Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Sixth Year Classes
Defense Against the Dark Arts VI ~ *1/5* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna
Slytherin PrefectSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingle
Dueling Club Captain

Faina took her usual due diligence in making sure she got to Madam Cohen's class in plenty of time to have a front row seat. She wanted her teacher to know in no uncertain terms she was serious in her studies, and willing to volunteer for whatever came up. She'd been studying her class materials over the summer, even though OWLs were done and over with, so she wouldn't, hopefully, lose much of her touch due to the layover. As OWLs were done, the real preparations for NEWTs, and what lay beyond, started now.

The Sixth Year was pleased to know she would likely have Madam Cohen for the whole of her career here, as she liked and trusted her professor, and agreed with much of her stated positions. She gave a slight smile, as the professor started the class with a practical test. As the teacher attempted to disarm her, Faina gestured with the tip of her wand, and intoned, "Protego!"

OOC:
Username

Taken by Lucien Markov

User Image
                      "And you ask me what I want this year
                      And I try to make this kind and clear
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
                      Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
                      And desire and love and empty things
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 am
When everything turns to black,
You don't know where to go...
You need something to justify your soul.
Silence is broken, confidence is gone;
Everything you're holding onto falls.

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Professor of DADA │ Muggleborn │ Haitian

Fanchon looked very serious, even for a usually stoic individual, as class began. "I am warning you now that this lesson will be entirely lecture, and I want to see notes taken. For obvious reasons, we won't be having any demonstrations today," she nodded to the board, where UNFORGIVABLE CURSES was written in neat penmanship. "Some instructors would disagree with me. I could bring in insects, or small animals like mice or rats, and use them to show you how to kill, torture, or mentally warp living beings, because many of you will see at least one of these curses in action over the course of your life, if you have not already. I'm not going to, because I don't hold with that. You need to learn how they work and what they do, and maybe one or two of you will at some point use one and end up in Azkaban for your trouble, but that's really not the point."

She stood up coolly, and approached the board. "In Haiti we call these curses madichon yo enpardonabl. The British magical government deemed them so in 1717, and nearly every other magical government has followed suit, I imagine. Here in the United Kingdom, if you are found to have cast one on another human, be they magical or muggle, you will spend the rest of your life in Azkaban, which, although no longer staffed by dementors, is not a very pleasant place, I hear."

"During the First Wizarding War, Aurors were given permission to use these curses because of how brutal the fighting had become. When Voldemort took power briefly during the Second Wizarding War, they were made legal, not that them being highly illegal ever stopped anyone from using one,"
she commented dryly. "That was, of course, repealed following the destruction of him and the majority of his followers. Unlike other curses, the Unforgivables are very, very difficult to cast. You need an extraordinary amount of both willpower and skill to successfully do so, which is why we don't see every common criminal using them left and right."

"The Killing Curse, perhaps the most well-known, causes instant death. It is known for blinding green light, which, while it can be dodged, cannot be shielded against. Once the spell makes contact, the target dies instantly. Muggles would not be able to find a cause of death, because there would be none. However, the Ministry has grown adept at recognizing the signs- or well, lack of signs- of a killing curse. There is no counter-curse for the Killing Curse, but it can hit phsyical objects like walls or doors and cause them to explode, and it has been known to ricochet off of things, hitting someone completely different from the intended target. Obviously, the only person we recognize as having ever survived the Killing Curse is one Mr. Potter, although Voldemort was said to have survived it as well, due to his use of horcruxes."

"The Cruciatus Curse inflicts excruciating pain on the target, typically in a bright red light. It was favored heavily by Death Eaters during both wars, and is generally regarded as one of the most sadistic spells we know of, as in order to cast it properly, you have to want to cause pain for the sake of pain. Obviously, the vast majority of its casters have not been the most mentally and emotionally stable of people. It has been known to send people into permanent insanity, after being tortured with it for so long. It is the only Unforgivable Curse I have ever personally had used on me, and I can tell you firsthand that no matter how much you think you hate someone, you wouldn't wish that sort of pain on your worst enemy."

"Finally, we have the Imperius Curse, which is often mistaken as being the lesser of the three curses, as it does not physically harm the target. However, it is likely the most sinister of all three. The Imperius Curse places the target in a dream-like, mollified state, where they calmly do the bidding of caster, no matter what that might be. Those who have been afflicted with it have described it as almost a sense of release, a sort of sickly high, if you will, as they feel no responsibility whatsoever for their own actions, at least not until the curse is removed. This curse has been used to make otherwise good people do horrible things, but it has also, rather conveniently, helped quite a few people escape punishment for their actions, as it's difficult to prove whether or not someone was under its influence. It can be resisted, but that is extremely rare, and very hard to do without overcoming repeated exposure to it. I believe Ministry law enforcement is trained in at least attempting to break out of it, but one has to have a very strong sense of self and incredible endurance to do so."

OOC:

All the people selling truths on every corner now-
They wait until the fear has knocked you down.
All the rules are changing now; you're living in sin...
Everything around you is caving in; all you're holding onto-
Is slipping like water through your hands.

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna
Dueling Club Captain

This was one class Faina was definitely interested in having a good seat for. Not that she was interested in seeing Unforgivable Curses demonstrated (and she would honestly be shocked if Madam Cohen put on such a presentation), but because she knew this was the sort of stuff she'd likely be dealing with if she managed to get on at the Ministry as an Auror. As was her wont, she got there as early as she could manage, and had her notebook out and ready before class started. Faina was taking careful notes as the professor gave her lecture, as she normally did.

She was quietly appalled at the idea that Aurors had been given dispensation to use these curses themselves in order to combat Voldemort and his minions, but she could understand why it was done. It was war, and the fate of their social order was in the balance, so they were forced to use the enemy's methods against the enemy. She was glad to know Aurors weren't allowed to use such methods anymore, though. Faina also took notice of Madam Cohen's comments about having been targeted with a Cruciatus, as there had to be some kind of story behind that, and how Aurors got some training in resisting the Imperius Curse. Not for the first time, she wondered what Madam Cohen did before coming to Hogwarts.

OOC:
Username

Taken by Lucien Markov

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was in a hurry to get to the actual patronus-casting, but first she needed to lecture on Dementors, which was never the most pleasant topic. At least it was better than Inferi. Disgusting things. She stood restlessly at the front, waiting for the class to take their seats and settle into note-taking mode. At least, she hoped they were taking notes. If not, oh well. It wasn't exactly her problem. Jacques prowled around her legs, looking like he was on the hunt for something. "Dementors," she began, "Are sentient non-beings that cannot die, as they were never born to begin with. They stand about 3 metres in height, or nearly 10 feet. Their skin is grey, and they have no eyes. They hover, much like ghosts or spirits, rather than walk, and are commonly said to look like wraiths, or perhaps the Grim Reaper, if you are familiar with that folklore."

"Dementors, to put it simply, feed off human happiness and joy. Everything they are in the presence of feels dark and negative, and anyone near a Dementor will be overcome by thoughts of despair and depression. If a Dementor gets close enough, it will attempt to suck out your soul, leaving you in a permanent, hollow, vegetative state. This is referred to as the Dementor's Kiss, and used to be used as a punishment for the worst of the worst criminals at Azkaban, which, as many of you know, was guarded by Dementors up until the late 1990s. However, they aligned themselves with Voldemort and the Death Eaters during the Second Wizarding War, for obvious reasons, and helped him to take over the Ministry of Magic. Therefore, the British magical government has vowed to never use them again."

"Dementors are blind; they sense positive human emotions, and seek them out to feed off of. They cannot really tell the difference between a human and an animal, for example, and in general, I doubt they care, so long as there is something for them to feed off of. The only thing that can repel a Dementor is the Patronus Charm, which we will learn about next class." She returned to her desk as the lesson ended, Jacques at her heels.

OOC:

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:47 am
User Image
Faina Patrovna
Dueling Club Captain

Faina was in the front row, as she usually was, ready to take down notes as the class began. The subject of Dementors wasn't a pleasant one, but then dark creatures generally weren't anyway. She was quietly horrified at what these did, and the idea of using them as prison guards was also revolting. After the lecture, Faina raised her hand, and asked, "Professor? Are Dementors related in anyway to Boggarts, they seem to have some commonalities. Also, what was done with the Dementors after the War?"

OOC:
Username

Taken by Lucien Markov

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:55 pm

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly.

As the sixth years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." Fanchon scanned the class for a moment, before smirking just the tiniest bit. "I'm going to attempt to disarm you, one by one. I want to see each of you shield against my spell." She looked to whoever was closest, starting with the front row. "Expelliarmus!"

OOC:

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon looked very serious, even for a usually stoic individual, as class began. "I am warning you now that this lesson will be entirely lecture, and I want to see notes taken. For obvious reasons, we won't be having any demonstrations today,"[/color[ she nodded to the board, where UNFORGIVABLE CURSES was written in neat penmanship. "Some instructors would disagree with me. I could bring in insects, or small animals like mice or rats, and use them to show you how to kill, torture, or mentally warp living beings, because many of you will see at least one of these curses in action over the course of your life, if you have not already. I'm not going to, because I don't hold with that. You need to learn how they work and what they do, and maybe one or two of you will at some point use one and end up in Azkaban for your trouble, but that's really not the point."

She stood up coolly, and approached the board. "In Haiti we call these curses madichon yo enpardonabl. The British magical government deemed them so in 1717, and nearly every other magical government has followed suit, I imagine. Here in the United Kingdom, if you are found to have cast one on another human, be they magical or muggle, you will spend the rest of your life in Azkaban, which, although no longer staffed by dementors, is not a very pleasant place, I hear."

"During the First Wizarding War, Aurors were given permission to use these curses because of how brutal the fighting had become. When Voldemort took power briefly during the Second Wizarding War, they were made legal, not that them being highly illegal ever stopped anyone from using one,"
she commented dryly. "That was, of course, repealed following the destruction of him and the majority of his followers. Unlike other curses, the Unforgivables are very, very difficult to cast. You need an extraordinary amount of both willpower and skill to successfully do so, which is why we don't see every common criminal using them left and right."

"The Killing Curse, perhaps the most well-known, causes instant death. It is known for blinding green light, which, while it can be dodged, cannot be shielded against. Once the spell makes contact, the target dies instantly. Muggles would not be able to find a cause of death, because there would be none. However, the Ministry has grown adept at recognizing the signs- or well, lack of signs- of a killing curse. There is no counter-curse for the Killing Curse, but it can hit phsyical objects like walls or doors and cause them to explode, and it has been known to ricochet off of things, hitting someone completely different from the intended target. Obviously, the only person we recognize as having ever survived the Killing Curse is one Mr. Potter, although Voldemort was said to have survived it as well, due to his use of horcruxes."

"The Cruciatus Curse inflicts excruciating pain on the target, typically in a bright red light. It was favored heavily by Death Eaters during both wars, and is generally regarded as one of the most sadistic spells we know of, as in order to cast it properly, you have to want to cause pain for the sake of pain. Obviously, the vast majority of its casters have not been the most mentally and emotionally stable of people. It has been known to send people into permanent insanity, after being tortured with it for so long. It is the only Unforgivable Curse I have ever personally had used on me, and I can tell you firsthand that no matter how much you think you hate someone, you wouldn't wish that sort of pain on your worst enemy."

"Finally, we have the Imperius Curse, which is often mistaken as being the lesser of the three curses, as it does not physically harm the target. However, it is likely the most sinister of all three. The Imperius Curse places the target in a dream-like, mollified state, where they calmly do the bidding of caster, no matter what that might be. Those who have been afflicted with it have described it as almost a sense of release, a sort of sickly high, if you will, as they feel no responsibility whatsoever for their own actions, at least not until the curse is removed. This curse has been used to make otherwise good people do horrible things, but it has also, rather conveniently, helped quite a few people escape punishment for their actions, as it's difficult to prove whether or not someone was under its influence. It can be resisted, but that is extremely rare, and very hard to do without overcoming repeated exposure to it. I believe Ministry law enforcement is trained in at least attempting to break out of it, but one has to have a very strong sense of self and incredible endurance to do so."

OOC:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon was in a hurry to get to the actual patronus-casting, but first she needed to lecture on Dementors, which was never the most pleasant topic. At least it was better than Inferi. Disgusting things. She stood restlessly at the front, waiting for the class to take their seats and settle into note-taking mode. At least, she hoped they were taking notes. If not, oh well. It wasn't exactly her problem. Jacques prowled around her legs, looking like he was on the hunt for something. "Dementors," she began, "Are sentient non-beings that cannot die, as they were never born to begin with. They stand about 3 metres in height, or nearly 10 feet. Their skin is grey, and they have no eyes. They hover, much like ghosts or spirits, rather than walk, and are commonly said to look like wraiths, or perhaps the Grim Reaper, if you are familiar with that folklore."

"Dementors, to put it simply, feed off human happiness and joy. Everything they are in the presence of feels dark and negative, and anyone near a Dementor will be overcome by thoughts of despair and depression. If a Dementor gets close enough, it will attempt to suck out your soul, leaving you in a permanent, hollow, vegetative state. This is referred to as the Dementor's Kiss, and used to be used as a punishment for the worst of the worst criminals at Azkaban, which, as many of you know, was guarded by Dementors up until the late 1990s. However, they aligned themselves with Voldemort and the Death Eaters during the Second Wizarding War, for obvious reasons, and helped him to take over the Ministry of Magic. Therefore, the British magical government has vowed to never use them again."

"Dementors are blind; they sense positive human emotions, and seek them out to feed off of. They cannot really tell the difference between a human and an animal, for example, and in general, I doubt they care, so long as there is something for them to feed off of. The only thing that can repel a Dementor is the Patronus Charm, which we will learn about next class." She returned to her desk as the lesson ended, Jacques at her heels.

OOC:

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon sat in her very comfortable chair, stroking Jacques, her cat, curled up in her lap, as though she were a Bond villain, and gave the room one final once over. She had enough tables and chairs to fit everyone, she'd made sure the room was spotless, in case anyone had any dust allergies, and she'd tried to make it.... if not quite welcoming, at least slightly less intimidating, although that was a bit difficult when the decor of the room literally included a giant skeleton of some magical beast suspended above the class. Ah well. They'd have to get used to Hogwarts's quirks at some point, and DADA was a notoriously challenging class, although not quite to the level of say, Transfiguration or Potions. However, it was extremely important, and if she had her way, she'd make it mandatory for all seven years. Alas, she could not have her way, so she only had five years to drill as much knowledge as possible through their hairy little heads. If she could make sure all of them could cast a proper shield charm, patronus, disarm someone, and defeat a boggart, she'd be happy. It would raise their life expectancy significantly.

As the sixth years filtered into the room, she observed them stoically, not rising from her seat (and disturbing Jacques' nap) until everyone had taken their seats and were (mostly) quiet. "Bonjou. Good morning," she translated calmly, confident that her accent, while strong, was not an excuse for them to not listen. "I am responsible for ensuring that all of you can recognize dark magic, and properly defend yourselves against it. My rules are written on the board. Follow them, don't follow them, it's your choice. This class is largely about choices. I'm here to demonstrate to you how to make good ones." Fanchon scanned the class for a moment, before smirking just the tiniest bit. "I'm going to attempt to disarm you, one by one. I want to see each of you shield against my spell." She looked to whoever was closest, starting with the front row. "Expelliarmus!"

OOC:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:17 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

Fanchon looked very serious, even for a usually stoic individual, as class began. "I am warning you now that this lesson will be entirely lecture, and I want to see notes taken. For obvious reasons, we won't be having any demonstrations today," she nodded to the board, where UNFORGIVABLE CURSES was written in neat penmanship. "Some instructors would disagree with me. I could bring in insects, or small animals like mice or rats, and use them to show you how to kill, torture, or mentally warp living beings, because many of you will see at least one of these curses in action over the course of your life, if you have not already. I'm not going to, because I don't hold with that. You need to learn how they work and what they do, and maybe one or two of you will at some point use one and end up in Azkaban for your trouble, but that's really not the point."

OOC:

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:37 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:02 am

User Image
FA N C H O N
M A R I E
C O H E N

OOC:

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • The Wolf Within 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:15 am
User Image
Katya Patrovna
HufflepuffSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingle
Art Club Captain

To say Katya had a contentious relationship with the classwork in DADA would be an understatement, and she would have been quite content to drop it after barely scrapping by with an Acceptable in her OWL. However, her family insisted she continue through to the end of her schooling with it, as she needed to be able to protect herself. When she wasn't otherwise busy, her sister took it upon herself to tutor her, so she'd be ready for the start of term.

Now, she was starting her Sixth term, and she was determined to prove to herself she could be brave, and Katya swallowed hard as she raised her hand to volunteer to go first. Focusing herself, she drew out her wand, and attempted casting a Shield Charm to ward off the professor's Expelliarmus...

OOC:
Username

Taken by Cian Quinlan

User Image
                  "Black clouds are behind me, I now can see ahead
                  Often I wonder why I try hoping for an end
                  Sorrow weighs my shoulders down
                  And trouble haunts my mind
                  But I know the present will not last
                  And tomorrow will be kinder

Tomorrow will be kinder
                  It's true, I've seen it before