Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fourth Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts IV ~ *1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 am
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly.

As the fourth years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bon apremidi. Good afternoon," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." Fanchon scanned the class for a moment, before raising her wand. "Lustro circulus." A ring of crimson and gold fire encircled the front of the room. "You all should have learned how to end a spell last year. Ten house points to whoever can end this one."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffFourth YearFourteen Years OldSingle

There was no way Defense Against Dark Arts was ever going to be Katya's favourite class at Hogwarts, and if she had her druthers she'd avoid taking it altogether. It didn't help that when she really could have used some of what she learned in the class she either froze up entirely, or she couldn't cast a spell because she hadn't had her wand on her at that moment. When they were discussing her class plans for the future, she'd made the mistake of floating the idea of dropping DA after her OWLs. Her mother informed her she was to take it through NEWTs, no matter how squeamish she was on the subject.

With her schedule being what it was, it was easy for Katya to get to class on-time, and be ready to start taking notes. She wasn't happy she'd need to stay up late for her Astronomy class, but that was another matter. Unlike her older sister, she was perfectly content not being in the front row, although she raised her hand when the chance to earn House points came up.

After she watched the professor create a real pretty circle of red and gold magical fire, Katya raised her hand and waited to be acknowledged before coming up front to take a crack at dispelling it. Drawing out her wand, she gestured and said aloud, "Finite Incantatem!" in a clear voice. The circle of flame rippled like water before flickering and going out.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Black clouds are behind me, I now can see ahead
                  Often I wonder why I try hoping for an end
                  Sorrow weighs my shoulders down
                  And trouble haunts my mind
                  But I know the present will not last
                  And tomorrow will be kinder

Tomorrow will be kinder
                  It's true, I've seen it before
                  A brighter day is coming my way"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat on top of her desk, rather casually, and didn't feel it was inappropriate, seeing how this lesson involved hexes, which technically, the students weren't even allowed to be casting. They only learned this spell because the rest of the world was nowhere near so gentle. The classroom itself appeared to be devoid of anything, aside from her desk, herself, and her cat. The board seemed to have vanished, as had the windows, desks, and chairs.

"Bon apremidi," she greeted the students as they entered. "I'm not quite allowed to hex you, so this is my solution to help you still learn how to deflect them. I've cast a bedazzling hex on nearly everything in this room, as you can see, and it's going to take all of you to collectively reveal everything, especially if you would like to sit down at some point."

The Haitian slid nimbly off her desk and approached where the board ought to have been, wand aloft, opposite hand outstretched, palm facing outward. "SAL-vee-oh HEK-see-uh," she cast calmly, and a watery sort of haze washed over immediate area, revealing the blackboard. "Just like that. Proceed."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:13 pm
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffFourth YearFourteen Years OldSingle

Katya knew something was odd when all she saw was Madam Cohen, her desk and and her cat in a room literally devoid of everything else."Bon apremidi, Madam Professeur," she said politely, when she walked into the classroom and looked around. "Where'd everything go?"

As class began, she realized today's lesson was an exercise in team-building as well as discovering how well everyone else studied for this class. Copying the gestures made by the teacher, she tried to cast the counter-curse on a particular patch of blank area, and it took her three tries before she was rewarded with a ripple appearing in midair along with a watery haze revealing a small bit of the floor. Katya breathed a despairing small sigh as she looked around at all the rest of the nothing remaining, and hoped her classmates were having better luck.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                  "Black clouds are behind me, I now can see ahead
                  Often I wonder why I try hoping for an end
                  Sorrow weighs my shoulders down
                  And trouble haunts my mind
                  But I know the present will not last
                  And tomorrow will be kinder

Tomorrow will be kinder
                  It's true, I've seen it before
                  A brighter day is coming my way"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat at her desk, talking with two older students, a Ravenclaw boy and a Hufflepuff girl, one of whom was petting a napping Jacques, as the fourth years came in. After another moment or so she stood up and strode to the front, the two following her. "Bon apremidi, everyone. Today you will be learning the Tongue-Tying Charm, which is technically a curse," she smirked a little. "The purpose of the spell is to prevent the target from speaking, which, as you can imagine, can be very useful when someone is attempting to attack you. However, it is not a terribly advanced spell, and you may find the Silencing Charm more effective. But it's good in a pinch." The Haitian nodded to the two students on either side of her. "This is Quentin and Therese, who volunteered to help us today." She looked to the Hufflepuff. "Therese?"

The dark-haired girl stepped towards her, drawing her wand. "Petrifi-,"

"Mimble wimble," Fanchon said clearly, moving her wand in a complex looping form:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The girl immediately went silent, a hand flying up to her mouth out of instinct, and after a few moments, coughed a little as she regained the ability to speak.

"The light should be blue, as you just saw," the professor continued, "And the wand movement is the hardest thing to master. Some side effects of the spell can include stammering and occasionally retching, but it shouldn't cause any undue harm. Two lines please; the only people you should be directing this at are my two volunteers."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:34 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly.

As the fourth years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bon apremidi. Good afternoon," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." Fanchon scanned the class for a moment, before raising her wand. "Lustro circulus." A ring of crimson and gold fire encircled the front of the room. "You all should have learned how to end a spell last year. Ten house points to whoever can end this one."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:15 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat on top of her desk, rather casually, and didn't feel it was inappropriate, seeing how this lesson involved hexes, which technically, the students weren't even allowed to be casting. They only learned this spell because the rest of the world was nowhere near so gentle. The classroom itself appeared to be devoid of anything, aside from her desk, herself, and her cat. The board seemed to have vanished, as had the windows, desks, and chairs.

"Bon apremidi," she greeted the students as they entered. "I'm not quite allowed to hex you, so this is my solution to help you still learn how to deflect them. I've cast a bedazzling hex on nearly everything in this room, as you can see, and it's going to take all of you to collectively reveal everything, especially if you would like to sit down at some point."

The Haitian slid nimbly off her desk and approached where the board ought to have been, wand aloft, opposite hand outstretched, palm facing outward. "SAL-vee-oh HEK-see-uh," she cast calmly, and a watery sort of haze washed over immediate area, revealing the blackboard. "Just like that. Proceed."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:43 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat at her desk, talking with two older students, a Ravenclaw boy and a Hufflepuff girl, one of whom was petting a napping Jacques, as the fourth years came in. After another moment or so she stood up and strode to the front, the two following her. "Bon apremidi, everyone. Today you will be learning the Tongue-Tying Charm, which is technically a curse," she smirked a little. "The purpose of the spell is to prevent the target from speaking, which, as you can imagine, can be very useful when someone is attempting to attack you. However, it is not a terribly advanced spell, and you may find the Silencing Charm more effective. But it's good in a pinch." The Haitian nodded to the two students on either side of her. "This is Quentin and Therese, who volunteered to help us today." She looked to the Hufflepuff. "Therese?"

The dark-haired girl stepped towards her, drawing her wand. "Petrifi-,"

"Mimble wimble," Fanchon said clearly, moving her wand in a complex looping form:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The girl immediately went silent, a hand flying up to her mouth out of instinct, and after a few moments, coughed a little as she regained the ability to speak.

"The light should be blue, as you just saw," the professor continued, "And the wand movement is the hardest thing to master. Some side effects of the spell can include stammering and occasionally retching, but it shouldn't cause any undue harm. Two lines please; the only people you should be directing this at are my two volunteers."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:49 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:36 pm
User Image
❃Vespera❃Salazar❃
User ImageFourth Year SlytherinUser Image

▬▬"People may tell me I mean a lot to them and I'm special to them,"▬▬

Vespera went to class and sat in the back row as per usual. She opened her notebook and wrote in that it was lesson one, and a review lesson. When Professor Cohen told them they should end the spell Vespera wrote in her notebook
DADA 4 lesson 1: Review
Finite Incatatem ~ Ends a spell

She then sat and waited for one of her other classmates, probably a Ravenclaw, to give the answer and cancel the ring of fire around the room. Vespera could have done it, but it was simpler to just not talk in this class. She frowned to herself, wishing she had Lyra, but Lyra didn't do well having to stay stuck in the classrooms for an hour, at least Ves had gotten to spend all morning with her crup.

▬▬ "But I know there's someone they will always choose over me." ▬▬

Where: DADA
With Whom: Fourth Years
Thinking about: It's a class... that is had.
Vespera Description: Short 4'8", blond hair, green eyes and obvious loss of tan from previous years.
Wearing:School Robes
OOC: Open for Interaction

_____

_____

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:46 am

User Image♪♫
SONORAxxxMEYLINGxxxLI

fourth year || Ravenclaw || halfblood
Music club || Quidditch reserve || Dueling Club
irregular attendee of Astronomy and Adventuring Club

Sonora had spent most of the day hanging out in her hammock, reviewing last year's material and determining what had stuck through last year's skimming and the summer theory reviews. She'd been a little lonely, but at least she'd been productive. Astronomy tonight shouldn't be a disaster anyways.

DADA, in any case, was not one of the subjects Sona was worried about. She got there early, hoping to talk to her friends before class.

When class started, she set her notes down and reached for her wand, knowing that Professor Cohen usually started the year with a review challenge. Cancelling! Of course, an essential cursebreaking spell. She did a double check around the room to make sure there weren't signs of other spells cast that might trigger inadvertent adventures. Then once Professor Cohen had finished speaking, she made the gesture and spoke clearly: "Finite Incantatum!"

User Image User Image User Image
At the end of a storm is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark
Walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
♫♪
"You'll Never Walk Alone" by Gerry and the Pacemakers, cover by Celtic Women

Fourth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff