Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Charms III ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
Hold me close enough to breathe me in...
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-
Of the night in which we lay beside.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

BLOOD TRAITORFORMER HUFFLEPUFFCHARMS PROFESSOR

Elsie was busy arranging a series of common household items on a series of borrowed music stands from the Music Room when the third years entered the room. As they were seating themselves she hurriedly took attendance and summoned the homework with a wave of her wand. Carpe retractum, she had to admit, was not the most intriguing charm to study, given its similarity to accio, but it was important.

The blonde witch turned to the board, writing out CARPE RETRACTUM - SEIZE AND PULL CHARM, as she began to lecture. "Notes out everyone; today we're going to go over the seize and pull charm, which creates what is essentially a magic rope with which to grab objects out of reach, particularly ones it might be risky to use a summoning charm on. It's rumored to have been created by a family of height-challenged shopkeepers, to help them stock goods. This charm can also pull the caster towards the object. This spell does take strength into account- the brawnier among us will have a far easier time pulling heavy objects towards themselves. This is why it is crucial to lean back slightly when casting the spell, so your body weight can help you pull."

"The light from this spell when performed correctly ought to be goldish or orange, and in some cases more purple tinged. There is no exact wand movement, but the wand should be moved as if cracking a whip. KAHR-pay ruh-TRACK-tum- in other words, 'seize the remote object'." Elsie gestured to the items set up. "I'd like you all to move your desks aside and practice on these, moving back a foot or two after every successful cast. Go slowly- I don't want anyone losing control of the charm and whacking someone in the face." She stepped aside to let them get to it.

OOC:
Username

I held every inch of you...
I wrote every line for you...
I made time when time was all but gone.
You’re the love I’ve always known-
The night’s so dark and grey;
But you’ve helped me find my way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie had laid out a different colored plate or bowl on each student's desk as they took their seats. "Today we'll be learning the colour change charm," she greeted them with a smile. "It's very simple, and all it does is shift the color of any object or animal. So yes, you could turn your owl or cat green, or blue, but I doubt they'd like that very much. And no, you should not be attempting this on yourselves- it is not a substitute for makeup or hair dye," she warned, resisting the urge to roll her eyes a little. Teenagers could be so lazy. "All you need to do is point your wand at the target and say, co-loh-VA-ree-uh clearly. The light of the charm should be red. Like so, colovaria!" she demonstrated, turning the blackboard buttery yellow before switching it back.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie could hardly believe it was already Thursday; the week seemed to have flown by. And seeing as it was her last class of the day, she was a bit more relaxed than she might otherwise be. She glanced back at the massive chalkboard behind her; in one corner the class rules were neatly outlined; in another the homework assignment, in yet another the supply list, and in the final corner, a doodle that looked like it had been scrawled by a student and smudged over. When students began to make their way into the room, some more lively than others, she stood up to face the class. "Good afternoon everyone," the blonde woman said cheerfully. "Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts; I imagine you're all much busier this year than you've ever been before, with all the electives to choose from. Names and houses, please, no worries about standing up. I should know all of you already, but let's make sure we're all here. If you thought a charm you learned last year was particularly useful, do let me know- if you hated all of them and are now permanently holding a grudge against this subject.... well, I'll see if I can change your mind this year." Elsie grinned, then turned to her list of students when the introductions began, determined to keep track of who was who.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:38 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie felt a bit more sober about this class, given the fact that this lesson centered on the cheering charm, and the potential for misuse with that particular charm was quite high, compared to some other seemingly-innocent spells. It wasn't that she suspected any sinister motives among her students, but she did want them to take this seriously. However, she admitted to herself, the dummy with a frowning face drawn on it in the front of the classroom was probably going to make it a little hard.

After the students had taken their seats, she quickly took attendance, and then stepped over to the board, where Exhilaro was written in elegant cursive. "Good afternoon, class. Today we will be learning and attempting the Cheering Charm, otherwise known as Exhilaro." She turned to the blackboard, writing down the definition of the charm in chalk. "The cheering charm has one purpose and one purpose only; to make the charmed individual happy. It was invented by a wizard by the name of Felix Summerbee in the 1400s, who many assume to have been a court jester of some sort."

The blonde professor turned back to the students, blue eyes narrowed slightly. She wanted to be absolutely straight forward with them all; they weren't first or second years to be coddled anymore."However, when misused or overdone, it is known to induce fits of hysterical laughter, and prolonged hysteria, as I'm sure you all can surmise, is not in any way beneficial or healthy for the human mind and body, as amusing as it may seem at first. This charm should only be used in situations in which it is deemed absolutely necessary. To help the grieving, for example, or to calm extreme anxiety, as it leaves one feeling very calm and content. It is not a replacement for mind healing. A charm is not a substitute for say, muggle medication. The effects of this charm wear off over time, and the more one is exposed to it, the more resistant to its effects one becomes. I want the word of everyone in this class that they will never perform this charm on someone else unless it is called for, and never without the permission of the person it's to be cast on. I hope I've made myself clear."

Elsie waited to see some nods and assents, before lightening a little and nodding to the dummy beside her. "This is Frank. It's up to you to turn his mood around. One by one, please- don't worry about wand movement, simply point, and repeat after me, ex-ILL-ar-oh."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:51 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie was busy arranging a series of common household items on a series of borrowed music stands from the Music Room when the third years entered the room. As they were seating themselves she hurriedly took attendance and summoned the homework with a wave of her wand. Carpe retractum, she had to admit, was not the most intriguing charm to study, given its similarity to accio, but it was important.

The blonde witch turned to the board, writing out CARPE RETRACTUM - SEIZE AND PULL CHARM, as she began to lecture. "Notes out everyone; today we're going to go over the seize and pull charm, which creates what is essentially a magic rope with which to grab objects out of reach, particularly ones it might be risky to use a summoning charm on. It's rumored to have been created by a family of height-challenged shopkeepers, to help them stock goods. This charm can also pull the caster towards the object. This spell does take strength into account- the brawnier among us will have a far easier time pulling heavy objects towards themselves. This is why it is crucial to lean back slightly when casting the spell, so your body weight can help you pull."

"The light from this spell when performed correctly ought to be goldish or orange, and in some cases more purple tinged. There is no exact wand movement, but the wand should be moved as if cracking a whip. KAHR-pay ruh-TRACK-tum- in other words, 'seize the remote object'." Elsie gestured to the items set up. "I'd like you all to move your desks aside and practice on these, moving back a foot or two after every successful cast. Go slowly- I don't want anyone losing control of the charm and whacking someone in the face." She stepped aside to let them get to it.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie could hardly believe it was already Thursday; the week seemed to have flown by. And seeing as it was her last class of the day, she was a bit more relaxed than she might otherwise be. She glanced back at the massive chalkboard behind her; in one corner the class rules were neatly outlined; in another the homework assignment, in yet another the supply list, and in the final corner, a doodle that looked like it had been scrawled by a student and smudged over. When students began to make their way into the room, some more lively than others, she stood up to face the class.

"Good afternoon everyone," the blonde woman said cheerfully. "Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts; I imagine you're all much busier this year than you've ever been before, with all the electives to choose from. Names and houses, please, no worries about standing up. I should know all of you already, but let's make sure we're all here. If you thought a charm you learned last year was particularly useful, do let me know- if you hated all of them and are now permanently holding a grudge against this subject.... well, I'll see if I can change your mind this year." Elsie grinned, then turned to her list of students when the introductions began, determined to keep track of who was who.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 am
✠ Quinn Ezekiel Conri-Dechering ✠ xxxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxx <3rd Year>
Time: 2042-2043
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Quinn sincerely enjoyed Charms class and found he had a bit of a knack for the spellwork. He was not sure if it was an inherited gift or just luck, but he refused to credit his father (or his mother) if he got the OWL in 5th year that he planned to get. No, he would likely credit his studying and having an excellent professor such as Professor Shoichet, who quite frankly he had seen more in the past two years more than either of his parents. Taking a seat near front he smiled at Professor Shoichet's welcome and joke towards hating all of charms and holding a grudge against the subject. Quinn couldn't imagine if that was the case as charms was a particularly useful subject. When it came to his turn to introduce himself he smiled and said, "Quinn Conri-Dechering of Ravenclaw. And I found Scourgify to be probably one of the most useful charms we learned last year. It's nice to be able to clean without just using elbow grease all the time."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                    Ah, such concern for your dear sister
                                    A quiet, thoughtful mind, hm?
                                    Yes, I know just where to put you,

Ravenclaw!
                                    {OoC: }
                                    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 am
❁ Mary Fidelma Conri-Dechering ❁ xxxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxx <3rd Year> <"American Girl" and Georgia Peach>
Time: 2042-2043
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Mary had always been determined to do especially well in Charms as that was her father's subject as a professor when he met her mom. Mary felt that just maybe if she did perfect in Charms and was good at Quidditch that she might make her father proud. She desperately wanted to be someone that her parents (specifically her father) could brag about. Besides her drive to do well to impress her father, it was also always stressed by their grandmama and even Aunt Sophie the importance of academics.

Mary took a seat a few down from her brother and nodded towards him and gave him an enthusiastic wave before gathering her things to start class. Professor Shoichet started with introductions and a bit of review. Mary smiled largely when it came to her turn and she said energetically, "Mary Conri-Dechering of Hufflepuff here and accounted for! As for the most useful spell I have to say all of them were useful but I kind of agree with Quinn about Scourgify, but I also liked Arresto Momentum as it makes flying a little less scary knowing you can slow your momentum if you are quick."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                                  My dear, I wager your father will be proud of you regardless
                                                  You need to forge your own path
                                                  And I think you'll be doing just that in

Hufflepuff!
                                                  {OoC: }
                                                  Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:05 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffThird YearThirteen Years OldSingle

Katya was feeling pretty good today, and with good reason. She had one more class after this, and she had a three-day weekend ahead of her. She could have all of her homework polished off on Friday, study ahead if she wanted to, and still have all weekend to do her clubs and have fun. The little Third Year sat down with her friends, Mary and Quinn, and had her notes out ready to start when the professor started her class. After the twins spoke, she raised her hand, and said, "Katya Patrovna, from Hufflepuff House. I liked Scourgify and Arresto Momentum too, but Diffindo is useful too, especially if you want to cut something without burning it."

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Black clouds are behind me, I now can see ahead
                  Often I wonder why I try hoping for an end
                  Sorrow weighs my shoulders down
                  And trouble haunts my mind
                  But I know the present will not last
                  And tomorrow will be kinder

Tomorrow will be kinder
                  It's true, I've seen it before
                  A brighter day is coming my way"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:41 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie felt a bit more sober about this class, given the fact that this lesson centered on the cheering charm, and the potential for misuse with that particular charm was quite high, compared to some other seemingly-innocent spells. It wasn't that she suspected any sinister motives among her students, but she did want them to take this seriously. However, she admitted to herself, the dummy with a frowning face drawn on it in the front of the classroom was probably going to make it a little hard.

After the students had taken their seats, she quickly took attendance, and then stepped over to the board, where Exhilaro was written in elegant cursive. "Good afternoon, class. Today we will be learning and attempting the Cheering Charm, otherwise known as Exhilaro." She turned to the blackboard, writing down the definition of the charm in chalk. "The cheering charm has one purpose and one purpose only; to make the charmed individual happy. It was invented by a wizard by the name of Felix Summerbee in the 1400s, who many assume to have been a court jester of some sort."

The blonde professor turned back to the students, blue eyes narrowed slightly. She wanted to be absolutely straight forward with them all; they weren't first or second years to be coddled anymore."However, when misused or overdone, it is known to induce fits of hysterical laughter, and prolonged hysteria, as I'm sure you all can surmise, is not in any way beneficial or healthy for the human mind and body, as amusing as it may seem at first. This charm should only be used in situations in which it is deemed absolutely necessary. To help the grieving, for example, or to calm extreme anxiety, as it leaves one feeling very calm and content. It is not a replacement for mind healing. A charm is not a substitute for say, muggle medication. The effects of this charm wear off over time, and the more one is exposed to it, the more resistant to its effects one becomes. I want the word of everyone in this class that they will never perform this charm on someone else unless it is called for, and never without the permission of the person it's to be cast on. I hope I've made myself clear."

Elsie waited to see some nods and assents, before lightening a little and nodding to the dummy beside her. "This is Frank. It's up to you to turn his mood around. One by one, please- don't worry about wand movement, simply point, and repeat after me, ex-ILL-ar-oh."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna

With one more class after Charms to get through, and then her three day weekend would begin, Katya couldn't help but be in positive spirits. She could spend Friday knocking out her homework and the rest of the weekend doing her clubs and just goofing off and sleeping in, if that was what she wanted to do. So, it was a little difficult to focus on her Charms class, though she made the effort to be attentive, rather than daydream about what she'd do with her free time.

The idea of a Cheering Charm was a nice thought, at least in principle, until she realized it was only magic and not the real thing. Yeah, she could make someone feel better for a short time, but it wouldn't be real. Worse, the more one became dependent upon it, the more they would need to have it cast. There's no good which could come of that, at least not that she could see. Promising Professor Shoichet not to use the charm on an unwilling subject was an easy decision for Katya.

All of that philosophizing aside, Katya was happy to volunteer to be the first to make Frank's frown turn upside down. Just because she was shy and retiring didn't mean she wasn't willing to participate in class.

OOC:
Username

User Image

Tomorrow will be kinder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 pm
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie had laid out a different colored plate or bowl on each student's desk as they took their seats. "Today we'll be learning the colour change charm," she greeted them with a smile. "It's very simple, and all it does is shift the color of any object or animal. So yes, you could turn your owl or cat green, or blue, but I doubt they'd like that very much. And no, you should not be attempting this on yourselves- it is not a substitute for makeup or hair dye," she warned, resisting the urge to roll her eyes a little. Teenagers could be so lazy. "All you need to do is point your wand at the target and say, co-loh-VA-ree-uh clearly. The light of the charm should be red. Like so, colovaria!" she demonstrated, turning the blackboard buttery yellow before switching it back.

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:07 am
User Image
Katya Patrovna

Katya was in a happy mood when she came to class, as she was on the cusp of another long weekend. She'd been using her free time well, working on Art projects, and even studying ahead and getting homework done. All she needed to do was get through her last class of the week for the festivities to begin, and she rather liked Professor Shoichet's Charms class.

She couldn't help giggling at the idea of turning her cat green, not that she would, a green 'Snezhok' just didn't make sense, and she was pretty sure her little friend would freak out and hide under her bed. Katya also found the idea of using a Charm to dye her hair amusing as well, and got her thoughts wandering as to what she might do with her hair if she were to want a change.

When the demonstration was done, the little Hufflepuff picked up a bowl, and started practicing the incantation a few times before giving a try with her wand. "Colovaria!" she said in a clear voice, and she saw a flash of red light at the tip of her wand. The bowl she targeted with the spell obliging turned a nice shade of robin's egg blue. With a happy smile, Katya started to experiment again, and it got her wondering what else she could do with the spell.

OOC:
Username

User Image

Tomorrow will be kinder

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 am
Build me up from bones;
Wrap me up in skin.
The moon’s a fingernail,
Scratching on the back-

User Image
E L S B E T H
L Y N W E N
S H O I C H E T

Elsie could hardly believe it was already Thursday; the week seemed to have flown by. And seeing as it was her last class of the day, she was a bit more relaxed than she might otherwise be. She glanced back at the massive chalkboard behind her; in one corner the class rules were neatly outlined; in another the homework assignment, in yet another the supply list, and in the final corner, a doodle that looked like it had been scrawled by a student and smudged over. When students began to make their way into the room, some more lively than others, she stood up to face the class. "Good afternoon everyone," the blonde woman said cheerfully. "Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts; I imagine you're all much busier this year than you've ever been before, with all the electives to choose from. Names and houses, please, no worries about standing up. I should know all of you already, but let's make sure we're all here. If you thought a charm you learned last year was particularly useful, do let me know- if you hated all of them and are now permanently holding a grudge against this subject.... well, I'll see if I can change your mind this year." Elsie grinned, then turned to her list of students when the introductions began, determined to keep track of who was who.

OOC:
Username

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff