Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply West Coast & Mountain Conventions
SacAnime [Summer] 2024

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you plan on attending for Winter 2024?
  Yes!
  No
  Not sure
View Results

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:21 am
gaia_nitemareleft Aug. 30 - Sept. 1st 2024 gaia_nitemareright
gaia_crown Sacramento, CA gaia_crown

Links:
gaia_crown Home Site
gaia_crown Facebook
gaia_crown Twitter
gaia_crown Youtube
gaia_crown Volunteering

Notes:
gaia_crown Celebrating their 20th year!
gaia_crown Has a two cons a year(Dubbed Summer/Winter by the community to differentiate what half of the year its in even though sometimes the convention center is booked closer to actual Spring or Autumn.)
gaia_crown Anime, Western-animation, and pop-culture focused convention
gaia_crown Started as an extension of Sac-Con
gaia_crown For a relatively smaller con, they are known for having Big Name guests just as Don Bluth or the original voice actors of Disney movies.
gaia_crown Unfortunately they are also known for their poor COVID response and policies. (During lockdowns they intentionally changed their description and tactics to get around the city's red tape banning events of large scale in confined areas as we all tried to figure out how dangerous covid can be. Such as saying they were a 'partially outdoor swap meet' even though only cosplay gatherings were actually held outside. All events/dance/dealers hall/artists alley/etc were still in close closed quarters. Negative tests, vaccines, and masking were not well enforced despite what they told the city, and since self-reported covid tracing was still common at the time it was unsurprisingly marked a super-spreader event. Their covid policy is still very lax, please take that into account if you plan on attending. In the past there were also issues with higher Staff members enforcing double standards on their photography policies [playing favorites] and being slow to respond or not responding at all to harassment reports. With a new interim Con Head, the general consensus in organization, and better policies seems to be improving.)

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Edited to update dates and info

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:22 am
xinitia: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:28 pm
SacAnime is a medium-sized con in Sacramento, CA. It's going to be happening August 29-30. You should check it out if you get a chance!

x Angelic x Kitty x: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:26 am
I've been going to Sac-Anime since summer 2009. ^^ I'll definitely be at the upcoming winter one!! Still working on my cosplays, though........ xd

xinitia: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:31 pm

I actually got time off for the full Winter Sac-Anime this year!!! I'm super excited!!!

Who are you working on bringing? I'll be bringing Tadashi from Big Hero 6, Guy from Tales of the Abyss, and probably someone from Fairy Tail or Rave Master. If I can get it done, I'd like to debut R from Warm Bodies. My friend's currently working on getting Julie done. Fingers crossed!

x Angelic x Kitty x: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:50 pm

I'm gonna be doing both Clear and Virus from DMMD, casual Lita Kino from Sailor Moon, and a secret cosplay!! ^^

xinitia: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:20 pm

That sounds like fun! Ooooh! A secret cosplay, eh? You'd better post pictures when you're done!

xinitia: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 pm
Anyone else going to SacAnime this weekend? It should be a lot of fun! I'll be debuting R from Warm Bodies, Tadashi from Big Hero 6, and my new wig for Guy from Tales of the Abyss. My Gray cosplay and Iron Fist will also be tagging along. Say hi if you see me!

xinitia: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:45 pm
JellyfishAngel
xinitia
JellyfishAngel
I've been going to Sac-Anime since summer 2009. ^^ I'll definitely be at the upcoming winter one!! Still working on my cosplays, though........ xd

I actually got time off for the full Winter Sac-Anime this year!!! I'm super excited!!!

Who are you working on bringing? I'll be bringing Tadashi from Big Hero 6, Guy from Tales of the Abyss, and probably someone from Fairy Tail or Rave Master. If I can get it done, I'd like to debut R from Warm Bodies. My friend's currently working on getting Julie done. Fingers crossed!

I'm gonna be doing both Clear and Virus from DMMD, casual Lita Kino from Sailor Moon, and a secret cosplay!! ^^

What did your secret cosplay end up being?

xinitia: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:12 pm
I had so much fun at Winter SacAnime! Here's my write-up of my experience. It's a bit long...

x Angelic x Kitty x: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:51 pm
Well, my secret cosplay wasn't turning out, so I decided to save it for a later date.

I still brought Clear and Virus, though! And I ended up doing Ren from UtaPri on Sunday heart

xinitia: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:21 pm
SacAnime is coming up again January 4th-6th. I'll be goofing around and presenting three panels. Will I see anyone there?

smithers456: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:47 am
xinitia
SacAnime is coming up again January 4th-6th. I'll be goofing around and presenting three panels. Will I see anyone there?

Hi Zac, thanks for letting us know about SacAnime. I wish that I could go to it. Have a wonderful time at the Con.

ennichi_jimetsu
Thread moved to consolidate con lists 9-04-2023

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:12 am
I just got back from SacAnime Summer 2023! I'll try to edit with photos later once I upload some.

I am constantly amazed at HOW they're able to get the guests that they do? That part was very exciting. The vendors halls were a lot more spacious this time so it was a lot easier to move around (except for peak times on Sat. of course) which made it a lot more comfortable and accessible. However, there was a lot LESS artists ad vendors because of that (at least another row of each could have been added without infringing on Autograph space.) After talking to some of them, apparently table prices have risen to about $850-1k and some people were only notified of their acceptance a week or two in advance. Due to the rising prices, it being harder for newer artists to get in, and their opinion of the organization, a few tables I talked to said this would likely be their last SacAnime.

They've also raised their base pre-reg cost by $10 iirc. And with the cutting of vendors/AA and continuing to get bigger and bigger industry names (who are also charging accordingly. Don Bluth's base autograph price started at $75. his sketches went $300-700+) people are speculating that SacAnime is trying to make industry workers their main draw and money maker.

There was an increased amount of available seating on the 2nd floor of the con center, but the staff of both floors were very inconsistent on where people could sit/stand along walls while resting, causing a lot of confusion and frustration between people I talked to or overheard.

I wasn't able to attend many of the panels, but I do know that last minute they added an extra Don Bluth one on Sunday. The Kpop random dance play was a lot of fun to watch! I was filming some of my friends and I'm glad it was in a larger area than last time, slightly away from the con. There was plenty of space for everyone to dance.

There was an area for weeb car show displays which was pretty cool. Apparently there was an entry fee this time, and it was hosted by a select group. Other people who didn't join also brought their cars and drove or parked them nearby. It was very cool to see! It's becoming a growing niche in my area, so it was nice to see people being respectful and not touching the cars without the owners' permission. Some people had cosplay to match the car wraps!

Later, someone hosted a dance party for everyone by the car show. They were very inclusive and cheering on many people who joined the dance circle to show off! A lot were hip hop dancers, but also children with their guardians, people dancing in and out of their wheelchairs, someone who was able to do the worm in a FULL fursuit, etc. it was really impressive seeing so many people dance together and hype each other up!

While the convention center has a lot of food within walking distance, a lot of places in the surrounding 2-block radius closed early so the employees could check out the con.  
West Coast & Mountain Conventions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games