Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
Enoch, the Watchtower, and rightly handling Scripture

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 am
by Luke Wayne
2/22/17

The Watchtower Society (the governing body of the Jehovah's Witnesses) purports to be Christ's "faithful and discreet slave." It is only through them, they claim, that a person can understand the scriptures:

"All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the 'greatly diversified wisdom of God' can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave,"

Read more: link  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:36 pm
The only thing I would add is that, though this wasn't the case with Enoch...

Quote:
So God rewarded Enoch by...killing him? [...]

...sometimes death from YHWH is the reward to avoid living on the cursed earth any longer:

• 2 Kings 22:19-20 (NIV)

19 Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people—that they would become a curse[a] and be laid waste—and because you tore your robes and wept in my presence, I also have heard you, declares the Lord. 20 Therefore I will gather you to your ancestors, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place.’”

So they took her answer back to the king.

Footnotes:

a. 2 Kings 22:19 That is, their names would be used in cursing (see Jer. 29:22); or, others would see that they are cursed.

• Isaiah 57:1-2 (NIV)

57 The righteous perish,
            and no one takes it to heart;
        the devout are taken away,
            and no one understands
        that the righteous are taken away
            to be spared from evil.

2 Those who walk uprightly
            enter into peace;
            they find rest as they lie in death.

Particularly when YHWH is about to send mass calamity and He wants to spare them living through it. It's His call whether He keeps you alive through it or kills you to spare you even seeing it in the first place.

for the record, and not to detract from Enoch:
      • Genesis 5:24 (NIV)

24 Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.

• Hebrews 11:5 (NIV)

5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.”[a] For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.

Footnotes:

a. Hebrews 11:5 Gen. 5:24

I suspect something similar to the following happened:

• 2 Corinthians 5:1-4 (NIV)

5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.

• 1 Corinthians 15:51-55 (NIV)

51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”[a]

55 “Where, O death, is your victory?
            Where, O death, is your sting?”[b]

Footnotes:

a. 1 Corinthians 15:54 Isaiah 25:8
        b. 1 Corinthians 15:55 Hosea 13:14

• 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 (NIV)

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

The raised from the dead aside, there will be those still alive in the future who will be swallowed up by life / transformed, bypassing death like Enoch.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces