Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:33 pm
User Image

Mhina was a quiet lion who enjoyed peace. He had stayed out of trouble when he was younger, even as his brother got tangled up in a rebellion but it didn't mean he didn't recognize how much had changed just in his short lifetime. Maybe it was guilt over that, though, that led him to take a more active role in more recent events. Active, if you could call it that.

When the moon disappeared, Mhina was among the most disturbed and lost without it. Now it had come back and there was no clear reason why it had gone or why it had come back.. so he did the only thing he could think of and he prayed. He was due to hunt before the end of the night so his options were limited. Instead of his usual spot, he found somewhere quiet with a clear view of the sky. He sat down, raised his head and closed his eyes.

It wasn't a full moon or he would have company but he knew the Great Lion would hear him. If this was all he could do in the High Class, that was fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Atz'mayiy was wandering the pride as suited her current fancy when her eye fell upon a familiar form. Mhina was...sitting? Quietly doing...nothing? Well, he was her son and therefore she had a right to make sure everything was okay. As the older lioness came near, she realized his eyes were closed. Her own green ones sparkled with mischief.

As quietly as a Guard could stalk, which was much less so than a Huntress, Atz crept up behind her boy and gave him a soft shove with the top of her head into his back.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:30 am
Mhina was so engrossed in his prayers and religious speculation that he was completely oblivious to the approach of his mother. His consciousness was in the stars with the Great Lion when suddenly his head was shoved forward and he jumped right up to his feet, his full attention coming back to his surroundings at a dizzying speed.

"What! Who-"

He turned and saw his mother grinning mischievously at him and he sighed.

"Oh, it's just you."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:19 pm
"Oh yes, just little old me," Atz replied cheerfully. "And what exactly is my young man up to, staring out at nothing at all?" she pressed, nuzzling him like the cub he wasn't. Of course, as any parent would say, he'd always be her cub.

She simply also knew that her adult children hated being treated like cubs by their mother. Which was all the more reason to do it in her mind. Not to mention that far too many of her cubs seemed to take life Very Seriously, like so much of the pride.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:34 pm
Mhina sighed when his mother nuzzled up to him but he didn't fight her. It wasn't an argument he wanted to have again, and truthfully the tone of voice bothered him more than the open affection. He loved his mother, he didn't think that was strange at all. He did frown a bit when she said he was staring out at nothing at all.

"I wasn't staring," he said, "I was praying."

His mother wasn't a slave but she wasn't as high up as her children. He prayed for many things but the safety of his mother was among the most common. Hivyo, Kotuli and Alkina had their status. Mom, Ucheshi, Nadra and Asani had some but it didn't hurt to think of them more often.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:38 pm
"Well, I suppose that's nice," Atz'mayiy replied. Given that the pride was rather strong on religion, she couldn't be that surprised. Mhina had always been a quiet one, but she wasn't sure she recalled a religious bent.

"Did you want to be a Priest?" she asked. Then the pride would help support his prayers. Or, something like that. She didn't want him to become a pariah like Nyeusi, though the purple lioness thought the black's actions were highly entertaining.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:57 pm
He shrugged and swayed back and forth thoughtfully for a moment at the question about becoming a priest. Of course it was something he thought about, though the pride favoured lionesses for the positions because they were more stable.. he didn't intend to marry outside of the high class but that didn't make him any more eager to fill one of the ranks.

"I don't think so," he said, "I don't think I'd want to do anything quite like what they currently do, maybe a historian.. but I'm happy to hunt instead."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:00 pm
"Hunters are always needed," Atz agreed. The way the population had grown over the past several years, hunting groups were kept very busy trying to supply food to everyone. The lioness herself could kill as well as any Hunter, but her inclination to laugh aloud whenever she was amused didn't exactly help when sneaking up on prey. It was one reason she stood as a Guard.

"I'm glad you choose to help the pride," she said.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:11 pm
Mhina smiled at first but it turned into a frown at the mention of his choice to help the pride. He couldn't help but think about how Kotuli and Hivyo had chosen to be noble layabouts rather the contribute properly. And worst of all, Hivyo married the would-be king who shrugged off his duty to do the same. Obviously it was better to step down after what happened with his father but choosing to do nothing was annoying at best.

It definitely colored his opinion of his brother's husband, and made Hivyo's situation seem worse than Kotuli's. They should both have been doing more, their positions could have be used for something good.

"Well, this place would fall apart if we all chose to sit around and be served," he said.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:14 pm
"And it would be a lot more boring!" Atz concluded cheerfully, omitting the politics Mhina was referring to. "After all, people who believe themselves to be best often have no sense of humor. Just look at where that got Shangyue!"

It was a tasteless joke. She made them sometimes. But not every joke hit its mark and so it was. Atz didn't care, she'd play pranks all day long if she could.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:20 pm
When his mother brought up Shangyue, his immediate reaction was not to laugh-- but he looked shocked for a split second before smiling and shaking his head. It was a very tasteless joke but there was truth to it, and an important reminder of something he couldn't let himself forget, even when he got lost thinking about how his siblings were wasting their potential.

"Does anybody ever laugh at your jokes, mom?"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:22 pm
The lioness paused to think for a moment.

"Ah, yes! A half moon ago, that strange lion in the lake laughed at one of my jokes!" Atz'mayiy smiled proudly. Bringing amusement to even one person made it worthwhile. Besides, she felt the pride needed people like her who were willing to do all they could to bring joy.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
"The strange lion.. in the lake.."

Mhina sighed. He knew there was a strange lion supposedly living there but he had not investigated it.. he was uncertain enough about the reality of it that he gave his mother a good hard stare for a few seconds before realizing she must be telling the truth.

"OK, well.. did you need something?"

What a strange conversation this had turned out to be. He had just wanted some peace and quiet..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:33 pm
"Do I ever need a reason to spend time with my cubs?" Atz asked, turning the question back on her son. It was the most typical response any parent could offer a child. To emphasize this, she nuzzled Mhina again.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:38 pm
"Of course not," he said with a sigh, but he stood up, shook off and put a smile on his face, "I have to go hunting tonight, why don't you walk me there so we can chat and I won't lose track of time."

Mhina obviously wasn't going to get to finish his prayers right now, but that would be fine. He ought not hurry away his own mother just for that. It didn't seem like she was eager to be urged off anyway.

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff