Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Community Issues: Cosplay is not Consent

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:01 pm
Hey Guys!

We're spicing it up a bit and talking about issues within the cosplay community. We're starting it off with the classic: Cosplay is not Consent and would love to hear what you have to say.

Here's some questions to get the conversation flowing:

Quote:
1. What does 'Cosplay is not consent' mean to you?

2. Have you ever been a victim of unwanted attention relating to the costume that you are in at a con?

3. Do you feel that there are some aspects that we go too far with?

4. Do you feel there are some aspects that we don't go far enough with?

5. What appropriate and what is not?

6. Do you feel the cosplayer should take some responsibility based upon the outfit they are wearing?

7. Should there be a limitation on what outfits should be allowed to be worn?

If you have any more ideas you'd love to add to this please tell me and I'll add to this. If there is any conversations you'd love to discuss tell me and I'll get it added to my list of future topics.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 am
What does 'Cosplay is not consent' mean to you?

During the last 10 years I have seen an ever growing number of Cosplayers at conventions. Cosplay is now a "buzz" word where most people know what a Cosplayer is now. This has brought a lot of curiosity, wanted, and unwanted attention to Cosplayers. What's been lost is a little bit of the Magic.

Their is an increasing number of Cosplayers who are being at the least picked on and at the worst attacked by others. What's happening is that due to how someone looks in an outfit some people think that it's giving them consent to touch, leer, flirt, proposition, and so much more.

Cosplayers should still feel free to dress up as their favorite characters but at the same time be conscious of how they might look to others. As a general rule I say their is more safety in numbers. Also ask family / friends what they think of your outfit and make sure that you follow the conventions rules of what's an appropriate outfit.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:58 am
1. What does 'Cosplay is not consent' mean to you?

It means, in a way, creating a space of respect and safety for those who chose to cosplay.

2. Have you ever been a victim of unwanted attention relating to the costume that you are in at a con?

No. Not yet, but I do have some costumes that may be completed by the end of this year that may cause an issue.

3. Do you feel that there are some aspects that we go too far with?

I've seen it where people over do it. Like we nitpick every little thing. Even when it was total consent, such as two character making out for a photoshoot.

4. Do you feel there are some aspects that we don't go far enough with?

I think that we don't go far enough in the aspect that we don't always contain the right words.

5. What is appropriate and what is not?

It's appropriate to ask a person if you may first. If they do not, don't touch. Once consent is present, what can happen is only the what was consented to and whom is was consented for.

6. Do you feel the cosplayer should take some responsibility based upon the outfit they are wearing?

Yes and not so much in the negative light as more of the responsibility. If you know that an outfit may cause unwanted attention then please prepare protection methods. Bring a cape piece to cover yourself to and from events. Find someone who is willing to be your handler. Anything to protect yourself.

7. Should there be a limitation on what outfits should be allowed to be worn?

I know I'll get some crap for this till I explain, but yes. There should be a limit. I'm all for creativity, but not nudity or exposure of any kind. As an example. You know those bikini glad girls. That's fine, but I don't need to see pubs. Leave the rated R stuff for adult hours if the convention host those hours. If not leave the costume at home or cover the exposed parts.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games