Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Links
Can I Lose My Salvation? A Plea for Grace on Both Sides.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 am
A common question for many is, "Can I lose my salvation?" I've heard both sides of the argument, and only God truly knows a person's heart, but I can share a few thoughts. The reason there is a debate is because the Scriptures teach that salvation is a gift from God that cannot be earned, but they also offer warnings about falling away. There should be a healthy tension between God's sovereignty and man's responsibility. This issue should not create a spirit of division, elitism, or theological superiority.

Read more at: link

In-guild discussion or relevant topics;

"Eternal Security"  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:50 pm
edited to break into further paragraphs, clarify meaning, and add detail

It's Biblically-incorrect to say that Judas Iscariot had "shared in the Holy Spirit" as the verse in Hebrews 6:4-6 reads. Jesus breathed out the Holy Spirit on the disciples after His resurrection from the dead (John 20:22), prior to His ascension in the clouds. The disciples had not shared in the Holy Spirit before then. Thus the difference in Peter (who denied Jesus, in his cowardice, prior to the crucifixion, but then, after Jesus' resurrection on the third day, and receiving the Holy Spirit in John 20:22, Peter can be found boldly preaching to suffer for doing good, following in Jesus' example [1 Peter 2:20-21]).

The difference in reaction and attitude? Peter finally shared in the Holy Spirit—which Peter didn't have prior to Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection from the dead. And if Peter didn't have it, then neither did Judas. Judas Iscariot is not the example to use to illustrate Hebrews 6:4-6 (he hadn't shared in the Holy Spirit, just like Peter, another one of the 12, hadn't, prior to Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection from the dead on the third day).

However, had Peter, after sharing in the Holy Spirit in John 20:22, walked away from Christ, disowned Him, said Jesus was not the Messiah, etc, then nothing would make Peter come back to the faith. There is no sacrifice for sins left when, after having sincerely accepted, and been a seasoned believer, you deny the only sacrifice for sins there is. There's nothing more, nor more intimate of revelation (i.e. inner convictions of the Holy Spirit), that God could share to make him change his mind. What would make him repent at that point? Nothing.

Ergo, "It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace". Judas doesn't fit all of these criteria. And this isn't describing a false convert. This person would not be ignorant in any way at that point. He would have been empowered fully, known with 100% conviction that Jesus is the Messiah, no doubts, sharing in the Holy Spirit, but still walked away. Hebrews 6:4-6 is not describing someone like Judas Iscariot.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Links

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces