Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Theology & Doctrine
A Common Denominator in De-Conversions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:42 pm
SEPTEMBER 9, 2019 | CALEB WAIT

As Christians in the West, we know we live in a secular age. Simply acknowledging that fact, however, doesn’t prepare you for when your friends or family members leave the church or abandon the faith.

Laura Turner’s recent article “Sixteen and Evangelical” summarizes almost exactly what my life looked like at 16. She describes her close group of friends whose relationships were knit by evangelical youth-group culture and how their “youthful zeal” seemed almost uncompromisable. Until, of course, age rendered such zeal incompatible with reality.

Why is this such a common story? Why does the youthful zeal of so many churched kids transition, over time, to the jaded cynicism of the de-churched? Much ink has been spilt diagnosing the reasons for these sorts of “de-conversion” paths. In this article I want to simply highlight one common denominator I’ve noticed between the friends who have stayed in the church and those who have left.

Read more:link  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 pm
They need a faith that is more than surface deep and that appeals to more than just emotionalism. This is one of my biggest problems with Evangelical churches. It takes more than just "feeling good" to want to remain invested.  

Yei of the Fire Nation

Firebreathing Comrade

Theology & Doctrine

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces