Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply Archives
[Hiring] Calling All Colorists! - Closed! Congratulations!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm
Calling All Colorists!

Welcome to the Echoes of Pern Hiring Thread!

We're a relatively small shop, with a small core--but at present we're down to two active colorists, and that's just not quite enough! While we might not have the base of other shops, we are looking to expand by hiring a colorist or two to help out!

If you like coloring dragons, and want a relatively chill place to hang out, we might just be the shop for you!

Begins: Now
Ends: ??? -- Technically will keep it open until September 7th @ 1pm PT. After that, I will go through entries and make offers. If nobody enters by then, or none of the entries are what I'm looking for in a colorist, then I will keep the hiring thread open indefinitely.

From there we'll make decisions as we get applicants until we fill the positions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:14 pm
Rules, Expectations, and Rewards

In Echoes of Pern we're looking for skilled individuals who are wiling to dedicate their time and abilities to the shop. We're looking for people who can be team players, will be drama free, and want to keep the game fun. Before you apply, I do want to let you know of some general rules, expectations, and rewards.

Hiring Rules

• All posted work must be your own.
  • All shop templates belong to Uta and Echoes of Pern. Do not share these templates or use them for your own personal gain.
  • Please do not edit the lines. This shop is primarily unedited, which means we keep edits very minimal, and permission must be granted to edit the lines at all. This could change as the shop/story progresses, but for now--what you see is what you get.
  • Do not edit the templates, period. The shading is simple, please do not add to it. We don't have any highlight layer (outside of metallic sheen or eyes) but again, do not add/change it. The templates might be a little rough (obviously you can clean up any colors that are outside the lines, or holes) but this shop sort of got started before everything was polished, and we're just dealing with it. LOL I might clean up the templates someday, or revamp them, but for now... please don't add to them.
  • This position is colorist only. This means if hired you will be expected to color dragons in a timely fashion. You will not get any say over the actual running of the shop, its game play, it's plot, and most of the pets you color will be homed by Cheri and Uta in contests.
  • You must be able to open folders and .PSD files.
  • You must be able to save files as PNGs and know how to use Post Image.
  • You must be able to take criticism and possibly fix or tweak your art when asked.
  • You must be able to get along with people you don't like or are upset with. This is imperative. We don't want personal drama to get in the way of running a smooth and friendly shop. You don't have to like everybody, but you do have to work with the, either as fellow staff members or players.
  • Should we hire a colorist we will give away their designed dragons in some sort of event. Colorists should not plan on keeping them! They will go to players!
  • Please make sure you have the time to devote to the shop. If you miss deadlines or aren't producing enough work, we will let you go.
  • Please make sure you communicate. If RL gets busy please let Uta know so they don't think you're shirking your duties.

Colorist Expectations

• You must be able to color complex patterns on large templates.
  • You must not be solely dependent on brushes or stamps, purchased or not. It's one thing to use them from time-to-time but we also want the work to look original and have brushes blend naturally with hand drawn designs.
  • You should be able to design dragons that are unique with a limited color template, and will need to color a variety patterns ranging from simple to complex; from dragons that might require being based on various themes.
  • You must be willing to design at minimum five (5) adult dragons a month.
  • You will be required to pick up, or be assigned clutch dagons. This means designing dragons based on predetermined colors and themes. Clutch dragons have three stages, and all must be completed prior to the Hatching.
  • You will be required to run Firelizard and Wher breeding raffles.
  • You will be required to help pick up Transfer Thread dragons, Starter Pack Dragons (you must make all 3 for an individual player), This-Is-A-Thread-Dragons, and Nameday Wishes. You should be able to scoop them up without asking.
  • You should be a self starter. While Uta will sometimes have specific tasks he'd like you to work on, you need to be able to keep yourself productive between large scale events and Hatchings.
  • You will need to run all giveaways by Uta. Most dragons are given out in some sort of event and often by RP Staff -- so colorists don't often get a say on where or who their freebie dragons go.
  • You must hang around the thread and Discord. Players (and Staff) gets nervous when colorists are nothing more than ghosts. You don't need to RP (though we would prefer it) but hanging in the thread and Discord would be great when possible.
  • You will need to run your work past Uta until she clears you! We're not super strict but we like to make sure things are going out that fit the shop standard. QC will ALWAYS happen for Hatchling dragons.

Colorist Rewards and Shop Perks

• You are able to color your own pets as payment, with approval.
  • You are able to color pets for your friends as payment, with approval.
  • You will be given a cut of Shop Event paid bribes, auctions, raffles, etc.
  • You get 100% profit from customs, breedings, and paid flatsales or flaffles.

Please note that this shop is more of a volunteer gig. If you're here looking for fast ways to get gold or items you might not find as much of it as you'd like. We will compensate you primarily through pixel pets and gold/items when we get it, but we do give out a lot of free pets for people. Please keep that in mind when applying.

Have any questions? PM Uta!

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm
The Applications

If you're still interested we ask that you fill out this form and post it to this thread. We may not hire everybody, so even if there are applicants that have amazing art ability we may not get to choose everyone. We'll be looking at shop support, colorist skill, and whether or not we think you'll be a good fit with the current staff.

Please fill out the entire form and don't despair if we don't choose you. We may be in touch with you later down the road or open up hiring again later.

Flying Dragon
Seeking Dragon Template

Please don't use these templates for your own use or outside shop hiring. Please don't share these templates or use them as reference material.

[size=28][b][color=green]Let's Get Coloring![/color][/b][/size]
[b]Username:[/b]

[b]How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week?[/b]

[b]Would you be willing to download Discord or some other messenger to do group chats with staff and/or players?[/b]

[b]Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings?[/b]

[b]Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Cheri or a player were to ask?[/b]

[b]Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones?[/b]

[b]What photo editor / digital art program do you use?[/b]

[b]We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue?[/b]

[b]Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern?[/b]

[b]What do you think your biggest challenge is as a B/C colorist?[/b] (If you've never worked in a shop before, tell me what might cause issues if we were to hire you?)

[b]What do you think your biggest strength is as a B/C colorist?[/b] (We're just curious!)

[b]Can you work professionally with individuals you don't like/irritate you/are individuals you've had a beef with in the past?[/b] Be honest. Because chances are, you may have to work with, deal with, see/interact with others you do not like--and as staff, we can't have you blocking folks.

[b]Can you keep shop secrets and not talk to friends about things that might be secret?[/b] We keep a lot hidden/behind the scenes. We're not the sort of shop who encourages streaming, since we like surprises! What happens in the Staff Forum stays secret! This is particularly imperative with Hatchings, as the themes, colors, and dragons need to stay top-secret for a few months.

[b]Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples:[/b] [Use thumbnails or links since the uncerts are large. P.S. Please color lines and shadows. We're not super sticklers, but it is something we'll likely ask you to do, so just putting it out there right now. :3]

[b]Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider:[/b] [It is okay if you don't have any.]

[b]Will you be okay knowing you're here to color, and not run the shop or make suggestions?[/b] Cheri and I are pretty strict about this place and generally have an idea of what we'd like to do with it -- in our slow way. Will you be okay when and if we say no if you have an idea? Will you be okay just coloring?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm
emotion_rainbow Open! emotion_rainbow  

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Zaikt
Crew

Otherworldly Plague

20,675 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Galactic Domination 200
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 am
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: Zaikt

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? honestly more than i should be!

Would you be willing to download Discord or some other messenger to do group chats with staff and/or players? absolutely! i already have discord, but if anything else is needed, i can grab that too :y

Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings? ye!

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Cheri or a player were to ask? yep!

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? Soquili, Kells Wolves, Shadows of Africa (catchup team), My Four Seasons.

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Paint Tool SAI!

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? nop!

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? tbh. i really, really love this shop. it's fed a very specific nostalgia of mine in the exact way i've been looking for, and this place has a great sense of community that makes the whole shop feel like one big hang session. :y i love reading everybody's characters and rps, and i've gotten way too emotionally invested in some of these characters fjhdg. i'd love to be able to give back to the community and color some dragons for folks! being able to do up somebody's character art is always just. really fun, and i also had a total blast working on the hiring lines, which really only made me more excited about the prospect of working here.

What do you think your biggest challenge is as a B/C colorist? i can overwork myself into burnout fairly easily, i've noticed. :s it's something i've been trying to work on, but finding the right balance between a consistent production schedule and not going way too overboard and hurting my wrist again is a lil hard.

What do you think your biggest strength is as a B/C colorist? i can do a bunch of different coloring styles, ranging from super detailed intricate work to stylized cel-style coloring without much difficulty! took a while to learn the best way to swap back and forth but i'm proud of it B'D

Can you work professionally with individuals you don't like/irritate you/are individuals you've had a beef with in the past? yeap!

Can you keep shop secrets and not talk to friends about things that might be secret? of course :y.

Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples:
User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image
User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image
[ alt version to ensure template readability ]
User Image
[ specific colors in order: ]
[ blue | gold | green | bronze | brown ]
[ white | blue | green | blue | brown ]

Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider:
User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image | User Image

Will you be okay knowing you're here to color, and not run the shop or make suggestions? yes!!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:10 pm
Let's Get Coloring!

Username: Alethryia

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? Many hours, when I’m less active probably about 2, but I tend to check in once a day at least, and when I’m very active I check in throughout the day (I keep a tab open on my phone, PC, and laptop).

Would you be willing to download Discord or some other messenger to do group chats with staff and/or players? Already have it on PC & phone, and use it regularly.

Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings? Yup, I tend to be a self-starter and enjoy working on creative pursuits in my free time.

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Cheri or a player were to ask? Yep, learning and growth occur through constructive criticism.

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? Yes, Tendaji [Colorist, prior to its closing.]

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Photoshop [also Illustrator, but that’s not really applicable]

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? Nope, already have one set up with this username that I use exclusively for Gaia.

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? I have a deep and long-standing love for dragons, Pern, and miss being a colorist. Additionally, even though I’m super new here I already really love the atmosphere of this guild/shop, your community is so welcoming and positive.

What do you think your biggest challenge is as a B/C colorist? I can take some time to finish coloring complex pieces as I’m still not particularly Photoshop savvy, but am always working at improving. That being said, I would say I still finish such an assignment within a few days.

What do you think your biggest strength is as a B/C colorist? I truly love bringing people joy in seeing their creative visions realized.

Can you work professionally with individuals you don't like/irritate you/are individuals you've had a beef with in the past? Definitely, I’m a teacher by profession; conflict management and maintaining diplomatic relationships are necessities. I have had a coworker or two that I wasn’t personally fond of, but still collaborated with well, and had to have difficult conversations with parents while maintaining a positive working relationship.

Can you keep shop secrets and not talk to friends about things that might be secret? Definitely, I absolutely adore surprises and seeing people's reactions- I would never want to spoil that fun for the shop. Plus, sharing other people's secrets just feels like a betrayal of trust to me, and I'm not cool with that.

Please post at minimum 5 dragon samples: [Gold] [Bronze] [Brown] [Blue] [Green] [White]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[Tendaji Colorist 1] [Tendaji Colorist 2] [Tendaji Colorist 3] [Tendaji Colorist 4] [Tendaji Colorist 5]

Will you be okay knowing you're here to color, and not run the shop or make suggestions? Yes, I am happy to help but wish to remain respectful to the shop owners and their vision.  

Alethryia

Seasonal Guildswoman

10,625 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:56 am
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: Prism Shine

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? At the very least, roughly an hour everyday

Would you be willing to download Discord or some other messenger to do group chats with staff and/or players? Currently joined! And I’d happily join something else if need be.

Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings? Yes

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Cheri or a player were to ask? Yes

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? Nothing that ever got off the ground, no

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Photoshop CS6

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? No

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? I’ve been in this community going on almost three years and I’d love to help contribute; coloring pets for giveaways, breedings, anything I can do to help.

What do you think your biggest challenge is as a B/C colorist? My tablet is an older model and sometimes likes to pretend that pressure is not a thing.

What do you think your biggest strength is as a B/C colorist? I’m currently unemployed and have too much freetime with my gremlin hands. LOL

Can you work professionally with individuals you don't like/irritate you/are individuals you've had a beef with in the past? Yes

Can you keep shop secrets and not talk to friends about things that might be secret? Yes, absolutely.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Will you be okay knowing you're here to color, and not run the shop or make suggestions? Yes  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 pm
Let's Get Coloring!
Username: faesinger

How much time do you spend on Gaia during the week? I try to check in once a day at least.

Would you be willing to download Discord or some other messenger to do group chats with staff and/or players? I already have discord. Let me know if I need another messenger program.

Are you able to work without direction in between events and hatchings? Yep!

Are you able to take criticism or make changes to a design if Uta or Cheri or a player were to ask? Of course

Have you worked at any Gaia shops in the past? If so, what ones? Soquili (under spelldancer)

What photo editor / digital art program do you use? Photoshop

We'll be sharing files through Google Docs. We'll need an e-mail to invite you to download all the templates. Is this going to be an issue? No issue.

Why do you want to work at Echoes of Pern? I love giving people pets. If I can give them to people I know and interact with frequently even better.

What do you think your biggest challenge is as a B/C colorist? Speaking up. I tend to do my coloring and keep to myself a lot because people intimidate me.

What do you think your biggest strength is as a B/C colorist? Being able to get things out within a time limit. If given a time frame of when a pet is needed, I keep to that time frame.

Can you work professionally with individuals you don't like/irritate you/are individuals you've had a beef with in the past? Yep

Can you keep shop secrets and not talk to friends about things that might be secret? Absolutely

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Please post any other B/C or off-site art you'd like us to consider: Link 1 Link 2 Link 3

Will you be okay knowing you're here to color, and not run the shop or make suggestions? Yep! I just want to color.  

faesinger

Predestined Cultist

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:15 pm
Hello all!

First off, thanks everyone who tried out! We know we're not a huge shop, but we definitely appreciate everyone's interest in coloring for us. We've got a great staff and player base, and always want to think of what's best for both!

That said, we are ultimately a small shop. I'm always worried about over-hiring, so I tend to do so in small numbers. This contest is no different. Ultimately, Cheri and I decided that we would like to off Zaikt a colorist-position here at Echoes of Pern!

Cheri and I will reach out to discuss some feedback on the hiring samples and changes we'll need to see before we can give 'em away, and some general Welcome To Staff stuff, as well as get you access to the staff guild.

Congratulations and welcome to Echoes of Pern!

For everyone else we know you put a lot of work and time into your pets and are interested in helping the shop succeed. One thing Cheri and I are going to create is a Guest Colorist role....

We're still working out the details, but once we've got them hashed out, we'll be looking at past Hiring entries to start--so don't go trashing your work or pulling them! We might offer tryouts for guest coloring, or we might just reach out to those we think might have the chops for this role to see if it's something they're interested in.

We'll get everyone more details as we create them, but think it might be worth offering!

Zaikt

Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff