Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Sermons
The Battle With Sin

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:15 am

This is the intro of a series on The Battle With Sin by Tim Conway.

1 John 2:15-17
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world — the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not from the Father but from the world. The world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God remains forever.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 am
The Battle With Sin: Pride

Duration: 44:03

Tim talks about putting to death pride in our life and be humbled under the mighty hand of God.

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 8:13
"The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 am
The Battle With Sin: Violent for Humility

Duration: 59:30

Humility does not come effortlessly. It comes with battle, it comes with tears.

Acts 14:22
strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said.

Mark 9:47-48
And if your eye causes you to fall into sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where ‘their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched.’

Revelation 3:21
The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Philippians 2:3-11
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. ...

Matthew 23:12
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 am
The Battle With Sin: I Want My Way

Duration: 1:08:29

1 Peter 2:11
Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.

Romans 6:13
Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.

John 10:9-11
I am the gate. If anyone enters through Me, he will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief* comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it in all its fullness. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.

* The thief is Satan.

Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

Matthew 23:12
For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Proverbs 29:23
A man's pride will bring him low, But a humble spirit will obtain honor.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:02 am
Do Not Love the world

Duration: 1:14:22

1 John 2:15-16
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not from the Father but from the world...

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

James 1:26-27
If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Matthew 5:13
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its savor, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

John 14:30
I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world* is coming. He has no hold over me,

*This is Satan. He is attempting to destroy your souls through the things of this world.

1 John 5:19
We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

James 4:4
You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 am
Passion for the World or Christ?

Duration: 1:12:06

Is your motive for holy living Christ? Is your passion to know Him more?

Acts 11:23
When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.

2 Peter 2:20-22
If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,”and, “A sow that is washed returns to her wallowing in the mud.”

Revelation 3:3-5
Remember, then, what you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know the hour when I will come upon you. But you do have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments, and because they are worthy, they will walk with Me in white. Like them, the one who is victorious will be clothed in white garments. And I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father and His angels

Ephesians 2:1-2
As for you, you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you used to walk when you conformed to the ways of this world and of the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit who is now at work in the sons of disobedience

Titus 2:11-14
For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

Luke 16:15
He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God's sight.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:16 am
The Battle in Your Mind to Abstain from Sexual Sin

Duration:1:09:19

Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul.

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

Revelation 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ephesians 4:23
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

2 Samuel 12:9
Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing what is evil in his eyes?

1 Thessalonians 4:7-8
For God has not called us to impurity, but to holiness. Anyone, then, who rejects this command does not reject man but God, the very One who gives you His Holy Spirit

Psalm 84:11
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.

Ezekiel 18:24
"But if a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked person does, will they live? None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die.

Matthew 26:41
"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Matthew 13:22
The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 am
Consider Yourself Dead to Sin

Duration: 51:52

Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul.

Matthew 24:12-13
Because of the multiplication of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Luke 21:19
By your patient endurance, you will gain your souls.

Romans 6:1-4
What then shall we say? Shall we continue in sin so that grace may increase? By no means! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer?
Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized* into Christ Jesus were baptized* into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism* into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

*Immersed/immersion.

Romans 6:6-7
We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin. For anyone who has died has been freed from sin

Romans 6:10-11
The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. So you too must consider* yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin control your mortal body so that you obey its desires.

*Consider is an action. You must actively think of yourself as dead to sin. You have the power to do so because your old self was crucified with Christ and you have been raised with Him into a New Life. You are not a slave to sin. You can't be if your old self was crucified with Him and rendered powerless. 'Rendered powerless' means that sin has no claim on you any longer. It has no way to make you its slave. No way to rule you and dominate your actions, decisions and your life.

Romans 6:13
Do not* present the parts of your body to sin as instruments of wickedness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and present the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness.

*You have a choice and an ability now through Christ to use your body as an instrument of righteousness doing what is good and right.

Titus 2:14
He gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous* for good deeds.

*Eager  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 am
Are you Struggling Against Sin or a Slave of Sin?

Duration: 1:03:49

John 8:34
Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

1 John 3:9
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

Romans 6:21-22
What fruit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? The outcome of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you reap leads to sanctification, and the outcome is eternal life.

"When a person who is a sinner and is in bondage to sin now is saved, what happens is that rather than being a slave and basically lead about by their passions they go to fierce battle. But here is the problem: when people are in fierce battle with sin they often mistake fierce battle as slavery to it, and those that are slaves to it often mistake the slavery for a struggle with it."

Romans 8:23
Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies.

"...a person who is a Christian and struggles with sin is on a path to Heaven. A person who is a slave to sin going to perish. If you live according to the flesh you WILL DIE, but if by The Spirit you put to death [you WILL LIVE], and this is mortal, all out putting to death. It doesn't say it is going to be easy, it says it is warfare."

How can you tell slavery and warfare apart?

If you are a true Christians and have a fall you run back to the Lord. You plead with the Lord, you ask for mercy. You need that confidence or the Devil can come in and say that you have just committed an unpardonable sin and that God wants nothing to do with you.

What can we look for in ourselves or other with the help of Scripture that can aid us in discerning whether someone or we ourselves, is a not just a nominal Christian? What does it look like when someone is dead in sin versus a Christian who may struggle like crazy with assurance but they are a true Christian? They are radically different situations!

If our faith is geniune we can walk through the trials. We will make it through. We will value Christ more than the things of the world.

What good does it do you to have a false profession? You only get greater condemnation in the end!

"Here it is. This has to do with the battle of sin. What does the battle with sin look like. That is different that he who is dead in sin look like? What does the real Christian battle look different? Here's one:

1 Timothy 4:15
Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress.

"Godliness. That is what he has been talking to with Timothy. Godly things. Righteous things. Biblical things. Practice these things. Immerse yourself in them. So that ALL may see your progress.

ALL means everyone. Saved and unsaved. Even the world (unsaved) recognize their own. The unsaved (though they don't really consider themselves unsaved) can tell whether you belong to them or not. They can tell because you act, think and do what they do. Do you live the same sinfilled life they do? Is there is nothing different about you?

John 15:19
If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

Do you fit in with lost people? Is your progress apparent to other people? Is there a change in your life? Are you the same now as you were before you came to believe in Christ?

Do you love God?

Do you pray?

Do you want His help to overcome sin?

Are you passionate about Christ?

Where is your heart?

Where are you investing yourself?

Do you love people in a way you didn't do before?

Has the Bible become a different book to you then before you were saved?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 pm
I just watched The Battle With Sin: Intro - Tim Conway video.
Thank you very much for sharing this series. I had heard of I'll Be Honest but had never watched one of the videos. I think I have found another great resource smile

SolaceSerenitySerendipity

Gracious Flatterer

6,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
Sermons

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items