Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
Some questions about Christianity

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:57 pm
I asked these questions in the CB. Want to give it a try answering them?

A. What is the difference between Catholics and Protestants?

B. What is the difference between a Mormon and a Protestant?

C. What is the difference in between how a Jehovah's witness would view Jesus and how a protestant would view Jesus?

D. What do Christians think about the future?

E. What is the spirit of Antichrist?

F. Does there exist any corroborating evidence for Christianity outside of the Bible?

G. What does it mean to be a Christian?

H. What is the Gospel?

I. How do you become a Christian?

J. Why do Christians think certain behaviors are sin?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:02 am

Many differences: Catholics hold to church tradition in addition to Scripture whereas Protestants hold to sola scriptura et sola fide.

Mormons have a 'Book of Mormon' by Joseph Smith which isn't held as cannon by any other Christian denominations.

C. What is the difference in between how a Jehovah's witness would view Jesus and how a protestant would view Jesus?

I don't know much about the difference besides JW's don't believe in Trinity. But they still believe Jesus is Messiah as Protestants do? I think.

It is contained within God's ultimate plan for humanity and involves judgement as well as renewal.

Things that are counter to Christ. The spirit of hate, unbelief etc. Could also be a belief system or world leader depending on interpretation.

F. Does there exist any corroborating evidence for Christianity outside of the Bible?

Jewish history was preserved through oral tradition and the Old Testament events have been verified by archeology on many occasions. New Testament places, leaders, events are also corroborated by non-Christian historians around the 1st and 2nd centuries. The most important fact is that Jesus' physical body is gone, there was never any decaying corpse as He is risen and His tomb is empty.

To believe and affirm God's plan and Jesus' Messianic nature. To follow His plan for our lives and live for others rather than ourselves.

H. What is the Gospel?

The Good News of Jesus' resurrection, His story and message.

Believing and accepting Jesus in your heart and vowing to live apart from sin.

Because in the eyes of God, they are viewed as immoral.  

Lady Vizsla

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:52 am
CBer

Protestant gives Scriptures more authority than tradition while the Church gives tradition and the Scriptures equally.

Never heard of a Mormon before.

I thought they are the same.

Even though they died, they would be brought up to heaven or be saved in the Last Judgement.

I didn't know they have a spirit thing. I only heard that they worshiped Satan.

Charities I guess. They do try to help people. Like in the Golden Rule: "Love thy neighbour as yourself."

It means that you accepted that Jesus is the saviour.

H. What is the Gospel?
It is the teachings after Jesus died twenty years after. They had to pass it on through oral tradition until they wrote it down. They used the Gospel to teach other people about Jesus.

Through baptism.

Ex: Abortion and Euthanasia
They think these are sins because God gave the gift of life. Even in the Ten Commandments it says: "Thou shall not commit murder." If you did those things that means that you are killing the person that could not be intended in God's plan.

I hope I can do it as best as I can. I'm studying philosophy and world religions in Highschool. :3 It's pretty interesting to learn these things.

Does any of these answers surprise you? What would you have written differently?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 am
Another CBer
Protestants believe the bible is the only source from God, Catholics don't.

Mormons believe in more practices taught by Jesus Christ.

I know nothing about Jehovah's Witnesses lol

Depends on the branch probably. According to the bible, Jesus should come again.

The opposite of Jesus? Bringer of bad.

Personally I think Jesus was a real historical figure.

Love thyself, your neighbor and god.

H. What is the Gospel?
Music?

Accept Jesus in your heart.

Morals probably.

Just being honest. I'm an Atheist, but i was raised as a Catholic. So I know some stuff about Christianity.

How could/would you use answers like this to point someone to Jesus?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:01 am
A Third CBer

Quote:
The difference is that with Catholicism, they took a little or possibly a lot from the mysticism Christianity had before the Councils of Trent and Nicea. Catholicism in of itself tends to be more hands on when it comes it's belief, meaning you have to go out and do instead of just believe. It's a weird orthodoxic/orthopraxic kind of thing.

Protestantism came out of Martin Luther dissent with the Catholic Church which paved way for the Protestant Reformation, which gave birth to the Protestant Church and also marked the second time there's been a division in the Mother Church. The first being Orthodoxic Christianity. At any rate, Protestantism seems to remove a lot of the mysticism, the intercession of the pope/holy figure among other things.

B. What is the difference between a Mormon and a Protestant? Two words: Joseph. Smith. Yeah. Unlike Martin Luther who had a problem with with the Catholic Church, Joseph Smith thought that the angel Moroni came down from Heaven and spoke to him, telling him to go west and create his own religion.

The Temples are also really beautiful and very well kept with a lot of flowers and trees. (The Temple in Gilbert, AZ isn't far from me. It's a pretty site to look at.)

C. What is the difference in between how a Jehovah's witness would view Jesus and how a protestant would view Jesus? I haven't dealt with JWs that much.

But they view him as the Son of God, and as the Messiah. Some Protestants believe that he is the Son of God.

D. What do Christians think about the future? Depends on which Christians you ask. Some think Jesus is going to come. Some think it's the end of the World. Some think they'll go to heaven. Some don't care.

E. What is the spirit of Antichrist? The opposite of Jesus.

F. Does there exist any corroborating evidence for Christianity outside of the Bible? Depends on who you ask. Historically I believe there was a man named Yeshua (Jesus) who was a carpenter, and was a reform Rabbai. He saw what the Pharisees did and disliked them and tried to change it.

G. What does it mean to be a Christian? To be like Christ. To follow Christ.

H. What is the Gospel? The Gospel Truth. Okay really bad Hercules joke. It's the message that was sent to us from God.

I. How do you become a Christian? Accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. That's really the only way. Every denomination has a different way of getting into their special club, by doing rituals or other weird things like special handshakes, but really all you have to do to be considered Christian is by accepting Christ as your lord and savior. Everything else is merely a formality and optional.

I mean you don't need to fall into a denomination to be a Christian. You don't have to be say Catholic or Protestant or God what have you to believe that Jesus is your savior.

But if you go for a denomination you have to play by their rules. Like if you want to be Catholic for example you have to go through 4 of the 7 sacraments: Baptism (parents make the oath that you will be raised as a Catholic), Reconciliation (you reconile your sins through a priest in an open or closed confessional), Communion (you take part in the Euachrist, the ritual of taking in Jesus's body and blood (which are just tasteless communion wafers, wine or grape juice) and Confirmation (confirming your parents previous oaths, taking on another name and continuing on your path.) If you don't do the last step, the Vatican/Mother Church won't recognize you as a Catholic.

J. Why do Christians think certain behaviors are sin? Most don't do their own research and only go based on what others have told them. Or it descends form how the paleo-pagans thought that by doing certain things would piss off certain deities.

Not bad for a lapsed Catholic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:05 am
Anonymous

A. Protestants split from the Catholic Church after Martin Luther pointed out some bullshit in their beliefs. They differ on lots of little things, I'd have to do more research.

B. Mormons believe that America is the Holy Land, specifically like, Utah?? Again, more research.

C. Jehovah's Witnesses believe that God is the ONE God, not a triune being (Father Spirit Son.) They view Jesus as just another prophet, not the Messiah or son of God.

D. Things'll get dark and fall to s**t, and the Church will be raptured out of here, leaving the rest of us suckers behind.

E. Depends on your denomination. Either Lucifer or a fairytale meant to scare the naughty children.

F. Archeologists have found a number of other texts from the time (The Dead Sea Scrolls) among other things. (I remember something about Pontius Pilate and a tomb that could've been where Jesus rolled the stone away.)

G. To be a follower of Christ, and his teachings.

H. The first few books of the New Testament, which were accounts written by the Apostles, sharing Jesus's life and teachings.

I. Repenting of sins to follow what Jesus says is the way to live life.

J. They're under the impression that, because they're the Church, they have to follow the old covenant God cut with His people, the Jews, and adhere to the rules he gave them millennia ago, when it says in the New Testament that Jesus was making a New Covenant with the Church.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

That's my loose understanding anyway.

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:07 am

I know Catholics pray to Mary and Protestants pray to Jesus and God. Also, Catholics are extremely traditional and interpret the Bible very literally.

I don't think Mormons believe that Jesus was the one true Savior? Like they believed The Book of Mormon, written by their founder, is the real 'Bible'?

I think Jehovah's Witness focuses on the actions and lifestyle you live, while a protestant focuses the heart.

That one day Jesus will return to Earth the same way He left, take up the Christians for judgement, and that Earth will be destroyed with fire, sending Satan, his minions, and all the non-believers to either the Lake of Fire or hell

The spirit? I know that he will pretend to be Jesus and many will believe him, and that he will give those that deny the true Jesus the "mark of the beast"/"666".

Our consciences; the Holy Spirit; our explainable sense of what's right and wrong.

To be a Christian means to follow Christ, unconditionally loving all the people of the world even though Christians don't agree with their choices. To be a Christian does not mean to judge and exclude others that live lifestyles against the Bible. Contrarily, it means to reach out to them. Christians fight against the world, attempting to save others out of love. Christians are called to "live like Jesus," which is impossible because of human nature.

H. What is the Gospel?
The Gospel includes the first 4 books of the New Testament of the Bible, it tells of Jesus' journey to the cross and then heaven. It includes Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. The Gospel is the singular, most important part of the Bible.

Accept that you are a sinner, born into sin and completely hopeless without Jesus. Accept Jesus into your life, and repent of sin.

Because they believe the Bible is the absolute word of God; the Bible says certain behaviors are sin.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:10 am
X
Garland-Green
Just curious to see what the average Gaian know about Christianity.

H. What is the Gospel?

A. They hate each other.

B. No idea.

C. No idea.

D. God can tell you about the future.

E. Hitler right?

F. Yes.

G. Worshipping Christ.

H. The good news.

I. You can start by going to your denomination's church.

J. It's in the law.

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 am
b
A.What is the difference between Catholics and Protestants?

As far as I know, Catholics recognize The Pope as their spiritual leader and Catholics pray to saints. I know more about the history behind it than the theological difference.
I know that the schisms caused Europe's Wars of Religion, which shook the Holy Roman Empire to it's foundation.

I actually do not know.

sweatdrop

sweatdrop

Something to do with deception and how it's going to come in the guise as the real thing.

Yes, there is huge amounts of historical evidence saying that Christianity existed. I mean the Romans were pretty good on keeping records.

To accept Christ as your Savior, that he died on the cross for your sins, and honestly, it depends on the person.

H. What is the Gospel?

I believe it's the words of the Apostles and Jesus.

Just read the Bible and see if you like the message.

I believe that religion is the civilized man's way of controlling our more animalistic ways. Tribal societies use ritual to control their ways of life, religion is just another tool to help society. Although, like any tool it can be used for good or bad.

The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games