Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ✩ ANIME
Looking for a new anime to get into

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 pm
Yo! I'm looking for a new anime fandom to get into, and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a show with a fandom that's still thriving. I love crime dramas and subtle romances, I dislike gag-comedies (with the exception of those that have decent combat plots), most mechas, and over-the-top romances (most shoujo tbh), and I hate shows that romanticize abusive behaviors/relationships.

Stuff I'm into already: Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (my fave), Psycho-Pass, D.Gray-man, Tsubasa Chronicles (CLAMP in general), Erased, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Voltron (cartoon technically I know)

Stuff I used to be into, but have lost interest in Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, Eureka Seven, InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, Noragami, Attack on Titan, Toonami anime in general, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Beyond the Boundary, the Devil is a Part-timer, Is It Wrong To Try to Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon?, The Betrayal Knows My Name

Stuff I never really got into, and have no interest in getting into now: One Piece, DBZ, Berserk, My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kill la Kill, Akame ga Kill, etc.

So with all that in mind; can anybody rec something for me? I basically live for AO3 between lectures.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 pm
Paradox the Finder
Yo! I'm looking for a new anime fandom to get into, and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a show with a fandom that's still thriving. I love crime dramas and subtle romances, I dislike gag-comedies (with the exception of those that have decent combat plots), most mechas, and over-the-top romances (most shoujo tbh), and I hate shows that romanticize abusive behaviors/relationships.

Stuff I'm into already: Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (my fave), Psycho-Pass, D.Gray-man, Tsubasa Chronicles (CLAMP in general), Erased, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Voltron (cartoon technically I know)

Stuff I used to be into, but have lost interest in Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, Eureka Seven, InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, Noragami, Attack on Titan, Toonami anime in general, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Beyond the Boundary, the Devil is a Part-timer, Is It Wrong To Try to Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon?, The Betrayal Knows My Name

Stuff I never really got into, and have no interest in getting into now: One Piece, DBZ, Berserk, My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kill la Kill, Akame ga Kill, etc.

So with all that in mind; can anybody rec something for me? I basically live for AO3 between lectures.

Natsume book of friends
Fairy Tail
Elegant yokai life apartment
Boruto
The Ancient Magus' Bride  

nena_sakura

Captain

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

MoopyKi

Questionable Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 am
Crime dramas?
Have you tried Ouroboros?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:37 pm
nena_sakura
Paradox the Finder

Stuff I used to be into, but have lost interest in: Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, Eureka Seven, InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, Noragami, Attack on Titan, Toonami anime in general, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Beyond the Boundary, the Devil is a Part-timer, Is It Wrong To Try to Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon?, The Betrayal Knows My Name

Natsume book of friends - looks interesting, if lacking a bit in the action department. I'll check it out!
Fairy Tail - seen the first season, liked it, but not well enough to continue with it.
Elegant yokai life apartment - nope, nu-uh, sorry. This one is way too romancy for my tastes.
Boruto - This is the primary reason that I'm no longer into Naruto, so nope. Thanks though!
The Ancient Magus' Bride - another romance, but the art style and darker story elements make it more appealing than the Elegant Yokai one. I'll check this one out, too!

Thanks for the input. I really prefer action, crime, and mythology themes more than I like romance or comedy (unless it's really subtle, I tend to suffer through the romance so I can get to the action). Shounen comedies are ok (not my favorite but at least there's non-romantic conflict/drama), but slap-stick seinen is right out.  

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:16 pm
MoopyKi
Crime dramas?
Have you tried Ouroboros?

I have not, but it's on my list of new anime to watch. What i'm looking for right now are series that have large and/or highly active, rapidly growing fandoms. I don't want just a new series to watch, i want something that's has a lot of fanfiction, too! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Paradox the Finder
nena_sakura
Paradox the Finder

Stuff I used to be into, but have lost interest in: Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, Eureka Seven, InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, Noragami, Attack on Titan, Toonami anime in general, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Beyond the Boundary, the Devil is a Part-timer, Is It Wrong To Try to Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon?, The Betrayal Knows My Name

Natsume book of friends - looks interesting, if lacking a bit in the action department. I'll check it out!
Fairy Tail - seen the first season, liked it, but not well enough to continue with it.
Elegant yokai life apartment - nope, nu-uh, sorry. This one is way too romancy for my tastes.
Boruto - This is the primary reason that I'm no longer into Naruto, so nope. Thanks though!
The Ancient Magus' Bride - another romance, but the art style and darker story elements make it more appealing than the Elegant Yokai one. I'll check this one out, too!

Thanks for the input. I really prefer action, crime, and mythology themes more than I like romance or comedy (unless it's really subtle, I tend to suffer through the romance so I can get to the action). Shounen comedies are ok (not my favorite but at least there's non-romantic conflict/drama), but slap-stick seinen is right out.

following are
Mystery, crime, action

Detective academy Q
Detective Conan (800+ episodes)
Magic Kaito
the future dairy
Durarara
Death parade
Erased
Steins;Gate
xxx holic
clamp school detective
hyouka
Hoozuki no Reitetsu (Cool Headed Hoozuki)  

nena_sakura

Captain

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:02 pm
nena_sakura

following are

Mystery, crime, action - not really interested in straight-out mystery shows

Detective Academy Q - a mystery series, but not a crime-drama. I'd prefer shows that are similar in content to Psycho-Pass or Law&Order: SVU.
Detective Conan (800+ episodes) - a bit childish and a major time investment, but I've been interested in it for a while now
Magic Kaito - I thought that these ^ were the same show? I stand corrected.
the future dairy - slasher mystery with little redeeming plot value outside of the twisted take on a high school romance. I'll pass sweatdrop
Durarara - something I watched casually, but lost interest in (did I not put this one on the list?)
Death parade - interesting, but the fandom is virtually dead so I haven't bothered with it
Erased - This is a series that I'm already into and have read through the fanfiction for (this one is listed in my op)
Steins;Gate - out-and-out mystery. I watched and liked the animation, but the story fell flat and the fandom doesn't produce any interesting fanfiction
xxx holic/clamp school detective - these are included in the 'CLAMP in general' category, and I'm already into these fandoms
hyouka - watched it, dead fandom
Hoozuki no Reitetsu (Cool Headed Hoozuki) - a bit heavy on the comedy it looks like, but it kinda reminds me of xxxHolic. Is the fandom good? this one's pretty recent  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm
Thanks for the series recommendations, but I've got to ask: Does anyone know a series that fits my interests that also has a thriving fandom with plenty of fanfiction for me to dig through? That's what I'm really after here. wink  

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150

Izatora

Devoted Werewolf

11,500 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 pm
So, crime dramas with subtle romance...no gag,mechas, shoujos stuff.

well, maybe....
1. ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.
2. Danganronpa. (great fandom)
3.Ajin.
4.Monster. (old)
5.Paranoia Agent. (old)
6.Rokka no Yuusha.
7.Ghost in the shell. (old, but the fandom still strong)
8.Tiger&Bunny. (not that old, but the fandom still there)
9.Persona 4 the animation. (or the golden one) (great fandom)
10.Persona 5 the animation. (new, and the fandom still growing)

yum_puddi yum_puddi yum_puddi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:52 pm
Izatora
So, crime dramas with subtle romance...no gag,mechas, shoujos stuff.

well, maybe....
1. ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.
2. Danganronpa. (great fandom)
3.Ajin.
4.Monster. (old)
5.Paranoia Agent. (old)
6.Rokka no Yuusha.
7.Ghost in the shell. (old, but the fandom still strong)
8.Tiger&Bunny. (not that old, but the fandom still there)
9.Persona 4 the animation. (or the golden one) (great fandom)
10.Persona 5 the animation. (new, and the fandom still growing)

yum_puddi yum_puddi yum_puddi

Crime dramas with no romance would be ideal, but let's be honest, I'm not likely going to find one. Not a bad list of suggestions though, thanks.

Here's my feedback:

1) ACCA: I've never heard of it, but I'll give it a shot. The synopsis looks ok.
2) Danganronpa: This is more of a horror mystery than a crime drama, and I haven't enjoyed what parts of the anime I've seen already.
3) Ajin: This one's a thriller, not a drama. I've watched it though, and it's decent for a CGI. Fandom's not very active, though sad
4) Monster: On my list now, thanks for the suggestion!
5) Paranoia Agent: Psychological drama; seen it, loved it. <3
6) Rokka no Yuushi: Fantasy and/or light novels are not exactly what I'm looking for currently.
7) Ghost in the Shell series: Sci-fi crime dramas, heavier on the sci-fi than I tend to go for. I've seen them but don't much care for them, though I didn't hate them either.
cool Tiger & Bunny: This one's completely off the mark; it's a mecha comedy with really bad CGI work. Not interested.
9) & 10) Persona 4 & 5: These have been on my list for a while now, but I haven't been able to find them in a format or language dub I'm comfortable with yet.

Added a couple of new titles to the (still very short) list, though, thanks!  

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Some of the live-action crime dramas that I like, just to use as an example of what I mean by 'crime dramas': Criminal Minds, Law & Order: SVU, NCIS, Bones, CSI, etc. Of all of the animated crime dramas I've seen, I definitely think Psycho-Pass is the best example of what the genre is. I really like the '...in Death' novel series by J.D. Robbs, as well.

I'm really looking for series that have an English dubbed anime series available in the US; I currently don't have the cash to get ahold of manga. I don't like the light novel format, so I'd like suggestions for series that have been adapted to animation already. I read a lot of fanfiction, so if you can't think of a canonical series to suggest, I would also appreciate a suggestion for a series I'm already familiar with (preferably on FFNet or AO3). No second-generation continuations like HP: the Cursed Child or Boruto, please.

I had a chance recently to watch B: The Beginning - proof that you can almost completely ruin a thrilling concept with clumsily executed character development and equally clumsy storytelling. 6/10, will not re-watch, will not check out the fanworks, but it was an entertaining ride while it lasted.

Series I like (for fanfiction suggestions, not a full list of series I've watched/liked):
Harry Potter, Naruto, Psycho-Pass, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Tsubasa Chronicles, xxxHolic, Bleach, Voltron, Homestuck, Legend of Drizzt, Dragon Age 2 & Inquisition, D.Gray-man, etc. (I might update this list later)

I'm not really opposed to sci-fi, fantasy, or horror, but I'd like the focus of the story to be on the crime/investigation aspect. The series also doesn't have to be from the POV of the law enforcement, that's just the most common format that I've found for this genre.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:38 pm
I'd like to thank everyone who's made contributions on this thread so far, as well as those who've made suggestions via PM; I've added (and have been able to watch a bit of) quite a few new series and older series that I hadn't heard of before. For the time being, I'm back into Naruto (and am steadfastly ignoring the existence of Boruto for the sake of my renewed enjoyment of the series) and suggestions for specific fanfiction titles are very much appreciated. I like the time-travel, non-comedic genderbends, re-incarnation crossovers, crossovers in general, and the Gamer-AU tropes the most; and as always, the crime genre! I really dislike stories that are pure, unadulterated angst with no happy ending though.  

Paradox the Finder

Ruthless Dreamer

25,650 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Kuro Gang 250
  • Survivor 150
✩ ANIME

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items