Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Interpretation of Scripture
Bad translation?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 pm
Proverbs 26:4-5 [World English Bible]
Don’t answer a fool according to his folly,
lest you also be like him.
Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes.

The translation makes it seem like there is a contradiction here. Am I understanding it right when I think that verse 4 says not to answer him in the same manner, but that verse 5 says to correct him?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:38 pm
I think all of the translations are similar in that way.

Maybe the key part is the second line for each? A lot of times we might go along with someone because it's easier or we want to be nice, etc. but if we agree with someone offhandedly or by not speaking up, we're just as much a fool as the other guy and then it's even worse because he thinks he's correct.

Anyway, I kind of think reading Proverbs is hard -- even though it looks simple because they are in bite size verses. I'm not sure I'm taking it right.  

Silvyee

Excitable Strawberry

cristobela
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:04 pm
The way I understand it: don't answer the fool accepting his foolish presupposition/assumption/premise, but while rejecting his premise, take it to its logical conclusion to expose the folly of it.

Like many an atheist who ask questions, but their starting premise is wrong (because of false assumptions/beliefs that reject YHWH's Word/reality); if you accept their starting premise/belief you'll be arguing foolishness, thus not on the basis of YHWH's Word (truth/wisdom). But while rejecting their faulty premise in your heart, still, take the premise to its logical end to demonstrate why it fails—otherwise they'll think themselves wise, when in reality they're fools (rejecting wisdom/what is written/reality).

Truth doesn't have to fear or evade the subject brought up. But addresses it head on with wisdom (thus wisely based on what is written). But because fools are often prideful/arrogant (in more ways than one, including the Biblical definitions – straying from the Commands/what is written e.g. Psalm 119:21 or outright rejecting what is written e.g. Nehemiah 9:16) you have to use their own words/presupposition/example/subject matter they brought up to reach them—or if not to reach them, then to eliminate all notion that they're right on the matter (to the ear of their hearers).

Even if we don't reach the fool (the one who says there is no God or the believer who ACTS like there is no God who gave revelation—essentially, they both ignore what is written), at the very least, we can reach the wise within earshot. Whoever listens to/heeds the wise response or rebuke will become wiser. In truth, we're using the fool/the foolish situation/foolish question/foolish statement as an opportunity to reach the wise (who revere YHWH indeed). We're not really speaking to the fool (hence: Proverbs 23:9 — “Do not speak to fools, for they will scorn your prudent words.” [NIV]) We're speaking to the wise who are around with ears to hear. We eradicate any chance that the fool himself (or the onlooker listening to the fool) think the foolish one is in the right. After all, Jesus called the Pharisees fools and still responded (wisely) to their foolish questions/premise (exposing their faulty assumptions and [lack of] logic in the process).

• 2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV)

5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

• Matthew 23:16-22 (NIV)

16 “Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ 17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ 19 You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22 And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.

Interpretation of Scripture

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games