Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Hogsmeade
Magic Clip Hair Salon ~OPEN & HIRING~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:00 pm

User Image♥♡
SPARROW KIYA WINCHESTER

second year || Gryffindor || pureblood
Drama club || Music club || Quidditch reserve
Daily Dragon (fall year 1) || Art (spring year 1)

As Finley spoke, Sparrow listened and observed. She adjusted her own position, subtly mirroring the way he sat. Not maliciously, this was just an exercise she used to do in theatre. She watched his facial expressions, tried to understand the way her new friend felt, and bring that expression to her own face.

When Finley sighed and ran his hand through his hair in frustration, Sparrow spoke up again. She couldn’t quite place his accent anywhere, but slowed her usual cadence and energy to match his more relaxed--and maybe nervous--one. ”That’s...odd.” Chadwick was usually very polite on first impressions. But she kept that to herself as she worked her mind around how Finley saw Chadwick. He said he didn’t want to see her getting hurt--what a kind thing to say! Finley seemed to believe he knew Chadwick’s personality, but he also seemed unsure about that. Why? ”You... you said you two almost got into a fight? Did that happen today? How did you become...what did you say, uhm, aware of this personality?”

setting Magic Clips Hair Salon || with Finley and Wren
hair color foilhead! || wearing The most obnoxious article of black clothing Wren could find
status Getting into Finley-character

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
Baby, I'm sorry
I'm not exactly what you had in mind
But please don't leave
If you stay I promise I will change your mind
And is it too much to ask to just be wanted
To feel the love I feel for you return
♡♥
~"I'm not her" by Julia Brennan. Nightcore Cover.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:40 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx⇴ Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Magic Clips
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Dad, Wren, and Sparrow
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Coloration
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Why did she have to ask?

Finley shuffled a bit as Sparrow moved, feeling oddly like she was mimicking him. He ran a hand through his ever-messy hair, biting gently on his lip. After a rather uncomfortable silence, Sparrow spoke up, commenting on the oddity of Chadwick. If anyone fit the definition, it was him. A few more seconds and the wild-haired girl continued her thoughts. She asked about their fight, prompting a heavy sigh from the Ravenclaw. "No, our first fight was shortly before winter break last term. We were in the owlery and he was being mean to Cenek. I tried to help them both because I don't need any enemies, but he took offence. Grabbed me by the collar and threatened me. So, today I did the same." That was a lot of words, but something told him the girl would keep asking questions if she thought she didn't have all the details, so he went ahead and spilled a lot. "Though I realized he was a jerk the very first time we met. I ran into him on accident and he teased me. He was rude when I didn't do anything wrong. That's why I can tell them apart, even when they're wearing similar attire."

{{OoC: Ghosted Chad with full permission from Kung!}}
Addaellis

Mᴀʏʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs sᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴘᴏᴜʀɪɴɢ ᴏᴜᴛ
Bᴜᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴜɴʟᴏᴄᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀᴛᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴋᴇᴇᴘs ʏᴏᴜʀ sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛ sᴏᴜʟ, ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ᴅʀᴏᴡɴ?
Iꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ꜰɪsᴛs ᴀʀᴇ ʀᴀᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴇᴅ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ʙᴇᴀᴛɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀsᴇʟꜰ ᴅᴏᴡɴ, ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴇɢs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴇɪɢʜᴛ
Iꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ sᴇᴛᴛʟɪɴɢ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏꜰ ɢʀᴀʏ sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜰᴀᴄᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ʜᴀᴛᴇ
Iꜰ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟɪsᴛᴇɴ, ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴇᴄɪᴅᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴘᴇᴀᴋ, Iꜰ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ɪs ʟᴇꜰᴛ sᴛᴀɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴍʙs ᴇxᴘʟᴏᴅᴇ, ɪꜰ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀɴᴛs ᴛᴏ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ
Fᴏʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴀʀᴇ, I ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ʜᴇʀᴇ sᴛɪʟʟ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:05 pm

User Image♥♡
SPARROW KIYA WINCHESTER

Sparrow listened carefully. She didn’t agree, but she wasn’t here to agree: for now, she took what Finley said as truth, and tried to imagine where she’d be if one of the twins had threatened him every time she encountered them. She was suddenly very bothered by people who couldn’t tell them apart. She wondered if Finley considered Cenek a friend-- she knew Cenek considered Finley a friend, and of course she wanted to befriend him. ”That’s...tough. Not make enemies. You were just trying to watch out for yourself.”

She relaxed thoughtfully into his position, pausing only to pat the foil on her hair gently, wondering how long it had been. Surely no time at all. One more question. ”What do you want from Chadwick, Finley? Do you want to be friends? Do you want him to be nice? Or,”--and here her own voice leaked back in, excited as though she was predicting the ending of a script--”You don't really care, you just want to befriend Cenek!”

hair color foilhead! || wearing The most obnoxious article of black clothing Wren could find
status Getting into Finley-character

Baby, I'm sorry
But please don't leave
♡♥

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Coloration
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Why did she have to ask?

Finley sighed softly, the noise one all too familiar to him. Sparrow said it was tough not to make enemies, but he shrugged. "Either way, I prefer to keep people neutral at worst." He let the second half of her words hang, not really sure of his reply. Yes, he was trying to look out for himself, but at the same time, that sounded quite selfish. Once the girl relaxed back, Finley did the same, allowing himself to slump a bit. He looked down at his shoes, sighing at the ever-untied laces. His shoes were getting a bit bedraggled anyway, but he didn't want to replace them, since they were one of the only things he'd ever bought for himself while at Wool's... though they were starting to get tight on his feet...

While his train of thought was derailed, Sparrow seemed to think up more questions. What did he want from Chadwick? "Honestly, I wish he'd leave me alone. It'd be nice for him to stop being a jerk to Cenek, but it's not something I can change." He sighed again, this time pinching the bridge of his nose. He really hoped Cenek wouldn't have to deal with his brother being a jerk forever, especially because - up until a couple hours ago - Fin thought they were friends. Now... now he wasn't certain where their friendship lie. "Why do you ask? I mean, it's not like my status with him affects anyone other than myself... and him." If there was one thing living as weird a life as he didn't teach, it was how to socially interact. Sure, he'd been a talkative, friendly kid, but years of getting passed over and rejected ruined any hope at real connection. He still found himself wondering if Chad was regretting his choice, despite the man's many promises that he surely wasn't. Love just... wasn't something Finley understood, and friendships were pretty much the same... right?

Addaellis

Mᴀʏʙᴇ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs sᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴘᴏᴜʀɪɴɢ ᴏᴜᴛ
Bᴜᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴜɴʟᴏᴄᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀᴛᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴋᴇᴇᴘs ʏᴏᴜʀ sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛ sᴏᴜʟ, ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ᴅʀᴏᴡɴ?
Iꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ꜰɪsᴛs ᴀʀᴇ ʀᴀᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴇᴅ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ʙᴇᴀᴛɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀsᴇʟꜰ ᴅᴏᴡɴ, ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴇɢs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɢɪᴠᴇɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴇɪɢʜᴛ
Iꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ sᴇᴛᴛʟɪɴɢ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴏꜰ ɢʀᴀʏ sᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜰᴀᴄᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ʜᴀᴛᴇ
Iꜰ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟɪsᴛᴇɴ, ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴇᴄɪᴅᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴘᴇᴀᴋ, Iꜰ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ɪs ʟᴇꜰᴛ sᴛᴀɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴍʙs ᴇxᴘʟᴏᴅᴇ, ɪꜰ ɴᴏ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀɴᴛs ᴛᴏ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 am

User Image♥♡
SPARROW KIYA WINCHESTER

Sparrow couldn’t help but deflate a little at Finley’s response that he wanted Chadwick to leave him alone. But this was not the character she was trying to understand. She added Finley’s words to her mental concept of the truths and motivations and tried to wrap her mind around it. Finley asked her a question in response to all these questions, and Sparrow gathered everything she could from her observations. Resignment. Knowledge of Chadwick being rude and threatening. And just wanting to be left alone, so he wouldn’t be hurt. She tried to convey it all in her performance, because her lines could not agree:

“Chadwick’s my soulmate and Cenek’s one of my best friends. Anyone connected to them is connected to me. This... thing with you and Chadwick...it affects me too. So, even if I can’t change anything, I want to try.” she replied seriously, matching his rhythm of speaking if not his voice. She sighed, more resignment and frustration than exasperation. ”I love Chadwick because of his energy. He wants a lot of attention, but he gives me just as much in return. Gives me praise and critique. He and I fight sometimes too. Thankfully, we’ve always gotten back together.”

Sparrow reached forward, offering her hands palm-up to her new friend. Resignment. Knowledge. Safety. She always thought she was safest with her family and friends around her. ”Sometimes, I think Cenek feels like he's just Chadwick's ...stunt double. But they're quite different, and you've noticed that. And you should know...you’ve got a friend in Cenek.”

She let that hang in the air for a few moments, then dropped her head. And Scene.

A moment later, Sparrow popped back on her feet, stretching herself up to full height, pulling Finley up if he’d taken her hand. She twirled around. ”You’ve got a friend in me
You’ve got a friend in me.
When the road looks rough ahead
And you’re miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you’ve got a friend in me.”

status Finley-character, Sparrow-lines

Lyrics from "You've got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story. Cover by Caleb Hyles and Brian Hull.
[quote-"Miss GryffindorK"]

Baby, I'm sorry
But please don't leave
♡♥

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:42 am
User ImageUser Image
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Fancy Up-do time
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Why does everyone have so much energy?

Finley sighed again, pinching the bridge of his nose when Sparrow exclaimed Chadwick to be her soulmate. Part of him wanted to ask if the idiot boy even had a soul, or maybe to simply ask why. Cenek being a best friend, he could see that, even if he wasn't sure on his own standing. She noted that the tension between Chadwick and Finley was causing her some strife, but she was determined to change. She brought up her love for Chadwick's energy, which always seemed to leave Finley exhausted and stressed. Maybe it only worked for kids who were already highly energetic? "I'll tell you what, if you want to try to make him not be a jerk to me, then I'll try to stop being so harsh against him." There. That'd make her happy. Though secretly he wished electronics worked at school so he could record Chadwick during one of his temper tantrums.

Sparrow sighed about Cenek and Chadwick's relationship, but honestly Finley thought Cenek just wished Chadwick would stop blaming Cenek whenever he was a jerk. Sparrow offered her hands, but Finley didn't really know why. He awkwardly set his on top, only to be pulled to his feet by the girl now twirling and singing. Thank the stars above dad called for them so he could wash Sparrow's hair out. Finley flopped back in the chair, prepared to let the weight of her words settle in his head. Unfortunately, he was quickly called to help. A series of removing foils and rinsing, followed by washing up Sparrow's hair went rather quickly, though Fin thought it was due to the extra set of hands... or possibly Chad's trying to finish up before his next appointment.

Sure enough, the man used magic to dry her hair quickly, then asked Fin if he could handle the updo. The younger Archer nodded, then grabbed a hairbrush to gently begin detangling before his braiding. The teen looked over as one of his dad's customers came in, the man greeting him as happy as ever. Was everyone named Chad just.... exceptionally energetic? He sighed softly, looking at the table. Typically, Chad just kept his stuff color coded, but for Finley's sake, he'd started labeling everything. A blessing he was. Grabbing some nice hair oil, Finley worked it into Sparrow's mottled grey hair, biting the tip of his tongue as he focused.

Addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:59 pm

User Image♥♡
SPARROW KIYA WINCHESTER

Still in character at the time, Sparrow gave only a small half-smile when Finley said he would lighten up on Chadwick if she could get Chadwick to be less of a jerk..she’d have to think that one through more, but inside she was mentally cheering. She kept her expression controlled. ”Alright. You’re going to be friends when I’m through.”

The scene continued, then concluded, and she was dragging Finley around in a dance. She squealed when Mr. Archer called her over, and then she waited impatiently to finish. And then finally it was done. Sparrow almost jumped out of her seat as Finley started detangling her hair. It was...not what she imagined. IT WAS BETTER! ”O. M. Geeeeeeeeeee! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!” She’d never had so many colors in her hair before! This was so fun!. She watched with barely contained enthusiasm as Finley brushed and braided it, trying to memorize everything he was doing.

Wren paid close attention from his spot as well, trying to understand the techniques that went into...folding hair. He took care of the bill as Finley worked on the styling. He’d been listening to Finley and Sparrow’s conversation from his ambivalent position and...well, he was used to Sparrow’s antics. He thought better of Finley for not being fooled by Chadwick, and noted that he liked keeping people at a “neutral” distance. Hm. This could be useful.

The moment Sparrow was finished, Wren was ready to pull her away before she could suggest another duet or conversation. ”Archer,” he acknowledged, giving the younger boy a nod of thanks. ”Let’s go, I still have places to be.”

”If you wanted to hang out with Aspen you didn’t have to wait with me.” Sparrow replied, but she stopped admiring her new hair in the mirror and waved enthusiastically as her brother dragged her out the door. ”Thank you Mr. Archer! Bye Finley! We’ll hang out soon okay? Karaoke or something!”

setting Magic Clips Hair Salon || with Mr. Archer, Finley and Wren
hair color Multicolored! <3 || wearing The most obnoxious article of black clothing Wren could find
statusIT'S SO COLORFUL <3

Baby, I'm sorry
But please don't leave
♡♥

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxWʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Magic Clips
xxxWʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Dad... kinda
xxxxWʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Reading
xxxxxWʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Stupid glasses keep sliding off my face

Finley was having a decidedly lazy day. He'd opted for cozy sweats and a well-worn tee shirt. He'd opted to still wear shoes, though in typical fashion the laces of his converse were untied. While his dad was working, he flopped onto the window seat, pulling out a book. He'd managed to save up a bit of money for a heavy book on the history of jazz and musical theory. He adjusted his new glasses, grumbling quietly about people who preferred wearing them. Maybe he'd ask about ordering contacts instead... Sure enough, though, the lenses seemed to be helping. Everything was crystal clear, now sharp greys to replace the slightly blurred shades.

He sighed softly, looking at the words on the pages. He wanted to play, to try out some of the techniques, but he'd spent the morning applying polish to his trumpet and it was still drying. Oh well, he could play later. The teen curled up a bit, leg dangling lazily from the seat, foot just barely brushing the floor. Dark eyes looked up, watching the man as he worked, happily chatting with the client. It was weird, how much other people could like to talk and work. Finley himself preferred the quiet, but he occasionally liked a nice conversation. The weird, dribbling small talk was something he wasn't as comfortable with. Maybe someday he'd learn. Oh well. Flipping a page, Finley snuggled back in and started absorbing the new information.

Stefan Lee Salvatore

Trying hard to fight these tears. I'm crazy worried
Messing with my head this fear I'm so sorry
You know you gotta get it out I can't take it
That's what being friends about. I want to cry I can't deny
Tonight I wanna up and hide and get inside
It isn't right I gotta live in my life
Gotta turn the world into your dance floor
Push until you can't and then demand more
You and me together, we can make it better

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm
User Image

✌ Chadwick ✌ Knapp ✌
Third Year Slytherin

▬▬"Being the best is great, you're the number one."▬▬

This summer had been weird, without Deepak there the whole house seemed much more...calm? It wasn't like he spent all the time there, he still switched between living with his parents, and living with his grandparents. He needed to get away from his family, go visit a friend or something. Go visit... no he couldn't visit them... maybe- no... Archer. He could go to Archer. The two weren't buddies like Cenek and Finley were, but... maybe Finley would tolerate Chadwick for a little bit, and just be there, that would be nice. It was settled, he threw on a hoodie and went to Hogsmeade to the Hair Salon that he'd probably find Finley in.

Upon arriving, he saw Finley in the window seat, reading...with glasses? Since when did Archer wear glasses? They looked nice on his face, made his eyes pop a little. He walked in, and turned the corner to be standing right next to Finley. He said with his usual attitude, Nice glasses, Archer. Seeing any better now?" Wait - no. that sounded rude. This was already off to a bad start, he had planned on coming in here acting cool being nice - and he'd already butchered it. Wait - no maybe he could save the conversation, he was reading. maybe it was something Chadwick had heard of. "Say, whatcha reading there Archer?" He reached out for the book before seeing the top of the page say something about jazz, "Jazz? Really? Do you ever do something not related to your Jazz?" Nope, he had once again butchered the conversation. Was Chadwick just incapable of being a kind human towards Finley?

▬▬"Being unique is greater, you're the only one." ▬▬

Where: Salon
With Whom: Archer
Thinking about: Well - goodbye friendship.
Wearing: Blue hoodie, black jeans.

Miss Gryffindork

_____

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:43 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxWʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Chadwick.... no, Cenek... no, it's def Chadwick.
xxxxxWʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Three summers in a row. Whoooo...

Finley flipped a page in his book, humming softly as he started a new section of the book. His attention was called away by the door chime, a sigh escaping when he saw one of the Knapp twins. Now he had two questions. Which one was this, and where was the other? They immediately started with a weird... backhanded compliment. It was Chadwick. Lovely. "Yes, actually. Seeing better is the entire purpose of glasses." He sat up a bit, moving subtly to a more defensive pose.

The next question was about his book, which honestly threw Finley. Maybe it was Cenek... but in a bad mood. "It's a really cool book on the history of Ja--" He was cut off, the twin finishing his word. Oh lord. Chadwick (Finley was sure it was the Slytherin, as Cenek usually seemed interested... at least a bit) commented on the fact that Finley was always doing something jazz-related. Finley wanted to say something snappy, but he promised Sparrow he'd at least try. So... try he would. "Not always. Besides, this book covers way more than just the music. It has the history, the political and social climates that literally led to the jazz music. It's actually really interesting.... if you like history, I guess." There. He even added enthusiasm so he could emphasize his polite... niceness... attempt.

Stefan Lee Salvatore

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:17 pm
User Image

✌ Chadwick ✌ Knapp ✌
Third Year Slytherin

Chadwick was pretty excited once Finley started talking about the book and what it was about. Sure, Chadwick wasn't that interested at first, he hated reading and the thought of reading was just gross. Book sthemselves though? Were wonderful. They had adventures and history and tragedy, and the idea of books was just... books. Chadwick grinned, "Tell me more, what factors in the world made Jazz the wonder it is today. Obviously, some pretty big stuff since it wasn't forgotten like other less common music things." Did Chadwick know what music had been forgotten? Obviously not - it was forgotten. Maybe like.. the music from the 1990s was forgotten? That was over half a century ago, and yet music that was over a century old was better remembered probably.

Wait - had Chadwick just had a decent remark to Finley? Maybe the answer was clear - he just needed to be more Ravenclaw, more book nerdy, more like Cenek. Maybe, if he actually tried to act like Cenek, instead of the version of Cenek that Chadwick had created for the world, maybe then more people would like him... and finley would become his friend. It was worth a shot at least. "I like the cause and effect of things, so this book on things that lead to jazz seems interesting." No wait, now he was just going on and on about one thing, maybe he needed a little less Ravenclaw pretending in his life, he didn't need to ramble about something that he didn't know about, that would be Archer's job in the conversation - Ramble on and on about Jazz, sure.

Thinking about: Hello friendship?.

Miss Gryffindork

_____

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:59 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxWʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? It's gotta be Cenek... I'm pretty sure.
xxxxxWʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Holy cow, he wants to talk jazz???

As soon as the twin's words tumbled free, Finley was confused. If this was Chadwick, why was he being so.... chummy? And when did he start liking jazz? or books about jazz? or... books? Either way, the question was posed with curiosity, and Fin wasn't one to turn down the opportunity to talk jazz. Sliding over, he pat the bench seat beside him, then made sure they both had clear view of the book.

"Okay, so jazz was created in the States, specifically the African-American communities around New Orleans. It was initially a mix of blues and ragtime, both of which were more popular in the 1900's. It's unique because of the swing notes, paired with a sort of 'call-and-response' sort of vocal. So New Orleans jazz was the original, then it started spreading, creating swing bands, then there's Kansas City style Jazz, which has more of a... hard edged, bluesy improv feel. There's also Gypsy Jazz, which has more of like... traditional waltz elements to it." He took a pause, turning to a page focused more on the cultural elements.

"It took place predominantly during the Roaring 20's, a time of social and societal upheaval. Girls wearing more 'provocative' clothing, and it was kinda like... a class switch, y'know? There was also prohibition - when the States fully banned alcohol - which led to lots of underground speakeasies being home bases for jazz. I bet they had killer acoustics, but I dunno. It's super expressive because there's so many ways to render jazz. You can do slower, sad songs, fast party songs... and everything else. It's the best way I have to express myself 'cause I don't do art or whatever and I don't talk much... so. Jazz became what I used."

He paused, finally taking a collective breath. How much had he just said? It was weird, but also.... strangely comforting? Yea, this had to be Cenek.... probably. Either way, it was an odd emotion swirling around. Finley looked over at the twin, noticing his light-grey eyes. He also felt a heat rising to his cheeks, so he sharply looked away, back to the book in hand. He flipped a few pages, settling on one about famous jazz musicians while he took a few deep breaths to calm himself down. That was weird, right? It was certainly something he wasn't comfortable with. Maybe he'd just gotten worked up with all the ranting.

Stefan Lee Salvatore

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:02 pm
User Image

✌ Chadwick ✌ Knapp ✌
Third Year Slytherin

Chadwick sat next to Finley, and listened as he began explaining the book, and poiting out a few pages. He kept going. On. and on. That was the most Chadwick had ever heard Finley talk. He knew the kid liked Jazz, but didn't realize he was so passionate about it. When finley paused and took a breath, Chadwick smiled at him and asked, "So you used Jazz to express yourself, what's your favorite style then? You said swing bands, Kansas City, Gypsy, all those. So surely, one must have a favorite?" Chadwick thought about it and answered his question, give some info get some info, right? He looked toward the ground, nervous about showing Finley that yes, he had some knowledge of what he was talking about. "I think I'm more of a fan of style like Louis Armstrong, if we're talking Jazz only styles. Just, the versatility he had being able to sing and play, it's outstanding. Of course, he's probably part of the reason why Jazz didn't die in the 20s, he kept it alive."

Chadwick didn't know much about Armstrong, about music of Jazz, but he knew a bit. He had learned how to sing as a kid, had tried fiddling at piano, bagpipes (ugh how could Brook stand them), viola, flute, and so on, but yet singing was the only thing he would stick with. At home. No where else. His mom may require them all to learn an instrument, but he would not let anyone else know that was required of him still. He looked up to Finley, and waited for what Finley's answer would be, oh now. What if Archer hated Armstrong, what if this was the deciding factor to friendship?

Thinking about: Should not have been so specific

Miss Gryffindork

_____

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:33 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxWʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Chadwick... I'm pretty sure
xxxxxWʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Pft, do I like Louis Armstrong

Finley tilted his head a bit when the twin asked about his own preferred style. That was... a really good question. "Probably traditional? Maybe a mix with Kansas City, since I like the symphonic sound it has." He shrugged a bit, debating if that were the answer he liked. It was pretty weird to have someone hit all these questions, since the only people he'd tried to have in-depth conversations with on the topic always seemed... bored. Maybe he really did need a new hobby. Oof.

The twin - Chadwick, he was pretty sure - mentioned Louis Armstrong, prompting one of the rare, but genuine Finley smiles to appear. "Yes! You probably also like New Orleans - traditional - jazz. He was one of the pioneers! He actually had one of the longest careers, something like 50 years on stage. But if you like Louis, you also might like Miles Davis. He was actually trained at Julliard, one of the best music schools worldwide. Miles went on to make cool jazz, which is like.... traditional, but with more modern elements, I guess? He's also a trumpeter." He nodded, showing pages on both people as he spoke about them. Vaguely, he wondered where the interest came from... and maybe if Chadwick played any instruments himself. Well, no way to know unless he asked, right? "D-do you play? Not trumpet, I'm sure, but.... anything?"

Stefan Lee Salvatore

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:27 pm
User Image

✌ Chadwick ✌ Knapp ✌
Third Year Slytherin

Apparently, Finley really liked Louis Armstrong, he was very excited and launched into another rant. However, that rant ended in him asking a question Chadwick had hoped he wouldn't ask, if he played anything. Chadwick did not flaunt his music like his sister did, despite Sparrow trying to get him to do something with it. He groaned and leaned backwards and looked outside, this seat did have a good view, no wonder Finley so often was caught sitting here. He smiled to Finley, "would you believe me if I told you I followed in Brook's footsteps, and I play bagpipes?" He frowned, he hadn't heard Brook play her bagpipes since Deepak, it was strange to not have that weird noise coming from the bedrooms constantly. He sighed and mumbled, "I kind of sing. I guess." there, that was all he would say, unless Finley pried, but he didn't usually, did he? Chadwick had never spent time talking to the kid, maybe the only thing Finley had passion about was music.

He stood up, and smiled to Finley, "Well Archer, it has been a pleasure to talk with you, but I think it's time for me to leave." He wasn't really ready to leave, but he didn't want to cause trouble, and that was bound to happen with him sitting in the salon. He still wasn't sure how much of a grudge Finley's dad had against Chadwick, since he had been harsh to Finley last year, had that only been a year ago? He sighed, and walked toward the door, maybe he could go bother Sparrow again?

Thinking about: Do we tell him?

Miss Gryffindork

_____

Hogsmeade

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash