our very own races,
Set upon the most dangerous of places.
We are left with a void in our chests we're aching to fill...
The doves come to gather our every need; they lift them up-
To Heaven through the mouths from which we speak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:25 pm

E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Thus far, the class was perfectly polite, and seemingly eager to learn, with the exception of maybe the two whispering to one another, and one of the girls who had come in late, who reminded her very much of Morven a decade ago. Elsie had no desire to come off as overly strict right off the bat, and decided she'd let the whispers, which seemed to have died down, and the lateness go un-commented on. It was only their second day of classes, after all, and they were only eleven. "Ten points to Slytherin for your very detailed answer, Julius," she said with a smile. "And five points each to Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff for good guesses, Hikaru, Lauretta. Simply put, a charm adds certain properties to an object or creature that were not there before. For example, a heating charm would warm up a room- the object is the room, the property the added warmth. Many of you, especially those who have grown up around magic, may be under the impression that charms are rather simple spells generally used for housework and such, and quite easy to cast."

Her tone was a bit dry, although her voice remained as calm as ever. "While it's true that there are plenty of very straightforward charms, I want to warn you all now that taking any particular branch of magic as simplistic or 'fluff' can be a very big mistake. Charms gone wrong are every bit as dangerous as any other spell. You would not want a fire-casting charm to backfire on you, or a shield charm to fail in the midst of defending yourself. There are some incredibly powerful and dangerous charms out there, and it would not bode well for any capable witch or wizard to take them too lightly." She stepped up to the board, a piece of chalk in hand, and wrote CONCENTRATION, WAND MOVEMENT, PRONUNCIATION, VISUALIZATION underneath WHAT IS A CHARM?, then turned back round to face the students. "Those are what are required to successfully cast a charm. We will not be performing any charmwork in this class until you are confident enough in those four aspects to do so, and I am confident enough in your abilities to trust you. You will be learning those four essentials for homework in the first chapter of your textbook. I would advise you not to blow it off, or you will not participate in any spell-casting next class. Any questions?"

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Slytherin Lord

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:45 pm
Anna Adair
Hogwarts Student
Slytherin

Anna came in late and raced to an empty set. Not that she cared about class. She quickly pulled out her supplies and set them on the table as she heard the teacher talking about charms and how dangerous they were. Anna just sat quietly and questioned why she even showed up. She saw the teacher turn around to face the class and mention about the homework. How can I even do homework when I can't even show up on time? She thought but wouldn't let her expression she that. She sat stone faced.

OOC: ---

=Text
=Speech
=Thoughts  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:09 pm

E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie was thrilled to be teaching the first years their first official charm today; she was glad she didn't teach a subject that was all lecture, like History of Magic. She wanted to be able to actually see them learning. Once they'd taken their seats and she was done taking attendance, she rose from her desk. "Good morning everyone! Today you will be learning about, and attempting, your very first charm." She nodded to the board behind her, where Wingardium Leviosa was written in neat cursive.

"Before we begin the lesson, let's briefly go over the homework assignment- you should have read up on the four essentials of casting a charm successfully." Textbook in hand, she walked up and down between the desks as she went over the reading. "First, you must focus on your objective when casting any spell. If you are distracted or not paying proper attention to your target, the spell will either fail entirely, backfire onto you, or give you less than stellar results. This is especially important in stressful situations, such as when you are defending yourself or trying to help someone. Second, your wand movements must be precise. Charms is a delicate branch of magic. Many charms will not function properly if the wand was flicked or swirled wildly. Thirdly, you must stress syllables properly. Not pronouncing a charm correctly or slurring or stammering the words is one of the most common reasons for a charm to fail. Finally, visualization, not to be confused with concentration. Technically, you can cast a charm without visualizing it, but it certainly helps to have an idea of what you want to achieve. See it to believe it, to speak," she laughed, and then snapped the book shut, approaching the board once more.

"Right then, if you are all prepared, let's go over the levitation charm, which is what we will be learning today." Chalk in hand, she started to write the charm's definition and lecture simultaneously. "Please take notes, everyone, it will help with your out of class practicing. Simply put, the levitation charm can be used to levitate any object, including, with enough practice and skill, things that a human being would never have the strength to lift on their own, such as heavy furniture, downed trees, vehicles, and so on. The object levitated can be lifted as high as the caster is able to see. The only thing the charm cannot lift is humans- it only effects the clothing worn."

The blonde turned to face the students with a small smile as she recounted the charm's history. "It was created in the sixteenth century by a wizard named Jarleth Hobart, whose goal was to attempt human flight. He failed, and broke sixteen bones for his trouble- as well as a penalty for 'Extraordinary Stupidity' from the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. However, the charm survived his embarrassment, and is one of the most common, well-known charms in the wizarding world."

Turning back to the board, Elsie sketched the wand movement of the spell:

User Image

"The pronunciation is as follows; Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa. The incantation essentially means, 'lift up high'. Now, if everyone feels ready, please come up and take a feather from this box on my desk." She indicated the box, containing various feathers of all shapes, sizes, and colors, sitting on the desk beside her.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Mood: neutral
Companions: first years
Thoughts: ok feather fly for me

User Image

═══Ravenclaw═Keeper════

Hikaru came into class and made sure to save his seat for Lauretta. The class started with some note taking. He took as much notes as he could write. He took the most careful notes on the wand movement and pronunciation. once it was time he went and got his feather and made his way back to his desk. While most seemed to go straight into trying with wand and say it. He practiced first with just his wand but no word to try and get the movement down and then went to practice the wording. Once he felt he had those down he decided to go for it. The first try he was nervous and almost got it. His feather did move but ended up off the table. He went around his desk to pick it up. Determined to get it right this time, he tried saying with confidence this time. The feather responded much more favorably this time though it only wand a foot or two before it faltered again. He keep trying to do it and keep it airborne.

═══════════════════════

Ooc:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:06 pm
User Image
User Image

Oh, I don't know what you've been told
But this gal right here's gonna rule the world
Yeah, that is where I'm gonna be, because I wanna be
No, I don't wanna sit still, look pretty

Mood:
Companions:
Thoughts:

═════Reserve════Beater═════

Jillian came in eager to try a charm this time. She eagerly took notes and drew a tiny diagram for wand movement, muttering to herself the pronunciation as they learned. When it came time to practice Jillian was one of the first to get her feather. She half jogged back to her desk where she promptly started with the charm. She tried the charm and her feather did nothing. marginally annoyed she tried again. This time the feather twitched and perhaps went up an inch. This continued a few more times before she was getting annoyed with her feather. This time she said it with authority and that feather better listen to her. It lisiten all right except the charm picked up on her annoyance and it flated much too quickly and got stuck on the chandelier. "Uh oh..." She said looking up at it unsure if the spell could help her get it down.

════════════════════════

OoC:

I know the other girlies
Wanna wear expensive things
Like diamond rings
But I don't wanna be the puppet
That you're playing on a string
This queen don't need a king

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:04 pm
User ImageUser Image
Julius Devereux
First YearSlytherin
Family Heir

Location : Charms - Tuesday @ 8:00am

Julius was happy to have gotten points for his detailed answer. If he kept this up he might actually prove he was a valued member of his house. He’d made sure to read the first chapter again before class the following week. To his worst nightmare he was late for class. After last week he wasn’t happy about it. Slipping into a seat quietly he didn’t want to interrupt class. They were covering their first charm and he was not off to a good start.

Luckily they were just going over the homework when Julius walked in which he had read. Having made notes off the reading he more or less just listened. He added anything that wasn’t already in his notes if necessary of course. Julius started taking more detailed notes when they got into the levitation charm. Finishing up his notes Julius looked to his wand. ‘Wingardium Leviosa. Wing-GAR-dee-um levi-O-sa.’ He thought before trying the swish and flick movement with his wand. Working on that for a few moments, Julius got up and grabbed a black feather.

Now with his feather Julius took his wand in his hand. Looking to the feather he took a breath. “Wingardium Leviosa.” He said with a swish and flick of his wand. Gently moving his wand the feather began to float up into the air. A small smile appeared on his features. The Slytherin didn’t except Charms to be his thing but maybe they were. You never know.

Status : Late but making up for it.
                                                  With : Class...

Attire : Slytherin Uniform

OCC : - - -

First Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out