Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Second Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts II ~ *1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 am
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon looked fairly serious about today's lesson. "I expect," she said, once everyone was seated and quiet, "Diligent notes and strict observance during today's lesson. The disarming charm is one of the, if not the most, important spells you will ever learn during your time here. It has saved countless lives and for the more glory-seeking among us, won countless duels. Once your opponent loses their wand, in many cases, the fight is over. Of course, some people are highly skilled when it comes to wandless magic, but that's another matter entirely. My point is, do not laugh this lesson off, even if you don't think you'll ever need this spell, even if you're not good at this class. If you cannot master this, you should not be carrying a wand," she said sternly.

"Expelliarmus forces the target of the charm to release whatever they are holding, be it a wand, quill, knife... It is extremely common in duels, and has been since the fourteenth century, when, according to our good friend Miranda Goshawk, it was invented by Elizabeth Smudgling, who competed in an international dueling competition in Dartmoor in 1379. When it came down to her and one other wizard, she narrowly escaped death by disarming him with a charm unheard of before. She won the cup and was awarded the title of Supreme Dueler."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"Now, I want a line in front of me, and one by one, you all should attempt to disarm me. The light from your wand should be scarlet." Fanchon settled into a dueling stance, wand raised, and waited for the first brave volunteer. "Remember, it's ex-PELL-ee-ARE-muss."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:49 pm
User Image

♪♫
SONORAxxxMEYLINGxxxLI

second year || Ravenclaw || halfblood
Music club || Quidditch reserve seeker || Dueling Club

Expelliarmus, Sonora decided, was going to be essential to her dueling kit. After a half year of slow reactions in Dueling, Sonora was determined to at least be able to disarm her opponent once. Professor Cohen's remark about Wandless Magic made her nod seriously and quickly jot down Wandless Magic in the list of electives she was considering. It was getting to be quite long--no, she'd worry about that later. First, she had to learn this spell. She wondered if Elizabeth Smudgling had written a book about dueling strategies somewhere and added that to the distraction list.

Sonora was definitely not the first person in line. She went over the wand movement and mouthed the spell, then looked up to see other students' attempted for what she might expect the spell to look like.

At the front of the line, she picked her dueling stance and raised her wand. "Expelliarmus!".

”QUOTING”

I am built with paper, made to soar in the sky.
I am always looking for an adventure.
It does not matter where the breeze will carry me.
I shall glide on along to see what there's to be.
♫♪
"Paper Plane's Adventure" by V.K. Lyrics by Tanoshibe on YouTube

addaellis

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads.

If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the second years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what a knock-back jinx accomplishes? The curriculum has undergone some changes over the years, but you should have mastered that spell last year."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ________
RODRICK.ROSS _____
Gryffindor, Second Year ___
════════════════════
__

Rodrick didn't want to be late to this class; he was rather intimidated by the professor. But that did not mean he wanted to be first! Rodrick gave a nervous smile to the professor and plopped down into the first seat he could find. He didn't know what they would be doing on the first day back—besides introductions of course—so he didn't bother to pull out his textbooks, or his wand, or anything really, while he sat and waited for the classroom to fill up and the lesson to start. ”Flipendo pushes back your target; it's helpful in dueling.” he said.

╔═════════════════════════╗
【WHEN:: Tuesday, 11:00-11:45AM, Fall 2044
【WHERE:: DADA Class
【WITH WHO:: Second Years
╚═════════════════════════╝

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:36 am
User Image
AUGUST TANZIL MEYLIAN LI
second year || Slytherin || muggleborn
Daily Dragon writer || Language club || Quidditch Announcer

DADA wasn't August's best or favorite subject--not that anything besides Flying and Herbology had really given him any trouble yet--but he did really like and respect Professor Cohen and the best way he knew to demonstrate that respect was to do well in her class. It also meant he shouldn't be late, even if it was because he was studying.

In any case, he slipped into a conveniently empty seat and quietly took out notebook and quill. He was quite grateful she started with a review as well-- August had of course reviewed and previewed like a madman his last few weeks of vacation, but that didn't mean he didn't appreciate a review.

He nodded along, supporting what Rodrick said before raising his hand and adding to his friend's answer: "Outside of dueling Flipendo can also be used to knock over or break objects, depending on how durable they are."

User ImageUser ImageUser Image  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was discussing something with an older Gryffindor and older Slytherin, possibly sixth or seventh years, when the second years arrived for class. After they had sat down she stepped to the front of the room to start the lesson. "Today you'll be learning the Tickling Charm, which is about as ridiculous as it sounds, and usually only used in duels. But it may prove handy in some odd situation one day, so here we are. This is Corbin," the boy waved awkwardly, "And Kiera," the girl smiled, "Who have agreed to be guinea pigs for this lesson."

Fanchon drew her wand. "The effects of the tickling charm are simple. It causes the target to double over in uncontrollable laughter, temporarily keeping them from casting any spells. Corbin?"

The blond boy stepped forward, drawing his wand as well. "Expell-,"

"Ric-tuh-SEM-pra!" Fanchon snapped, and he doubled over in wheezing laughter, holding his midsection as he tried to get a hold of himself. After a few moments the spell gradually wore off, and the older boy straightened back up, looking a little winded but no worse for the wear.

"As you can see, the light should be silver, and the movement goes like this:,"

"Now, I'd like two lines, and for each of you to have a go casting it on one of these two," she indicated the two teens with a jerk of her head.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Trickblues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 pm
User Image
User Image
You held me down, but I got up (hey!)
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, your hear that sound
Like thunder, gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready 'cause I had enough
I see it all, I see it now
Elizabeth Kaye Spektor
Pureblood | Gryffindor | Second Year | Twelve Years Old
Fall 2044 DADA With: Classmates
Wearing: School Robes Status: 'Topher might be a fun target, too...'

═══════════════════XXXX═══════════════════

‘Now this is my kind of spell,’ Lizzie found herself thinking as she doodled an art nouveau-esque frame around her DADA notes. Rictusembra, the tickling charm. She could think of a couple lads that could benefit from a good laugh. She glanced towards August, smiling mischievously as she twirled her quill between her fingers. ‘Auggie was pretty ticklish at the picnic last year… A prime practice target.’

Sadly, as it turned out, the professor expected them to practice on a pair of older students, taking half the fun out of the exercise. She sighed. “Well, there’s always after,” she murmured as she walked from the back of the room to join the line. When it was her turn, she decided to go after Corbin. “Rictusembra!” She cast, an amused smirk tugging at her lips as the boy doubled over once again in laughter. Poor bloke, Lizzie was certain he was going to bust a gut by the end of the class.

════════════════════════════════════════════════

OOC:
Username

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter
Dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
'Cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:33 pm
User Image
☽Aldrick✩Knapp☾
Gryffindor Second YearUser Image

▬▬ Make your life a masterpiece; ▬▬

Aldrick walked into class and sat down, and wrote down his lecture notes. He realized they would be casting the spell onto the older students. He shrugged, at least Lizzie wouldn't try casting it on him. He grinned, he could see her casting a look toward August, as if she was ready to make that kid laugh for once in his life. He walked up front, "Ric-tu-sem-pra" he said very diligently, a small light went out of his wand, and a chuckle was released, Oh well, at least he kind of made them laugh?

▬▬ imagine no limitations on what you can be, have, or do. ▬▬

Where: Class
With Whom: Second years
Aldrick Description: 4'8" Blond boy with gorgeous eyes.
Wearing: School Robes
OOC: Open for itneraction

Quote:

Quote:

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:09 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon looked fairly serious about today's lesson. "I expect," she said, once everyone was seated and quiet, "Diligent notes and strict observance during today's lesson. The disarming charm is one of the, if not the most, important spells you will ever learn during your time here. It has saved countless lives and for the more glory-seeking among us, won countless duels. Once your opponent loses their wand, in many cases, the fight is over. Of course, some people are highly skilled when it comes to wandless magic, but that's another matter entirely. My point is, do not laugh this lesson off, even if you don't think you'll ever need this spell, even if you're not good at this class. If you cannot master this, you should not be carrying a wand," she said sternly.

"Expelliarmus forces the target of the charm to release whatever they are holding, be it a wand, quill, knife... It is extremely common in duels, and has been since the fourteenth century, when, according to our good friend Miranda Goshawk, it was invented by Elizabeth Smudgling, who competed in an international dueling competition in Dartmoor in 1379. When it came down to her and one other wizard, she narrowly escaped death by disarming him with a charm unheard of before. She won the cup and was awarded the title of Supreme Dueler."

"Now, I want a line in front of me, and one by one, you all should attempt to disarm me. The light from your wand should be scarlet." Fanchon settled into a dueling stance, wand raised, and waited for the first brave volunteer. "Remember, it's ex-PELL-ee-ARE-muss."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads.

If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the second years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones. Can anyone," she scanned the room, "Tell me what a knock-back jinx accomplishes? The curriculum has undergone some changes over the years, but you should have mastered that spell last year."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:21 am
User Image
Canaan Grey
RavenclawSecond YearTwelve Years OldSingle

Canaan found this class to be a bit intimidating, and not particularly easy, though he took his studies seriously. He liked his teacher, and that helped him a bit as he tackled his classwork. Still, when the class started, he was ready to tuck into the review of material covered the previous term. He raised his hand, and waited to be acknowledged before giving an answer to her question. "Bonjou, madam. The, um... Knock-Back Jinx applies magical force to a subject to push it away from the caster, and possibly knock it down. Ah ... while it can be used on people, though it probably won't win you any duels." His explanation sounded a bit long-winded to his ear, but he wanted to prove he'd reviewed his notes over the summer.

OOC:
Username

User Image  
Second Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out