Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Links
Prepare for End Times Apostasy!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:48 am

Duration 38:04  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 pm
Screenshot:

Garland-Green
User Image

cristobela
Vice Captain

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 am
cristobela
Screenshot:

Garland-Green
User Image

Thank you. It is now fixed. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm
Missler has lost some credibility in my eyes whenever he gives a definition for a term. This reputation evidenced itself again in the video. “Pergamos/Pergamum” doesn't mean, “perverted marriage”, but:

- “tower”, “fortified”, or “fortified structure” according to Strong's Concordance: http://biblehub.com/greek/4010.htm

- “height; elevation” according to both Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary & Smith's Bible Dictionary: http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/pergamos/

The latter still makes sense in light of the literal Greek definition arrived at by Strong's Concordance which looked at the root word “purgos”. Neither “perversion” nor “marriage” is insinuated by the Greek. Missler is falling into the very thing he started out speaking against (i.e. venerating the words of some early church father / Bible commentary more than venerating what the Rock/Word of God actually says/describes).

---

Same with “gospel”. Yes, it includes Jesus [YHWH-incarnate] being crucified to death, buried, and raised back to life on the third day, all according to the Old Testament Scriptures, appearing to the disciples giving evidences that He is alive (1 Corinthians 15:1-8). But the gospel encompasses more than that. The literal Greek word in 1 Corinthians 15 for “gospel” is [euaggelion | εὐαγγέλιον] and it actually does mean “good news”: http://biblehub.com/greek/2098.htm)

...”good news” (and thus gospel) which Jesus and His disciples were preaching before Jesus ever made the connection (let alone communicated to others) about Him/Jesus being crucified to death and being raised on the third day according to the Scriptures (i.e. when they went around preaching the gospel/good news “of the kingdom of God”, preaching repentance, casting out demons, and healing people of all sicknesses):

• Mark 1:14-15 (NIV)

14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

• Luke 9:1-6 (NIV)

9 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5 If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6 So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.

And only later (in the same chapter, after they came back from preaching the above) does He reveal the aspects of the gospel that concord with how Paul describes the gospel (about Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection on the third day), and even then, not to proclaim it, but only let His closest disciples know; so, this wasn't the part of the gospel that they had been preaching earlier to all those villages:

• Luke 9:20-22 (NIV)

20 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.”

21 Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone. 22 And he said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.”

I was reading this the other day, and was like, “so is, 'the gospel of the kingdom of God' a different gospel than what Paul described in Corinthians? What exactly is the good news of the kingdom of God?” And the next immediate thought that came to me was: is it not a group of people with a mentality to pursue righteousness?

And verses came to mind:

• Matthew 6:33 (NIV)

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

• Luke 13:27-28 (NIV)

27 “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’

28 “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

• Luke 3:7-14 (NIV)

7 John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

9 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.”

10 “What should we do then?” the crowd asked.

11 John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

12 Even tax collectors came to be baptized. “Teacher,” they asked, “what should we do?”

13 “Don’t collect any more than you are required to,” he told them.

14 Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?”

He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.”

• Matthew 12:28 (NIV)

28 But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

• Luke 17:20-21 (NIV)

20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”[a]

Footnotes:

a. Luke 17:21 Or is within you

• John 3:3 (NIV)

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”

Footnotes:

John 3:3 The Greek for again also means from above; also in verse 7.

Malicious spirits (and malicious attitudes), evil-doing begone! Only just/upright, self-controlled, sober-minded, obedient, lawful "being" (and doing), not evil-doing, is allowed in the kingdom of God.

---

That led to a word search:

• Matthew 19:24 (NIV)

24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

No greediness nor stinginess.

• Matthew 21:43 (NIV)

43 “Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.

Full of righteous-fruit-bearing.

• Mark 9:47 (NIV)

47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,

• Luke 13:24 (NIV)

24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.

• Hebrews 4:11 (NIV)

11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

• 2 Peter 3:14 (NIV)

14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.

• Hebrews 5:9 (NIV)

9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

They exhibit effort, and though empowered by the Holy Spirit, have to make the deliberate choice to heed the Spirit's voice, disciplining fleshly lusts into self-controlled submission, mastery of self, striving to be obedient to Jesus/YHWH-incarnate. Thus how they enter the kingdom of God (plucking out the sinful eye, integral aspects of you, your personality, even your views, serious about eliminating from your life and your self what causes you to sin/transgress against God and His Word).

• Mark 10:15 (NIV)

15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

• 1 John 3:7 (NIV)

7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

People who trust the words of their Heavenly Father unwaveringly; no doubting, they just accept it. Like small children do their parents. He is the Most High, so they humbly / lowly accept what He says, and are servants of all, not seeking prestige for themselves.

• Luke 6:20 (NIV)

20 Looking at his disciples, he said:

“Blessed are you who are poor,
            for yours is the kingdom of God.

• James 2:5 (NIV)

5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

• John 14:15 (NIV)

15 “If you love me, keep my commands.

• Matthew 10:37-39N (NIV)

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

• 1 John 2:15-16 (NIV)

15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

Footnotes:

a. 1 John 2:15 Or world, the Father’s love

• Luke 9:62 (NIV)

62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

Their tie, attachment, and allegiance is not to the things of this world, but to the Father and the Son.

So, the “good news” (gospel) of the kingdom of God (which is a group of people with a mentality/inner-being that is wholly enveloped by pursuing righteousness according to His definitions, sincerely, in Spirit and in Truth, no longer obsessed with the things of this world, nor under the possession of demons or the prince of demons [Satan], prince of this world) is also an aspect of the “gospel”/good news but one that is not covered by 1 Corinthians 15:1-8. Not that Paul is denying those aspects as being a part of the gospel that saves (and what and who we're being saved from), but what appears in 1 Cor 15 is limited just for the sake of space and highlighting a particular point of the gospel that had been hidden and not so openly taught during Jesus' earthly ministry.

But Paul's other epistles also touch on the above aspects of the gospel / good news of the kingdom of God (and I didn't quote a single one of Paul's epistles to deduce these characteristics despite how similarly they sound). So, what was preached by Jesus (and Paul)—aside from Jesus' prophesied death, burial, and resurrection on the third day—is also the gospel/good news, not only those 8 verses in 1st Corinthians 15.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Links

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces