Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[Candidate Lesson] Back to Basics [Ends June 3 @5pm ET!] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm
The man walked up and down the rows in silence. Once all the Candidates had been settled in their seats, with his Assistants gathered, he shut the door and let a weighty silence come over the hall. He paced up and down, arms behind his back, posture straight, with his lips taut in a grimace. His thick brows were knit, and it was clear that he was in a darker mood. Gr'del was known to be a bit softer than his contemporary V'mel; he wasn't quite a pushover, but the Candidates knew that on his good days, he could be lenient. He treated each and every one of them as if they were his own -- those who were lost would be found; those who needed help would be given guidance; those who needed time were given patience; those who needed someone to listen were given all the time they required.

But something had changed, and it wasn't just that they were down a handful of Candidates-turned-Weyrlings. No, anyone who knew anything about Gr'del knew he was angry, and he was going to let them sit in silence while he gathered his thoughts. Anyone who dared to break the silence with a whisper, or chatter, would immediately be stared down until they quieted. Let some look bored. Let some look unimpressed, or over it. He would note the names of those who looked as if they somehow were now "better" than his talks, and he would grill them one-on-one later.

After the minutes dragged on, he finally spoke.

"You know, it's funny. I walk among you, and I see each of you wearing the designated Candidate shoulder knots of High Reaches. That little knot, that little bit of twisted and tyed dyed fabric -- it's actually quite a powerful thing. Not everyone gets to wear that shoulder knot, and the majority of the Pernese population will never, ever, get an opportunity to sit in these seats, or stand before a Queen's clutch." He let that sink in. "Being called a Candidate used to be a sense of pride and honor. Children would dream of being found on Search, or getting to take their Weyrborn right, in hopes of Impression. These shoulder knots are a symbol of honor, and should be worn with pride. This bit of fabric lets the entire world know that you are a cut above the rest; that you are chosen above all others; that you might be worthy to be a Dragonrider of Pern.

He stopped at the front of the room, pausing in his pacing to stare down each face. He knew those faces, knew those students, some better than others, but he knew them all by name. "Take off those knots." It was a command, an order, and one he expected to be obeyed. He picked up a small basket, handing it to one of his assistants. "W'tarl, collect them for me. The Weyr could use the material and I'd rather not see it go to waste on children." He didn't care how cruel that sounded, didn't care how his Candidates might feel. "And yes, children, that's exactly what I see right now. Oh, I know some of you might well think you're above this lecture; and I know some of you might be wanting to object, to say 'But, Sir, I'm not part of the problem!'" He gave a snort. "If that's the first thing you're thinking, then that shows you are no better than those goofing off in the Sands! I don't want excuses." He snarled, glaring down at them.

"As a dragon rider, you are expected to work as a team. You are expected to listen to your Wingleaders. You are expected to be above petty squabbles, selfish desires, and personal gains. You are a tool of the Weyr now, and if that isn't something you can accept, then there's the door. If you're too immature to handle a few basic rules about how to behave during a Touching, or what to do during a Hatching, then the Weyr will be happy to send you back to a Hold or Hall of your choice. What I want to know now, who among you desires to be a dragon rider. Raise your hand high if that is what you want, if that is why you're here." Gr'del waited, watching hands rise, some quickly, others more hesitantly.

For any who did not lift their hand, "You. Sarclos," he pointed to the older boy, in the back, who had simply rolled his eyes at the instruction. The man blinked. "Get out."

The man started. "But, Sir! I just -- I do want--"

"No excuses. Out!"

The man scrambled, tears pricking at the edge of his eyes, embarrassment and shame overwhelming him. Whether Gr'del meant to kick the man out as a Candidate, or just for the day's lecture, remained to be seen -- but what was clear was that the brownrider wasn't messing around. "If anyone here thinks they're above these lectures, or has somewhere better to be, go ahead and leave. But if you want to be the best damn Candidates on Pern, you'll shut your traps, open your ears, and listen. Starting today, you're all fresh off the dragon. Starting today, you need to prove to me, and my assistants, that you are are worthy to be a Candidate. Starting today, you need to earn your knots back.

"You have brought shame to the Weyr with your behavior. Touching, after Touching, and Hatching, after Hatching, all I see is more and more ugly behavior. You are not here to make friends. You are not here to fall in love. You are not here just for the heck of it. You are here because you are training to become Dragonriders of Pern. This is not a game, this is not a joke. What we teach here is not meant to be ignored, or forgotten. When you got out on those Sands for any reason, you absolutely must keep yourself put together! You absolutely must remember these rules -- we didn't make them up for fun or for the heck of it.

"Dragons will die if you break these rules. Your fellow Candidates will die if you don't behave. Do we need to remember what happened at Western? Where they are now down a Candidate due to foolhardy behavior? Do we need to remember how you are never to approach a baby dragonet, even if they are fighting among themselves? That leads to bloodshed, and some of you have those scars to prove it! It doesn't matter if the egg, or the baby, insults you; offends you; or even kills another. You will only think good, loving things. You will not panic if Hatchlings attack. Instead, you back up, you retreat, and you try your damnedest to stay out of the way! If you can't be in control of your emotions or your thoughts, then you have no right to be here. Not every one is cut out to Impress, after all, so if you don't think this is a good fit for you, then you are welcome to leave.

"You are not hostages, you are the next dragonriders of Pern, so shaffing act like it!"

He scowled. "Now, get out your hides, and quill. For those of you who can't write or are illiterate, just do your best -- we'll talk one-on-one later. " He instructed. He walked over to the blackboard, where questions were written in chalk. "Time to answer some questions, so I can see how you stack up. Those who pass this test will move on to our next lesson. Those who don't, answer to me. "

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
All High Reaches Candidates -- Gr'del is not happy with your performance. This means you all are stripped of your knots -- and know that anyone who goes long without them might well get kicked out of the Weyr! Best try to earn them back!

Note: This is backdated to shortly after the Tea Clutch Hatching. We will let your Candidate backdate being there if they're newly approved, or you can say they joined after this anger-lecture, you just can't use them for a ticket.

For today, he wants to see how your riders stack up with general Candidate knowledge. Please answer ICly, and it is 100% okay to get some answers wrong!

Note: If you resisted giving up your badge of objected, you will get kicked out by either Gr'del or W'tarl. Head to the Candidatemaster's Office immediately to find out your fate.

If you did not ICly raise your hand, you will get kicked out by Gr'del by name. Head to the Candidatemaster's Office immediately to find out your fate.

Remember IC action = IC consequence!

You do not have to answer for all your Candidates, but you must at least enter one if you wish to get a ticket for a prize! Yes, there will be a surprise for entering, so let's see how your Candidate does!

Please do not just copy/paste from our guides. While you can totally use them if you need help, please at least try to have your character write/explain themselves in their own words.

- - - - - -

[size=28][center][b]Back to the Basics Quiz[/b][/center][/size]
[b]Name:[/b] (Candidates Name)
[b]Age:[/b] Current Age

[b]Why do you want to be a dragonrider?[/b]

[b]Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand?[/b]

[b]Why did you accept Candidacy?[/b]

[b]What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate?[/b]

[b]What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends?[/b]

[b]What do you do if a dragonet attacks you?[/b]

[b]How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act?[/b]

[b]How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act?[/b]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm
saving  

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:48 pm
Iathe's hand had shot up at once when Gr'del had asked, her head held high, her spine as stiff as a board. She had sharply plucked the knot from her shoulder and dropped it in the basket, refusing to even glance at it, or W'tarl. Simply put, Iathe was furious. Furious at the other Candidates, furious at herself. She'd erred horribly in the last Touching and knew it--and in the Hatching, to boot.

The thought was enough to make her insides boil with shame and unquenchable fury.

Gritting her teeth hard enough that they creaked, she took out her hide and began to answer the questions written. She was not going to fail here, and she would eat this hide and her quill if they thought she would!

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Iathe

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To protect Pern from the menace of thread, and ensure that no one has to live in fear of losing their family, property, or livelihood.

Commendable.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I will absolutely do whatever is required of me for my Weyr, and the people of Pern. I have the intelligence, fortitude, and drive to do what it takes. I want to be a dragonrider.

Your loyalty and dedication is noted. A riders duty is to their dragon, their Weyr, and ultimately all of Pern.

Why did you accept Candidacy? I want to be a dragonrider. I want to fight to protect what is important to me.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? I believe it is our ability to adapt, while remaining calm and in control. Things happen at a Hatching that none of us can expect, just as things happen during a Fall that could never be predicted. Giving in to panic ensures that there will be casualties and failure.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Remain calm and carefully stay out of their way. Once the dragonet has moved on and they were able to move, I would make sure my friend moves off to the side to see the healers.

Exactly. While accidents do happen, vigilance is required during a Hatching, no matter the excitement or distractions surrounding you.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Remain calm and protect my vitals. Once I was able, I would move myself to the side. Once given the all clear from the healers, I would return to the sands.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With humility, but also with pride. It is a privilege that we are able to be here, at the best Weyr on all of Pern, with hopes of Impressing a dragon. As you said, we are not hostages. We are the next dragonriders of Pern. We represent our Weyr, and we must remember this always. Everything we do reflects upon High Reaches.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? (There are several signs of starting and stopping before an answer is finally given.) Poorly.

I allowed myself to be wrapped up in a young dragon's anger during the Touching. I attempted to interfere in a Hatching with a dragonet who was mauling a Candidate. My actions are shameful.

I will not be a fool who does not learn from my mistakes. I will remember what I have done, and act appropriately in the future.

Overall, commendable replies. It is difficult to school ones thoughts and feelings, but it is a practice we must learn, and continue to strive for. There will always be the possibility of a severe or instinctual response -- a dragonet's upset might not be over one negative thought, but an entire series of them. Keeping yourself composed will help keep, not just the babies safe, but your fellow Candidates as well.

Tomorrow, you will be joining W'tarl for further lessons.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:53 pm
Ionan hated lectures. He hated disappointing people, he’d always had, ever since he’d learned not to use his older sisters to help him steal sweets. He remembered that lecture, he’d been sent to his room by his father. This was infinitely worse than stealing a bubblypie with his older sisters. He swallowed and hesitantly raised his hand. Yes, he wanted to be a dragonrider. More than anything else on Pern. His entire family were dragonriders, or at least older candidates, Tassiel just hadn’t Impressed yet.

Would their mistakes prevent Tass from ever Impressing? He looked around for Kinye. He didn’t object when his knot was collected, but something clenched in his heart. Had he done anything wrong? He didn’t think so, but he had been concerned about the dragonets turning and attacking… Especially with his older sister by his side, she was like a sweet, a flakey, soft crust holding together an even softer center. He hadn’t wanted her to get hurt.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Ionan

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? I’ve always wanted to be a dragonrider, I was raised in the Weyr by a brownrider and a greenrider and I never thought much about other options. I want to fight Thread and make the Weyr a better place. I think that I want to be a dragonrider because I’ve seen what Thread does and I want to prevent that from happening to others.

Fair enough.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I was born in the Weyr, but I think that I have a right to stand because of my desire to fight Thread and having grown up among dragons. I have learned a lot in lessons.

Why did you accept Candidacy? I accepted because I feel it was expected of me. I was raised to respect dragons and their riders, and was always around them. My entire family has been dragonriders, or are currently candidates.

You say you feel it was expected of you. You also say, in your first answer, that you never thought of other options. I just want to ensure you this is what you want -- not just something you're doing because of where you were born or what your family is doing.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? I think the most important part of being a candidate is knowing that you don’t belong to you anymore. You belong to the Weyr and you’re going to have to face risks when you become a dragonrider. I know that I still have trouble with that part, but I think I’m learning…

I would not agree with the assessment you don't belong to yourself any longer. But what you must learn as a Candidate as that you will be making great sacrifices for the good of Pern and your fellows. Freedoms other Pernese might readily enjoy become more limited; at the same rate, what you gain is something few on Pern ever get to experience.

In a Weyr, the good of Pern and the good of the Weyr or the Wing supercedes the good of the individual in many cases. You might well give up your life, or shorten it by fighting Thread, but what you gain -- a lifemate who loves you above all else, who needs you more than anyone ever could -- is a reward to treasure as long as you have it. Additionally, any sacrifice you make is not for naught -- a life for the lives of those who would otherwise suffer if riders did not choose to rise up and fight.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? You don’t react and if you can, get out of the way as quickly as possible. A healer will help them, candidates aren’t trained in healing so it’s best to leave it to the healers to help.

Healers are trained to run to the fallen -- Candidates need to focus on the remaining hatchlings.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? I think it’s best to lay still, maybe protect your head and neck with your arms, and hope the dragonet doesn’t continue attacking you. You don’t want to fight back because you might accidentally hurt the dragonet or send it between.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? A candidate at High Reaches is to obey the candidatemaster and heed all lessons. They’re to listen to whatever the candidatemaster says. A candidate is not to be afraid on the sands, and if a dragonet comes to attack, to move out of the way. We are to act as the future dragonriders of Pern.

A Candidate is also meant to think. We're not here to make you drones, but if Candidates don't adhere to our rules, or start falling out of line -- that is when others get hurt or confusion begins to arise. Do what you can to follow the rules; keep your fellows accountable.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I think I had some difficulties because I was standing near my older sister and felt afraid when one of the dragonets came near us. I need to learn how to control my emotions better and not worry so much. I think otherwise, I followed the rules, I didn’t go near a dragonet, I just stood near my sister.

As a dragonrider, loved ones might Impress, but they also might get hurt or killed in the line of duty. Don't be afraid of the dragonets -- they usually won't hurt you. If you focus on keeping the fear at bay, you might better protect not just your sister, but your fellow Candidates.

You will join with W'tarl's group to continue lessons tomorrow morning.  

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 pm
Veltanna watched G’rel pace. That was a look she was more used to seeing on a man like her father. It caused her concern. Something was going to happen today. Giving up her candidate knots was not one she could ever have imagined. But she did, all the while wondering what the man was playing at.

Like so many others, her hand went up quickly. This was a decision she had already thought through. The next few moments were shocking. And they did their job. Veltanna was taking the man seriously. He was angry and, she had to admit, rightly so. They had all been lucky. And everyone knows that luck runs out.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Veltanna

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? It has been something I always assumed would happen. But that isn’t why I want it. I want it because to be united with a being in that way can’t happen anywhere else. It gives purpose and guidance to life.
There's more to dragonriding than being bonded with your lifemate. With that great joy will come inevitable pain. Just make sure you're in it for the long haul.
Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? There is something inside each rider that says, ‘yes, I will live my life for another.’ It is hard to hear sometimes. It took me a while to find after Thread fell. But I hear that voice inside me.

Very commendable. I hope it's a voice you'll always listen to, whether you Impress or not.

Why did you accept Candidacy? I accepted before Thread returns, expecting a very different future. I chose to remain after Thread returned because we can’t just stop walking a path because it gets difficult. And if we all stop then the whole world stops. That is not acceptable.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Learning. There is the physical training, but it is the emotional learning that is needed for preparing to share a mind with another.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Take a deep breath, let it out, and step backwards. You can’t control the impulses to react from happening, but you can control how you act on the impulses.

Exactly.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Take a deep breath, let it out, and don’t fight back. Easier said than done.

Make sure you do try to protect yourself. Your head, your neck, your face, your stomach if it's terribly exposed. Just play dead and try not to fight back. The dragonet should move on.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With integrity and like their actions will be judged by the world.

As a rider, your actions WILL be judged by the world.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I have cried and flinched. I am not ashamed to admit. Perfection in action is not possible after all, though there is always improvements to be made. I could have done a lot worse. I could have done better too.

I'm not asking for perfection. You're not meant to be mindless drones. All you need to do is think, and keep striving. If you find yourself emotionally distressed, do what you've said above -- take some deep breaths, focus on the training and tips. Emotions are always going to run high, but if you're trying to calm yourself, or self-soothe, to not be full of terror, or throw an onslaught of negativity at the hatchlings or eggs, that's all we ask.
Proper discipline -- falling to pieces might not be allowed, but we're not asking you to turn off your feelings. Just not to be overwhelmed or throw them back at the Hatchlings.

You'll go with W'tarl's group tomorrow for additional lessons.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:10 pm
W'tarl

Altoth was a nervous wreck on the other side of her bond with her beloved. She could absolutely feel the hammer coming down inside with the candidates. Soothing her put an extra gruff look on W'tarl's face as he took the basket from Gr'del, which in turn made him look...somewhat less nurturing than he usually did as he collected the knots from the former-Candidates. It didn't mean he liked it anymore than they did. Hell, he knew for a fact that Gr'del himself wasn't particularly thrilled about the entire ordeal either. But clearly, some muscling was going to be required.

Especially if any of their candidates got the idea in their head that the behavior of any others - not that he would pretend Western's had been any better behaved, an embarrassing ordeal all around - would somehow lessen the trouble for their own. If he'd behaved like a deadglow all those turns ago, Altoth - his poor dearest - would have lept between with no hesitation. Some of these assembled now knew that already and would regain their knots quickly...

others?

Well, W'tarl didn't spend much time beyond the candidate or two that had to be sent away even after Sarclos had been a shining example of the fire that was being lit under everybody. It was better they n** everything there in that room, rather than wait for any of the Goldriders to start throwing candidates off of the sands for their behavior. It would be food for thought for many of these children.  

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:17 pm
[U leave me out of any raffle!!]

Kinyegele

She'd raised her hand, like many of the other's, but....Kinye was trying to not look like a soft, sad child as she took off her candidate's badge, giving W'tarl a doe-eyed and very pathetic look as she put it in the basket, then looked down at the hide in front of her. Oh, she'd barely got to meet any dragons and now they were going to take away her chances. Of course, this didn't account for her actually potentially gaining her candidacy back, it just...

she was very nervous all of a sudden as she began to write.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Kinyegele

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? My whole family is full of 'em! I want to serve like they do!

Commendable.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I don't have a right, I have a priviledge.

Why did you accept Candidacy? I

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate?

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends?

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you?

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act?

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act?

Kinye's writing smeared off the page as she stared at the questions as they seemed to grow more and more difficult. She was doing her very best, but.......did she deserve to stand and impress a dragon? She'd always felt as though it was owed to her, and even though she hadn't put that down on the paper...

She'd been so good on the sands...

She'd been....

sigh

I see you left most of your paper blank. Did you not know how to answer?

Tomorrow morning, you will not be going to lessons. I will send for you as I can so we can discuss your answers -- or in this case, the lack therof.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:23 pm

As he let the lecture wash over him, Fehral sank further and further into his chair. Which was, admittedly, a bit difficult to do at his height. Yet somehow, he managed. A profound sense of shame beat through him, and his eyes welled up with unshed tears. Keeping them that way meant biting his lip. He'd raised his hand as quickly as anyone else when asked whether he wanted to be a rider - to... to be a rider, to even have the chance, was the greatest honor he'd ever known. He'd. He'd.

He'd.

He'd... wanted...

He'd wanted to make Gr'del proud of him. To, maybe, make Gr'del... know how much this chance had meant to him. That. He'd never had anything so good as what the Weyr had given him, and. Hearing those words made his heart just sink into the pit of his chest. Faranth, he was just a failure. The worst. The worst failure. He'd. He'd... been a fool. To think that he could ever be anything more than a grunt who shifted rocks. And.

W'tarl stood by his desk, and Fehral numbly placed his own knots (the most precious item he'd ever owned) into the basket. Had to swallow the tears that action brought. He didn't even know what he'd done, except maybe he'd been focusing on Chayrel a bit too much, rather than on dragons. And. It wasn't that the dragons weren't the most important. Shells.

They might as well send him back to Nabol. He belonged in the mines.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Fehryal
Probably about 20. So close! Very good try!

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? becus I lov dragens and I wan to maek yu prod. An becus I wan to fit thred.

Very good.

Because I love dragons and I want to make you proud. And because I want to fight thread. Very close. Watch out for silent letters. : )

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? don kno jus got lucki

I don't know. Just got lucky.

You got more than lucky. You were Searched. You have a right to be here -- I just want to know what you think of yourself, or why you might speculate you were chosen, above others.

Why did you accept Candidacy? bes things evar happnd to me

No swallowing your T's. Best things that ever happened to me. Don't forget punctuation now, either. It's important, but you'll get there.
You've made excellent strides!

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? maekin sur dragens fin thir ridurs

Making sure dragons find their riders.

This is important, yes, but it's also making sure you are prepared to handle the stress that comes with dragon riding. Making sure you're able to handle sharing a mind linked to another.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? don bug them. stan bek.

Don't bug them. Stand back.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? hol still an thing gud stuff at em

Hold still and think good stuff at them.

Also, protect your vitals -- your head, neck, eyes, stomach, if possible.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? digneti an respet

Dignity and respect.

Very true!

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? wors

Worst.

I don't think your behavior was the worst, Fehral. You've picked up what we've been trying to tell, and you seem to genuinely want to be a rider. Go to W'tarl's lessons tomorrow with the rest to continue your lessons.

Also, keep practicing. I'll have new vocabularly cards and some spelling tests to send you're way. You're getting there -- don't give up!

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

LyriaSilverfrost

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:25 pm
Absolute silence and rapt attentiveness: their Candidatemaster would brook little else. The look in his eyes told her that much, something about his posture and the sharpness in his presence commanding immediate compliance. The young woman respected him as both a tutor and a man, always finding his way of imparting knowledge particularly effective. She--like most of her rank--found him a likeable person. Yet that thought wavered upon seeing him in such a state - this was not the familiarly fond mentor. This was a man to be deferentially listened to.
Her pace upon entering the hall slowed a fraction with the eerie sense of foreboding crawling up the back of her neck. However, Lyria took a forward seat and settled in. Gr'del's movements were followed nigh-unblinkingly by icy orbs that tracked him, comprehension dawning over her features only for them to be schooled into impassive composure as quickly, her emotions shadowed like a midwinter moon. She knew why they were here.

That practiced calm fractured when he issued the order for the removal of their knots. A similarly shaped feeling at the pit of her stomach tightened and roiled with ice and fire at once, and she swallowed against the raw sensation. Ah, but even this symbol was not all-powerful. She did not need the knot to be her best self. An element of trust came with the act of closing her eyes for a moment to bolster herself; for what, she didn't know. The candidate opened her eyes again and reached up to undo the precious amulet, cupping it in a palm until it was time for it to leave her hand into the care of W'tarl without a second glance. For her part, Lyria's lips remained sealed and her expression inscrutable.. but her focus was unerring on the Candidatemaster. Without waiting for him to finish his sentence, her hand lifted, a fluid motion at her wrist bringing her digits up in martial attention. Nevermind that her small stature technically made it low - it was cloud-height in spirit.
That fool boy's scrambling departure barely registered in her mind.

That knot in her stomach began to loosen at the mention of the ability to earn their patterned badges of honor back. There was no mistaking the way her back straightened, body seeming to perk with renewed determination that did not translate to her expression - porcelain focus. As she bent over her hide and stared at it in a blank search for words, the sentiments Gr'del shared with them on the honor of their position reentered her mind. Buzzing nerves simmering to peace, that irrefutable reverence for Dragon and Weyr danced through her mind's eye, a summer muse. Her quill touched the hide, and she began to write.

---

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Lyria

Why do you want to be a dragonrider?
There are so many reasons. I want to make my mark on Pern; I need to do my part to contribute to its defense, and I cannot help but feel that this must be done on Dragon-back; I want a stable element to my life that does not rely on craft or rank to keep it razor-edged and infallible. Most of all, I want the chance to be recognized as something more than what my birth claims I am.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand?
My thoughts on why result in conjecture only, aside from one simple fact: I was found to be acceptable by a Dragon's standards, and by that determination I was bound for Candidacy. There is no simpler truth.

Exactly.

Why did you accept Candidacy?
Candidacy is the first step toward my aspirations.

Logical.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate?
Composure. So strong is the empathy of our subjects of study and objective that we cannot afford anything but.

Nicely said!

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends?
Remain calm, and do not allow negative emotions to enter the mind. An aggressively-roused dragonet should be presented with calming and loving thoughts in abundance, along with adequate distance as the space allows. Injury is to be treated as routine with clinical efficiency, and relation to candidates becomes irrelevant, no one more or less important than another. Once the dragonet moves away, if a candidate cannot take themselves to the sidelines, aid will be provided to assist. Prompt return of attentions to the hatching follows.

Quite a clinical response. Very good. While we understand feelings can be difficult to control, especially during the Hatching, we put these rules in place so everyone understands what to do in any given scenario.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you?
Remain even calmer. Recall that pain is only temporary; guard those places most important to survival and continue to think harmless, soothing thoughts. Once interest in the self has been lost by the dragonet, move to the sidelines (if able) to receive care, and if possible, return to the Sands thereafter.

Yes. Self-preservation is certainly imperative, as a baby Hatchling might well be seeking you out even amid an attack, but fighting back often results in making the situation far worse.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act?
With the dignity, honor, and intelligence of a potential Dragonrider as a future representative of the Weyr.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act?
In accordance with the standards expected of a High Reaches candidate - impeccably and unerringly. Our lessons are taught to be learned and implemented flawlessly; I feel I have done this justice.

Nicely done. You will report to W'tarl and his group in the morning for further instruction.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:56 pm
Ever the attentive student, Shar sat quietly at her desk with her eyes following Gr'del like a hawk. His speech might have been scary to some, but to Shar it rolled off like water from a dragon hide. He was addressing the group as a whole rather than singling out those that had misbehaved which was only fair. He was right in saying they were a team and that they would some day fly together and need to rely on each other to survive, after all. Those that didn't listen or didn't take this seriously did need to be booted out.

She raised her hand quickly but calmly, expression neutral save for the intensity that burned in her eyes. She was going to prove that she belonged here, no doubt about that.

Pulling out her writing implements she began writing down answers, never hesitating to think.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Shar

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To help defend Pern and its people and creatures from the threat of Thread.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? Weyrborn - Aside from my mother being an active dragon rider and the fact that she and her dragon raised me, I don't act as if a dragon is a prize to be won. I understood the concept that not everyone is a rider since I was very young and have worked hard to get to where I am today, not only as a Candidate but before I was old enough to Stand. The desire and effort that got me to become a Candidate are why I deserve to Stand.

You are right in that a dragon is not a prize to be won.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Before Thread returned I wanted to be able to help others with the assistance of a dragon. Now that Thread has returned I want to serve others by defending them from the danger it presents.

Pern needs its riders, but its rider are there to serve. Impression might be Dragon riding is a sacrifice.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Knowing that even though you are a Candidate, it doesn't mean you will become a rider, and accepting that from the start. Still put in the hard work and effort and even if you aren't chosen by the time you age out, you will have formed yourself into a strong, good person who can still assist the Weyr and Pern as a whole.

Impression is the ultimate goal of being a Candidate, usually, but those who do not Impress are not worth any less. Those who age out are often welcome to stay at the Weyr, and if nothing else, are often helped to find a place outside of it should they chose to leave.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Continue thinking positive, gentle thoughts while backing away from an aggressive dragon. Leave whoever is injured, the healers will see to them.

Exactly. Getting involved can distract you from keeping out of the way of another upset dragon.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Don't fight back, protect your vitals by covering your head and neck with your arms and hands, attempt to assume the fetal position to protect your torso.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With respect to all others, humans and creatures alike, to showcase what we have learned through our actions on the Sands, in classrooms, hallways, around the Weyr, and in the dorms, and with determination to see all tasks through to the end, whether or not the outcome is favorable.

Exactly![/color[

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? Better than previous Turns, I have been attentive and passive when dragons have acted out. I have kept my thoughts positive and I haven't engaged a dragon if they have been aggressive to those around me.

Excellent answers all around. Report in with W'tarl tomorrow to continue our lessons.

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Thaliawen

Cute Fairy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:57 pm
Tassiel's hand shot in the air as soon as the question was asked. Yes--he'd always wanted to be a dragonrider. What else could he be? As the lecture continued, he felt a lump growing in his throat. He could only listen and nod--and then his knot was collected, and the dam broke. His eyes began to prickle.

He had to earn that knot back. He couldn't lose it after six turns! Not after six turns of being a candidate! He sat and began to write, wiping his eyes with a hand. Blubbering wasn't going to help the situation.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Tassiel

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? It's something I've been wanting to do since I was very small. I want to protect the inhabitants of Pern, and I want to make the Weyr proud. I want to have that connection with a dragon. I want to fight Thread with my partner.

All solid goals.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I was weyrborn. Why I think I have the right? I don't know... I never thought about it, I never thought it was something I had to earn, I just thought it was what was expected and I wanted it. I think, maybe though, because I've worked hard and have learned so much in the six turns I've been a candidate.

It is a right for those of the Weyr to stand, certainly. But it isn't demanded of them and it is ultimately your choice. There is no shame in turning down Candidacy or not standing. That said, Candidacy is more than a title, and the knots you wear are something you choose to commit to as you would any craft.

Why did you accept Candidacy? I want to be a dragonrider more than anything.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? The words are too smudged to read. Someone was panicking when he wrote this.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? You back away, like you said, and hope you get out of the situation. You don't interfere, and a healer will be along shortly. Hopefully.

While it is hard to not go to a friend's aid, and in some cases near impossible, the dragons need you to be focused.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Lay still and protect your head.

This can be tricky but is the appropriate course of action. Fighting back only upsets them further.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? With humility, respect, dignity, and self awareness. We are the future dragonriders of this Weyr, we'll be protecting Pern from thread for years to come, we should act like it.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I thought I was doing well during hatchings, I stood and kept to myself. Maybe I could be more forefront with my thoughts.

Very good. You will go with W'tarl's group tomorrow, though I do need you to send me an actual legible answer on what the most important aspect of Candidacy.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 pm
Sickness was spreading through his stomach, through his entire being. It had been his very first chance to stand, been his very first opportunity and in the back of his mind he had let down Gr'del, had let down the entire Weyr that had given him so much. Sure, he'd only stepped out of line to reach out to a friend and pull them back towards the group, only stepped back to let the golden queen get a full view of the girls around him, but that itself seemed to be a colossal mistake in this exact moment, with this exact lecture. What would he do if the Weyr sent him away, he could always go back to Telgar and try to help them rebuild he supposed and then there was always the knowledge that he could age out, never meet a dragon that found him worthy enough to fight alongside.

In the moment every anxiety that he had, every bad memory and every reason why he wanted to stand burned through him and broke his heart to pieces as he raised his hand as fast as he could to his master's posed question. Without even a thought or a pause he ripped the knot from his shoulder and threw it in with the others, his expression hollow as he felt the opportunity he'd been given slip from his fingers. Sure, it was thrown out as a lecture for the entire group but he couldn't help but feel as though he deserved just as much as anyone else and as he felt ice flood through him he also felt his chest burn with the desire to prove that he did deserve it, that they weren't wrong to choose to let him stay after he'd healed up.

Pulling out the hide he would write on Rizdax took a calming breath and went about proving that he should be there, that he could earn that knot he'd just stripped off so quickly back. While there had been no hesitation in the face of his master's words, for he'd not wanted to go down the same path as Sarclos, he did not want to disappoint Gr'del either. He remembered what he'd been told when he'd been spoken to about Standing and he felt shame for having moved on those sands for any reason other than an attack, especially since he'd been told that had been a 'calm' hatching.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Rizdax

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? If it hadn't been for both the dragons of Pern and their riders so many more people would have lost their lives in the first days of Thread's return. If it weren't for them I wouldn't be here now and I want to try and save just as many lives as were lost at Telgar, to prove they weren't wrong for saving me, because I want to protect Pern.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I was brought here after Thread destroyed Telgar and was offered the opportunity once healed, I still feel extremely lucky to be here and I'll learn as much as I can and stand as respectfully as possible to prove they were right to do offer it.

Why did you accept Candidacy? Because I want to protect Pern and it's people from Thread, to do as much as I can to learn and stand beside the riders of High Reaches Weyr in that fight.

Excellent.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? Learning and growing so that you might one day become an effective rider if chosen by a dragon. To learn and do so is an opportunity not to be ignored.

Exactly. The lessons we teach might seem mundane, redundant, or simple, but they are the foundation for Impression. To be better prepared during every interaction with a dragon--be it an adult or a hatchling.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Remain calm and keep your thoughts even and relaxed, think as even and good of thoughts as you can manage, once the dragonet leaves make sure that the healers are alerted and make sure the friend gets to the edge of the sands and to the help they need. Never think violent or angry thoughts towards a dragonet, never react in a violent way to a dragonet.

Healers are always on standby watching. It is their job to be alert and look for the fallen. You must focus on the hatchlings. While helping a friend off the stands is common, it is encouraged to keep your eyes on the other hatchlings and eggs.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Keep your vitals safe and take a step back, don't fight back, don't react. Once the attack is over get to the healers as calmly as possible or call for help if you cannot.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? As respectful and proper as the Weyr deserves, this is an opportunity to most of Pern, not a right or a privilage that we are born into and it should be treated with the respect the opportunity is due. There should be no acting foolish, no being disrespectful, no being afraid. We stand for High Reaches and represent them every time.

Excellent answer.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I've only been lucky enough to stand for one, but I thought I handled myself well. It is my fault for stepping back to let the gold see the girls around me as I can't Impress to one but otherwise never touched a dragonet other than letting one touch me and kept my thoughts very calm. But I take responsibility for doing anything that might have spooked a dragonet, from stepping back once to going to retrieve a friend who looked as though she were upset. If these in any way were wrong I accept my consequences.

Stepping away from a dragonet is often encouraged. You were not wrong there. Retrieving a friend who is upset is not good behavior.
You are not there at the Hatching for your friends--you are there for the hatchlings. It sounds cruel, but those who cannot handle themselves will be seen to by other riders, or myself, personally. You will have time for friends before and after the Hatching. But in that moment, your focus should only be on the eggs and the dragons spilling out. Once the affair is over, you can go seek out your friends.

Solid answers. You will report with W'tarl's group to continue your lessons.

Hattaki
Crew

Lonely Phantom

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:36 pm
Juhvek

Juhvek both raised his hand, and relinquished his badge with little hesitation, his face serious and unchanging. It was very different from the expressive looks his sister would have been giving, but the only information he needed to share was on the page in front of him. He'd considered most of these when he'd returned to High Reaches on the back of a green dragon.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Juhvek

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? Because I wish to fight Thread.

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? I may have been born here, but I left to better Pern with my own hands. I have returned because I still desire to do the same thing. If I age out and devote my life to the betterment of Flamethrowers and damage control on the ground, I am still doing that duty.

Pern needs all of its people--not just riders or Candidates. You will do well regardless what happens.

Why did you accept Candidacy? If I am here repairing and improving Flamethrowers, I am doing good. If I impress a dragon, I am doing good.

You have given more thought to it than simply doing good, I presume? It is a very clear way to do good, to save the world, to help your fellow Pernese, but it also comes at great risk and sacrifice. Just be certain you are aware.

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? A calm, clear head.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? If it looks aggressive and I have the option, keep my distance. Keep a level head, do not act out of panic. Assess, react appropriately - do not touch a dragonet that is not mine.

This is the ideal behavior.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Lay there and die. Or not, depends on how it feels. Never fight back, protect vitals if afforded the chance.

Protecting your vitals is certainly the best opportunity, but at lying still, playing dead in a way, is usually the fastest way to get the upset hatchling to move on. Fighting only provokes them and might spook them Between.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? Collected, not hastily. We have been afforded the training of a prepared Weyr that has been ready to handle both threadfall and making sure even the newest of bonds are prepared to reach that eventuality.

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I minded the wishes of the young ones, but that is based solely on what I felt was communicated.

Fair enough answers. Report with W'tarl's group for further instruction tomorrow morning.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 pm
Fahn

Ohhh shards and trundlebugs! This seemed like a giant mess, now didn't it? Certainly, she was as eager as any of the rest, raising her hand when asked...hesitantly relinquishing her badge as well, though it was sent off with a frown and a longing stare. Oh, she was going to need that! But the fact that the dark haired young woman remained seated, despite looking like she wanted to vibrate through space and time right then, was a miracle in and of itself.

The attentive look she gave Gr'del was only partially true. While she caught most of his words, her mind was running at a thousand miles a minute - through the room, through the Weyr, replaying her morning, replaying the last week, replaying the last 2 minutes, replaying some series of hours from 10 turns previously in slow motion, then back to doing laps through time and space, thinking about everything and nothing all at once. The alert expression and the enormous grin on her face never faltered through any of it.

Oh, had the last Hatching gone poorly? Or was this about the one at Western? Oh, it was actually kind of upsetting, now that Fahn considered it, to realize that she had to ask.

Oops.

Well, she'd just..look at....OKAY! Focus on the paper! Time to write!!! Oh!!!! She was gonna have a fun time!!!!!!!!

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Fahn

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? [illegible]

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? [mostly illegible - the words 'cousin' and 'dedication' can be inferred if one squints hard enough]

Why did you accept Candidacy? [it looks to say something about purpose and moving forward. Maybe.]

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? [illegible] [ILLEGIBLE!!!!!] Dedication.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? [ILLEGIBLE!!!!!!]

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? [It might say 'don't fight back' or it may imply that Fahn is ready for a throwdown. It is really hard to read her handwriting]

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? [ILLEGIBLE!!!]

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? [It seems to indicate that she has been on very good behaviour...but she's not very particular about it.]

[It is obvious that this girl needs to focus on her penmanship because reading it is a mess]
Report to me directly first thing tomorrow so we can discuss your wherry scratch. Remedial penmanship lessons may be required.  

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

magnadearel

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:11 pm
Nalacko sat quietly, as the silence lengthened she shifted slightly nervous. She didn't think now would be the best time to try to be amusing. Despite being a candidate for only a short time, this was not how she'd come to expect lectures to go. No something was definitely afoot.

She was plainly shocked by the order to remove their candidate knots. That wasn't how things were done! At least she'd never seen all the candidates without their knots. Barely started and already she was kicked out? She slowly removed the precious knots, that she'd just started getting use to and dropped them into the basket in her turn.

She'd only just made the decision herself to become a candidate. Nala hadn't been totally sure she had wanted to stand in the first place, particularly after her father began pressing her to join the candidates. It had been only after some careful thought that she'd decided.

So when Gr'del asked for a show of hands who wanted to be a candidate, Nala hesitated a moment before raising her hand. She winced as he ordered another boy, man really, out. Ouch. She pulled out her hide and quill and viewed their quiz questions with dismay. Nala chewed on her bottom lip as she tried to answer the difficult questions.

Back to the Basics Quiz

Name: Nalacko

Why do you want to be a dragonrider? To make my mother proud.

Is that it?

Why do you think you were Searched? If Weyrborn, why do you think you have a right to Stand? We deserve to give the dragonettes a wide choice.

Why did you accept Candidacy? To make my mother proud

I'm sensing a theme. Did you have no desire to stand for Candidacy or was it purely driven based on another's thoughts and feelings about you?

What is the most important aspect of being a Candidate? To Impress our dragon?

Wrong. The most important aspect of being a Candidate is to learn how to control your thoughts and feelings. Impression is not guaranteed, but there will be times in your life--whether it's fighting Thread with a dragon, or helping a comrade in a Hold or Hall--where feelings run high. Learning control, discipline, and ensuring your prepared for the possibility of Impression is key.

What do you do if a dragonet looks aggressive, or does something harmful to one of your friends? Back away if they are aggressive, or pull my friend out of harms way.

What do you do if a dragonet attacks you? Play dead.

How is a Candidate at High Reaches expected to act? Like a High Reaches Candidate.

.... :/

How do you think you have behaved in recent Hatchings and Touchings? If you've never stood for one, how do you think you should act? I think I've done well at my first Hatching.

Please see me first thing tomorrow. I think we need to discuss whether or not you really want this, or if you're here simply because it seemed like a quick way to do your family proud. Some of your answers were a bit lackluster, so remedial training may be necessary.  
[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff