SEPTEMBER 19, 2019 | Trevin Wax

One reason we should consider periodic breaks from social media is because we need time for clearing the mind and disengaging from a world marked by a profound lack of reasonableness.

In Facebook comments and Twitter threads, unreasonableness is on full display. More and more it appears people are unable or unwilling to engage in rational debate and reasonable dialogue. Online discussions descend into a free-for-all in which everyone flings feelings at each another with no regard to the helpfully constricting restraints or rules that go along with something like, well, logic.

I love a good debate. I’ve written before that we need more not less arguing online, but by arguing I mean actual argumentation between people who are committed to reasoning together in pursuit of the truth. Note again, though, the need for reasoning, not quarrels that emerge from emotive outbursts and personal animosity.

If the world has veered away from reason and kindness in our disputes, then one of the ways a Christian will stand out in this generation is by embracing reasonableness.

Read more: link