It's a bit weird 5/19

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:35 pm
Being laid off from one of my jobs, has given unemployment and the stimulus. more money per month than i used to make. I realize that it's a temporary thing, but, that coupled with the "I'm unemployed, I should be frugal" has given me a lot of extra money to save towards, well, probably a small house in a few years.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Yeah, it's a bit weird earning more per week through unemployment than I normally earn in biweekly paycheck.

At least I'll have a nice chunk to set aside for future travel adventures when it's safe to do them again. 3nodding  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:18 pm
I'm hoping that unemployment plus the stimulus check will help out.
The housing market is also probably going to take a hit, so, might be able to get a small house. I currently live in a 3 bedroom rowhome (like a townhome) with two others. But, you know, rent. It would always be better to instead of rent pay a mortgage so that in the end, you get to keep it and stop paying the mortgage/rent.  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am
I recently applied for unemployment myself, did the certification, and a payment was issued, though I haven't gotten it yet. I've never been on unemployment before, so I don't even know how I'm getting it or how it works? confused

That said, I ended up opening a IRA retirement savings account last week, and I'll possibly throw the extra from the government directly into it.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:50 pm
Zphal
I recently applied for unemployment myself, did the certification, and a payment was issued, though I haven't gotten it yet. I've never been on unemployment before, so I don't even know how I'm getting it or how it works? confused

That said, I ended up opening a IRA retirement savings account last week, and I'll possibly throw the extra from the government directly into it.

It's been awhile since I first applied but if it was anything like how my state's application is, it should have asked how you would like to receive your unemployment money (like direct deposit or mailed or whatever).  
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:25 pm
Yeah, I went with direct deposit. I apply on monday, they deposit it around wednesday. (sometimes thursday or tuesday)
At least here in Minnesota you apply each week for the check. Not sure if it's like that every state.

Yeah, should have asked between direct deposit, mail, or like, deposit into an issued unemployment card that they mail to you.  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 pm
wellwisher
Yeah, I went with direct deposit. I apply on monday, they deposit it around wednesday. (sometimes thursday or tuesday)
At least here in Minnesota you apply each week for the check. Not sure if it's like that every state.

Yeah, should have asked between direct deposit, mail, or like, deposit into an issued unemployment card that they mail to you.

Thanks for the info. I honestly don't recall them asking which method of payment I'd prefer, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee I didn't say pay card. rofl  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 pm
Not really sure why anyone would go for the pay card option when direct deposit or check in the mail is an option.

I mean.... What would you pick?
A check in the mail to deposit every week?
A direct deposit every week?
A direct deposit into a card we mailed you every week?  

wellwisher
Vice Captain

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm
wellwisher
Not really sure why anyone would go for the pay card option when direct deposit or check in the mail is an option.

I mean.... What would you pick?
A check in the mail to deposit every week?
A direct deposit every week?
A direct deposit into a card we mailed you every week?

I know some people who don't do direct deposit and prefer getting the physical checks in the mail, so they can automatically get it cashed out at the bank. Seems like a whole lot of work to me...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:53 pm
Well, that's probably something good it seems. I hope this helps answer your question. Take care of yourself!  

TheLuckyOne149

"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff