Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions
John Lake and the Healing rooms

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:05 pm
© 2009 Let Us Reason Ministries

It is a good thing to pray for people to be healed. We are told to ask and it’s a wonderful thing to see your prayer answered by God. It matters not if one is a ministry, or an individual or a church that would see this take place.

Some of the names that stand out as healers are Smith Wigglesworth, William Branham and John Lake. To prove much of what they did is sometimes like looking for a quarter in a fog. The stories of these men are can be blurred between truth and fiction. These men are considered to be in their own category of “doing greater works”. We find men such as Kenneth Copeland, Roberts Lairdon, Mike Bickle and many others refer to john Lake as a prime example of exhibiting miraculous healing power, and the stories seem to be never ending. Lake is held in high esteem, as if he is not tainted by any false teaching or practice. But his past reveals otherwise. He is used as an example of modern Pentecostal power and referred to- much like William Branham and other (Pentecostal healers) are, despite the apparent controversies on certain points of false teaching.

Read more: link  
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:13 pm
On this point:
Quote:
[...] this is why Paul asked a certain group in Acts 19:2 if they received the Holy Spirit when they believed. Because that is when we are baptized by the Holy Spirit (See also Eph. 4:30; Acts 10:47,15:8).

Not always the case.

Yes, "at the moment they believed" is the case in Acts 10:47, but elsewhere for instance, some time after believing in Jesus (not in the moment they believed)...

· so, despite believing and repenting of sin...some time after

• Acts 8:16-17 (NIV)

16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

- before believing and even repenting of any sin yet (i.e. John the Baptist):

• Luke 1:15 (NIV)

15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.

...granted, the latter is a special case / special vessel. But in light of these examples, we can't really put one specific point in time/procedure for how/when people receive the Holy Spirit. Sometimes it's before they believe, sometimes at the moment they believe, or even some time after they believe and ask for Him.

gaia_spoons

Though, in general, I do see something: that one should repent from sin first (as John the Baptist instructed and led people to do, before they received the Holy Spirit); thus, YHWH giving the Holy Spirit to those who obey Him, turn from sin, renounce it, then ask for Him to come dwell inside of them.

• Luke 3:2-3 (NIV)

2 during the high-priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. 3 He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

• Luke 3:8-15 (NIV)

8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 9 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.”

10 “What should we do then?” the crowd asked.

11 John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

12 Even tax collectors came to be baptized. “Teacher,” they asked, “what should we do?”

13 “Don’t collect any more than you are required to,” he told them.

14 Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?”

He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.”

15 The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah. 16 John answered them all, “I baptize you with[a] water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with[b] the Holy Spirit and fire.

Footnotes:

a. Luke 3:16 Or in
        b. Luke 3:16 Or in

• Luke 11:13 (NIV)

13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!

• Acts 5:32 (NIV)

32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.

...because He instructed to turn away from sin / set yourself (your mind and heart) against committing sin again, renounce wrong/wicked ways, and then ask for Him.

That's a general outline that we find here too:

• Acts 19:1-7 (NIV)

19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

Footnotes:

a. Acts 19:2 Or after
        b. Acts 19:6 Or other languages

So, even in Acts 19 that he referred to, it wasn't at the moment of belief either. But after, when Paul placed his hands on them a.k.a. they, together, asked for Him in prayer, He came on them.

x

On a similar note, there is no specific miraculous sign upon receiving the Holy Spirit that one must demonstrate. Aside from John the Baptist's example who, as a special vessel filled with the Holy Spirit since the womb, wouldn't even be able to tell you, "yeah I spoke in tongues as a fetus", no one witnessed any signs from him whatsoever even as an adult despite being filled with the Holy Spirit...

• John 10:41 (NIV)

41 and many people came to him. They said, “Though John never performed a sign, all that John said about this man was true.”

...there were also examples of men prophesying in the Holy Spirit and not doing so again:

• Numbers 11:25 (NIV)

25 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke with him, and he took some of the power of the Spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders. When the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied—but did not do so again.

So, not only should we NOT make any strict formulaic pattern about the timing that a person receives the Holy Spirit (before, at, or even after one believes), neither should we make strict declarations about any particular miraculous sign one must demonstrate as proof of Him being in you. It's not always speaking in tongues, it's not always prophesying, and there may be no miraculous sign evident from you at all in your entire life, like John the Baptist.

In my opinion: the greatest sign should be utilizing Him to put your fleshly nature to death.

• Romans 8:13 (NIV)

13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

But even in this, depending on your walk, especially if you're new & immature in the faith, it may not be evident to all. At the very least, you will know He's in you when, in your mind, you no longer disagree with God, no longer hostile to what He says, and now have power to say no to sin that you didn't have before even though you may still struggle.

• Romans 6:6 (NIV)

6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with,[a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin—

Footnotes:

a. Romans 6:6 Or be rendered powerless

• Romans 6:12 (NIV)

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

• Romans 7:22-25 (NIV)

22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[a] a slave to the law of sin.

Footnotes:

a. Romans 7:25 Or in the flesh

• Romans 8:7-9 (NIV)

7 The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8 Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

Even if you fall into temptation, just the fact that you no longer hate God's Law in your mind will be a sign that He is in you. But remember to renew your minds with the Word of God so that the worldly don't take your mind captive and the Holy Spirit can bring truth to your remembrance, reminding you about what the Word of God says, to combat the lies you hear, and pray so you stay in line with the Spirit instead of the flesh:

• Romans 12:2 (NIV)

2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

• Psalm 40:8 (NIV)

8 I desire to do your will, my God;
            your law is within my heart.

• Psalm 19:7 (NIV)

7 The law of the Lord is perfect,
            refreshing the soul.

The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
            making wise the simple.

• John 14:26 (NIV)

26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

• John 15:26 (NIV)

26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

• Psalm 119:43 (NIV)

43 Never take your word of truth from my mouth,
            for I have put my hope in your laws.

• John 17:17 (NIV)

17 Sanctify them by[a] the truth; your word is truth.

Footnotes:

a. John 17:17 Or them to live in accordance with

• Ezekiel 36:27 (NIV)

27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

• Mark 14:38 (NIV)

38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

By praying—in line with the Word—you submit your mind to what pleases the Spirit instead of leaving your mind on the flesh.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Cults, heresies, Pseudepigrapha and other religions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces