Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Second Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts II ~ *1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:29 pm
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon was discussing something with an older Gryffindor and older Slytherin, possibly sixth or seventh years, when the second years arrived for class. After they had sat down she stepped to the front of the room to start the lesson. "Today you'll be learning the Tickling Charm, which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and usually only used in duels. But it may prove handy in some odd situation one day, so here we are. This is Darren," the boy waved awkwardly, "And Larissa," the girl smiled, "Who have agreed to be guinea pigs for this lesson."

Fanchon drew her wand. "The effects of the tickling charm are simple. It causes the target to double over in uncontrollable laughter, temporarily keeping them from casting any spells. Darren?"

The blond boy stepped forward, drawing his wand as well. "Expell-,"

"Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" Fanchon snapped, and he doubled over in wheezing laughter, holding his midsection as he tried to get a hold of himself. After a few moments the spell gradually wore off, and the older boy straightened back up, looking a little winded but no worse for the wear.

"As you can see, the light should be silver, and the movement goes like this:,"

"Now, I'd like two lines, and for each of you to have a go casting it on one of these two," she indicated the two teens with a jerk of her head.

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:46 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon looked fairly serious about today's lesson. "I expect," she said, once everyone was seated and quiet, "Diligent notes and strict observance during today's lesson. The disarming charm is one of the, if not the most, important spells you will ever learn during your time here. It has saved countless lives and for the more glory-seeking among us, won countless duels. Once your opponent loses their wand, in many cases, the fight is over. Of course, some people are highly skilled when it comes to wandless magic, but that's another matter entirely. My point is, do not laugh this lesson off, even if you don't think you'll ever need this spell, even if you're not good at this class. If you cannot master this, you should not be carrying a wand," she said sternly.

"Expelliarmus forces the target of the charm to release whatever they are holding, be it a wand, quill, knife... It is extremely common in duels, and has been since the fourteenth century, when, according to our good friend Miranda Goshawk, it was invented by Elizabeth Smudgling, who competed in an international dueling competition in Dartmoor in 1379. When it came down to her and one other wizard, she narrowly escaped death by disarming him with a charm unheard of before. She won the cup and was awarded the title of Supreme Dueler."

"Now, I want a line in front of me, and one by one, you all should attempt to disarm me. The light from your wand should be scarlet." Fanchon settled into a dueling stance, wand raised, and waited for the first brave volunteer. "Remember, it's ex-PELL-ee-ARE-muss."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon stood in the back of the room, rather than the front, in preparation for today's lesson. "I want a line in front of me, horizontally," she said, as the students entered. "Today we'll be learning the smokescreen spell, which is incredibly useful during duels or when you need to get out of a dangerous situation unseen. The spell generates a cloud of smoke, hopefully thick enough to make it very difficult for your opponent to see you, and more importantly, aim at you. The incantation is fumos, and the light of the spell should be yellow." She demonstrated with a swirl of her wand:

"Alright, now one by one, try it. It's alright if you only get a few wisps of smoke at first."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:05 pm

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was discussing something with an older Gryffindor and older Slytherin, possibly sixth or seventh years, when the second years arrived for class. After they had sat down she stepped to the front of the room to start the lesson. "Today you'll be learning the Tickling Charm, which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and usually only used in duels. But it may prove handy in some odd situation one day, so here we are. This is Darren," the boy waved awkwardly, "And Larissa," the girl smiled, "Who have agreed to be guinea pigs for this lesson."

Fanchon drew her wand. "The effects of the tickling charm are simple. It causes the target to double over in uncontrollable laughter, temporarily keeping them from casting any spells. Darren?"

"Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" Fanchon snapped, and he doubled over in wheezing laughter, holding his midsection as he tried to get a hold of himself. After a few moments the spell gradually wore off, and the older boy straightened back up, looking a little winded but no worse for the wear.

"Now, I'd like two lines, and for each of you to have a go casting it on one of these two," she indicated the two teens with a jerk of her head.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffSecond YearTwelve Years OldSingle

Though she liked Madam Cohen, her class made Katya uneasy, and she needed her sister's tutoring to help her get through it. She didn't like the thought of using magic against anyone, even though she knew she had to learn how to defend herself from hostile magic. Her experience over the summer scared her to her core, and she only grudgingly accepted the idea that she had to be able to respond in kind if threatened. Still, she felt nauseous when she queued up to take a turn at using a Tickling Charm against the older students, even if they were volunteering to be targets of the younger kids.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Precious and fragile things, need special handling
                  My God what have we done to you?

We always try to share, the tenderest of care
                  Now look what we have put you through

Things get damaged, things get broken
                  I thought we'd manage, but words left unspoken
                  Left us so brittle, there was so little left to give "

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:56 am
✠ Quinn Ezekiel Conri-Dechering ✠ xxxxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxx <2nd Year>
Time: 2040-2041
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Quinn genuinely liked Defense Against the Dark Arts, though, it was a class that he hoped most of the material he would never need. When he came into class he was surprised to see two older students with Professor Cohen and wondered if they were going to be demonstrating a spell. Quinn hoped that he would be skilled enough someday to be an example to others. He nodded towards Katya, one of Mary's housemates and a girl Mary considered a friend, and took a seat near the front. Taking out his notes he listened as Professor Cohen introduced the topic: the tickling charm. Quinn stood in line for the Gryffindor and waited till it was his turn. When it was his turn, Quinn held out his wand and quickly painted in the air the feather wand movement and declared "Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" He smiled as he was successful. Once the Gryffindor caught his breath Quinn asked, "Are you okay?" The Gryffindor just waved and laughed him off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                          Ah, such concern for your dear sister
                                          A quiet, thoughtful mind, hm?
                                          Yes, I know just where to put you,

Ravenclaw!
                                          {OoC: }
                                          Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:55 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon looked fairly serious about today's lesson. "I expect," she said, once everyone was seated and quiet, "Diligent notes and strict observance during today's lesson. The disarming charm is one of the, if not the most, important spells you will ever learn during your time here. It has saved countless lives and for the more glory-seeking among us, won countless duels. Once your opponent loses their wand, in many cases, the fight is over. Of course, some people are highly skilled when it comes to wandless magic, but that's another matter entirely. My point is, do not laugh this lesson off, even if you don't think you'll ever need this spell, even if you're not good at this class. If you cannot master this, you should not be carrying a wand," she said sternly.

"Expelliarmus forces the target of the charm to release whatever they are holding, be it a wand, quill, knife... It is extremely common in duels, and has been since the fourteenth century, when, according to our good friend Miranda Goshawk, it was invented by Elizabeth Smudgling, who competed in an international dueling competition in Dartmoor in 1379. When it came down to her and one other wizard, she narrowly escaped death by disarming him with a charm unheard of before. She won the cup and was awarded the title of Supreme Dueler."

"Now, I want a line in front of me, and one by one, you all should attempt to disarm me. The light from your wand should be scarlet." Fanchon settled into a dueling stance, wand raised, and waited for the first brave volunteer. "Remember, it's ex-PELL-ee-ARE-muss."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads.

If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the second years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what a knock-back jinx accomplishes? The curriculum has undergone some changes over the years, but you should have mastered that spell last year."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

xo-SkittleFairy-ox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 pm
User Image

Rina walked confidently into her Second Year DADA class, taking her usual seat near the front row and taking out her quill and parchment for note taking. She remembered Professor Cohen from last year, and she gave the woman a warm smile when she saw her. She may seem like the stern type, but there was something Rina liked about her nevertheless.

"The Knockback Jinx is performed with the 'Flipendo' incantation," she began, after raising her hand. "It creates a powerful force that knocks your target off its feet, even flying pretty far back if your jinx is strong enough." She had remembered studying the spell last year, but she made a quick note on her parchent anyway: Review Knockback Jinx.

The Forgotten Weasley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 pm
User Image
User Image
Will you 𝓈 𝓉 𝒶 𝓎 by my side
Will you
𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕖 me
If I let go of your hand, you’ll fly away and ʞɐǝɹq
I’m scared
, scared, ѕ¢αяє∂ of that

A year later, Professor Cohen still intimidated him. She still looked pretty intense with the way she held her cat. Varus was about to proceed to the same seat he had taken the year before until he recognized a familiar Hufflepuff. Deciding that his second year would be a bit more... social, he sat beside her. He gave her a smile that probably looked like a grimace before turning back to Professor Cohen.

"Well," he raised his hand after Karina answered, "the jinx can also be also be used to break apart fragile objects."

He fiddled with his fingers, debating whether or not he should try and talk to the girl this time.

𝓦𝓲𝓵𝓵 you stop time
                                        if this ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛ passes
                                        ħ †hðµgh it hadn't → ΉΛPPΣПΣD
                                        I’m
                                        scared, scared, ѕ¢αяє∂ I'll lose you

OOC:

Quote:

Mr Nightmares

Newbie Noob

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:58 pm
User Image

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
Company
Classmates, Professor Cohen
Mood
Amused

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Oh my gosh, look at him.
                                                          He looks so gloomy.
                                                          Don’t frown or you’ll get wrinkles like a caterpillar.
                                                          You must be annoyed with everything
                                                          like awkward silence

Usually Ha-Yun wasn't the most attentive in classes, usually either falling asleep or just simply not paying attention. But when Professor Cohen mentioned the tickling charm and what it did, the girl could feel her excitment. She sat practically on the edge of her seat as she watched the Professor preform the spell on the boy Darren. A rather ungraceful snort escaped her as the elder boy doubled over in laughter. This honestly seemed like the best spell she could ever learn. Quickly she wrote down the spell and the correct movement for it so that she would not forget it later.

She practically bolted from her seat when Professor Cohen instructed them to get up to practice on the two upperclassmen. When it came to be her turn, she pulled out her wand and mimicking what the movements that her Professor had shown her. "Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" She did her best not to laugh preemptively, but the thought of the elder student doubling over in laughter cause the girl to snicker lightly as she spoke.

A crow passes
                                                          There’s no need for the
                                                          mood to sour so suddenly
                                                          Be cool, just let it pass by
                                                          Laughing it off may not be as easy as it seems, baby
                                                          Don't make your bright face grim
                                                          It doesn't suit you
                                                          Like awkward silence

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
                                                          OOC
                                                          Speak here

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

username goes here

Fuzzymelonlord

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:47 pm

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads.

If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the second years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what a knock-back jinx accomplishes? The curriculum has undergone some changes over the years, but you should have mastered that spell last year."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Trickblues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm
User Image
User Image
JONAH CASTOR LANE
Half-BloodRavenclawSecond YearTwelve Years OldThe Daily DragonReserve Beater

» Fall 2043 » DADA II » With: Classmates
» Status: Flipendo's the BEST

═══════════════════XXXX═══════════════════

Jonah was pleased as a peach to be back in Defense Against the Dark Arts after the long Summer. Sure, if someone had asked him he would have to say that Charms was his absolute favorite course, but DADA was a close second, and it was late enough in the morning that he was almost always at full attention.

Professor Cohen began with a question: What does a knock-back jinx accomplish? It was at that moment Jonah knew his time had come—after all, thanks to Vespera constantly throwing projectiles at him over the past school year, the knock-back jinx had become his specialty and main spell of defense against all things quill, snow, and egg. His hand shot up and he stood to answer. “The knock-back jinx has multiple uses! It can be used to repel an opponent in a duel, knock away an object, or even break apart something fragile like a vase, or a snowball.” Satisfied with his answer, he took back to his seat, ready to jot down notes.

Personally, the snow-explosion resulting from using Flipendo on a snowball was his absolute favorite.

═════════════════════════════════════════════

OOC:
Username

Hm, a curious mind, an adventurous spirit!
Oh, you could do so well in so many places, my boy
Legacy or not, I see you going far
But, let's see then... I think, for you, it'll be

Ravenclaw!

Second Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items