Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
Who Do You Say Jesus Is?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 am

Duration: 55:31

You can not slide out of this by casting blame on those who call themselves Children of God. I have one question for you; Who was the man Jesus of Nazareth?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm
heart Jesus is God in the flesh  

OnionsForever

cristobela
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:04 pm
@16:37-17:19, regarding the theologian's words that Washer reads and wholeheartedly agrees with...

I want to quote a very, very prominent theologian that I greatly respect, Loraine Boettner, and this is what he said, and you've probably never thought of this before. But he refers to Jesus as the only expected person in all of history. And this is true. This is documented. “In all the history of the world, Jesus emerges as the only expected person. No one was looking for such a person as Julius Caesar, or Napoleon, or Washington, or Lincoln to appear at the time and place that they did appear. No other person has had his course foretold or his work laid out for him centuries before he was born.”

Falsehood.

To say that Jesus was the only expected person in all of history is an exaggeration (lie). Two other people immediately come to mind:

Person #1

• Malachi 4:5-6  (NIV)

5 “See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”

• Matthew 17:10-13 (NIV)

10 The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?”

11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.

• Luke 1:13-17 (NIV)

13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

Quote:
Seven centuries before the birth of Jesus, the prophet Isaiah spoke of “the voice of one that crieth,” indeed, of him who would “prepare in the wilderness the way of Jehovah,” and “make level in the desert a highway for our God” (Isa. 40:3).

While many commentators find in this prediction an immediate application to Judah’s return from the Babylonian captivity, the New Testament writers see in it an ultimate fulfillment in the preparatory work of John the Baptist (cf. Mt. 3:3; Mk. 1:2-3; Lk. 3:4-6; Jn. 1:23).

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/266-who-was-john-the-baptist

John the Baptist was looked for and his work was foretold centuries before he was born, and people (teachers of the law) were looking out for his arrival too.

The next one was even prophesied by name centuries before he rose to power, a gentile ruler even...

Person #2

• Isaiah 44:28-45:1 (NIV)

28 who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd
            and will accomplish all that I please;
        he will say of Jerusalem, “Let it be rebuilt,”
            and of the temple, “Let its foundations be laid.”’
        45 “This is what the Lord says to his anointed,
            to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of
        to subdue nations before him
            and to strip kings of their armor,
        to open doors before him
            so that gates will not be shut:

Quote:
What many people do not realize in reading Isaiah 44:28ff is that this heathen ruler was named by the prophet long before the monarch was even born. Isaiah prophesied in the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah (1:1). His ministry thus occurred in the latter portion of the eighth century B.C. (ca. 740 – 701 B.C.). This was some one hundred fifty years before Cyrus came to the throne!

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/264-cyrus-the-great-in-biblical-prophecy

So to accept claims like, “Jesus was the only expected person in all of history” undermines Washer's credibility (and robs the Word of God of His glory. The Word of God foretells of Israelites and Gentiles alike, not just about Himself coming into the world to save us).

Reality: there's an enormous amount of focus on the Messiah in Scripture (who would be God Himself) manifested in flesh through a woman's womb—ergo the unique incarnation of God—foretold in the totality of Scripture. Thus He is the MOST important person foretold, but He's not the only expected person.

---

As an aside, Jesus is not a founder of a new religion. He, like John, drew people back to the Father's Way, in Spirit and in Truth.

---

Washer should stick to both Biblical history and extra-Biblical history, not resort to the Leaven of the Pharisees (theological thoughts/teachings and traditional phrases that deviate from what's written). If people realize that big falsehood he started off with, they'll tune out the rest of what he has to say, even if it's legitimate.

To quote Washer:

@24:25-29 “That's why Jesus said to be very careful of the things that you are listening to. Because...'to whom much is given, much is required.' ”

And strictly Scripture:

• James 3:1 (NIV)

3 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

May the Holy Spirit, just like He revealed to Peter, supernaturally reveal truth to and correct Paul Washer, humble him of any and all leaven from the “Pharisees”/”teachers of the law”/”theologians”/”seminaries” that he has in him which is deviating from truth/reality/Scripture—for his own well-being and that of his listeners (believers and unbeliever alike).

• 1 Timothy 4:16 (NIV)

16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

And on that very serious note: we also shouldn't down play the fact that, yes, just like the Israelites had to wage physical war to be victorious and inherit the promise (though God was giving the enemy into their hand), thus cooperation, yes, we too with God's help have to wage spiritual warfare to be victorious and actually inherit, and not have our crown of eternal life taken away:

Shadow:

• Joshua 10:19 (NIV)

19 But don’t stop; pursue your enemies! Attack them from the rear and don’t let them reach their cities, for the Lord your God has given them into your hand.”

• 2 Chronicles 13:17-18 (NIV)

17 Abijah and his troops inflicted heavy losses on them, so that there were five hundred thousand casualties among Israel’s able men. 18 The Israelites were subdued on that occasion, and the people of Judah were victorious because they relied on the Lord, the God of their ancestors.

Fulfillment:

• Revelation 2:26 (NIV)

26 To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations—

• Revelation 21:7-8 (NIV)

Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

• Revelation 3:11 (NIV)

11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

• 1 Corinthians 9:25-27 (NIV)

25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

• James 1:12 (NIV)

12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

• John 14:15 (NIV)

15 “If you love me, keep my commands.

• Colossians 3:5-10 (NIV)

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.[a] 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Footnotes:

a. Colossians 3:6 Some early manuscripts coming on those who are disobedient

• Romans 2:6-7 (NIV)

6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Footnotes:

a. Romans 2:6 Psalm 62:12; Prov. 24:12

Luke 12:47-48 (NIV)

47 “The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

You have to stay faithful (loyal, trusting, on task, disciplined) to the end. He handed you His nature so that you would put it on, not keep your own garments/nature on.

• Revelation 19:7-8 (NIV)

7 Let us rejoice and be glad
            and give him glory!
        For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
            and his bride has made herself ready.
        8 Fine linen, bright and clean,
            was given her to wear.”

(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.)

• 2 Corinthians 3:18 (NIV)

18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Footnotes:

a. 2 Corinthians 3:18 Or reflect

• 1 John 2:6 (NIV)

6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

• 1 John 3:7 (NIV)

7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.

His definitions, not the Pharisees' deviant definitions. His Way, not the Pharisees' straying ways. But yes, you must cooperate with God/the Holy Spirit/Jesus, utilize what He gave us and stay faithful, in order to be victorious/overcome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 am
YASHUA

Swordsman of God

QueenofGod1989

Dedicated Friend

5,000 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 am
Jesus is the Christ and the son of the living God.  
The Bible

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games