Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
Is It Time to Kiss Disney Goodbye?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Vizsla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:43 pm
by Ken Ham and Avery Foley

The emphasis on homosexuality in our culture has been growing steadily over the last few years. Various movies and TV shows have increasingly incorporated gay scenes or characters into their productions. So it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that Walt Disney Studios has added homosexuality into one of their cartoons. During an episode of the Disney XD children’s program, Star vs. The Forces of Evil, two men and later two women share a kiss during a song. This is reportedly the first gay kiss in a Disney production.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And it doesn’t stop there. The much-anticipated Beauty and the Beast, Disney’s live-action remake of the 1991 classic animated film, will have Disney’s “first ever ‘exclusively gay moment’ on film.” According to an interview with the film’s director, the story behind the 1991 version “inspired him to create a character who would break new ground when it comes to LGBT visibility on screen.” And that character is LeFou, the sidekick of the film’s main antagonist, the manly Gaston. The director says,

LeFou is somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston. . . . He’s confused about what he wants. It’s somebody who’s just realising that he has these feelings. And [the actor who plays LeFou] makes something really subtle and delicious out of it. And that’s what has its payoff at the end, which I don’t want to give away. But it is a nice, exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie.

This gay kiss and upcoming “gay moment” shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. After all, many Disney films are already filled with violence, sexual content and innuendo (often between people who are not married), cursing, blasphemy, witchcraft, and all sorts of other unbiblical behaviors that reflect the secular culture that we live in. This is simply another example to add to a long list of things that go against Scripture that are featured as normal in films.

And Disney isn’t a company that claims to base its thinking on God’s Word, so, in their thinking, if the culture praises and accepts homosexuality, why not add it to their films? It’s simply the natural progression of any secular company that has already rejected God’s Word and bases its thinking instead on the idea that man determines truth. Without the ultimate authority of God’s Word to define marriage and sexuality, why not feature a gay kiss or more?

While this is not unexpected, it is saddening. Disney is clearly pro-homosexual and has an agenda—to normalize such behavior. The editor-in-chief of Attitude the magazine (the UK’s best-selling and award-winning gay magazine) that revealed this upcoming “gay moment” said,

It may have been a long time coming but this is a watershed moment for Disney. . . . By representing same-sex attraction in this short but explicitly gay scene, the studio is sending out a message that this is normal and natural—and this is a message that will be heard in every country of the world, even countries where it’s still socially unacceptable or even illegal to be gay. . . .

It’s only a first step towards creating a cinematic world that reflects the one in which many of us are now proud to live. But it’s a step in the right direction and I applaud Disney for being brave enough to make it—and in doing so hopefully helping to change attitudes and bring about real social progress.

Sadly, this is exactly what Disney is trying to do: normalize sinful behavior, such as homosexuality, and change attitudes regarding it—starting with the next generation. Movie studios, such as Disney, have already done this successfully with other sinful forms of sexuality by slowly introducing them into films until things that would have shocked people in previous years hardly turn heads anymore. The Disney-owned ABC network includes some of the most blatant examples of homosexuals in television programs. But, regardless of how our culture feels or how movies portray them, these things are sinful because God’s Word says they are.

Franklin Graham, commenting on the gay kiss and upcoming “gay moment,” wrote on his Facebook page,

Disney has aired a cartoon with same-sex couples kissing. It has also been announced that their new movie Beauty and the Beast will feature a gay character in an attempt to normalize this lifestyle. They’re trying to push the LGBT agenda into the hearts of your children—watch out! Disney has the right to make their cartoons, it’s a free country. But as Christians we also have the right not to support their company. I hope Christians everywhere will say no to Disney. I met Walt Disney when I was a young boy—he was very gracious to me, my father Billy Graham, and my younger brother when we visited. He would be shocked at what has happened to the company that he started.

Disney is putting homosexuality into children’s shows and movies, like Beauty and the Beast, to indoctrinate children into celebrating and seeing homosexuality as normal. But, in fact, it is sinful and goes against God’s design for marriage and sexuality (Genesis 1:27; Romans 1: 24–27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Christian parents can use this situation to discuss, in an age appropriate way, biblical sexuality and marriage, affirming that God designed marriage to be between one man and one woman for life and that sex is God’s gift to married (and only married!) couples.

Instead of supporting Disney, Christians can take a stand and support family-friendly attractions that uphold the authority of God’s Word. This summer, plan your vacation here in Northern Kentucky and bring your kids and grandkids to see the full-size Noah’s Ark at Ark Encounter and the world-class Creation Museum.

Or head to Branson, Missouri, or Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to the Sight & Sound Theatre. This incredible theater company puts on fantastic original productions that creatively portray accounts from Scripture, such as those of Joseph, Moses, or, Jonah. (You can also see Jonah in movie theaters one day only, May 2, 2017).

Opening later this year in November is Museum of the Bible, in Washington, DC. Museum of the Bible has a rotating exhibit at the Creation Museum as well as a beautiful installation at the Ark Encounter.

Instead of supporting Disney, bring your family to one (or all!) of these world-class Christian attractions. During a recent Facebook Live video I filmed at the National Religious Broadcasters convention, I discussed Disney and promoted these Christian attractions, including an interview with a Sight & Sound representative.

So is it time to kiss Disney goodbye? Well, all Christians must judge for themselves, but as you consider this question, ponder this verse from God’s Word:

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (Philippians 4: cool  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:58 pm
Sorry in advance but at the moment, my pastors (and friend) is doing a sermon series which oddly enough, fits in with this heated topic.

Sure Disney is doing something for acceptance, but yet, we have planks in our eyes, and easily judge people, or companies for that matter, and I mean Christianity as a whole. Trust me, i get that plank a lot, and I know that a lot out there has their own planks. So, why are we so fixated with specks in others' eyes?

Have no idea what I mean by plank and speck, read this verse set.
"For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?…"
Matthew 7 v2-4 NIV

Though in the context that I am about to explain instead of the actual meaning of Hypocrite (why did that pop up google? why???), sadly, this is not what it means for Love God, Love Others. This is because we judge people when we are not suppose to do so, and that is a bad habit worldwide.

Sure, times are indeed changing, however, is it really up to us to judge, or prosecute for who THEY are? Also, why do we ALWAYS have to reference the Old Testament for stuff like this? God knows what's going on and accepts that community for who they are cause they are his children, like us, like it or not. And that is the reality today that most of us don't see.

I would like to remind you of this set of verses:
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12 v30-31 NIV

And yet, we keep breaking the that Second Great Commandment, because we have that plank in our eyes! Do you accept your family if they have done something wrong, or is part of something, or even part of the LGBT community? If not, you better have a good look at yourself, and if so, why aren't you doing the same thing in the community?

So if we want to Love God and Love others, take that plank out your eye, and start accepting people. God does, Jesus actually hanged out with sinners and accepts them, and if we are going to be Christlike, we have to accept and love others, no matter what their background is, or what they are doing now. And let God deal with the judging, yeah? Cause, no matter how hard you look, there is no verse in the Bible saying that we have authority to judge, and it's really hard not to judge (and please, don't take this out of context)

Ever heard of the saying or challenge: Hate the sin but love the sinner? Well I challenge EVERYONE who reads this comment to do that. And yes, I also mean the President of the US, no matter how thickheaded he is, he's still human. And I also challenge you to do the same with Disney. Cause at the day, who was the one who paved the way, died for us, and wants us to treat others as he did.

I advise that you take the plank out of your own eye first before you take the speck out of Disney's eye.  

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500

Lady Vizsla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:59 am
musasgal
Sorry in advance but at the moment, my pastors (and friend) is doing a sermon series which oddly enough, fits in with this heated topic.

Sure Disney is doing something for acceptance, but yet, we have planks in our eyes, and easily judge people, or companies for that matter, and I mean Christianity as a whole. Trust me, i get that plank a lot, and I know that a lot out there has their own planks. So, why are we so fixated with specks in others' eyes?

"For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?…"
Matthew 7 v2-4 NIV

Though in the context that I am about to explain instead of the actual meaning of Hypocrite (why did that pop up google? why???), sadly, this is not what it means for Love God, Love Others. This is because we judge people when we are not suppose to do so, and that is a bad habit worldwide.

Sure, times are indeed changing, however, is it really up to us to judge, or prosecute for who THEY are? Also, why do we ALWAYS have to reference the Old Testament for stuff like this? God knows what's going on and accepts that community for who they are cause they are his children, like us, like it or not. And that is the reality today that most of us don't see.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12 v30-31 NIV

And yet, we keep breaking the that Second Great Commandment, because we have that plank in our eyes! Do you accept your family if they have done something wrong, or is part of something, or even part of the LGBT community? If not, you better have a good look at yourself, and if so, why aren't you doing the same thing in the community?

So if we want to Love God and Love others, take that plank out your eye, and start accepting people. God does, Jesus actually hanged out with sinners and accepts them, and if we are going to be Christlike, we have to accept and love others, no matter what their background is, or what they are doing now. And let God deal with the judging, yeah? Cause, no matter how hard you look, there is no verse in the Bible saying that we have authority to judge, and it's really hard not to judge (and please, don't take this out of context)

Ever heard of the saying or challenge: Hate the sin but love the sinner? Well I challenge EVERYONE who reads this comment to do that. And yes, I also mean the President of the US, no matter how thickheaded he is, he's still human. And I also challenge you to do the same with Disney. Cause at the day, who was the one who paved the way, died for us, and wants us to treat others as he did.

I advise that you take the plank out of your own eye first before you take the speck out of Disney's eye.

I do not think the issue here is judgement of Disney or others. Judgement is God's occupation not ours. But we should not sit idly by while our brothers and sisters indulge in a lifestyle that God is against. If a Christian chooses not to support Disney for its glorification of specific sins, that is entirely in his/her right. While we all sin and fall short of God's glory, it should not prevent us as Christians for standing for what is right, and not giving in to the world's concept of what is right. And while Jesus did dine with sinners, He did not accept their sins as right, instead, He urged them to give up their wickedness and follow Him.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm
Lady Kariel
musasgal

Matthew 7 v2-4 NIV

Mark 12 v30-31 NIV

I do not think the issue here is judgement of Disney or others. Judgement is God's occupation not ours. But we should not sit idly by while our brothers and sisters indulge in a lifestyle that God is against. If a Christian chooses not to support Disney for its glorification of specific sins, that is entirely in his/her right. While we all sin and fall short of God's glory, it should not prevent us as Christians for standing for what is right, and not giving in to the world's concept of what is right. And while Jesus did dine with sinners, He did not accept their sins as right, instead, He urged them to give up their wickedness and follow Him.

True, but here's the thing. These days, this is reality, and I bet that God had this in mind for this day and age. He knows way ahead in advance than we do. Though it's a lifestyle that we disagree on, at least accept the person as they are, not because of that lifestyle. That's why I issued the challenge, Hate the sin, Love the sinner. We might disagree on person's actions, but we can still love them. Sure we can stand up and put our foot down on social issues, but when it comes to communities, is that really ok to break up that community because that's a part of who they are, even if they are our brothers and sisters in Christ?

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, I know that for sure (had to write this quickly before going to help out at a school singing group) but I know this for a fact that if this is what God intended to be, better than turning a bind eye, just pray for them so they can have a relationship with him.  

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500

OtakuKat

Moonlight Healer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:44 pm
Lady Kariel
musasgal

Matthew 7 v2-4 NIV

Mark 12 v30-31 NIV

That's right. I agree with the statement "hate the sin love the sinner", but where is the hatred in this thread? I see it as more of a warning and call to action.

As for not judging others...well, this blog post can explain that much better than me. My Bible study class (and this blog) have helped me understand this issue better.  
The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games