The amount we have is fine.
  No, I like them - more!
  Other (please post!)
View Results

xo maho
Crew

Dainty Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 am
Note: This applies only to the regular breeding/custom raffles we have, just in case anyone though I was talking about shop-wide themed events.

Hello!

First of all, I want to say that I'm incredibly thankful for the recent upswing in breedings and customs. It feels like there've been more lately than there have been in the last couple months, which is amazing.

I've been noticing a trend lately that also seems to be on an upswing. 24-48 hour raffles, breeding or custom, are also on the rise. This is something that, for a long time, I've always thought could be kind of inconvenient for customers in the shop - especially ones who can't check Gaia every day, whether it's because they don't have the time or because they don't have the means. I've recently been experiencing limited time on Gaia, and this last time I tried to enter something, it was finally so close a call that I had to say something. (For perspective on the kinds of situations that limit Gaian activity - I had an eleven hour work day, came home, ate, slept for six hours, and got up and went back to work for another seven hours. I barely managed to enter my ponies. If I hadn't cared as much as I do about my current pairs, I would have skipped it altogether.)

Once upon a time, breeding and custom raffles seemed to last about three days, or at least two. These days, that's not something that happens. When I checked the most recent regular breeding raffles (not including mixers), I found that 8 out of 10 of them lasted less than 72 hours. At least four of those were 24 hour events. For regular breeding events, in a shop this large with such a huge demographic, everyone should have a chance to enter. If someone can't check Gaia daily, those timespans are incredibly limiting.

Customs have a much lower incidence (only 3-ish out of 10?), but we also have far fewer customs, with only ten since July last year. The ones that have lasted for a shorter time were still more recent ones, so this seems like a trend.

Would it be possible for colorists to increase the lengths their regular events are open? Even trading 24-hour events for 48-hour ones would be a kindness. If not, could some of you explain why you prefer the 24-48 hour events over longer ones? I'm curious about the reasoning behind them, especially when there have been so many lately.

If 24-hour events are a trend that's here to stay, I have another suggestion - could we make a thread where we can designate proxies to enter our pairs/custom forms? Even in shop-wide events, contests that last less than 24 hours and that aren't based on art/writing have allowed proxies. Could we be allowed the same for regular events? The same proxy rules would apply - you can only proxy for one person in an event, etc.

For things like breeding raffles, proxies would be applicable to self-pairs or to pairs where both owners are away from Gaia for a day or so at a time. For example, if one owner of a pair is on hiatus and one owner has a full-time job, one of their friends who has more time to be on Gaia could proxy their pair for them with prior coordination. Or, if that's not going to work, proxying could just be for self-pairs.

A custom raffle proxy would be much more straight-forward and just include an agreed-upon custom form to be entered.

My idea for a form for such a thread would look something like this:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Username has my permission to enter the agreed upon pairs below in 24-hour breeding events when I am not able to myself.

(self pair)
(owner pony) x (owner 2 pony)

I, Username, agree!

I, Owner 2, agree~

Let me know what you think - I look forward to opinions and suggestions. Thank you! heart  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm
I'm on Gaia like constantly and I have a hard time keeping up with the 24hr events.
Is there a reason why there has been an upswing in these like a rule change or something?  

ProphetOfProfit

Profitable Prophet

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:59 pm
Honestly I'd be much more interested in a universal breeding form than shorter raffles. Colorists like to budget their time... there's a lot of potential coloring they could be doing waiting for a five day breeding raffle.

It seemed to me when the raffles were longer it would be more colorists involved which is fine but can get kind of awkward, especially when colorists with drastically different art styles join together, because sometimes I switch my couples around depending on the colorist.

So yeah, I prefer more shorter ones to fewer longer ones personally. I think the biggest annoyance is just having to do the form every time.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:07 pm
Kamiki
Honestly I'd be much more interested in a universal breeding form than shorter raffles. Colorists like to budget their time... there's a lot of potential coloring they could be doing waiting for a five day breeding raffle.

It seemed to me when the raffles were longer it would be more colorists involved which is fine but can get kind of awkward, especially when colorists with drastically different art styles join together, because sometimes I switch my couples around depending on the colorist.

So yeah, I prefer more shorter ones to fewer longer ones personally. I think the biggest annoyance is just having to do the form every time.

I second the universal form suggestion! It would be sooooo amazing to just be able to copy paste instead of worrying that I've missed something, especially when the differences are negligible!  

Faithofthefallen
Crew

LOLTERGEIST

Crew

A Knife

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:22 pm
The MCCL and breeding information both have standard forms. If they're missing anything let me know and I'll update them. but I know I've personally never had to refill a form once I've filled it out and I haven't been disqualified for copying and pasting the same form. As long as it has all relevant information you're fine. Colourists may add their own extra info to fill out but that's at their discression.

This is not an official shop answer - just my personal answer. As for 24 hour I can only speak for myself but I know as someone who until recently was working 14+ hour days and had limited free time I would prefer to have quick slots so I can have more time to colour and finish the breedings. It's not intended to give people an advantage or punish people who have limited time - sometimes it's just convenient for us as colourists.

Personally, it doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to post my pairs - unless it's a new fling then it can take a little longer to get forms sorted. So while some people may miss out on occasion I don't think it's enough to warrant a new form and thread for staff to track.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:29 pm
Yeah when I say universal I mean actually universal. Like, I don't see why twins, livestreaming, roleplay, lowluck, etc can't be part of the form. I think colorists should try to limit their "special headers" or make it VERY clear whats differeant than the "normal" form.

Its mostly the headers and the special additions that get really... overwhelming sometimes. Especially when its more than just one >.> .  

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400

LOLTERGEIST

Crew

A Knife

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:40 pm
Kamiki
Yeah when I say universal I mean actually universal. Like, I don't see why twins, livestreaming, roleplay, lowluck, etc can't be part of the form. I think colorists should try to limit their "special headers" or make it VERY clear whats differeant than the "normal" form.

Its mostly the headers and the special additions that get really... overwhelming sometimes. Especially when its more than just one >.> .

Lowluck, RP, Twins/triplets are part of the form.
Livestream isn't because some colourists don't livestream so it's an extra thing.

as for headers - it's to make our life easier when we make lists and it's usually a matter of copying and pasting rather than filling out extra information - the exception being twists which aren't a standard breeding so aren't part of the standard form.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:25 am
There seemed to be some confusion over the standard form so I'm going to post it below. I know other people who have this form premade for their active couples, some people rotate or post different couples depending on the colourist or slot, so they just copy and paste the form from their guild and the headers from the thread. It does save a lot of time.

Essentially it is treating breeding forms like pre-made custom forms. It is also easier to do this so you can track LL count, I'm thinking most people with LL linked at least do this for the LL (or else it would drive them nuts).

I feel like arguing about headers and forms is going a bit off topic, none of it is what was mentioned by OP.

As it stands -
Headers: mandatory
Forms: Mandatory
Optional modifiers (such as twists, growth omissions, etc): optional

The standard (universal / unisex) form that lollly mentioned to is below the spoiler cut:

"Also note that the breeding form has some sections that may not be found on older forms, please use the form provided to ensure you have all the necessary information."

[quote="Soquili 1 x Soquili 2"]

Entry Code:
[code]Soquili 1 Name (owners) x Soquili 2 Name (owners)

[b]Soquili 1 Name:[/b]
[img]CERT[/img]
[url=]UNCERT[/url] (optional: [url=]Nekkid[/url] | [url=]Markings[/url] | [url=]Feral[/url] (purewalker only) )

[b]Soquili 2 Name:[/b]
[img]CERT[/img]
[url=]UNCERT[/url] (optional: [url=]Nekkid[/url] | [url=]Markings[/url] | [url=]Feral[/url] (purewalker only) )

[b]Pregnant Stage:[/b] [url=]I have one already[/url] / I want one / No thanks / If Spirit Breeding, please put N/A unless the pair can carry
[b]Co Ownership?:[/b] (List who isn't getting baskets, AND link to the co-ownership agreement)
[b]Teepees:[/b] (While this is not mandatory it would make our lives easier if you were able to post links to the teepees of the owners for easy stat checking later on.)

[b]Link to Breeding Agreement:[/b] [url=LINK][ X ][/url]
[color=white]---[/color][b]Lifemate?:[/b] Yes/No

[b]RP Approved?:[/b] Yes/No

[b]Twins/Triplets?:[/b] Yes/No (Are you okay with having twins/triplets? Please note that this does not guarantee you will get twins/triplets, merely gives the colourist the option should they feel inspired)

[b]Livestream?:[/b] Yes/No (Are you okay with the breeding being streamed? This does not guarantee the colourist will stream it, only lets them know if you are okay with it)

[b]Low Luck?:[/b] Yes/No

[spoiler][list=1]
[*] list of attempts
[/list][/spoiler]

[b]Same Breed Variants:[/b] (Allows colorists to use templated wings/tails/horns other than the ones the parents have.)
[color=white]---[/color][b]Templates to Avoid:[/b] (If there are breed templates you'd like to avoid, post here. PLEASE NOTE: ONLY LIST TRAITS THE PARENTS THEMSELVES DO NOT HAVE.)

[b]Throwbacks?:[/b] (Saying yes gives the colorist a bit more freedom in the breeding. Throwbacks can come from previous generations from the parents, this mean grandparents/etc. For 1st gens this would mean mystery traits. NOTE: Just because you say yes doesn't mean you'll get throwback traits. It only gives the colorist the OK to play around. Nothing more. You also don't get to choose which throwback traits are picked.)
[color=white]---[/color][b]Link to previous Generations:[/b] (If said Yes to Throwbacks please link to all parents (and grandparents/etc) NOTE: LINKS ONLY. NO IMG TAGGING)

Optional modifiers:
Refer to MCCL thread.

Not an official shop opinion but this is how I think of it and what I know about things right now: (excuse the typos, I'm terrible at typing on iPads...be warned, I do ramble.)

Colourists do like to figure out what time they have to do things, we each have set specific months to take things on and set timeframes to do things in, the sooner we get to take on quota the better. It just means more time for colouring. I don't think any of my threads have been 24 hours yet but I'm always on the edge of my seat keen to roll and see what couples come from it. It's kinda exciting to me as well as those who do get rolled.

Often when I take things on, I'm thinking about if it's a feasible amount of work to do in the time frame so I can be on time to the next allocated time for me to take on quota. I also consider if I will have time to do things like event pets or freebies on the side after I've finished quota or it will be straight back to quota once I finish that job lot. I want to make sure I can keep customers happy and be in good standing with the shop by being on time, so the more time to colour the better. People who have had me colour for them know I am kinda slow but I do put a lot of effort into things and pay attention to detail to make sure that I put out things that I'm super happy worth, because if I'm not happy, I can't expect anyone else to be proud to have them in their teepee either.

Colourists are not encouraged to have their breedings overlap with each other if possible also, we don't want to take up each other's time for the opening of potential breedings. Joint colourist threads are also meant to be a rarity which is why we don't use this to remedy that problem. Some people prefer us to do things separately anyways because they might have preferences for each colourist's individual skill set.

There are no rule changes on our side of things, 24 hour breedings have always been an option (at least from what I've seen since I've been hired). I think people are choosing what's most convenient to them. I can understand missing 24 hour slots... when you're busy and don't constantly check Gaia it is easy to miss.

If you're entering a normal pair you're at an advantage because there is two people to look out for breedings but if you're entering self pairs, it's all upto you, unless you have friends linking you. Years ago, me and some of my friends used to forward each other breeding thread links when we saw them crop up, it did help those of us who were too busy to keep checking.  

Yumitoko II
Crew

Eloquent Genius

14,575 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200

Kamiki

Fandom Fox

20,600 Points
  • Elysium's Hero 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 am
Right. But just because every colorist doesn't do live streaming it would still be easy enough to put on a form. Just like RP qualification and and low luck.

And yeah, one header to say what list you're on makes sense. But it's not usually one header- depending on the colorists there are three, five, or six. Again, the live streaming and twins/triplets are usually seperate headers which is pointless. The Speedy Delivery, too, is something that I don't see why it can't be part of a universal form. If it's an option that's available for colorists (like being able to do speedy delivery as an example)I personally think it should be added to the "universal" breeding form. Just my opinion, it could be so much cleaner and easier for all involved.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:36 am
Kamiki
Right. But just because every colorist doesn't do live streaming it would still be easy enough to put on a form. Just like RP qualification and and low luck.

And yeah, one header to say what list you're on makes sense. But it's not usually one header- depending on the colorists there are three, five, or six. Again, the live streaming and twins/triplets are usually seperate headers which is pointless. The Speedy Delivery, too, is something that I don't see why it can't be part of a universal form. If it's an option that's available for colorists (like being able to do speedy delivery as an example)I personally think it should be added to the "universal" breeding form. Just my opinion, it could be so much cleaner and easier for all involved.
I get your point especially with the growth emissions but because growth omissions are optional, they are currently in the optional modifiers section.

When this was first disscussed we wanted people to know that it is indeed 100% optional and that no-one will be forced to have express breedings.That is why it is separate from the standard form and in the optional forms instead. I think if it was suddenly tackled onto the end of the standard form when it was first introduced, people might have worried about it being a mandatory thing. Though now you bring it up, maybe it might be considered.  

Yumitoko II
Crew

Eloquent Genius

14,575 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200

LOLTERGEIST

Crew

A Knife

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:24 am
Kamiki

It might be nice to make a new suggestion thread then since the point of this thread is to discuss 24 hour slots and their frequency and not the standardisation of forms and what we should have on them and shouldn't.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:59 am

Apart from easing list keeping, you're also seeing an upswing in the number of modifiers because we have increased the availability of twists. Where previously we only had twists available during Halloween and Valentine's Day (October and February, respectively,) we now have twists available virtually every month.

This means that there are multiple possible modifiers that can be added to a given form, and while you absolutely can make a stock form (which we do have,) you're going to find a need to fill out the modifiers for twists, etc.

As well, filling out the larger forms is usually simply a matter of copy/pasting information from old forms to new ones. It behooves someone desirous of entering breedings with a given pair to save their forms when they enter them in order to reduce the amount of time spent in tailoring forms.

That said, there are situations in which using the same form simply is not appropriate, such as in special events, etc. At minimum those will require people to fill out those modifiers if they wish to participate, remembering that participation is completely voluntary.

We've tried to provide a number of different opportunities for breedings, and I hope that we have been successful. Not every breeding or custom opening runs for 24-48 hours, and we certainly do not intend to make those styles standard. They are, rather, entirely up to the colorist's discretion. I understand that having a rash of such breeding raffles can be discouraging and inconvenient, however we do have a large staff of colorists, and I think you will find that other colorists will provide numerous non-24/48 hour opportunities.

As of this time we have no intention of implementing a proxying rule for breedings, as that would add a number of complications to an already complex system. It's one more thing to monitor, if nothing else, and while I understand the appeal, it's just not in the books at the moment. I appreciate and value your feedback, so thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Cheri

Interstellar Pirate

Faithofthefallen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:20 am
To bring things back around to topic, I'll just post my thoughts n_n
I personally really like the 24 hour raffles, but I think thats because I like instant gratification at times x'D and we would sometimes have contests that lasted for like a week in ages past (-.o), but thats entirely personal preference and I can absolutely see that would be frustrating for people who are not able to get online every day to miss out of breedings or customs! It looks like a lot of people like the 24hour raffles via the polls but I don't see any harm with making it easier for everyone to have a fair chance. To be honest I haven't been asked or asked someone to be a proxy for me so I'm not sure what the rules are surrounding them- I haven't looked into it, but maybe the solution is like Maho said, with just adjusting the rules if necessary to allow other people to proxy for breedings.

It might be easier if there was a simple short form for it, like there is with customs, where if you don't have time to fill something out you can post that and just void the option of being CC'd, but I can see that could cause a lot of issues with couples potentially being posted more than once if the staff can't see who is posting who. I would personally love to see our current breeding system move more towards the big ticket breedings we've had in the past, (in fact I may make a suggestion thread about this to avoid going off topic), but if that were to happen I think it would make proxying quite easy, because you could just post who you were proxying for and that is that.  
Feedback Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games