Reply OH MY GOD...[[Rant Forum]]
It's getting harder to....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

High_Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:34 am
Ride a bicycle anywhere in this town without running into those damned "Suicide Lanes." those special lanes where bicyclist are REQUIRED BY LAW to throw themselves into traffic to get themselves killed. Apparently, these foot powered contraptions that weigh maybe 5 pounds and can go about 10-12 mph in top gear count as motor vehicles, and are supposed to "Share the Road" with 500+ lb vehicles going anywhere from 35-55 mph, with nothing but a painted white line separating them.

Somebody please tell me what the HELL our state leaders were smoking that made them think is, or ever was, a good idea? I'm guessing we don't have random drug tests for elected officials, because the people who came up with this law would definitely fail. Big time.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:22 pm
High_Assassin
Ride a bicycle anywhere in this town without running into those damned "Suicide Lanes." those special lanes where bicyclist are REQUIRED BY LAW to throw themselves into traffic to get themselves killed. Apparently, these foot powered contraptions that weigh maybe 5 pounds and can go about 10-12 mph in top gear count as motor vehicles, and are supposed to "Share the Road" with 500+ lb vehicles going anywhere from 35-55 mph, with nothing but a painted white line separating them.

Somebody please tell me what the HELL our state leaders were smoking that made them think is, or ever was, a good idea? I'm guessing we don't have random drug tests for elected officials, because the people who came up with this law would definitely fail. Big time.

>->; You think they would think about that for bike lanes.  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

High_Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 pm
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin

Indeed, and this isn't the only state where it's happening. I know New York and California also have these laws, though the traffic congestion there is probably so bad I'd be surprised if the cars you're riding next to move more than about 5 mph. If they were going to do this, they should at least put a raised curb separating the bike lanes from the car lanes. That way a distracted driver can't just drift into an innocent bicyclist while they're busy changing the radio or something. stare

Seriously, though. Bicycles have NO business being in the road at all. The roads are meant for MOTOR vehicles, and bicycles are, if anything, pedestrian vehicles. They're driven entirely by foot power, after all. Why my city is spending so much money re-paving and re-painting roads just to add these death lanes is beyond me. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:54 pm
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin

Indeed, and this isn't the only state where it's happening. I know New York and California also have these laws, though the traffic congestion there is probably so bad I'd be surprised if the cars you're riding next to move more than about 5 mph. If they were going to do this, they should at least put a raised curb separating the bike lanes from the car lanes. That way a distracted driver can't just drift into an innocent bicyclist while they're busy changing the radio or something. stare

Seriously, though. Bicycles have NO business being in the road at all. The roads are meant for MOTOR vehicles, and bicycles are, if anything, pedestrian vehicles. They're driven entirely by foot power, after all. Why my city is spending so much money re-paving and re-painting roads just to add these death lanes is beyond me. rolleyes

They're doing that in my city too,like they have all these bike lanes around places that have heavy traffic.....=w=;
The drivers here have serious road rage and will flatten the person in front if they don't move fast enough....>->;  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

High_Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin

They're doing that in my city too,like they have all these bike lanes around places that have heavy traffic.....=w=;
The drivers here have serious road rage and will flatten the person in front if they don't move fast enough....>->;

Yes, that seems to be the case here in my city as well. I suppose this will continue till somebody files a wrongful death lawsuit against the State, claiming that it was this law that lead to the death of their loved one, and that this would never have happened if they were on the sidewalk where they belong. Until then, bicycles will continue to be seen as vehicles, and forced to use the road to get around even on super busy highways. I normally try to stick to backroads that don't even have a line down the middle, going through residential areas where there's little to no traffic. Or just ignore the law altogether and ride on the sidewalk anyway. I assume the worst that will happen is I'll get a ticket or something, which is a small price to pay for not having to risk my life every time I hit the road on two wheels. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Stupid lawmakers. stare  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:16 pm
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin

Yes, that seems to be the case here in my city as well. I suppose this will continue till somebody files a wrongful death lawsuit against the State, claiming that it was this law that lead to the death of their loved one, and that this would never have happened if they were on the sidewalk where they belong. Until then, bicycles will continue to be seen as vehicles, and forced to use the road to get around even on super busy highways. I normally try to stick to backroads that don't even have a line down the middle, going through residential areas where there's little to no traffic. Or just ignore the law altogether and ride on the sidewalk anyway. I assume the worst that will happen is I'll get a ticket or something, which is a small price to pay for not having to risk my life every time I hit the road on two wheels. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Stupid lawmakers. stare

I don't think I ever seen anyone get in trouble for using their bikes on the sidewalk.Do they even enforce that rule anywhere? o.o;

Have you ever tried riding your bike at a park?
Bloody mess there too..Dx  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

High_Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:36 pm
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira

I don't think I ever seen anyone get in trouble for using their bikes on the sidewalk.Do they even enforce that rule anywhere? o.o;

Never for that particular reason, though there was a huge scandal with police officers ticketing black people for "bicycle violations" at a disproportionate rate here in my city. And yes, I have ridden my bike in parks,but usually on weekdays, when most people are at work. I've tried riding down our newly completed Riverwalk last weekend, and I had to walk the bike half the way, because the crowds were too thick to actually ride through. I'm doing it again tomorrow, because I got to get to the park Early to stake out our pavilion for Thanksgiving dinner, which will be somewhere around 10:00 Am, since they don't allow you to reserve those things on Holidays. I'll let you know how it goes.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:04 pm
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira
High_Assassin
Yuki_Windira

Never for that particular reason, though there was a huge scandal with police officers ticketing black people for "bicycle violations" at a disproportionate rate here in my city. And yes, I have ridden my bike in parks,but usually on weekdays, when most people are at work. I've tried riding down our newly completed Riverwalk last weekend, and I had to walk the bike half the way, because the crowds were too thick to actually ride through. I'm doing it again tomorrow, because I got to get to the park Early to stake out our pavilion for Thanksgiving dinner, which will be somewhere around 10:00 Am, since they don't allow you to reserve those things on Holidays. I'll let you know how it goes.
ah.o.o;

Good luck on your stake out.:3  

Yuki_Windira

Crew

Spoopy Bibliophile

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:00 pm
High_Assassin

Hell do I relate!! I live in a tinyass town that's super dense in population, and were NOBODY knows how to drive, so unless you're on sidewalks you'd better be praying as you cross those streets. You'll be blessed to see a crosswalk. And we don't even have bike lanes for the most part! But if there are lanes, they're so thin that you're guaranteed to be hit by someone. To get into the main part of the town, you've got to ride your bike on the grass. To get to the library, they added back roads since there's no crosswalk on the main road, and the biking lane is far too thin.

I think it's crap that your state leaders require that unless they widen the lanes. That would reduce the risk significantly of danger, and make riders feel much more safe when biking. I hope something gets done about it in the future so you and others can be safer.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:42 pm
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard
High_Assassin
Apparently, these foot powered contraptions that weigh maybe 5 pounds and can go about 10-12 mph in top gear count as motor vehicles, and are supposed to "Share the Road" with 500+ lb vehicles going anywhere from 35-55 mph, with nothing but a painted white line separating them.

Hell do I relate!! I live in a tinyass town that's super dense in population, and were NOBODY knows how to drive, so unless you're on sidewalks you'd better be praying as you cross those streets. You'll be blessed to see a crosswalk. And we don't even have bike lanes for the most part! But if there are lanes, they're so thin that you're guaranteed to be hit by someone. To get into the main part of the town, you've got to ride your bike on the grass. To get to the library, they added back roads since there's no crosswalk on the main road, and the biking lane is far too thin.

I think it's crap that your state leaders require that unless they widen the lanes. That would reduce the risk significantly of danger, and make riders feel much more safe when biking. I hope something gets done about it in the future so you and others can be safer.

I wouldn't feel safer even if they did widen the lanes. As stated above, the only thing that separates bicyclist from traffic is a painted white line, while there is a raised curb on the right. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't "hop" a bicycle, at all, so if a car starts drifting into my lane, I'm sorta trapped. Now, if they would separate the bike lanes with a raised curb, I would feel somewhat safer, but there's no way in hell I'm trusting my life to people's ability to stay in their own lane while driving.

As for that Thanksgiving day ride, my bicycle got a mysterious flat the night before. Not a huge deal, since I've had many flat tires and have always replaced them without puncturing the new tube, which I happened to have on hand for just such an emergency. So I went to replace the tube, and punctured it while putting the tire back on. So I went through my spare parts collection, and found another tire still holding air. So I take that one off, put it on my bike, and again I puncture the tube while putting the tire back on. I must have done this exact same procedure dozens of times before, and NEVER had this problem. But on the ONE day I NEED my bike, it happens twice in a row. I get the distinct feeling the universe really didn't want me riding that day, because there's really no other explanation.

Long story short, I ended up having to bum a ride. It was a perfect day for riding too. 80 degrees F, 27 degrees C, clear blue skies, the works. But no, my bike is stuck at home with a flat tire. Easily fixed any other time, but not when I really need it. What do you wanna bet that as soon as the post Thanksgiving shopping spree settles down, I can go buy a new tube and replace it with no problem? stare  

High_Assassin

OH MY GOD...[[Rant Forum]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff