Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:30 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

King Tau sniffed at the air, trying to catch the scent of something...anything.

There was a brief sickness that seemed to have been caught by a few Pridelands members. It wasn't anything serious, but he had learned to be cautious of anything new that seemed to strike against his pride. He knew that being on constant vigilance was impossible, but he still pushed himself beyond his limits at times to learn everything he could about his peoples, his charges. He may never forgive himself for the disastrous night, so long ago at this point. He still expected the stars to fall again; there was little trust left in the night.

Scouts had reported a pile of dead gazelle near the borders; noting that there was little eaten from them before seemingly abandoned. It was a curious thing, but there was no note of sabotage, of poisoning, or anything else that would explain why. Only afterwards did there seem to be some sort of illness cropping up, but no one had suffered anything more than sneezing fits and extra fatigue. Was this really something to stress about?

He had pressed his messengers to keep him in the loop, and extra scouting shifts along the borders. He still felt like there had to be an explanation...

Ecavi
anyone will do!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 pm
User Image

Life was relatively quiet in the Pridelands of late but an uneasiness still filled the pride. It was what kept Iwe motivated in his job as a soldier. So many Pridelanders could never have imagined needing a standing army here but it was a comfort now. At least, it was to Iwe.

With the scout patrols increased and no training exercises on-going, Iwe had taken on the job of tailing the King as he went about his day. Whether or not Tau wanted it, he was of course a well guarded lion. Though he'd never really spoken to the king before and could never guess at his personal interests or habits, even Iwe noticed something seemed almost haphazard about today's walk.

"Anything I can help you with, your majesty?"

Normally he kept his distance, today he was feeling nosy.  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:20 pm
“Hm?” he mused, head glancing over his shoulder to see where the voice had come from. He was used to some level of followers around him at this point, as one tended to have after a catastrophe happens. As well as him still not having any successors in case he fell. Granted the blood of the royal family was spread out enough that he stopped caring about it at this point in his life.

“Oh.” He didn’t quite recognize this guard, but the shifts rotated a lot as there wasn’t much else to do for the soldiers. Protecting someone safe could get dull fast, and shorter shifts meant they were more alert.

“Just musing on our current issue, small enough as it may be.” He had stopped putting much trust in any of the seers, and at times still missed the false comfort of potential futures that may or may not come to pass. Easy to lull oneself into complacency when safety seemed promised.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:37 pm
Iwe looked eagerly on as Tau finally noticed him and .. brushed off the offer for help with some nonsense belittling the situation they were all in. He shook his head vigorously in response.

"It's no small thing!" he said, "You're responsible for a very large pride."

He didn't envy Tau his position at all, Iwe lived to serve! In.. his own way, at least. He didn't need to be a king to be useful and get all the attention he needed. Plenty of honor, attention and satisfaction just serving a king.

"That's why we're all here to help."  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:01 pm
“I suppose only small enough that no one has been seriously harmed from it, but I still worry that it could lead to something more.” He had tried to not let himself fall into a wary, superstitious leader, but it was hard to reconcile his fears of being a failure and letting his charges die again.

“Have you heard anything yourself? I know not all reports make it to my ears, for many different reasons. Gossip is usually tossed aside before reported to me. Anything that could reflect poorly can also be misconstrued and reported as nothing rather than something. I have trust in my scouts, but nothing or no one is infallible.”

Oops. Perhaps too many words, but this guard seemed interested in listening, and Tau did not say anything he would not want others to hear. Let it spread, that he was trying.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:53 pm
There was a pause before Iwe answered Tau, though he nodded along dumbly as if everything the king said was reasonable and expected. It made sense that gossip wouldn't really make it to him, a lot of it would be pretty easy to brush off as pointless paranoia or troublemaking. It was smart to ignore most of it..

"No, things have been pleasantly quiet," he said, "Though I've been hearing that cult activity is starting to pick up again."

It was little things that hinted at it.. it could also be that life was starting to go back to normal, like some were finally trying to let down their guard.. but that wasn't Iwe's opinion. Trouble, more like.  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:10 pm
The king still couldn’t shake that quiet and pleasant were things he couldn’t quite trust. He knew he was being a bit irrational, and that’s exactly why his concerned went unvoiced. He had nothing other than a gut feeling, and it didn’t feel like that was enough evidence to do anything other than keep the scouts busy.

Except that Iwe mentioned something that he hadn’t hear yet. “Activity? Are they just gathering again?” He had a hard time believing that Vitha would do anything like piling up carcasses of prey beasts and trying to sicken their Pridelands. Not when she kept vowing that her way was to help save and not destroy.

“I haven’t heard about this yet, though I am sure it will come up in reports at some point.” If it was anything more than just congregating again.... he may have to finally put his paw down.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:44 pm
"Seems to be the gist of it," Iwe said with a slight shrug, "None of the usual suspects of course or it would be more than a rumor. I haven't managed to catch sight of any of it myself but I'm watching out for it. The last thing we need is to invite danger in or cause a panic."

He didn't know much about what exactly the cultists believed or were trying to do but it didn't matter. He didn't trust them. Nothing that got labeled a cult was ever good, was it?  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

Safaia

Vice Captain

Trickster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:13 pm
“Noted. I would appreciate if you could keep an ear low to the ground and let me know if you hear anything else. Scouts and messengers have the bulk of the work to carry, but I could be utilizing soldiers to be a bit more assertive themselves....” he paused for a moment, considering

“Well, you have a personal request from me, and if it seems like a solid enough decision I may extend it to others in your rank. For now, continue on what you’re doing but report in if anything catches your eye.” Tau offered him a firm nod.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:26 pm
Iwe puffed up a bit, nodding seriously at the request. The king actually had a job specifically for him! And it was a relatively easy one, he basically spent all of his time being a soldier. It was a decent and interesting life for a bachelor, kept him busy and, on occasions like today, kept his ego fed.

"Of course!" he said.

Whether he had the sense not to push his luck with the king or was just eager to get started, he gave a short bow and went to disappear back into the background around Tau. He'd have to start finding a way to take advantage of this new project, it would definitely be keeping him busy!!  

Ecavi

Vice Captain

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Pridelands

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas