Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts I ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:38 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Eiji Clarke
1st Year | Half-Blood | Hufflepuff

Eiji smiled at Sonora. He couldn't help but chuckle at her question. He highly doubted his imagery with his spells would help anyone else. "I actually image DB Kamehameha technique when doing this spell." Eiji ammitted with a shy grin. "It's the kind of pushing force I figured this spell would use."

Eiji grin grew and he nodded his head. "Ydy! That's me." Eiji respond. "Ydy, I draw a lot. I plan on becoming a mangaka so I need lots of practice. Also the quills are called Sugar Quills! They are the best thing ever." Eiji exclaimed.

Eiji looked towards Vespera with a small frown. The girl usually seemed really confident *cough*arrogant*cough* but today not so much. He wasn't really paying attention but he wondered if maybe she came late. He pulled out his notes from the lecture and folded them into a paper airplane and threw it to her.

OOC: addaellis: Sorry took a bit to respond. Overprotective friends can be controlling. Lol.

addaellis

Stefan Lee Salvatore

When | Fall 2042
Where |
With |
Feeling |

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 am
The sky we’re looking at today

♪♫ Sonora Li
first year || Ravenclaw || halfblood
Music club || Reserve Keeper

It took Sonora an embarrassingly long moment to connect what he said to theshe she'd heard a lot about but never actually watched. But that would do it. she thought, glancing at the flipped over tables. She was about to get back to practicing envisioning something on the scale of ...well, maybe not quite over 9000, when he mentioned he wanted to draw manga--she knew quite a few family members that would be excited about that.

"A mangaka--are you working on any project now?" she asked curiously. "You could publish it in the Daily Dragon, or even as an independent zine every few months!"

Speaking of comics for the Dragon, she glanced around until she spotted Jonah. He looked focused though, and she decided against flagging him down in the middle of class-- she really should be focused as well. She kept an ear out for her conversation with Eiji but turned her wand on the desk and continued firing flipendo at it--to somewhat better results.

”shadow_the_kit”

could be brighter tomorrow.

addaellis

CEOxJOE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:53 pm
User Image

Alex was on his way into class. Sure he was a bit late but at least he was here. He went to his typical seat and listened to the teacher. He loved the classes that he got to crack out the wand. He was at least patient enough to practice the wand movement and words separately. He noticed his friends here before him, but that didn't bother him as long as he was able to listen to the lecture. Once everything was set Alex decided to give it a go. "Flipendo!" . The desk tipped on two legs the rocked back then less than less then half a second it pushed with huge force to the seat in front of him. "Wow. Holy cow. what a spell!"

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 am

Eiji Clarke

Eiji grinned at Sonora. "Ydy. I am currently working on my manga debut." Eiji responded while bouncing in place. "My Otōto is editing it for me. I send him a few pages of my manuscript every week. I haven't really gotten too far in the final draft yet. Only three chapters."

Eiji then turned and waved at Jonah and Alex. He peeked to make sure the professor wasn't paying too much attention to him then focused back on Sonora.

"What's the Daily Dragon?" Eiji asked.

OOC: It's fine. Life happens.

addaellis

When | Fall 2042
Where | DADA
With | Sonora and 1st years
Feeling | Happy

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm
The sky we’re looking at today

♪♫ Sonora Li
first year || Ravenclaw || halfblood
Music club || Reserve Keeper

"Your debut! What's it about?" she asked curiously.

She took a moment struggling over the Japanese-- a male friend or family member by the context clues? That was enough. But he had a manga in progress and even an editor-- at eleven! That was incredible! She only drew scenery and landscapes--mere assistant/ background work for an actual mangaka, but just the idea of someone her age writing and drawing their own manga got her excited. She jotted a note in her manuscript book about thinking on it later and focused back on the conversation.

"The Daily Dragon is a student-run paper," she replied, glancing up. Jonah and Alex looked diligently at practice, but Vespera--aha! Ves seemed to have materialized out of nowhere, Eiji's paper airplane from earlier near her. Perfect. "Jonah in my house and Vespera from Slytherin write for the staff and would know more. Have you met?" she asked, moving them closer to be near Vespera.

She hesitated suddenly when she realized she still didn't know the boy's name properly. No matter though. "Vespera, this was the first year I told mentioned that drew really well."
[quote="shadow_the_kit”]
[quote="Stefan Lee Salvatore”]

could be brighter tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃
User ImageFirst Year SlytherinUser Image
▬▬"Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person. " ▬▬

Vespera looked at the notes that had fallen near her in the form of an airplane. She read over the notes and frowned, she waved at the boy who sent it and copied them down, also noting to ask Jonah how it worked. While she began working on wand motion, Sona and the boy who had given her notes came over. She handed Eiji his notes back, "Thanks for the notes. Jonah will appreciate me not having to take his notes." She grinned at them, "I've heard of your drawings, I hope I can see them one day. Although, Sonora forgot to mention, what's your name again? I'm sorry, I'm dreadful with names!" She pulled out her notebook for her daily dragon thoughts and wrote down about Eiji, waiting for his name so she could write his name down to being it up, "It's just the school paper, you could probably be used in the comics or something. It's a fun time, and they have cookies."

~ Women being turned into goats?
~ Superior form of coffee discovered
~ Quidditch through the ages
~ Potions that can kill if you mess up
_______ = good artist; draw for dragon

▬▬ "Within each of us is the capacity for both good and evil." ▬▬

Where: DADA
With Whom: Students
Thinking about: Classes
Vespera Description: Short 4' even, blond hair, green eyes and slight tan.
Wearing: School Uniform
OOC:Feel free to talk with Ves

addaellis

shadow_the_kit

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100

shadow_the_kit

Cluttered Phantom

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Eiji Clarke

Eiji gave both girls a huge shark-like grin. He gladly took his note back from Vespera. "To answer your question Sonora, my manga is a fantasy sci-fi that takes place on a colony of Earth around 2000 years in the future." Eiji said with a grin. "And no we haven't actually been introduced. Nice to meet you Vespera. I'm Eiji Clarke. The paper sounds pretty cool but it must be a lot of work."

Eiji paused and titled his head. He never thought of working for a paper before. Though it might be pretty brill. "I may have to visit and see about doing a chapter. Just to get a feel if I like it. By the by, do you have an editor? If not I can send it to my Otōto and have him help. He does a tidy job for a 10 year old. O-jiichan says he's better then some editors he's worked with."

OOC: -

addaellis

Stefan Lee Salvatore

When | Fall 2042
Where | DADA
With | 1st years
Feeling | Excited

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 am
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly.

As the first years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what the Dark Arts are? In some magical schools, they comprise their own, separate subject, but here at Hogwarts we take a more... benevolent approach."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm
User Image
☽Aldrick✩Knapp☾
User ImageGryffindor First YearUser Image

▬▬ Make your life a masterpiece; ▬▬

Aldrick walked into class, their first class of the day, and not until a bit later in the morning. It was a pretty nice thing, having time to work on other more creative tasks before being trapped in a classroom. He mumbled to himself, "If I'd become a professor, I'd still have my freedom, this is such a pain, school is a pain. I just want this to be finished already." He opened his notebook, and sincerely hoped this class wouldn't be too boring. To be fair, the Professor had not asked them their names at least, it was such a boring first day tradition. He also was not obligated to answer her question. Though he wrote down on his paper:
notes
Dark Arts = The Magical Art of Dark Magic.
DADA = Defense Against the Above
He whispered to himself, "Aha, I have learned the true meaning of DADA."

▬▬ imagine no limitations on what you can be, have, or do. ▬▬

With Whom: First Years
Thinking about: My freedom...come back.
Aldrick Description: Greenish blueish eyes, blond hair, 4'8"
Wearing: School Robes

OOC: Open for Interaction

_____

_____

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:48 pm
XI The law, the justice, the truth...

AUGUST TANZIL MEYLIAN LI
first year || Slytherin || muggleborn

"If you'd become a professor, you'd just be at the front of the classroom instead of here in the audience," August snarked, hearing Aldrick's comment as he walked into the classroom. He paused a moment to greet him properly. "Good afternoon, Knapp."

Then, with a brisk nod, August took a seat front and center and started scrutinizing the list of rules at the front of the class.. Their professor seemed strict and intimidating at first glance...and once she spoke up, August got the distinct feeling that Professor Cohen would be good friends with his mother if they ever met. "Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." A fascinating philosophy, one Mother would...probably agree to. I don't get it personally, but she is a professor.

He didn't raise his hand right away. August still hadn't properly looked through those things about blood purity and dark magics well enough to speak on them...for today he needed to hold his tongue and learn.

No matter what, I promise, I will protect you. IV

addaellis

Trickblues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:54 pm
User Image
User Image

Elizabeth Kaye Spektor
Pureblood | Gryffindor | First Year | Eleven Years Old
Fall 2043 DADA I With: Classmates

═══════════════════XXXX═══════════════════

Lizzie had intended to sit with August and Aldrick in DADA today, but of course they couldn’t make that easy for her. She rolled her eyes as she saw them seated in totally different rows and tossed her bag by a seat in the back, where she was most comfortable. ‘Whatever, not like I wanted to talk to either of you two blokes anyway.’

She sat with one leg folded beneath her, the other dangling just slightly into the aisle as she opened her text and prepared her quill and ink. She decided right quick that she very much enjoyed Professor Cohen. She seemed like she must have been quite the badass back in her day and while she appeared intimidating, she didn’t seem all that strict. More of a ‘listen or don’t, it’s your funeral’ type. She could get on board with that.

Professor Cohen asked the students for an explanation on what the dark arts are, and while this was certainly a topic that Elizabeth had been well-versed in over the years, she hadn’t much desire to be the first one to answer and mark herself as some sort of nerd. Surely August would answer, right? He seemed the know-it-all sort. Except… He didn’t, and Aldrick didn’t have much of a remark either. She wasn’t sure about the rest of the class, but it didn’t seem like anyone else had an immediate answer either. The lioness sighed as she twirled her quill between her fingers like a baton. ‘Oh, sure, leave the auror’s kid to answer the professor. Real swell.’

“The dark arts,” She began coolly, “Refer to any sort of magic that is mainly used to cause harm, control, or even death to the victim involved. Anyone that relies on these sorts of spells are called dark wizards, and there’s a whole branch of the ministry dedicated to the investigation and apprehension of such wizards.”

════════════════════════════════════════════════

OOC:
Open for interaction!
Username

Oh, don't worry so much about those who came before you
Nor about your classmates, my dear girl
Best to forge your own path, find your own way
Some independence would do you good, yes, better be
Gryffindor!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:25 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon almost languished at her desk, looking vaguely irked as the students came in and took their seats. Finally, with a small sigh, she stood up, stretched a little, and wand in hand, began her pacing up and down the rows of desks and chairs, careful not to trip over anyone's bag. "You're all in luck, as today we'll be learning one of the most simple- and essential- spells known to wizards. Some of you may already be familiar with this, as it's not unusual to simply pick it up from older students as you go about your daily lives." She held her wand aloft, made sure they were all looking at it, and enunciated carefully, "LOO-mos," while moving it in a loop:

And then a sharp wave-like motion, saying, "NOCK-ss,":

The bright light extinguished itself immediately. "That," said Fanchon, "Is the wand lighting and extinguishing charm. As you can see, it's obviously very useful when you are in a dark place, or going about at night. It was not, surprisingly, invented until the year 1772, by a witch named Levina Monkstanley, who worked for the Ministry of Magic, and first used it to find a fallen quill. However, credit was almost stolen from her a German wizard name Garvin Lugner, who said he had invented the spell while developing his Instant Darkness Powder. He was lying, of course, and his powder was found to only dim a room slightly, rather than throw it into darkness."

She stowed her wand away. "Now, one of the positive side effects of the charm is that it also repels many spectral creatures, as well as any dark spirits, so it can be very useful to keep your wand lit when in a place where you may encounter anything of that nature. There's really nothing much to this- the wand movements are most important, as well as making sure your wand stays lit. It's no good if you can only keep the charm up for a few moments, so I want to see everyone's wand lit for at least five minutes. I'll set a timer."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:41 am
User Image
☽Aldrick✩Knapp☾
User ImageGryffindor First YearUser Image

▬▬ Make your life a masterpiece; ▬▬

Aldrick walked into class, determined to not seem like a dreadful student. Sure he hated having to sit in a classroom, but maybe the professors hated being in front of annoying students all day too. When the Professor told them what spell they would be working on he smiled, he had seen his parents using this spell often. He was excited to learn it. When his siblings would come to his room and complain about being afraid of the dark, this was the kind of spell he needed to make them go back to bed. Or maybe just invest in a muggle night light. "Lumos." He said, focusing the light and his spell. He kept it up for a minute, then said "Nox." He went back to getting the light longer, determined to have the light the longest up in the class.

▬▬ imagine no limitations on what you can be, have, or do. ▬▬

With Whom: First Years
Thinking about: Nightlights
Aldrick Description: Greenish blueish eyes, blond hair, 4'8"
Wearing: School Robes

OOC: Open for Interaction

_____

_____

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:56 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon waited until the first years were seated before she started the day's lesson, Jacques prowling around the edge of the classroom. "Flipendo, or the Knockback Jinx, is a very useful spell, especially for a young and inexperienced witch or wizard. It's not difficult to cast and it can be very handy when you find yourself backed into a corner." The Haitian woman gestured with her wand at an unoccupied chair close to her. "Flipendo!" the chair skittered backwards, toppling over with a wooden thud.

"As you can see, it works on objects as well as people. However, people can still get up, even after you knock them over, so I wouldn't expect to win any fights with this jinx," she said dryly. "Depending on the force used, it might just shove someone back roughly, or knock them completely off their feet. I wouldn't expect to send anyone- or anything- flying on your first few tries, however. And be aware that it can be blocked with a simple shield charm or just dodged." The professor nodded to the board. "There's what your wand movement should look like."

"And the light of the jinx should be blue. Now, I don't want you accidentally- or intentionally- hurting each other, so I want a row of desks across the room and everyone behind them. On my count, try to knock the desks back- after I'm behind them as well," Fanchon said hastily. "Alright, en, de, twa-,"

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly.

As the first years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what the Dark Arts are? In some magical schools, they comprise their own, separate subject, but here at Hogwarts we take a more... benevolent approach."

OOC:
Username

First Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff