Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

Speedira Windira

Mind-boggling Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:22 pm
People watching the toilet paper hoarders.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:07 am
Speedira Windira

THESE PEOPLE. I WANT TO SLAP THEM.
We legitimately needed toilet paper when all hell broke out, and my beau had sent a joke to me about maybe not being able to get any, but then the ENTIRE aisle for toilet paper was EMPTY when he got there!
We wound up having to ask our family bring some up from our hometown, plus some other needed essentials like water and eggs.
(Water is as bad a situation here as TP, my beau drove past Costco just to see, there was a sign OUTSIDE the warehouse saying "Line for bottled water starts here." )
And just, while we live in a state where restaurants, bars and the like have been closed and my beau is a chef, we weren't worried about money, my beau is salaried, we expected the company to continue to honor that salary, but the best comparison I have for this situation is like, the company was dangling a carrot on a stick, and then started beating the employees with the stick while eating the carrot, 'cause they told everyone they won't be paying anyone until the restaurant can reopen, and we're not expecting that to be able to happen for a month or more.
But, okay, the state is providing unemployment benefits to everyone, it'll be okay, right? HAHA, HAHA, HAHAHA.
This has been a whole ********, the company didn't provide the mass layoff code until two, three days after telling everyone to go ahead and file, we can't figure out how to update the stupid thing, there's no one available for the online chat function for the DJFS site, they're not taking calls about it (my beau tried, they wouldn't even put him on hold), and I don't know if we ever figured out the right hoops to jump through to even email them, and, AND, they won't even pay the full amount we were expecting to get! (Not that that would have been enough to pay all our damn bills, anyway, how the ******** do they expect any of the food service workers to SURVIVE?)
I'm just, ugh, me, my beau, and every single one of his coworkers are so angry we're ready to destroy things at this point, I'm so damn frustrated.
ANYway, I hope everyone else is doing better than we are right now. =w=;

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

nadeshiko hyuga

Blessed Waffles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:42 am
work piling up. coz im just the type of person who don't usually work at home. I either do it in a coffee shop of somewhere else. but whelp, i guess i'll have to force myself doing it somehow.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 pm
Queen Spazzy
Speedira Windira

We legitimately needed toilet paper when all hell broke out, and my beau had sent a joke to me about maybe not being able to get any, but then the ENTIRE aisle for toilet paper was EMPTY when he got there!
We wound up having to ask our family bring some up from our hometown, plus some other needed essentials like water and eggs.
(Water is as bad a situation here as TP, my beau drove past Costco just to see, there was a sign OUTSIDE the warehouse saying "Line for bottled water starts here." )
And just, while we live in a state where restaurants, bars and the like have been closed and my beau is a chef, we weren't worried about money, my beau is salaried, we expected the company to continue to honor that salary, but the best comparison I have for this situation is like, the company was dangling a carrot on a stick, and then started beating the employees with the stick while eating the carrot, 'cause they told everyone they won't be paying anyone until the restaurant can reopen, and we're not expecting that to be able to happen for a month or more.
But, okay, the state is providing unemployment benefits to everyone, it'll be okay, right? HAHA, HAHA, HAHAHA.
This has been a whole ********, the company didn't provide the mass layoff code until two, three days after telling everyone to go ahead and file, we can't figure out how to update the stupid thing, there's no one available for the online chat function for the DJFS site, they're not taking calls about it (my beau tried, they wouldn't even put him on hold), and I don't know if we ever figured out the right hoops to jump through to even email them, and, AND, they won't even pay the full amount we were expecting to get! (Not that that would have been enough to pay all our damn bills, anyway, how the ******** do they expect any of the food service workers to SURVIVE?)
I'm just, ugh, me, my beau, and every single one of his coworkers are so angry we're ready to destroy things at this point, I'm so damn frustrated.

Hey you. I just read this. I am so, so sorry. YOU'RE RIGHT. That's just wrong. SALARIED should be paid. SOMETHING. At the very least, they shouldn't be so unavailable where you can't even reach them in times of crisis. What are they going to be doing full-time anyway now that they've closed shop? I can't imagine applying for unemployment is easy. Ugh, hopefully someone can help you navigate the process so you can get some money, like some state worker to help you understand any of the president's emergency response measures or any temporary relief measures that may somehow put money in your pocket.

I'm okay. Working from home maybe.  

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 pm
nadeshiko hyuga
work piling up. coz im just the type of person who don't usually work at home. I either do it in a coffee shop of somewhere else. but whelp, i guess i'll have to force myself doing it somehow.

Yeah, it's so different. It's understandable that it would take a long time to adopt to this new world we are in. A lot of the restaurants, shops, bars, beaches, they're closed and so we have to make do I guess.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:26 am
Blind Blindness
Hey you. I just read this. I am so, so sorry. YOU'RE RIGHT. That's just wrong. SALARIED should be paid. SOMETHING. At the very least, they shouldn't be so unavailable where you can't even reach them in times of crisis. What are they going to be doing full-time anyway now that they've closed shop? I can't imagine applying for unemployment is easy. Ugh, hopefully someone can help you navigate the process so you can get some money, like some state worker to help you understand any of the president's emergency response measures or any temporary relief measures that may somehow put money in your pocket.

I'm okay. Working from home maybe.

Yeah, what they "did" was pay their share of the health insurance for the next month.
But they turned right around after patting themselves on the back for that and said the employees would still have to pay after that if they wanted to continue to have coverage.
And like? HOW???? Is anyone supposed to do that when they're not working?! (Also, idfk how to do that since they take the money directly from the pay checks usually and just like??? owo????? lol?)
Hilariously, I've somehow become the bread winner of the household; as luck would have it, I'm still on for my babysitting gig.
I think we can maybe just stretch the unemployment payments far enough to cover our bills, and since I'm still on for sitting kids and am getting paid for it, we'll have a bit for food. We won't be doing anything extravagant, but it won't be instant ramen for every meal, at least.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:07 pm
Not quoting you because it doesn't allow me to on the phone due to the date covering it lol
I'm glad you still have the babysitting gig. It sounds like his employer is being a cheapskate. Hey, I could never survive solely on ramen. Good you'll be able to eat more than that. But you have weathered economic storms in the past. You have the stamina and budgeting expertise. Not to minimize the difficulty of these times of course. We don't know how long it'll last. But I believe in you 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:36 pm
Blind Blindness
Not quoting you because it doesn't allow me to on the phone due to the date covering it lol
I'm glad you still have the babysitting gig. It sounds like his employer is being a cheapskate. Hey, I could never survive solely on ramen. Good you'll be able to eat more than that. But you have weathered economic storms in the past. You have the stamina and budgeting expertise. Not to minimize the difficulty of these times of course. We don't know how long it'll last. But I believe in you 3nodding

re: ramen every night; college was a weird, hard time. But there are a LOT of different ways you can make ramen (you can make a cheap and easy pasta salad with it that's not half bad). I think I still have a "ramen cookbook" around somewhere that my ma bought for me as a joke gift once.
It's not even, like, the head of the restaurant, it's people higher up the food chain being shitty, but they DID do a nice thing recently, for all the online gift card sales through the end of the month, all proceeds will be going to the associates. (So, uh, if you've ever wanted to eat at a Cameron Mitchell restaurant??? cat_xd jkjk, I'm not sure you'd even LIKE Ocean Prime, which is the only restaurant with locations outside of Ohio, and I'm uncertain how close any of the ones in your state are to where you live.)
We're not SUPER worried for the moment about covering cost of living (vaguely frustrated, to be sure, but not overly worried), all our bills for the month are covered, and we've family that can help if things get stupid.
Our biggest gripe right now is that we're supposed to officially file for unemployment soon (I guess what we already did was pre-filing or something???) and the blam site is COMPLETELY broken and inaccessible, so like???? LOL AGAIN???
(And of course, this right after our governor was BRAGGING about the guy in charge of making sure the site runs deciding not to visit a sibling on their death bed to MAKE SURE THE SITE CONTINUED WORKING. So like?? Did he.... decide to go after all??? Dafuq is wrong with you people?????)
And I'm just stressed out over all the stupidity that's abounding, so I... stress baked today.
I had picked up some gluten free flour super cheap before everything went to hell, no hand basket, and had some cookie recipes I've been wanting to try out, so a few days back the beau went to pick up the couple ingredients I was missing; butter, surprisingly still in stock; vanilla extract, absurdly completely sold out, what the actual ******** is wrong with people?
So I reduced the recipe to one eighth so I could do a half dozen trial run of my spiced shortbread cookie recipe without vanilla; good news, vanilla extract isn't really necessary, so if anyone else wants to stress bake and doesn't have vanilla, just skip that s**t, add a smidge extra sugar or a pinch of cinnamon or something if you're REALLY worried about the flavor.
Bad news, though, it's hard to tell when my cookies are done with this flour (a garbanzo, fava flour mix), so I sorta burnt the hell out of the bottoms. BUT the unburnt tops tasted AMAZING. So next batch I'll already know how long they'll need in my oven and PROBABLY won't burn them again.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 am
Queen Spazzy
Blind Blindness

re: ramen every night; college was a weird, hard time. But there are a LOT of different ways you can make ramen (you can make a cheap and easy pasta salad with it that's not half bad). I think I still have a "ramen cookbook" around somewhere that my ma bought for me as a joke gift once.
It's not even, like, the head of the restaurant, it's people higher up the food chain being shitty, but they DID do a nice thing recently, for all the online gift card sales through the end of the month, all proceeds will be going to the associates. (So, uh, if you've ever wanted to eat at a Cameron Mitchell restaurant??? cat_xd jkjk, I'm not sure you'd even LIKE Ocean Prime, which is the only restaurant with locations outside of Ohio, and I'm uncertain how close any of the ones in your state are to where you live.)
We're not SUPER worried for the moment about covering cost of living (vaguely frustrated, to be sure, but not overly worried), all our bills for the month are covered, and we've family that can help if things get stupid.
Our biggest gripe right now is that we're supposed to officially file for unemployment soon (I guess what we already did was pre-filing or something???) and the blam site is COMPLETELY broken and inaccessible, so like???? LOL AGAIN???
(And of course, this right after our governor was BRAGGING about the guy in charge of making sure the site runs deciding not to visit a sibling on their death bed to MAKE SURE THE SITE CONTINUED WORKING. So like?? Did he.... decide to go after all??? Dafuq is wrong with you people?????)
And I'm just stressed out over all the stupidity that's abounding, so I... stress baked today.
I had picked up some gluten free flour super cheap before everything went to hell, no hand basket, and had some cookie recipes I've been wanting to try out, so a few days back the beau went to pick up the couple ingredients I was missing; butter, surprisingly still in stock; vanilla extract, absurdly completely sold out, what the actual ******** is wrong with people?
So I reduced the recipe to one eighth so I could do a half dozen trial run of my spiced shortbread cookie recipe without vanilla; good news, vanilla extract isn't really necessary, so if anyone else wants to stress bake and doesn't have vanilla, just skip that s**t, add a smidge extra sugar or a pinch of cinnamon or something if you're REALLY worried about the flavor.
Bad news, though, it's hard to tell when my cookies are done with this flour (a garbanzo, fava flour mix), so I sorta burnt the hell out of the bottoms. BUT the unburnt tops tasted AMAZING. So next batch I'll already know how long they'll need in my oven and PROBABLY won't burn them again.

Ah okay, that's a nice thing for them to do. Though considering I've never heard of either one of them xD...though I just googled and there IS an ocean prime restaurant in Miami, but no surprise, it's on a busy boulevard and I don't like driving northeast. I just looked up cameron mitchell on google and went to this site where the picture they showed was veryyy fancy

That sounds frustrating with the unemployment. Technology problems in these times should be short lived if people don't want to go crazy. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

I baked cake with my friend not too long ago. It was good, but the middle was like falling apart. We thought we had put it in the oven for an appropriate amount of time, but I guess it wasn't enough. However, my friend said she didn't put it quite in the middle...so uneven heating distribution. We're going to bake cookies at some point. I think that's a great stress reliever and coping skill. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:27 pm
Blind Blindness
Ah okay, that's a nice thing for them to do. Though considering I've never heard of either one of them xD...though I just googled and there IS an ocean prime restaurant in Miami, but no surprise, it's on a busy boulevard and I don't like driving northeast. I just looked up cameron mitchell on google and went to this site where the picture they showed was veryyy fancy

That sounds frustrating with the unemployment. Technology problems in these times should be short lived if people don't want to go crazy. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

I baked cake with my friend not too long ago. It was good, but the middle was like falling apart. We thought we had put it in the oven for an appropriate amount of time, but I guess it wasn't enough. However, my friend said she didn't put it quite in the middle...so uneven heating distribution. We're going to bake cookies at some point. I think that's a great stress reliever and coping skill. biggrin

For the most part, CMR only operates in Ohio, the actual company president is from here and still lives here, and while he opens new businesses around the state on a semi-regular basis, he doesn't really expand outside the state, I think the biggest reason Ocean Prime is a national line is because he sold the rights to the name and entire concept once upon a time? (If I'm remembering the autobiography correctly. Which was a disappointing book, honestly, and not worth the actual cover price, but we got ours free, and it's even signed, but I digress.)
This is the official CMR site, if you're curious about the concepts we have up here, haha~ Most of the restaurants are high end, high price point, and if you wanna see a REALLY fancy joint, check out the photos of The Guildhouse; it's housed in a super high end hotel, there's a sizable amount of well known persons (sports teams, musicians, etc.) that stay there.
Ah, with cakes, you're going to want, like, a toothpick or bamboo skewer or something to poke the middle to be certain it's done; if the object doesn't come out clean, you'll want to leave the cake in a bit longer and check it again.
(Unless it's cheesecake, 'cause that's a whole 'nother animal, that one has to be judged with what I term a 'jiggle test.' Not to mention how much of a pain it is to water bath bake one of those buggers.)
I've a batch of cookie dough in my freezer right now, and this time with actual vanilla in it, I spiced it a bit different from the actual recipe, hoping to get chai flavored cookies. The dough tasted a little off this time 'round, and I know it's because of the flour I'm using, hopefully it'll lose the off taste once it's baked. I mean, the test batch tasted fine, so we'll see.

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100

Starving Filmmaker

Mega Loiterer

7,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:33 pm
Lucky to still be working (albeit from home) and getting paid in full.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:19 am
Queen Spazzy
Speedira Windira

x-x; Update razz eople are now stalking the paper aisles and have our trucks timed......

Jeeze,I hope things get better for you all! D:  

Speedira Windira

Mind-boggling Bookworm

Queen Spazzy

Vice Captain

Anxious Neko

42,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:00 am
Speedira Windira
x-x; Update razz eople are now stalking the paper aisles and have our trucks timed......

Jeeze,I hope things get better for you all! D:

Yeah, that sounds about right, really get to see the true colors of people during crisis, and most people seem to suck, like, a LOT. =w=;
We don't even bother with going to the store on the day they restock, not worth it, my beau goes a day or two afterward and we pray our necessities are somewhere on the shelves.
We're STILL not getting unemployment benefits as we should, the site is stupid broken, despite our governor and his henchpeople associates patting themselves on the back for doing such a GREAT job.
And we STILL can't get a call through to DJFS.
And apparently the chat function is ONLY for resetting some PIN or something, not for, you know, chat, like any sane, half intelligent person would be led to believe.
But hey, I've made some great cookies burning off all the stress from the situation, I'll take my victories where I can get them at this point.

Randomness is a Virtue!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff