Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts V ~ *Lesson 1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Julian Galaksylph

Festive Stylist

10,225 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:58 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
                                            「 2038-37 」
                                            I don't like my mind right now, stacking up problems that are so unnecessary.
                                            Wish that I could slow things down, I wanna let go but there's comfort in the panic.
                                            You say that I'm paranoid, but I'm pretty sure the world is out to get me.
                                            It's not like I make the choice to let my mind stay so ******** messy!
                                            I know I'm not the center of the universe, but you keep spinning round me just the same...

·⊕· 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔱 𝔐𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔪𝔢𝔯
                                                                          ( PurebloodFifth Year SlytherinPrefect )

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Garnet wanted to like this class, but apparently his magic suggests that he was supposed to be a lover and not a fighter. But still, how will he stay alive if he didn't work hard in this class? And that's why he had been practicing spells in his free time, praying that his hard work will probably pay off more than just natural talent. He didn't get Slytherin for no reason, after all. When it was finally his turn to perform the spell, he stiffened and quickly slashed his wand downward. He narrowly blocked the spell, but his shield was weaker that Garnet flinched and took a step back. "... At least my wand's still in my hand, narrowly."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
                                            « with [classmates] at [DADA V] »

And I drive myself crazy, thinking everything's about me.
                                            Yeah, I drive myself crazy because I can't escape the gravity.
                                            I'm holding on, why is everything so heavy?
                                            Holding on to so much more than I can carry!
                                            I keep dragging around what's bringing me down;
                                            If I just let go, I'd be set free.
                                            Holding on, why is everything so heavy?

Out of Character ◀◀xxx
                                            ((additional info under spoiler))

( PERSONAL FILESOUTFITSIGNATURE SONG )

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:08 am
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon sat in her chair, Jacques asleep in her lap, as the fifth years came in. "Bonjou," she said dryly, from her position. "Today you'll be learning the Oppugno Jinx. It's very simple to learn and even simpler to cast, but since I don't want anyone getting any concussions, please clear your desks of everything but the stack of papers I put on each one." With a small groan she heaved the cat off her lap and onto the floor, while he meowed in indignation. "Oh-PUG-noh," she said calmly, pointing her wand at her desk, and the papers scattered across it flew up in a swirling mini-storm, before finally drifting back down. "The purpose of this spell is to attack someone else with objects, such as papers, pebbles from the ground, etc. It's helpful when you're being pursued, because all you need to do is point. I'd like to see a lot of papers in the air, starting.... now."

OOC:
Username

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the fifth years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." Fanchon scanned the class for a moment, before smirking just the tiniest bit. "Ten house points to whoever can demonstrate a proper stunning spell and send it my way."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:12 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon stood at the front of the room, waiting patiently as the fifth years filed in and took their seats, before starting her lecture. "The shield charm is one of the most important spells you will ever learn as a witch or wizard, so any nonsense, and I'll be handing out detentions like sweets, is that clear?" She studied them for a moment, before continuing. "You'd be shocked at the number of adult witches and wizards who still cannot properly cast this spell. I have no idea why you wouldn't practice it frequently, as it protects against every spell we know of, besides, of course, the Killing Curse. It also deflects objects, and can be cast on both people and entire areas. It often causes spells that bounce off the shield to ricochet or backfire, so if you see someone use it, I would get out of the area as soon as possible." The Haitian woman smiled grimly.

"The Shield Charm gives off no light, and is invisible, except when being hit with other spells. There are several more advanced variations of it, but we will be learning the simplest version. Someone fire off a spell at me, please." Fanchon waited impatiently until a rather timid 'expelliarmus' was heard, and slashed downward with her wand, "Pro-TAY-goh.". The weak disarming charm bounced off the shield harmlessly. "I'm just going to try to disarm you, one by one, so let's see those shields, then. Remember, downward slash."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her chair, Jacques asleep in her lap, as the fifth years came in. "Bonjou," she said dryly, from her position. "Today you'll be learning the Oppugno Jinx. It's very simple to learn and even simpler to cast, but since I don't want anyone getting any concussions, please clear your desks of everything but the stack of papers I put on each one." With a small groan she heaved the cat off her lap and onto the floor, while he meowed in indignation. "Oh-PUG-noh," she said calmly, pointing her wand at her desk, and the papers scattered across it flew up in a swirling mini-storm, before finally drifting back down. "The purpose of this spell is to attack someone else with objects, such as papers, pebbles from the ground, etc. It's helpful when you're being pursued, because all you need to do is point. I'd like to see a lot of papers in the air, starting.... now."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon leaned back against her desk, legs crossed in front of her, and began her lecture. "An inferi is a corpse re-animated by powerful dark magic, created through the branch as magic known as necromancy. An inferius looks like a gaunt, skeletal body, with cloudy white eyes. They are not truly alive, just used as puppets by the dark wizard or witch who raised them. Inferi are much stronger dead than they would have been alive, and are immune to physical damage or hurt. They can be quite fast and are exceptionally dangerous in a group. They can only be destroyed by fire, and despise light. Gellert Grindelwald infamously sought to create an army of Inferi with the Resurrection Stone, although he was misled as to the nature of the stone's powers- it doesn't bring back physical bodies, but rather souls. During the First Wizarding War Voldemort created an Inferi army of his victims, and used Inferi to guard one of his horcruxes during the Second Wizarding World War. In 2014 at the Wizarding World Cup, Inferi attacked crowds at the opening ceremonies, resulting in mass casualties, and the Haitian team was found to be behind the attack." Although her expression was still very composed, she did look a bit annoyed about that.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly. As the fifth years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am Fanchon Cohen, and I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." Fanchon scanned the class for a moment, before smirking just the tiniest bit. "Ten house points to whoever can demonstrate a proper stunning spell and send it my way."

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:50 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon stood at the front of the room, waiting patiently as the fifth years filed in and took their seats, before starting her lecture. "The shield charm is one of the most important spells you will ever learn as a witch or wizard, so any nonsense, and I'll be handing out detentions like sweets, is that clear?" She studied them for a moment, before continuing. "You'd be shocked at the number of adult witches and wizards who still cannot properly cast this spell. I have no idea why you wouldn't practice it frequently, as it protects against every spell we know of, besides, of course, the Killing Curse. It also deflects objects, and can be cast on both people and entire areas. It often causes spells that bounce off the shield to ricochet or backfire, so if you see someone use it, I would get out of the area as soon as possible." The Haitian woman smiled grimly.

"The Shield Charm gives off no light, and is invisible, except when being hit with other spells. There are several more advanced variations of it, but we will be learning the simplest version. Someone fire off a spell at me, please." Fanchon waited impatiently until a rather timid 'expelliarmus' was heard, and slashed downward with her wand, "Pro-TAY-goh.". The weak disarming charm bounced off the shield harmlessly. "I'm just going to try to disarm you, one by one, so let's see those shields, then. Remember, downward slash."

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 pm

FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon leaned back against her desk, legs crossed in front of her, and began her lecture. "An inferi is a corpse re-animated by powerful dark magic, created through the branch as magic known as necromancy. An inferius looks like a gaunt, skeletal body, with cloudy white eyes. They are not truly alive, just used as puppets by the dark wizard or witch who raised them. Inferi are much stronger dead than they would have been alive, and are immune to physical damage or hurt. They can be quite fast and are exceptionally dangerous in a group. They can only be destroyed by fire, and despise light. Gellert Grindelwald infamously sought to create an army of Inferi with the Resurrection Stone, although he was misled as to the nature of the stone's powers- it doesn't bring back physical bodies, but rather souls. During the First Wizarding War Voldemort created an Inferi army of his victims, and used Inferi to guard one of his horcruxes during the Second Wizarding World War. In 2014 at the Wizarding World Cup, Inferi attacked crowds at the opening ceremonies, resulting in mass casualties, and the Haitian team was found to be behind the attack." Although her expression was still very composed, she did look a bit annoyed about that.

OOC:
Username

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:24 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:34 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna
Slytherin PrefectFifth YearFifteen Years OldSingle
Dueling Club Captain

With the coming of OWLs, and after the incident in Coventry, Faina planned to pay particular attention in Madam Cohen's class. As she'd always told herself, nobody else would be running to her aid if she needed it, so she needed to be able to protect herself and her family if need arose. She'd been studying her class material over the summer in her efforts to be ready for OWLs, so she felt reasonably sure of her skills when she arrived for the start of class.

She greeted her teacher in French, as she customarily did at the start of class before sitting down and getting prepared. Being the Captain of the Dueling Club she made sure she was ready to volunteer when Professor Cohen called upon anyone willing to try shooting a spell at her. Only after being acknowledged, Faina stood up, stepped away from her desk and bowed formally, as though this were an actual duel, before taking up a position. Gesturing vertically with her wand, and intoning, "Stupefy!" A jet of scarlet light erupted from the tip of her wand toward her teacher.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                      "And you ask me what I want this year
                      And I try to make this kind and clear
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
                      Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
                      And desire and love and empty things
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days."

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna
Slytherin PrefectFifth YearFifteen Years OldSingle
Dueling Club Captain

'What I wouldn't have given to have access to this spell last summer,' thought Faina feelingly, as she took notes on the subject of the Shield Spell. Though she probably still would have chosen to run rather than attempt to trade spells with the thugs, at least she could have cast a magical shield over her sister and herself rather than be completely defenseless. 'It certainly would be handy to have when dueling,' she noted to herself.

The Fifth Year paid close attention to the professor's wandwork, when somebody tried a rather pathetic excuse for a Disarming Charm, knowing she needed to do well with this herself. When the time came, she did her best to emulate Professor Cohen's wand movement, and pronunciation of the incantation.

OOC:
Username

User Image
                      "And you ask me what I want this year
                      And I try to make this kind and clear
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
                      Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
                      And desire and love and empty things
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days."

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:01 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:
Username

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff