User Image User Image

“I see the rock that Hadar described!” Nayu looked up towards Amequohi, ears perked.

“Oh! Wonderful, wonderful! Thank you!” The hawk landed on her back as the lioness began to trot in the direction she’d indicated. As the strange rock formation loomed in the distance, the sound of an unfamiliar growl reached Nayu’s ears. It was the only warning she got as she backpedaled to dodge a lioness that could only be related to Hadar somehow. The other female was bigger than her, and obviously a fighter. The sandy lioness’ ears pressed back towards her skull, tail lashing behind her and hackles raised.

“The borders are closed, stranger. Turn back now.” Nayu’s eyes widened, and she shook her head, trying to ignore Amequohi mantling her wings.

“Hadar didn’t mention the border being closed! I...I just wanted to speak to his mother, like he suggested.” The lioness before her seemed to soften a bit at the mention of Hadar’s name, snarl turning into a frown.

“You know my son? And even with his...talent, I doubt he’d have known what happened.” The lioness reached a paw out to move Nayu’s head about, inspecting her with narrowed crimson eyes. “Hmm...you’re not a fighter in the least. Barely a hunter.” Nayu made a noise of indignance.

“Excuse you! I’m quite a skilled hunter! Mother and Father taught me well!” She took another step back, taking herself away from the other lioness’ paw. “You’re Hadar’s mother? Is...is everything okay? I just...I just wanted to ask about the Leadership god and his mate…” That got a laugh out of the larger lioness for some reason.

“You...really? He sent you all this way just to ask about a story long since lain dormant? Yes, I am Chavah, Hadar’s mother and Soldier of the Pridelands. You will stay right there, on that side of the border, but I’ll entertain you.” Amequohi made a noise of disapproval, but Nayu made a noise at her that seemed to calm her.

“Alright. If that is how it must be.” She circled where she was, allowing her companion time to hop to the ground before the sandy lioness sat. “I want to know if you know where the god of Leadership is, or his mate. The one he was fighting to rescue. Or the blind lioness. I...he told me their tale, and I...I can’t believe it ended with nothing.” Chavah looked sad and sighed, shaking her head.

“I’m afraid it did, child. We never could rescue poor Bokoboko, and Primitus and Kipofu found their way to a very...odd pride last I knew. I would exercise caution if you choose to go there. I remember Primitus mentioning the lions there carried a disease. Not one easily passed, but devastating when it was.” Nayu made a noise of displeasure, shaking her head.

“I won’t let it rest there!” Perhaps she wasn’t ‘worldly’, but she believed that everyone with a good heart deserved a happy ending! “What ah...what do this ‘Kipofu’ and ‘Primitus’ look like? I will find them, and speak with them.” Chavah sighed, shrugging her shoulders.

“Well aren’t you just an odd little thing? If you really want to know, I’ll tell you. But I’d best see you turning around and leaving shortly after I tell you.” She paused. “I...I know I may seem harsh, but this pride has seen enough trouble. We need time to recover before newcomers poke back in. Especially if they don’t plan on sticking around.” Nayu nodded, glad the other hadn’t been aggressive without reason before.

“I understand. And I’ll leave once I know what I need.” That seemed to satisfy Chavah, who smiled slightly.

“Good, good. Ah...how to describe them? Primitus is a god, a big one. Blue and grey, with great wings that are filled with stars. His eyes glow like fireflies. Kipofu is the color of rich clay and sunsets and the night sky, with pale eyes that never seem to quite focus on anything. She’s often got a bright red ratel leading the way; Nasiha acts as her eyes. I...hope I described them well enough.” The soldier smiled sheepishly. “My mother is better with words than I am. Better at knowing how to describe the faces that go to the names. Me? I’m a fighter.” Nayu shook her head, small little smile on her muzzle.

“You’ve got your own way with words. I think I’ve enough to go on. Don’t we, Ame?” The hawk nodded, pondering already.

“Yes, yes we do. They sound easy enough to spot from up in the sky or down on the ground. Between the two of us, I think we’ll find them in no time!” Nayu nodded excitedly, turning her golden eyes back to Chavah.

“Thank you for indulging us! We’ll be going now!” She stood, waiting for Amequohi to hop back onto her back. The other lioness looked nervous, then reached a paw forward.

“Would...would you come back this way, when the borders open again? I...I would like to know the end of the tale.” Nayu looked at her with surprise, but giggled.

“Certainly! You were a part of it, it’s only fair you know the ending as well!” With her hawk companion settled comfortably on her back, the sandy lioness started away from the border, intent on seeking out this ‘diseased’ pride. And Chavah began her patrol once again, hoping the murders were solved and the missing lions found...soon. She hated the borders being so closed, so...unfriendly. It just didn’t feel like home ought to, and it rubbed her the wrong way, more so than the cult. She didn’t like her first reaction having to be distrust and uncertainty, turning away friendly faces. Home had changed, and not at all for the better. It weighed heavy on her heart, and she could only imagine it weighed even heavier on the hearts of the King and Council. Someday, things would be back to normal...she hoped.