Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 pm
If anybody else enjoyed learning the Geography of Pern as much as Martirae did, she'd yet to have met them. There was something about the monthly lessons that resonated with some strange thing in her heart the same way the Caravans and Tithes had. A connection with something long gone that existed only as odd flavor text to the rest of her life. Even as others filed out, she lingered in the classroom, looking over the maps almost reverently.

Anakumath didn't understand the maps in the slightest but found she enjoyed them simply because her beloved loved them all so. Even shown them, they made no sense in the same way she could not read the written word of man.

I do wonder how closely the real thing will line up, though, Martirae said silently to the gold, her expression the almost constant mute it always seemed to be. A shield against those who perhaps would not have the best of intentions. A shield meant more for the young dragon she was forever linked to than herself in a way. Anakumath invited those who would do her harm in close, not out of blithe innocence, but because she didn't have it in her hearts to turn away even the worst. She would allow them the chance of a crime against her, and Martirae would be there to make sure those who did regretted it.

That the gold caught sight of a familiar blue - he did sleep in the wallow just next to hers, so he was a quite frequent face - did nothing to lessen Martirae's defenses. Samedith. How did this afternoon's lesson treat you? Is yours well? It certainly wasn't the first time she'd asked, and it would never be the last, but she'd ask until she was told with absolute certainty not to.

dawns_aura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 pm
Faranie sighed as she gathered her things. This was the one part of being a weyrling that she wasn't necessarily fond of, but she knew knowledge was an important thing as a rider. And there were things that were far worse than the Geography of Pern. She paused a moment to look at the maps, eyes drawn, almost despite herself, to Monaco. It had been so long...

What is it about this word that makes you so saddened, FaranieMine? He leant into her, draping his head over her shoulder to get a look at what she was seeing, as if by looking he could divine the answer to his query.

It's nothing, Dearest Heart. It is Turns and Miles and more than a lifetime ago. She reached to rub an affectionate hand on his cheek.We have a little free time, as soon as we can drop these things off back at the Barracks. If we have enough time, how about a little scale brushing, and oiling your ridges, they are getting a little dry, and we can't have that!

Samedith perked up at the thought of the extra grooming when he heard the gentle mindvoice of his golden cousin. She was so kind and pleasant. And he didn't get the chance to speak to her nearly enough. Greetings cousin Ana. He looked at His, then to Ana. This wasn't as dull as some. But... FaranieMine is... somewhat distracted. She keeps looking at the pictures, and the word Monaco, and she feels... melancholy. Flecks of yellow concern peeked out of the normal blue-green of his gaze. But they disappeared almost as soon as they appeared. And you and Yours? How was the lesson for you?

According to the map, Monaco was so much further away than she had remembered, but then... it had been almost ten turns since she had arrived here in High Reaches. Turns and Miles, and more than a lifetime ago. But that was then, this was now. And Monaco hadn't been her home for a long long time. No need to waste another thought on the place and the family she had left behind, if any had survived when Thread returned.

Shaking her golden mane slightly, she returned to gathering her things. Lesson over there was a little time before the next thing on the schedule, and she was hoping to take some time and just relax a little bit, and spoil Samedith a little, but that was always a given when she had the time. This whole rider thing was still more work than she had ever thought it would be.

She felt the inattention from Samedith, wondering just who it was he was speaking to, when she actually looked around. Most of her classmates had gone, but there was still at least one and their dragon it seemed. Gold Anakumath and … Martirae, she thought her name was. At least if she remembered correctly, and she was pretty sure she did, as she had taken the initiative to learn the names and dragons of the others who might end up useful or a detriment. But she hadn't spoken to the younger queen rider yet. An oversight that needed rectified, and now seemed to be as good a time as any.

'Good afternoon, Martirae. Anakumath. How has the day been treating you?' She seemed so guarded, it was difficult to know just how to approach her, so Faranie opted for neutral and at least pleasantly spoken, giving her the option to respond and encourage conversation, or to tell her to shard off if she so desired.

demon_pachabel

dawns_aura

Peaceful Demigod

demon_pachabel
Crew

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:39 pm
Samedith's answer turned Anakumath's head towards Martirae for a thoughtful moment before she looked back to her cousin again. I can't say I understand the maps much more. I know they make mine long for something. She draws maps herself, it hadn't been a particular secret, but it wasn't exactly one of those out in the open things either. I enjoy the lessons because she enjoys them so, however. Maybe that was a touch boring for an answer - it lacked a certain individualism, after all. But it was true because at the core of it, a happy rider made for a happy gold.

The moment Anakumath's attention had turned to Samedith, Martirae sharpened her idle attentions onto the other Weyrling still in the room, looking up to Faranie as she approached - but only then. Better to give no expectation that another would come over, or put them on the spot for conversation by staring too attentively.

"It's been a lot of work, but every day is," she answered, leaving the map where it was - this wasn't hers after all. Even if the marksmanship was pleasant. Turning in her seat, she looked up at the older woman, then over towards the two dragons for a moment. Side by side it was even more apparent just how quickly they were all growing - Anakumath already a neck longer. "I almost want them to just stay this small forever."

dawns_aura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 pm
“It is hard enough, busy enough for me and Samedith....I cannot even imagine the extra work you have to do. The extra administrative stuff... the extra history and politics... In a way it makes me glad that I have Samedith. One reason of so, so many.”

Samedith whirled his head briefly to turn adoring purple eyes to his soulmate. There were instances when he still felt unsure. When he wondered if she really chose him, would continue to choose him even though he wasn't the one she had dreamed of. To hear the words spoken aloud to someone else. That she still belonged to him, it soothed his hearts and that still small shadow that seemed to remain no matter what.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying something just because Yours does. I wish there was something interesting that Mine and I could enjoy together... Because all of the knowledge courses seemed so dull and boring... There were far more productive things they could be doing with their time – like plotting their rise to power, because why shouldn't they be more than anyone thought they could be?

Faranie followed Martirae's gaze to look at the dragons, seeing just how much they had grown. She felt a pang in her heart. For every day they grew larger, stronger, and one step closer to the duty they were born and bred for. The danger, the threat, and the possibility of losing more than just their lives, but the thought of losing their dragons... She knew and it was becoming more and more clear to her, that she could very possibly die. That tomorrow wasn't necessarily guaranteed, and as a blue rider she was more likely than most to be put at the front lines in the midst of the heaviest danger because her dragon was chromatic and thread fodder, expendable. Martirae was fortunate in that Hers was metallic, and important to the safety and future. That she would not be as apt to be in danger.... So there was a trade off.

“It would be wonderful if they could stay so small, and as perfect as they are now, without having to worry about the dangers and the risks... but it is what they were born and bred for... It is what we are trained for. Not that that makes it any easier... but it is still far enough off. Though the time will more than likely fly by, and they will be grown in the blink of an eye.”

demon_pachabel

dawns_aura

Peaceful Demigod

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas